THE NEXT 6 WEEK CHALLENGE STARTS MONDAY, Nov 10th. There is a two week break this time! See you soon rebels!

Helpful Links to start the challenge:
[Challenge Instructions]
[Challenge Rules Subforum]
[Challenge FAQ]
[Role Playing] - Creating your character and rolling your stats
[Guild Leaders and mods] - If you have questions or issues these are the people to ask :)

Photo

GrimmThing: I AM the Boss of Me!

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Amazon Grimm

Amazon Grimm

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I'm on a good kick mentally (Med adjustment) and finding a little bit easier for discipline.

I'll post the full details by Monday morning, but here are my basic goals.

Lifting:  Continuing Greyskull LP, I'm loving the slower progression and the resets.

Diet:  Soda elimination.  

Mobility:  *grumble*  Planks (measured for time) and Warrior Lunge Hip Flexor stretches (measured for time)

Life:  Complete daily housework standards 5 days per week.

I'm also just trying to watch my junk food intake, eat more veggies, and struggling to find a cardio exercise  I like.

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

Current Challenge NF Workout Log

#2 Aqweei

Aqweei

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Seems like our goals are right there with each other. Although mine arent completely listed out I need to do everything you mentioned. Definitely need to work on some hip mobility. Good luck! I'm subbing :D

[font="'Arial Black';"]Wandering Warrior[/font]
Level 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25

[font="'Century Gothic';"]"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"[/font]

[font="'Century Gothic';"]Battle Log | Fitocracy[/font]

[font="'Century Gothic';"]Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 [/font]

#3 wildross

wildross

Innovator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4628 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

Mobility!! Yes, I'm with you on this one.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

Husband to Christartist on the forum

Current Challenge

Tally sheet for the year

Accountability group for older folk #2

Accountability group for older folk

Previous challenges 

Wildross recovery and ruck preparation #2 ,

Wildross Recovery and Ruck Preparation, 

Wildross Continues Healing Round 3

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

#4 LadyInRed

LadyInRed

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'm loving your title. You are the boss of you! Not food, soda, or anything else.

[color=#b22222;][font="georgia, serif;"]Level 2 Fire elemental adventurer[/color][/font]
[color=#ff8c00;][font="'Times New Roman';font-size:medium;"]STR 3.75|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 5|WIS 5.5|CHA 4[/color][/font]

[color=#696969;]Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 2: Burn[/color]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"][color=rgb(128,128,128);]Challenge: LadyInRed's Cycle 1: Rise[/color][/font]

#5 Amazon Grimm

Amazon Grimm

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Lifting:
Continue my GSLP Routine
  Sunday-
    Bench Press 3x5*
    Barbell Curls 2x10*
    Sumo Deadlift 1x5*
  Thursday-
    Press 3x5*
    Barbell Row 2x8*
    Low Bar Squat 3x5*
All Lifts, last set is as many reps as possible, number is minimum reps.

+3 STR, +1 CHA

Diet:
Cut down to 4 cans of diet soda per day.  No sugared beverages.

+2 CON, +1 CHA

Mobility and Ab work:

Planks- start with 6 10 second planks daily, increasing to 4 30 second planks..

Warrior Stretch (Hip F13><0R5)- try same as planks, on each side.

+2 DEX

Life Goal:
Daily Standards- 
My wife and I developed a standard set of daily chores to keep our house in order, and they just get done at specific points in our day.

+3 WIS

GrimmThing - Warrior

Maybe I'm just too dumb to collapse - - too ugly to die !! I'll let you figure out the reasons...

#6 thirster42

thirster42

Renegade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

hey grimm!!  how are you going about eliminating soda?  Cold turkey?

Here's how i did it, for reference: http://nerdfitnessre...-kicks-the-can/

Also, iv'e found that having notes that say "I don't want soda" and other such things tend to help a lot.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

#7 Amazon Grimm

Amazon Grimm

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

Well, I've already shifted over the bulk of my soda consumption to diet.  I'm gonna stop cheating on that.

I'm doing it with structure.

I've limited myself to 4 cans per day.  One when I wake up, one in the car/as I sit down at my desk.

One with Lunch, one with dinner.  I'll do three next week, 2 for the next 2 weeks, then 1, then none.

GrimmThing - Warrior

#8 thirster42

thirster42

Renegade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

Well, I've already shifted over the bulk of my soda consumption to diet.  I'm gonna stop cheating on that.

I'm doing it with structure.

I've limited myself to 4 cans per day.  One when I wake up, one in the car/as I sit down at my desk.

One with Lunch, one with dinner.  I'll do three next week, 2 for the next 2 weeks, then 1, then none.

cool!  now make sure that you keep plenty of water around to drink when those urges comes, because boy will they come.  you might also end up feelign more hungry since you're body is adjsuting to the loss of calories, so keep that in mind as well.

wish you the best!

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

#9 KingZora

KingZora

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Great goals! and sounds like you have a really solid plan for getting rid of soda.

When did you start doing the GraySkull LP?  It sounds like an interesting routine, but I am not sure how long I should be sticking with StrongLifts before considering an alternative program.

LVL 3: Zoran Warrior

STR:9 | DEX:5 | STA:10 | CON:5 | WIS:12.75 | CHA:9

Current Challenge: Not Really A 6 Week Challenge Challenge

Previous Challenges: 1st2nd

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

#10 Milk

Milk

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

Good luck with the soda.  When I quit smoking I noticed it was easy to cut back to my 3 a day (morning drive to work, after lunch and after dinner).  However going from that to stopping completely was much harder than I anticipated because eating a meal became my trigger.  Getting over that mental block was difficult for me.  I switched to cutting back to two a day and they couldn't be within an hour of a meal.  After I elminated the event that triggered my addiction it was MUCH easier to stop all together.  Not saying this is the only way just something to consider if you struggle breaking your soda habbit.

#11 Amazon Grimm

Amazon Grimm

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Okay, soda cut down working so far.  I'm finding that my tap water tastes really good out out a stainless steel container.

My household standards are going okay.  It's definitely giving me more free time.

I failed to find the motivation for my mobility work.

Lifting is Thursday.

----------------

I started the Greyskull LP about a month ago.  I've been puttering around on SS for about 6 months on and off, but not making a good long term progress.  Greyskull is kinda awesome, but slower for progression, but more maintainable over time.

I have time and recovery issues that make GSLP better for me.  I'm also working in a major caloric deficit (but adequate protein).

If you are enjoying what you are doing on SL5x5, keep at it until you stop progressing.  SL has you go to 3X5 or 1X5 at this point, but switching programs then would make sense.  GSLP works great as an "advanced novice" program.

One interesting thing about GSLP is the "plugins".  Basically, OHP, Bench Press, Squat, and DL are all core.

You can choose to customize the program with whatever you want to add.

GrimmThing - Warrior

#12 KingZora

KingZora

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Huh... I am working at a major caloric deficit as well... I have only hit a real stall in my OHP work, but everything else is slowing down significantly.  

I am enjoying SL5x5 though so I will stick with it now like you said.  I think I am going to stick to it until I get through this deficit phase and move into bulking at the end of this challenge.  Thanks, and glad to hear things are going well so far!

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

#13 Amazon Grimm

Amazon Grimm

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

Well, you could try switching to greyskull for the press only.  Just do 2x5, followed by as many reps as possible.  If you don't get 5 reps, deload by 10% next workout.  If you make 5-10, iincrease 2.5 lbs., if you make 11 or more, increase 5.

GrimmThing - Warrior

#14 KingZora

KingZora

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Well, you could try switching to greyskull for the press only.  Just do 2x5, followed by as many reps as possible.  If you don't get 5 reps, deload by 10% next workout.  If you make 5-10, iincrease 2.5 lbs., if you make 11 or more, increase 5.

37044129.jpg

This... this is exactly what I am going to start doing haha.

#15 Amazon Grimm

Amazon Grimm

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm gonna post more tomorrow, I've been off my diet and house goal for my birthday.

Changing  up my program, figured out if I can focus, I can do press + DL or OHP + DL in 30 minutes, then pop in the shower, so I can make Tuesday AM work.

So 3 Days/week now.  I'm dropping Rows, putting curls on my squat days (Sunday Thurday).

I'm working on a combining my stretching, leaning rows, and dumbell thrusters, farmer's walks and "kettlebell" swings into a "daily" routine.   I might also get my bike back on the road.

GrimmThing - Warrior

#16 Aqweei

Aqweei

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

Huh... I am working at a major caloric deficit as well... I have only hit a real stall in my OHP work, but everything else is slowing down significantly.  

I am enjoying SL5x5 though so I will stick with it now like you said.  I think I am going to stick to it until I get through this deficit phase and move into bulking at the end of this challenge.  Thanks, and glad to hear things are going well so far!

I'd honestly stick to Sl5x5 until you get to the advanced stage ( your max on Squats and DL's are 1.5 times your bodyweight for example). That is when other programs really start to make more sense such as 5/3/1 etc.

I'm gonna post more tomorrow, I've been off my diet and house goal for my birthday.

Changing  up my program, figured out if I can focus, I can do press + DL or OHP + DL in 30 minutes, then pop in the shower, so I can make Tuesday AM work.

So 3 Days/week now.  I'm dropping Rows, putting curls on my squat days (Sunday Thurday).

I'm working on a combining my stretching, leaning rows, and dumbell thrusters, farmer's walks and "kettlebell" swings into a "daily" routine.   I might also get my bike back on the road.

Looks like you've been doing good! Keep it up and do whatever you think will work for you. The main reason I love SL5x5 so much is because of the simplicity it offers me. I know that if I don't have time for a full workout I can drop the accesory work and just hit squats/ohp/deadlifts or squats/bench for that day and feel perfectly fine about the workout I just did. 

As I mentioned in the podium thread simply walking for 20 min a day can really help you lose a good amount of weight. I also feel both of you guys about working out in a deficit. Currently trying to lose some plus just starting to work out at 6am is really taking a toll on my strength gains.

[font="'Century Gothic';"]"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"[/font]

[font="'Century Gothic';"]Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 [/font]

#17 KingZora

KingZora

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

Having a daily routine is excellent Grimm... I just started making an at work routine, where I go for a walk down/up 7 flights of stairs and throw some body weight work in the middle.  It's not really a workout per-say but it gets me up and moving and I feel a bit of burn while I am at it!  Look forward to seeing how dropping rows for curls works for you... I really like having the upper back work, but that may be because I am a swimmer and they are all important for that particular sport.

I'd honestly stick to Sl5x5 until you get to the advanced stage ( your max on Squats and DL's are 1.5 times your bodyweight for example). That is when other programs really start to make more sense such as 5/3/1 etc.

My current 5RM for squats is at 1.2x bw and DL is at 1.5x bw so I am getting pretty close to that point in time.  Grimm, do you have a copy of the GSPL book? Is it worth getting?  Or do you have a good resource you used for setting your routine?

#18 Aqweei

Aqweei

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:39 PM

My current 5RM for squats is at 1.2x bw and DL is at 1.5x bw so I am getting pretty close to that point in time.  Grimm, do you have a copy of the GSPL book? Is it worth getting?  Or do you have a good resource you used for setting your routine?

Probably should have looked in to that lol! Thats awesome then man!

#19 thirster42

thirster42

Renegade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

wait... your birthday is in april as well?

are you my future twin?

#20 Amazon Grimm

Amazon Grimm

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

wait... your birthday is in april as well?

are you my future twin?

I hope not.  You'd at the very least have another decade with gaining strength or losing weight...

GrimmThing - Warrior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users