LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

1 hour ago, Phoenix91 said:

Hi everyone, just found this thread and i have skimmed more than actually read (i'm at work)

I'm a genderqueer bisexual here to get in shape.  It's been tough for me to get over the fact that even though i sometimes feel like a guy there's no way i'm going to get those lovely big muscles guys get :*(.  *sigh* oh well, I'll just have to make the body i have as strong as possible.

I feel this so much - I actually was/have been considering HRT for a long time because of this (and am still undecided), though the fitness activities I've been doing have been helping a bit with the whole body shape dysphoria thing since they have a lot of emphasis on upper body strength.

Also, hi all! It's been a couple years since I've been on the forums - genderqueer boxer/rock climber/weightlifter over here :)

• Like 1

Shorn - Level 1 Shadar-Kai

STR - 3 DEX - 1 STA - 2 CON - 2 WIS - 2 CHA - 2 

Current Challenge: N/A  

Daily Battle Log

--------------------------------

"You're faster than this -- don't think you are, know you are." ~Morpheus, The Matrix

Gary was here! Ash is a loser!

Relatively new here and so, so happy to see that this website is both supportive of, and a safe space for, the LGBTQA community. As a bisexual living in an area that has its negative connotations associated with being such, it's a relief to know that here is a safe place. :) Feeling better and better about this site the more I discover about it!

• Like 7

Stella   ::   Sprightly Elf   ::   Level 1

Me!      ::    Battle log       ::   Challenge

5 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

Welcome! Make sure you turn off your invisibility cloak this Friday, too!

Ooh, I'll be sure to! Thanks for the heads up :P

[edit] Actually, come to think of it; what is everyone doing for bi-visibility day? Anybody doing anything special? Any ideas? :) 

• Like 2

Stella   ::   Sprightly Elf   ::   Level 1

Me!      ::    Battle log       ::   Challenge

Hey all! Trans-guy here. Not really involved in the community too much, other than doing some volunteer work with a local pride group. I'm thinking about doing some aesthetics work in the near-ish future, but focusing on just lifting heavy for now - I feel like that crowd tends to be extremely cis/hetero-oriented, even for the fitness crowd at large, so I'm glad to meet more fitness-minded LGBT+etc folks in general. :)

• Like 5

Welcome!

Do what's important to you! I can't really comment on the reality of trans acceptance in the lifting crowd, as a cis guy, but I will say that I'm out as gay at my Gold's Gym. There have been no negative repercussions as a result, on the floor or in the locker room. Admittedly, I'm also in suburban St. Louis, which trends a bit more liberal than the rest of my state. The point is, the ones who are serious care way more about their lifting than what the guy at the squat rack was assigned at birth.

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My Character and Epic Quest

My current Challenge

Previous Challenges: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I've been on the forums since May but just realized this thread exists. NF just gained yet another reputation point with me :D

I'm 35, cis-female in practical presentation, although I resent gender as a governing concept in society and femaleness is not really an important part of how I understand who I am as a person. There's no word for that, though, so I identify as cis-female 99% of the time unless I'm having serious conversations with people about gender and identity.

I identify as queer. Most people think of me as bisexual, and I'd agree except that I don't like the term's reference to a gender binary that I don't think truly exists. The most accurate way for me to describe it is that I'm attracted to people without reference to their biological sex or gender identity. I'm attracted to, and have had relationships with, men and women and people who identify as nonbinary. I know pan-sexual exists as a term but I generally don't use it.

I've had both monogamous and polyamorous relationships. Currently I'm in a long-term relationship with two wonderful people. Been with one of them for 9 years and the other for 5 and the strength of those relationships is a huge part of my happiness. I'm very lucky to have friends and family members who are loving and open-minded about all of this.

I love rock climbing and languages, and history and camping and reading and music and video games. I have no particular purpose in posting on this thread except to say hello, and I'm glad it's here, and that I'm open to finding cool new people who have similar fitness goals or just like friends to waste time on the forums with :)

• Like 6

Fitbit  |  Current Challenge  |  Old Challenges:  1 ~ 2 ~ 3 ~ 4 ~ 5 ~ 6 ~ 7 ~ 8 ~ 9 ~ 10 ~ 11 ~ 12 ~ 13 ~ 14 ~ 15 ~ 16 ~ 17 ~ 18 ~ 19 ~ 20 ~ 21

Forum avatar is custom art by the talented Veronica Guzzardi

Oh my god, I love this site. I've just found this thread as I've been poking around this morning and I'm so grateful. I'm a 30 year old bi female, and while I'm lucky to live in quite a liberal area, I've still had people be extremely judgmental at times (a guy I went out on a couple of dates with recently accused me of "leading men on" among other things). 

Did anyone else have the experience of not realizing they were lgbtq+ until later in life? I knew deep down I was different all through high school, but I didn't know why. It wasn't until I was 23 and watched Farscape and realized I was very, very attracted to Claudia Black that I figured out that I was bisexual and that that was even a thing I COULD be...and man did that ever make high school make sense in hindsight. Lol

• Like 6

"The universe is a dark place. I'm trying to make it brighter before I die." - Thane Krios

8 hours ago, RainbowRivaini said:

Oh my god, I love this site. I've just found this thread as I've been poking around this morning and I'm so grateful. I'm a 30 year old bi female, and while I'm lucky to live in quite a liberal area, I've still had people be extremely judgmental at times (a guy I went out on a couple of dates with recently accused me of "leading men on" among other things). 

Did anyone else have the experience of not realizing they were lgbtq+ until later in life? I knew deep down I was different all through high school, but I didn't know why. It wasn't until I was 23 and watched Farscape and realized I was very, very attracted to Claudia Black that I figured out that I was bisexual and that that was even a thing I COULD be...and man did that ever make high school make sense in hindsight. Lol

I was 20 when I finally figured out that I'm asexual. I identified as bi between high school and then, largely because I didn't truly realize just how different I felt about romance and sex compared to the majority of the world. I also had a very poor understanding of asexuality until I did some research on it for a book idea I had.

I may of been around 25 when I settled on bi-gender (male & neutrois). After trying to figure it out from the age of 18. I went through quite a few gender identities because a) it's hard to pin something fluid down, and B) there was a lot of pressure (which I mostly got from the trans community) to just conform to the gender binary.

(I'm 29 now.)

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

2 hours ago, imprimis5 said:

Happy National Coming Out Day, everyone!

I am happy to be visible as an out gay man and trans ally.

http://www.hrc.org/resources/national-coming-out-day

I came out 13 years ago today! I totally used this day as a push off point. Talk about nerd here but the way I came out to my parents was after dinner I gave them a book I think titled "Now that you know" and told them I was gay. It went over fairly well, though I'm not entirely sure how they reacted directly after because I promptly ran up to my room :P 

Anyways, yes, Happy National Coming Out Day...I wish everyone a supportive group of people surrounding them! 

• Like 1

NF has been incredible for me. The most recent example is that last week my husband sat down with his previously homophobic, hostile father for their first conversation in six months and put everything on the table. Whatever happened, my father-in-law spent the day with us Friday and went out of his way to make me feel included and appreciated. (He's spent the past eight years telling people that I raped his son into having "man-crushes," so this was huge!!!) My husband was a nervous wreck last week and fully credits NF's 20 Seconds of Courage philosophy for his bravery. Here's to leveling up and extending our 20 seconds of courage to others in our lives :D

• Like 6

Hey there.  I am a very new member, looking to start treating my body better.  I'm a genderqueer/genderfluid queer person who uses she/her right now due to an overwhelmingly female body shape.  Hey hey!  

• Like 2

Holtzmann is my copilot.

"have you ever thought 'i am not good enough to do this?' THATS THE SOUND OF YOUR REVERSE TWIN. do not listen. you are good enough to do this" - Chuck Tingle

2 hours ago, A Grue said:

Hey there.  I am a very new member, looking to start treating my body better.  I'm a genderqueer/genderfluid queer person who uses she/her right now due to an overwhelmingly female body shape.  Hey hey!  

