THE NEXT 6 WEEK CHALLENGE STARTS MONDAY, Sept 15th. [Challenge Forum] is now live!

Helpful Links to start the challenge:
[Challenge Instructions]
[Challenge Rules Subforum]
[Challenge FAQ]
[Role Playing] - Creating your character and rolling your stats
[Guild Leaders and mods] - If you have questions or issues these are the people to ask :)

Photo
- - - - -

REI flash 18

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alienjenn

alienjenn

Ranger Ambassador

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7831 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

http://www.rei.com/p...i-flash-18-pack

got a new pack last saturday and used it hiking on sunday :) :)

Loved it... it has a big pocket at the back (inside) for holding your hydration bladder (ordered one from goruck I will let you know how I liked it)  I used it for holding two 1.5 L bottles... the back is lightly padded and once I buckled the two straps across the chest and belly it didn't bump at all... it was a very low profile bag... we hiked old rag (very strenuous hike with some small spots) and there was only like two spots where I had to take it off to get through (and those were spots where I scrapped myself going through so ANY bag would have been too big!)

I usually carry a string bag because I don't like weight on my back and I don't carry much... this bag had 3L of water and snacks and rope for climbing... and once it was on and sinched I could hardly tell I had anything on... the straps have a good padding but they are like waffle weaved or something so they are very light and breathable (of course it was COLD the day we went (tMAX was probably 40F tMIN was in the teens) so I don't know how the straps will feel in the heat)

used it over different layers of clothing (from just my tee shirts to all that and a hoodie) depending on the temp... and it was easy to adjust to the different thicknesses of clothes... 

it has loops on the outside that I used a carabiner to attach my rope so it was easily accessible... worked well... 

there is an opening in the top for the hydration bladder tube to go through... once mine comes I will tell you how i like it :)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

PvE               PvP FOODZ

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT current  Backstory CNF2014

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

#2 petekeller

petekeller

Malcontent

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

I've got this pack as well- it's a great light pack.

I abused mine- I rucked 25+ pounds of load in it a few times for 10k plus, then I ran (and won) an adventure race of about 9 miles in it with about 22# in it. During the race, one of the straps almost ripped- but it held up through the end.

I returned it to REI and got another!

My Log

@petekeller

FB

CrossFit Equipment at FringeSport (Founder)

#3 Raincloak

Raincloak

Renegade

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

REI is awesome, I've never not liked something I bought there (except for the price tag!  If you're gonna shop there a lot, join the co-op and get kickbacks).

There will be days when you cannot be awesome.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 138 lbs. It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

#4 alienjenn

alienjenn

Ranger Ambassador

• 7831 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

I def intend to join the club if I shop there more... I just found a shop recently (about two hours from here) but they are online too Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

#5 NomadicHealth

NomadicHealth

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I was about to buy a 18 flash pack from REI but then found the rei stuff travel pack and now I dont know which one to get!  Going to be using it primarily as a daypack around South East Asia.  Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the stuff travel pack as well as the flash pack.  

http://www.rei.com/p...uff-travel-pack

#6 petekeller

petekeller

Malcontent

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Looks like you won't go wrong either way. I took a look at the reviews of the stuff travel pack, and some people complained about the lack of sternum and hip strapping.

My Log

@petekeller

FB

CrossFit Equipment at FringeSport (Founder)

#7 alienjenn

alienjenn

Ranger Ambassador

• 7831 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I was about to buy a 18 flash pack from REI but then found the rei stuff travel pack and now I dont know which one to get!  Going to be using it primarily as a daypack around South East Asia.  Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the stuff travel pack as well as the flash pack.  

http://www.rei.com/p...uff-travel-pack

The flash works as a stuff sack when you turn it inside out... And the chest/hip straps really help distribute the weight :)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

#8 NomadicHealth

NomadicHealth

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Ah never really took the sternum/hip strap into consideration. good call!

#9 alienjenn

alienjenn

Ranger Ambassador

• 7831 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

Ah never really took the sternum/hip strap into consideration. good call!

This is the first bag I've been able to use them on... I've always been too fat... I couldn't believe the difference it made in making the load comfortable

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

#10 ARock10

ARock10

Rookie

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

I've used my Flash 18 for 3 years - it's made it through rock climbing and hiking trips - great bag!

Check out my still-fighting-it-battle-log 

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users