4 hour body

I picked it up today out of curiosity. I know that steve is a big fan of him and I've read the 4 hour workweek. Has anyone read it? What were your opinions of it?

"It's always the ones that don't do anything that try to bring you down" - Henry Rollins

"There is no meantime, there is only now" - The Ditty Bops

Trail Blazing Elf Ranger Sumdawgtwigg Level 3  STR-3 DEX-4 STA-4 CON-3 WIS-5 CHA-2

Fitocracy

My Game Blog

DO IT CHALLENGE!

Ferriss is banging.

As mentioned above, pick and choose what to read in that book. Also, keep in mind that a lot of what he writes on comes from a very small sample size- it may not work for you. His big thing is experimenting on your own body, so try stuff out and ditch what doesn't work.

Also, you should check out his blog. Lots of great stuff there- and free!

My Log

@petekeller

FB

CrossFit Equipment at FringeSport (Founder)

Most fun fitness read I've ever had.  I lost over 20 lb using his slow carb diet, learned to run better, learned how to grow muscle size more efficiently, all kinds of stuff.  Highly recommend.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It took me a while to get used to Ferriss' writing style - he tends to jump around a bit - but it's an extremely useful book. Take what useful information you can from it, and enjoy the read! 

Level 1 Human Ranger

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | STA: 4 | CON: 2 | WIS: 2 | CHA:

"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then, the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be the miracle." - Phillips Brooks

I've lost 55 doing slow carb. Lost the first 35 without working out a minute. Once I lost the first 35 I became re-invigorated to get back into the gym and to optimize my nutrition, fitness and health. I love the evidence-based approach of 4HB - even though it does tend to be too anecdotal.

The cheat days slowed me down, but they helped me stay on track. My wife has lost over 30 as well. I'm always thrilled to recommend it when people ask.

Favorite quote from the book - "the plural of Anecdote is not Data". (He doesn't claim it's his, he mentions his scientist buddies ride him with the phrase.)

D

"Why didn't I concur? I should have concurred!"

• Like 1

I didn't get much out of the book, but I'm not going to sit in an ice bath to drop a few pounds.

His sex tips are good. They aren't perfect, but close enough that a lot of women would be so much happier if every guy learned how to do them.  Maybe if he does an updated version I will fill him in. :) 

• Like 1

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

Never read it, but it seems like a book that offers too many 'Silver Bullets' by selling 'Snake Oil'

Correct me if I am wrong?

You're wrong. It's not silver bullets, but things that can help. The muscle hypertrophy is based on time under tension studies and his own experiments on himself using it. The diet is basically paleo with legumes and is basically designed around followed a few simple rules to keep you glycemic load down. The running section is based on pose running instead of heel striking, which is more energy effecient.

Really, he takes some things that have been shown in studies to work, breaks them down, tests them on himself to double check, and reports back.

• Like 3

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Never read it, but it seems like a book that offers too many 'Silver Bullets' by selling 'Snake Oil'

Correct me if I am wrong?

So you haven't read it, but you're offering an opinion on it? Hmmm...

I often wonder if that's one of the downsides of a democracy - everyone feels like their opinion matters. Whether its informed or not.

Thank you Gainsdalf, interestingly I walked past a second hand copy between when I asked the question and now (so I did the obvious thing). I look forward to reading the bit on perfecting sleep.

Derek - really? read the question. 

Seem

VERB

[NO OBJECT]
Give the impression of being something or having a particular quality:

Race - Human

Class - Jedi / Sentinel Level - 4 / 0.5
Battle Log: Holo-Log

Current Challenge: Nil

Yes

SEEMS like you didn't read the book.

SEEMS like your opinion is woefully underinformed about what's in the book.

SEEMS like you don't know what a question is.   {Never read it, but it seems like a book that offers too many 'Silver Bullets' by selling 'Snake Oil'} Not a question. {Correct me if I am wrong?} - not a question, despite your question mark.

Give the impression of being something or having a particular quality:  Yes, this is my actual point. That you developed your impression without reading the book. Therefor you in a poor position to offer an informed opinion on it. Thank you for supporting my position.

Don't you have better things to do than being a grammar nazi on an internet forum post? I got his point, he was stating the impression it gave and wanted people to tell him whether it was accurate or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

I believe there's a substantial difference in being a grammar nazi and supporting the idea that a person should read a book in order to proffer an opinion on it. I'm willing to admit perhaps I misread the intent of the statement and that he was really seeking to improve his information. But it doesn't really seem like that's what he was saying. And is it any better to be an anti-grammar-nazi nazi than just a plain old grammar nazi? I point your mirror at you sir, and you see a very similar image as I see in mine. :P  Yours is just in better shape. And can DL waaaay more than me.

I would be interested to see effects of the ice bath protocol. But i hate cold, so it's not gonna happen. I moved 2000 miles to escape the cold.

Heh.  There was/is an "ice chip" diet based on similar reasoning - by consuming ice chips, you would (hypothetically) force your body to burn more calories.

I didn't get much out of the book, but I'm not going to sit in an ice bath to drop a few pounds.

His sex tips are good. They aren't perfect, but close enough that a lot of women would be so much happier if every guy learned how to do them.  Maybe if he does an updated version I will fill him in. :)

Great, now I must experiment!  For science! :D

• Like 1

Great, now I must experiment!  For science! :D

Always for science. 

• Like 1

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

This seems to be the only "fitness" book I come back to ever.  A lot of his methodology can be applied to different systems than the ones he advocates while still providing benefits.

I mean, just his "take a photo of your meal before you eat it" method did WONDERS for how I think about food, and it would have been worth the read alone just for it introducing me to the kettlebell.

LEVEL 0 - Bosmer Ranger

STR: 0 -- DEX: 0 -- STA: 0 -- CON: 0 -- WIS: 0 -- CHA: 0

Level 1 Challenge Thread

“Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.†- Al Swearengen

I Write Stuff

Slow carb didn't do much for me except make me gassy. I managed to aggravate some injuries with the kettlebell workouts, though the myotactic crunch is pretty good stuff.  Ultimately, take what works and leave what doesn't. 

Unless there are cannoli, in which case you should always take the cannoli.

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson