Asthma/Allergies & Workouts

**I didn't see a health-specific forum so please move to correct one if I missed it.

Yesterday I forgot my inhaler and holy crapsticks, I remembered why I need to grab that thing as though it were the all important phone/MP3 player each time.  Thankfully I'm just starting out and it was only a 20 min cycle on the stationary otherwise I would not have made it through.

Does anyone else have to deal with asthma or allergies?  Usually it isn't so bad but the fireworks the past week, and especially last night, have really set things off to the point that I am dreading getting started on my workout this morning.  I will probably use the inhaler before, during and after to get through, but it's just frustrating.

I have allergies so bad that I get shots AND take antihistamine. Boo.

I've had asthma since I was a kid. Exercise, heat, humidity, cold, illness, fear induced. It sucks. Took daily meds for years. Finally had enough and stopped the meds upped the endurance and learnd to control breathing. Went off daily meds w pulmonologist blessing. I still use my inhaler as prophylaxis when running or if it's really hot or cold out and I'm exercising outside.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I make a living treating lungers, and the almost universal answer for the asthmatic is to be compliant with your drugs. Pick up a new inhaler now and stash your partial in your glove box for just this scenario. Are you taking maintenance inhalers or just rescue? If you aren't on maintenance drugs then your doc is trapped in the 80s and needs to either update or be replaced. Maintenance inhalers should keep you from getting that rough unless something really awful happens.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I usually take two puffs before a circuit workout - although lately I've had to break up my circuit workout into supersets spread through the day so I don't feel so winded and I don't bother anymore.  Plus ever since I joined NF a few months ago, my stamina's improved.  Sometimes I surprise myself when I do something like chase after my kid through a park without feeling winded (and without medication).  But generally if I know I'm going to do something that will definitely leave me gasping, I puff on my inhaler.

As for allergies: I'm allergic to dust and pollen, which is not really an issue when I'm working out.

OtakuBosatsu

Level 1 Lycan. Druid/Monk at heart, training with the Assassins
STR 7|DEX 5.75|STA 4|CON 3|WIS 3.75|CHA 3

My blog, "Zen, Music, and Movement": http://raffyayaladvo.wordpress.com/

I don't have asthma, but I do have allergies. They went down a bunch when I went off the wheat, but spring pollen still gets me. I've still worked out these last couple of weeks, but many workouts have been toned down. You just do what you an do. Usually with allergies, I go ahead and start the workout (instead of bailing) and just do what I can do and if its not as much as normal, at least I did something

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

If you are using a rescue inhaler that much, you need to see your pulmonologist. How long has it been since your diagnosis?

And no, you don't have to take daily meds necessarily. I have pretty hardcore asthma and I don't take dailies bc allergies are as under control as I can get them and I do a lot of cardio.

Get to the doc. See a pulmonologist.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

My GP prescribed flovent for daily/maintenance but the first time I used it, I got an upper respiratory infection that took a month to clear up. I tried it again, infection came right back. So she referred me to an allergy & asthma center for more help. I'm just going to have to take a day off and go it seems.

I've grown out of a lot of allergies but dairy is still a big no, and gluten is off limits due to celiac. It's nice to have others who can relate, especially because it sometimes feels like I'm fulfilling that nerd kid stereotype. :P

Could be different allergies. Also, could be different meds are needed. There are lots of options. Be sure doc tests lungs for asthma. And seasonal allergies can be killer. What's killing me? Adult onset of cat allergies.

I AM going the distance

I read a study recently were taking Vitamin C two hours prior to exercise was improving lung function by as much as 50%.  The link is below, my daughter has an inhaler she has to use prior to exercise so I've started a trial on myself (I have allergies myself too) to see if I notice any improvements. A little extra vitamin C is not going to hurt anything anyway, I've been trying for a week and haven't noticed a major difference other than feeling less congested. 

http://news.menshealth.com/the-vitamin-that-helps-you-breathe-easy/2013/06/20/?cm_mmc=ETNTNL-_-1343066-_-06262013-_-Module2

Current Challenge 

Level 1 Dwarven Monk

Str: 3 Dex: 3 Sta: 2 Con: 2  Wis: 3  Cha:  2

Ask about getting on Symbicort or Dulera. They both use a different steroid, and are made by a different manufacturer than Flovent so most likely use different carriers. Just a steroid isn't a great pick for an asthmatic, since you need the long acting bronchodilator effect of formotorol/salmeterol along with it to get real benefit. Advair is a similar combo drug but is a dry powder inhaler, so would be guaranteed not to have the carriers of an MDI, so might be worth a shot as well. It's unlikely that the steroid itself in Flovent caused your bronchitis, but that you have a sensitivity to one of the carriers.

