THE NEXT 6 WEEK CHALLENGE STARTS MONDAY, JULY 28th. [Challenge Forum] is now live!

Helpful Links to start the challenge:
[Challenge Instructions]
[Challenge Rules Subforum]
[Challenge FAQ]
[Role Playing] - Creating your character and rolling your stats
[Guild Leaders and mods] - If you have questions or issues these are the people to ask :)

Photo
- - - - -

Do I Need To Lose Weight?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne

Recruit

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I'm about 5' 9", and about 190 lbs. I can run a 10k, do 40 push-ups, 40 sit-ups, a 2 minute plank, 13 pull-ups, Parkour, and sprint for about 200 yards before I start to lose my breath. I'd like to up my reps and times for a lot of those exercises, but I'm wondering if I need to lose weight and some excess fat before I start building some more ab muscles and what not. Based on the research that I've done, I probably should weigh around 160, but almost all my excess fat is on my stomach and I don't know what I should do next. Any suggestions? 

STR - 9 DEX - 10 STA - 12 CON - 6 WIS - 12.5 CHA - 5 Level 4 Assassin Soldier 

ADAPT OR DIE. 

#2 Strawberry Squatcake

Strawberry Squatcake

Renegade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4404 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

Is there room for improvement in your diet? If so, my suggestion would be to work on diet. In the meantime, keep working on improving the things listed above. I bet you'll see some improvement in both simultaneously.

Shape-Shifting Ginger

Current Battle Log (I know I type a lot. Don't feel like you have to read it or keep up. It's how I work through anything I'm struggling with. Or remember what I did.)

2" washers for smaller weight increases

#3 Flex Luthor

Flex Luthor

NF Powerlifting and Bench Press Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

If you want to see your abs then yes. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape though so losing weight wouldn't be necessary.

#4 Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne

Recruit

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Is there room for improvement in your diet? If so, my suggestion would be to work on diet. In the meantime, keep working on improving the things listed above. I bet you'll see some improvement in both simultaneously.

What do you mean by improvement? I'm not eating Paleo, but I hardly ever eat dessert, I don't drink soda, I don't eat candy or other sweets, and I don't drink coffee. Do you think I should try taking something that I normally eat, like dairy or grains? 

If you want to see your abs then yes. Sounds like you're in pretty good shape though so losing weight wouldn't be necessary.

Well, a six pack wouldn't hurt, but it'd be a lot of work. I'd settle for losing ten pounds. 

ADAPT OR DIE. 

#5 Flex Luthor

Flex Luthor

NF Powerlifting and Bench Press Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

Well, a six pack wouldn't hurt, but it'd be a lot of work. I'd settle for losing ten pounds. 

I think that's your answer. If you want to lose weight you should lose weight.

#6 Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne

Recruit

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I think that's your answer. If you want to lose weight you should lose weight.

I guess I shouldn't over complicate things. :) My biggest struggle in trying to lose weight is fighting my hunger cravings. Usually, I do really good throughout the day and then eat a big dinner, which is one of the worst things you can do. :/ I had a big breakfast today, so that should make it easier to fight my hunger. 

ADAPT OR DIE. 

#7 PGurung

PGurung

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

The question is are you happy with the way you are? Take some time to answer it to yourself and move forward accordingly.

#8 Strawberry Squatcake

Strawberry Squatcake

Renegade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4404 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

I think I misread your question. I thought you were asking if you should lose weight BEFORE you work on other fitness stuff. And I was saying there's no reason you can't do both simulatneously. However, since that's not what you asked, that's not helpful! 

And when I said "is there room for improvement?" l meant are there areas, like you said with hungover eating, you can pinpoint as areas of improvement you know are holding you back. Sometimes the stuff people need to eliminate are things they openly acknowledge, but  haven't really worked out the best way to reduce/eliminate them. For me, that was bread stuff (like sandwiches, pizza, etc.). I knew I needed to reduce/eliminate, but didn't know where to start. NF helped me conquer that.

Cutting out or reducing grains does help some people drop weight. I personally feel better with far less or no grains. So you could try cutting them out for thirty days, and see how you feel. If you feel better and lose weight, you might decide you don't really need the grains, or need far less of them.

I think what I'm saying not so eloquently, is that there are lots of ways you can reduce net calories (eat less or move more). BUT, that's not what you were asking. So if you  want to lose weight, I think you're already moving the right direction!

Shape-Shifting Ginger

Current Battle Log (I know I type a lot. Don't feel like you have to read it or keep up. It's how I work through anything I'm struggling with. Or remember what I did.)

2" washers for smaller weight increases

#9 Waldo

Waldo

Revolutionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5724 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

I guess I shouldn't over complicate things. :) My biggest struggle in trying to lose weight is fighting my hunger cravings. Usually, I do really good throughout the day and then eat a big dinner, which is one of the worst things you can do. :/ I had a big breakfast today, so that should make it easier to fight my hunger. 

Hunger is your body telling you that you usually eat right now (or eat more right now), not that you need to.

Eating a big dinner is no big deal.  I usually eat half or more of my daily calories, when cutting, bulking, or maintaining, within 3 hours of going to bed at night.

waldo

currently bulking

battle log challenges: 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 
personal website: strength unbound  
follow me: twitter, myfitnesspal
progress photos: Month to Month since 1-2-2012

don't panic!

#10 Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne

Recruit

• PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Hunger is your body telling you that you usually eat right now (or eat more right now), not that you need to.

Eating a big dinner is no big deal.  I usually eat half or more of my daily calories, when cutting, bulking, or maintaining, within 3 hours of going to bed at night.

Thanks for the help Waldo. You're something of a legend on this forum, so your advice is greatly appreciated. I guess I had thought that big evening meals were bad because our metabolisms are so much faster in the mornings than the evenings. 

ADAPT OR DIE. 

#11 Horsedog

Horsedog

Rebel

• PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:35 AM

I'm about 5' 9", and about 190 lbs. I can run a 10k, do 40 push-ups, 40 sit-ups, a 2 minute plank, 13 pull-ups, Parkour, and sprint for about 200 yards before I start to lose my breath. I'd like to up my reps and times for a lot of those exercises, but I'm wondering if I need to lose weight and some excess fat before I start building some more ab muscles and what not. Based on the research that I've done, I probably should weigh around 160, but almost all my excess fat is on my stomach and I don't know what I should do next. Any suggestions? 

If you want to see abs, yes, you need to lose fat.  Abs will start to show around the 15% body fat level.  I don't know that I'd pay that much attention to what online calculators say you should weight, though - they're not terribly useful (although I understand they can give you a general target/goal).  Focus on progressing your rep ranges/times (or simply keeping them at their current levels), find yourself a good diet strategy (one that fits your lifestyle and habits), and then follow that strategy.  Shoot for that 10 lbs first, and then go from there!

Note - by "good diet strategy", I mean one that creates a reasonable caloric deficit.

What you do, and what you don't do, matters.

#12 Cr33g

Cr33g

Malcontent

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

Sounds like you've got your answer, Jason Bourne. If you want to see your abdominal muscles then yeah, you'll need to lose weight, or at the very least body fat in general.

It sounds like you're already pretty fit and physically active :). All you'd need to do is look at your diet, then your set.

Check out my web comic - Reckless Abandon

Then there's "GR Strips", my collaborative web comic with GameRevolution.com 

I also like to draw t-shirt designs and try to sell them. If you'd like to see my portfolio so far, check out my RedBubble account. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users