Welcome!

One of the great things about the internet is that you can test out different pronouns without worrying about "which one you look like". :)

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

Guess I should finally post here after some time of lurking..

Hi all!! Panromantic asexual here~ My partner is trans and currently 9 months into HRT, so we are navigating that landscape together. ^____________^

(We also live in North Carolina and are furiously hoping our state votes out McCrory and HB2 come November 8th!!!!)

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

3 hours ago, Weakling said:

Hello, thread. :-) I'm trans and bisexual, so I guess this is my pigeonhole? 

Allo and welcome to the Rebellion! Yes, you've been assigned a pigeonhole here, and any attempts to aspire above will be quashed with extreme prejudice.

But seriously, welcome! Judging by your intro post, I think you're going to feel right at home here. I hope we can provide all the support you need!

1 hour ago, shaar said:

Guess I should finally post here after some time of lurking..

Hi all!! Panromantic asexual here~ My partner is trans and currently 9 months into HRT, so we are navigating that landscape together. ^____________^

(We also live in North Carolina and are furiously hoping our state votes out McCrory and HB2 come November 8th!!!!)

Welcome! You've been around in general for a good long time, so I'm glad you came to join us here finally!

• Like 1

Rangers, ho!

My Character and Epic Quest

My current Challenge

Previous Challenges: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

@Zeroh13 We have a week? Coolness.

@Weakling welcome (BTW saw your post in the men only thread, if that's how you identify you're welcome there too as far as I'm concerned.)

Sent from the dragon's lair

• Like 3

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

I'm not strong enough for bodyweight exercises.

Oh yes, you are. You might have to scale them down, but there is no way you are not able to do some bodyweight stuff. 
Can't do push ups? -> knee push ups, then incline Push-ups.
Can't do pull-ups? -> table rows, or towel rows (sling a towel around the doorknobs of an open door, place the door between your feet, and then pull yourself up by pulling on the towel).
Can't do whatever -> just find a slightly easier exercise variation... 

You might want to check out Mark Lauren's "you are your own gym" -  you might want to ignore the part where he brags about his own drunk achievements, but the introduction to training methodology and the selection and presentation of bodyweight exercises alone makes this book pretty useful.

PS: I strongly second @Draegon (Liam P Boyle)'s comment regarding the MOT. Oh, and welcome to NF!
PPS: You better be prepared to change your username to "future former weakling", and, following that, "former weakling". Or something even nicer to yourself. (You might also decide to keep your username, as in a few years it will surely become very ironic.) If you stick with us, you WILL get stronger. Promise.

• Like 6

Rowing, rucking, running, lifting heavy stuff. Why not do it all?

@Draegon (Liam P Boyle) Thanks. And, thanks. How're you doing? I'm sitting being miserable about the lack of exercise stuff where I am. I'm not strong enough for bodyweight exercises.

I'm doing well.

And stating that you're not strong enough for bodyweight exercises is, excuse my language, complete and total utter fucking bullshit. Can you stand up? You can do Zhan Zhuang training. (See the druids or monks for instructions.) Can you sit in a chair? You can do chair Tai Chi or office Yoga. (Report to the druids). Can you punch a pillow? Report to the monks for combat training. Can you roll on the floor? Report to the assasins for training in MoveNat or Parkour.

Everything is a progression. Start with what you can do and go from there.

Sent from the dragon's lair

• Like 1

Race:  Dragonborn     Class:  Druid/Monk

The Journey to Force Mastery: #1 #2  #3 #4 #5 __

The Legend     The Struggle    My MFP Profile    My Strava Profile

11 hours ago, Weakling said:

Hello, thread. :-) I'm trans and bisexual, so I guess this is my pigeonhole? 

No. You do not belong here. Only pigeons belong here.

We must obey the pecking order!

:-)

Anyway. Hello and welcome and stuff like that.

• Like 2

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/