THE NEXT 6 WEEK CHALLENGE STARTS MONDAY, JUNE 9TH. [Challenge Forum] is now live!

Helpful Links to start the challenge:
[Challenge Instructions]
[Challenge Rules Subforum]
[Challenge FAQ]
[Role Playing] - Creating your character and rolling your stats
[Guild Leaders and mods] - If you have questions or issues these are the people to ask :)

Photo
- - - - -

Rebel Fitness vs Rebel Strength programs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HeyLookOverThere

HeyLookOverThere

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

Hi all,

I need to lose weight like yesterday. I'm at my all-time high at 320lbs. I had the stark realization that the people I see on TV doing the Biggest Loser, who I always look at and go, man how do you let it get away from you? Well, that's me. Although I tend to think I'm a little more athletic and driven than those people (I did run a 5K last year in about 40 minutes, not blazing, but not too slow). So a little about me first:

1) 27y/o male, 320lbs, 5'11" 

2) Athletic, really like sports (baseball, basketball, football), so looking for something that will help me get back into those

3) Live in a cold climate, so winter sucks for being outside (Dec-Mar is pretty harsh)

4) I am a desk jockey, so movement at work is minimal (although I do have a standing desk so I'm not sitting all day)

5) Did P90X and got to a personal adult low of 240, felt great, go lazy, and here I am

Goals: 

1) Lose weight, first and foremost. If I could get to like 215 over the course of a year, I'd be thrilled

2) Gain strength, I used to be a brama bull (bench was around 275, squat was around 450) 

So my question (and sorry if this has been answered before, I searched but didn't find anything): Which program is best geared toward someone like myself? Rebel fitness or rebel strength? 

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to joining you all! 

#2 Laureleye

Laureleye

Renegade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2976 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

To lose weight, you need to eat less - no amount of lifting will help.  I highly recommend getting the guide to healthy eating (you'll find it on the free resources when you click the NERDFITNESS tab). 

If you want to do heavy lifting/get seriously strong, you want the Strength Guide.  Although, if you're starting at ground zero with strength training there is no reason you can't start with the Fitness guide.  I don't have the strength guide myself, but I do have the fitness guide.  The rebel fitness guide has a series of workouts intended to ramp you up; so it starts fairly easy and gets progresses you though ever more difficult workouts. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |  8 | 9 | 1011 | 12 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

#3 Helkaahaien

Helkaahaien

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

To lose weight, you need to eat less - no amount of lifting will help.  I highly recommend getting the guide to healthy eating (you'll find it on the free resources when you click the NERDFITNESS tab). 

If you want to do heavy lifting/get seriously strong, you want the Strength Guide.  Although, if you're starting at ground zero with strength training there is no reason you can't start with the Fitness guide.  I don't have the strength guide myself, but I do have the fitness guide.  The rebel fitness guide has a series of workouts intended to ramp you up; so it starts fairly easy and gets progresses you though ever more difficult workouts. 

I agree with Laureleye on this. I have both the RFG and the RSG but only bought both due to the discount. Right now I am only focusing on the RFG to lose the weight. My long term plan/goal is once I get to my goal or near it (which I hope to be around when I finish the RFG) I will switch to the RSG for the toning and strength training. After that from what I've read on line repeat the RSG over and over, just add more weight as you go.

In all honestly to start out I really do support the RFG. I've only been doing it for a week and though my weight hasn't really changed my body has. Also keep in mind that diet is the main part of hitting your goals. Read the guild to healthy eating. It has officially changed my life and really opened my eyes. Though its a slow change I am almost to where I want to be on the diet part and making my life healthier which will in turn lead to the body/figure I want.

Helkaahaien Stone Giant Adventurer

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]My Intro Post[/font] | MFP My [font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]|[/font][font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"] My Blog[/font]

[font="tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;"]"Remember if you plan to stay, those who give can take away, don't bite the hand that feeds you"[/font] - Steppenwolf

#4 OtakuJolyn

OtakuJolyn

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

I'm also curious about both plans, would a beginner really benefit from the RSG from the start? Would doing RFG then RSG be more easier?

Human Adventurer

Level 0

|| STR: 0 || DEX: 0 || STA: 0 || CON: 0 || WIS: 0 || CHA: 0 ||

---

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."

#5 Athena

Athena

Patron Goddess of Heroes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

I haven't purchased either, but from gossip I've heard round the boards, the Rebel Fitness Guide is more centred on weight loss, so might be the best one for you to start with, I think.

