LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

Thanks to Facebook...

Person 1: "The Pope has said that 'trans people', by going against God's will, are as dangerous to global peace and stability as nuclear weapons."

Person 2:"... does that mean countries will stockpile large quantities of dormant trans people, in an attempt to terrify other nations into submission?"

Person 3: "We cannot have a trans person gap! START RECRUITING!"

Aaaand now my head is filled with Dr. Strangelove references. 

36962.JPG

We can not allow...  a trans person gap!

193eyqzh7v57fjpg.jpg

and finally... I want to photoshop Ru-Paul into this.. 

article_3519_v9n3GCF7tX.jpg

• Like 3

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
--------------------------------------------------
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0

I manage to make an account on Okcupid (a start at least), but I have no clue what to write about myself. I'm always bad at anything to do with writing about myself.

I spent a good long time figuring out my blurb for about me on here...and I just copy and paste it and edit out bits that are irrelevant for other places. 

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

thats funny and all, but Ru-Paul is not trans. 

Valid point. Maybe its just ignorance but I dont know the names of any openly trans celebrities.  I opted for funny over accurate.   :( 

Nice 

true

Necessary

Funny

Funny 

You only have to pick 2 of the 5. ... right?

• Like 1

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0

Is it true there have been cases of nipples falling off because of top surgery? I seriously need to stop reading Cracked articles. I'm still freaked out google pictures of what that looks like.

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

We were talking about webcomics a while ago, right?

Trial of the Sun is about a trans man who has to do an incredibly difficult thing to save his father. It's a fantasy comic that does worldbuilding through character-driven story... it's quite amazing. (There's a lot of dialogue and the action does move a little slow, though. But it's highly recommended nonetheless.)

• Like 3

We were talking about webcomics a while ago, right?

Trial of the Sun is about a trans man who has to do an incredibly difficult thing to save his father. It's a fantasy comic that does worldbuilding through character-driven story... it's quite amazing. (There's a lot of dialogue and the action does move a little slow, though. But it's highly recommended nonetheless.)

We were a few days (?) ago

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

So Texas decided to do something out of character and grant a same-sex couple a marriage license last Thursday.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tamerragriffin/one-same-sex-couple-is-now-legally-married-in-texas#.dt1K4WjGG3

• Like 3

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

I know!!! Eeeep

It's only one but it's a small victory none the less.

Goal weight: 135 lbs (61.2 kg), Starting weight: 200 lbs (90.7 kg)

Current Weight: 196.6 lbs (89.2 kg)

5.2%
5.2%

Battle Log | Challenge

The chronicles of my journey through mental illness.

The Stories Not Told

Break the silence. Fight the stigmas. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Level 2 Half-Elf

|STR| 4 |DEX| |STA| |CON| |WIS| |CHA| 5

Hey everyone, I have a question or two regarding gender pronouns and gender-specific English honorifics. 

I've been trying to learn more about the topic (gender identity) in general as well as trying to change the way I've been taught to make split-second decisions about a person's gender based on physical appearances. My starting goal was to use gender-neutral pronouns whenever the person's preferences are unknown. I've come across a problem when dealing with people in the service industry or when I am serving strangers: Do I use gender specific titles such as sir/ma'am/miss? Such terms are expected to be used to be polite and show respect in this part of the South. I'd ask them what pronouns they prefer but the majority of people in this area are 1: in too much of a hurry 2: probably will never see me again and 3: have no idea that gender is separate from primary and secondary sexual characteristics, which results in me giving them an unwanted lecture when they just want to go home. This may lead to my misgendering someone and I don't want to hurt anyone by doing so. Any advice on how to find a happy medium?

Hmm, that's an interesting question - I'm lucky here in Australia; we don't tend to use sir and ma'am in customer service, so I can get away with just being polite about my 'good morning's and 'can I help you's and that's fine.

I guess the question is how many people will notice if you leave them off?  Would it be OK to, say, don't use them generally and be polite otherwise, but if a customer calls you on it say "Of course sir/ma'am, sorry" and use from there?  Or will that cause problems?

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I just finished the Gender Book. I like how gave list of some pronouns you can use instead of she/he. Though I think if you are brave enough just ask what pronouns to use for them. Or be lazy and use their name if they tell you.

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

Do I use gender specific titles such as sir/ma'am/miss? Such terms are expected to be used to be polite and show respect in this part of the South. 

Id recommend leading with your instincts for this - if it's customary to use a gendered greeting then use it. 99% of the time, you're fine with first reaction. The other 1%, you may get it wrong and you'll probably just be corrected. If you are corrected, roll with what they tell you to use? It's okay to accidentally misgender a person (yes it sucks when it happens to you but that's life), so long as you change it up when you are corrected. 

Also! For those trans people who pass, getting that gendered greeting will make them feel a whole lot better. Same for the ones who maybe don't pass but who have informed you of their preferred pronoun. 

• Like 2

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Howdy all, just joined up and nice to find this thread. :) 

• Like 3

Veshki Tral              Lv 0 Assassin Recruit       STR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 0

Veshki starts overVeski Starts Over - Again

"I was once known as the Wanton Wisp, skilled enough in the old climb an' cut that I finally managed the big score I always wanted. All I wanted was the soft life, and damnit I got it. Too much of it. Now my coins purse is getting thinner as fast as I'm getting wider. I gotta get back out there before old enemies come calling."  

Main Quest: Attain goal weight (165) Perform more than one single arm pull up.  

0%
0%

Sleep Hygene: 4/42 points
9.5%
9.5%

Prepare Healthy Meals 4/wk: 4/24 days
16.6%
16.6%

Food Tracking: 5/42 days
4.7%
4.7%

Strength Training: 2/21 days
9.5%
9.5%

Id recommend leading with your instincts for this - if it's customary to use a gendered greeting then use it. 99% of the time, you're fine with first reaction. The other 1%, you may get it wrong and you'll probably just be corrected. If you are corrected, roll with what they tell you to use? It's okay to accidentally misgender a person (yes it sucks when it happens to you but that's life), so long as you change it up when you are corrected. 

Also! For those trans people who pass, getting that gendered greeting will make them feel a whole lot better. Same for the ones who maybe don't pass but who have informed you of their preferred pronoun. 

Yeah, it sucks so bad. I got it wrong a few times when I used to work at Dairy Queen in high school and always felt awful for it. Only had one person ever get angry. I always just rolled with it, apologized, and used the correct pronoun after and it was fine.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf