THE NEXT 6 WEEK CHALLENGE STARTS MONDAY, JUNE 9TH. [Challenge Forum] is now live!

Helpful Links to start the challenge:
[Challenge Instructions]
[Challenge Rules Subforum]
[Challenge FAQ]
[Role Playing] - Creating your character and rolling your stats
[Guild Leaders and mods] - If you have questions or issues these are the people to ask :)

Photo
- - - - -

Parkour in Groups

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne

Recruit

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

For the two years or so that I've been doing Parkour, I'm not really had anyone to free-run, train or practice with. Do you think that this is detrimental for my progression in Parkour, and if so how is the best way for me to get more people interested in practicing with me? I've thought about starting a Parkour club, but I don't know how well that would work. Thoughts? 

STR - 9 DEX - 10 STA - 12 CON - 6 WIS - 12.5 CHA - 5 Level 4 Assassin Soldier 

ADAPT OR DIE. 

#2 CROW

CROW

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

Me and some guys used to run together and get ideas how to use architecture as our gym. We would talk about how animals did climbs and crawls and other junk; very good to come up with stuff. There's also the addition of trying out stuff where more than one person can do things. That's what parkour was thought up for: all possibilities. It's not set so you have anything.

I recommend finding a group because I had so much fun. But I would go against the originality of it to say it wold be necessary. A lot of athletes are interested in it. Every time I go to a sports center I get a lot of questions and you just see a craving in them lol. You just have to put your word out.

#3 HansBraggart

HansBraggart

Recruit

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

i do not believe flying solo is detrimental. i do, however, believe that training using the buddy system will make you learn more and faster.

Hans Braggart
Sideshow Freak Assassin
STR 8 | DEX 3 | STA 8 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 3

You should check out my press kit here - http://goo.gl/1PA5W

#4 Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne

Recruit

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Me and some guys used to run together and get ideas how to use architecture as our gym. We would talk about how animals did climbs and crawls and other junk; very good to come up with stuff. There's also the addition of trying out stuff where more than one person can do things. That's what parkour was thought up for: all possibilities. It's not set so you have anything.

I recommend finding a group because I had so much fun. But I would go against the originality of it to say it wold be necessary. A lot of athletes are interested in it. Every time I go to a sports center I get a lot of questions and you just see a craving in them lol. You just have to put your word out.

I've noticed a growing interest in the number of people who know what Parkour is (when they ask what my hobbies are) and there seems to be a greater awareness of it. Maybe more people will start doing it as a result! 

What sort of info did you and your fellow traceurs come up during your training? I'd love to know what you found out. 

i do not believe flying solo is detrimental. i do, however, believe that training using the buddy system will make you learn more and faster.

I feel a certain freedom when doing Parkour on my own, so I'd have to learn to reshape my training habits. 

ADAPT OR DIE. 

#5 CROW

CROW

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

Some of the things we had interest in was wall gymastics. Like jumping and pivoting on hardly slanted surfaces. There was a video that got us interested in that sort of stuff of a renown runner in a Santa suit just doing flips off of walls. That mixed with our interest in wall jumping, somehow scaling between walls to climb up like in vidya games.

Then there was the idea of buddy systems. If one person can't do it, maybe more than one. That includes jumping off of someone to get over a block and then helping them up. Or even doing it like the lemmings and making bridges or anything really with your body.

#6 Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne

Recruit

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

Some of the things we had interest in was wall gymastics. Like jumping and pivoting on hardly slanted surfaces. There was a video that got us interested in that sort of stuff of a renown runner in a Santa suit just doing flips off of walls. That mixed with our interest in wall jumping, somehow scaling between walls to climb up like in vidya games.

Then there was the idea of buddy systems. If one person can't do it, maybe more than one. That includes jumping off of someone to get over a block and then helping them up. Or even doing it like the lemmings and making bridges or anything really with your body.

That's one of the things I actually need to work on; my back ejects, tic tacs and wall runs. Haha I've actually seen the video you're talking about, so I totally understand what you mean. 

Interesting idea. Most of the parkour that I see nowadays seems like its being done to show off people's acrobatic, gymnastic or tricking skills, but when you bring teamwork into it all that kind of changes a little bit. 

ADAPT OR DIE. 

#7 CROW

CROW

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

A lot of synchronization would be needed and communication for sure. But you can always see gymists throwing people around, using their bodies as springs - looks like fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users