Usually recommendation is to slim down, *then* focus on muscle building. (Personally, I favour lifting *while* dieting, even though you won't see big muscle/strength gains you will get some...just not as much as if you're eating at a surplus.) You've got some powerlifting experience, so you probably wouldn't need the Strength guide as much as someone who's never set foot in the free weights section.

Level 8 Half-Elven Warrior: Str 24, Dex 9, Sta 17, Con 17, Wis 25, Cha 16.
Adventurer Guild Leader | Goal weight reached! 18.2kg (40lb) lost. | Chin-up PR: 14 | My Success Story
Current inspiration: Willpower is not infinite.
Current battle log:Athena's Olympian Battles| Past challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

#6 coach8945

coach8945

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I hear you HeyLookOverThere I am in the exact same spot as you.  Got heavy and trying to fix my life.  One point I was at 354 I thought how disgusting a person I was. I did the hcg diet with my mother in law and lost 40lbs but gained about 25 ish back lost that and now back down to 318 but am stuck there, don't worry it will work.  Just have to like they say eat better and start doing something.  HAven't got the fitness guide yet but may look into it.  Best of luck on your journey.

#7 hk94

hk94

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Just purchased the RFG this week with a primary goal of weight loss. I'm starting with the Rookie (Level 1) workouts, which is actually substantially fewer exercises and muscle groups than I was doing on my own. I have no doubt it will kick my butt and help me lose weight. It will help me with some core strength, which is a weakness. However, there are some muscle groups that are not even targeted during the progression from Level 1 to Level 4. If getting good muscle definition is a long term goal, I think you'll want to graduate to the strength guide (I haven't seen it yet). 

Regardless of the guide you use, as others have mentioned, it's mostly about the diet. I would like to lose 25 pounds. I didn't gain those 25 pounds because I wasn't active (although sitting on the couch doesn't do me any favors). I've got this extra weight because I like to eat! I like to cook! I am in a very serious relationship with wine. Eating right is easier said than done! 

[color=rgb(178,34,34);]Level 1 Wood ELf Adventurer[/color]

[color=rgb(178,34,34);]4 Str | 2 Dex | 1 Con | 2 Sta | 3 Wis | 3 Cha[/color]

Challenge thread

#8 bombshell

bombshell

Recruit

• PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

i have this conundrum as well. i'd like to buy one of the guides, but not sure which one. i have a lot of weight to lose (6' tall woman, current weight 290) but i'm also pretty active. i play roller derby with three hours of moderately intense practice twice per week, plus 2-3 45 minute body weight workouts per week (based on the NF beginner body weight workout with a few extra derby-specific exercises added in). i eat 90% paleo but i do drink a fair bit of alcohol most weekends, which is my downfall.

my goals are to lose weight/size, get strooooong, and improve my endurance. i feel like i'm beyond beginner level in terms of my nutrition knowledge and some of my physical skills, but still have a long way to go. i'm leaning toward the NSG at this point. halp?

[color=#800080;][font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]bombshell[/color][/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]level 3[/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]amazon adventurer[/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]STR 8.5|DEX 2.75|STA 7.25|CON 8|WIS 9.25|CHA 3[/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"][color=rgb(0,128,128);]q[/color][/font][color=rgb(0,128,128);font-family:'courier new', courier, monospace;]ueen of the rink[/color]

#9 hk94

hk94

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

i feel like i'm beyond beginner level in terms of my nutrition knowledge and some of my physical skills, but still have a long way to go. i'm leaning toward the NSG at this point. halp?

I think we are in a similar boat - I have a background in endurance sports before I got fat, and had been lifting with a personal trainer for 4 months before buying the guide. I also feel I have a very good handle on nutrition, I just make poor choices because my will power is weak (plus wine is good). That being said, I'm using the RFG not as a teaching method, but really a framework that put everything together for me for workouts (I did not find the nutritional portions of the guide to be of any value, to be honest). Depending on your situation, $40 may be kind of expensive when you are just looking for a workout routine, but for me, it was totally worth it for the spreadsheets. I am a nerd about stats, and have used not having a good form for recording so I can go back and crunch numbers as an excuse not to workout. This is ready to go, on my dropbox drive so it is synced to all my smart devices (one of which I always have with me at the gym). One less excuse I can make.

Again, not sure if I'm the right person to be talking about a guide or not, since I just got it, but I do feel really confident that the workouts included will challenge me in ways I wasn't able to do on my own.

[color=rgb(178,34,34);]Level 1 Wood ELf Adventurer[/color]

[color=rgb(178,34,34);]4 Str | 2 Dex | 1 Con | 2 Sta | 3 Wis | 3 Cha[/color]

Challenge thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users