I'll second seeing a pulmonologist if it is in the realm of possibility for you. S/he could make a much better treatment plan than a GP.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

I have both asthma and allergies. Advair has definitely been useful to me since it's just the once or twice daily and that's enough to get me through a full day. However, I've been doing endurance running on and off for a couple years and I've found that I've needed it less and less because my body has been starting to improve. Now, almost the only time I need to use it to survive exercise is during the fall, because that's when my allergies (seasonal) are kicked into full gear and mix with my lung problems.

Level 3 Bearded Assassin

Str: 10     Dex: 9     Sta: 6     Con: 7     Wis: 4     Cha: 3

Current Challenge: Respawn    Past Challenges: 1 2 3

Daily Battle Log   Album

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."

Having both Asthma and Allergies, a small universal tip I can say is: Find your brand and stick with it. Find a brand of antihistamines like Claritin(I use the D kind that you have to get over the counter), get a preventative inhaler like Pulmicort, and a rescue inhaler. I've always been on Albuterol for my emergency inhaler, and it works pretty well. Anyways, point is find your brand that works, use it how very often your doctor prescribes and you should be okay throughout your workouts.

I want to be as strong as I need to be. Physically, as well as mentally.

"Even a reject can surpass an elite, if he trains hard enough!" - Goku

I refuse to fail!

Ray, Lvl 2 Orc Monk

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 4|WIS 4|CHA 2

Current Challenge

Previous Challenge
Facebook / Twitter
^^FRIEND ME/FOLLOW ME^^

I have exercise induced asthma. For the past 10 years up until last year I didn't have a single issue - I could play any sports I wanted and really the only time I had a problem with asthma was after a cold. Then I started going to the gym and lifting weights and found I couldn't really lift much for how strong I knew I was. I think I ended up talking to one of the trainers at the gym that had experienced the same problem, and she told me it was probably that asthma that had been hiding itself for years. I got an inhaler and it was like opening my eyes for the first time the next time I went in for a work out. I felt like I won the whole gym. :tongue: I can't imagine if I suddenly stopped using it at this point before physical activity. 

I've had asthma ever since I was ten(ish). Since I've become an adult it has gradually turned into exercise induced (and cold weather) asthma. I do have allergies but they generally don't affect my breathing (mostly my eyes and sinus'). What I can say though, is I went through a stage where I was adamant about not using my inhaler and "bucking down" and working on my endurance unfortunately I was literally making myself sick.

I don't need the inhaler during weight lifting unless I'm adding a substantial amount from last time - HOWEVER - I do not go to spin class or do my sprints without it in my hand. I really like to push myself - without it in my hand I can sometimes cause attacks from fear if having an attack. I also periodically use it throughout spin class.

I used tone self conscious about it but I'm not anymore. Matter of fact - it was this site that encouraged me to work out in a healthy way and for me that includes a rescue inhaler!

"Oh, my friend, it's not what they take away from you that counts -- it's what you do with what you have left."

- Hubert H. Humphrey

Azer - Ranger - (STR) 3 (DEX) 2 (STA) 2 (CON) 3 (WIS) 3 (CHA) 2

Level 1

Battle Log ∙ Tumblr ∙ Instagram ∙ Twitter

I have had chronic asthma since I was 2. It is really well controlled but the allergies or weather changes can set it off right in time for my gym sessions. I always have a reliever with me (ok several available - pocket, gym bag and car glove box) but sometimes I am ok if I just back off for a minute and calm things down.

My personal trainer usually picks up on the days when I am more chesty if I don't tell her first and gives me a little more rest time between things and doesn't give me exercises that compress my chest (coz they freak me out when I'm not 100%).

It's been interesting working with her because it turns out I have some emotional issues with high intensity cardio/strength work that pushes me to a gasping state even if I'm not wheezy I can get a bit panicky part way through a set. It's a very strange feeling but after I calm down I can usually do the next sets ok because the rational part of my mind has decided I am not actually going to die from lack of oxygen doing this even if it might remind me of that feeling. Quite confronting when it happens.

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge