The Obligatory Magic: The Gathering Thread

So far I have gotten one acceptance notification to Wichita and the rest should be coming in February and March. I am not really sure where I will go but the professor at WSU who accepted me is one of the best so I am very happy if I don't go anywhere else. 

I don't have an Xbox at school. I only have my PC. :/

That's how my brother taught me a lot of the strategy. He has sacrificed plenty of his moves to teach me the game. I do not expect that kind of thing from strangers, but your shop sounds really nice! :] That's kind of what I am looking for. I like playing with honest people who care more about the game then their winning.

Well.... there's UNF, UF, FSCJ, JU... and a few other schools around here... :-)

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Well.... there's UNF, UF, FSCJ, JU... and a few other schools around here... :-)

The best school around there (which I actually applied to) is still kind of far. I applied to USF. Luckily, my last recommender swooped in and finished my letter 3 days before it was due (flinches stressfully). 

Level 0, Human Druid

[sTR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0 ]

"'Impossible' is not a scientific term." - Vanna Bonta

So far I have gotten one acceptance notification to Wichita and the rest should be coming in February and March. I am not really sure where I will go but the professor at WSU who accepted me is one of the best so I am very happy if I don't go anywhere else. 

I don't have an Xbox at school. I only have my PC. :/

That's how my brother taught me a lot of the strategy. He has sacrificed plenty of his moves to teach me the game. I do not expect that kind of thing from strangers, but your shop sounds really nice! :] That's kind of what I am looking for. I like playing with honest people who care more about the game then their winning.

It's on PC too, as well as ipad (but not iphone). I asked about grad schools because my card shop is on University of Delaware's campus.

I'm doing the same thing wiht my little brother right now, letting him take moves back and such. The bigeest thing with a 13 year old is getting them to take their time.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

It's on PC too, as well as ipad (but not iphone). I asked about grad schools because my card shop is on University of Delaware's campus.

I'm doing the same thing wiht my little brother right now, letting him take moves back and such. The bigeest thing with a 13 year old is getting them to take their time.

Oh it is? I will have to look for it! That's awesome! 

That's a really good way to teach. It helped me learn to think ahead and pay attention to my hand. 

Level 0, Human Druid

Yep, there's also "Magic Online" too, which is another beast all together. That one has all the cards virtually and you buy packs just like real life, same exact money sink. But it also has online tournaments where you win boosters and such.  Super in depth, has its own big booming economy, etc.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yep, there's also "Magic Online" too, which is another beast all together. That one has all the cards virtually and you buy packs just like real life, same exact money sink. But it also has online tournaments where you win boosters and such.  Super in depth, has its own big booming economy, etc.

Hmmm... I will look into that. It just feels like if I spend money I want the physical cards.

Level 0, Human Druid

I'm the same way, preferring the physical cards, so I need to make sure I have a good base of people I like to play with, which is starting to happen. If it ever came ot it again though where it was online or nothing, then I might opt in and try it out.

I'm now going to FNM as well as tomorrow's event. My little brother and his friend are 13 and heading to their first FNM, and I volunteered to go check it out with them and feel at the crowd at that store for my mom and let her know if it's a place she would be cool with her 13 year old hanging out at on Friday nights. The crowds can vary so much. The one I went to as a kid was all 14-19 year olds, my current shop is all college kids (college campus to be ecpected) and adults from what I've seen, and my buddy's store is all young adults. I'm not sure what to expect at this one as it's on the main street of a neighborhood that was fine when I grew up there, but has been declining the last 10-15 years.

500 / 330 / 625

I've been playing online cube form time to time but mostly play mtg with my brother when he visits. We cube as well. It's hard to keep up with all the formats. I've been really getting into hearthstone alot lately.

Magic the gathering, Starcraft (use to obsessively play)

Minecraft (I don't play but just with my 6 year old son)

Powerlifter, 1st meet 429lbs Squat, 297lbs bench, 545lbs deadlift

Personal Trainer since 2001

http://Youtube.com/RyanSaplanPT

http://instagram.com/ryansaplan

http://twitter.com/ryansaplan

I really enjoyed booster draft tonight. Only person heavy in abzan. Came in 3rd, and only because I got mana screwed in my first round games. Otherwise i might have made it to the final round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

I must like the number 3 because I tied for 3rd of 23 in the prerelease event. Lost the semi finals 1-2, and every loss was with my opponent at 3 life or less. He managed to pull of temporal trespass in all 3 games and it was the deciding factor in the two he won.

In the final round to decide for 3rd/4th we decided to split it and not play so we would each get 2 packs instead of the winner getting 4 and the loser nil.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

So are there any websites you guys like to trade cards? I'm liking standard a bunch and looking to trade for the cards I want for my decks.

500 / 330 / 625

So are there any websites you guys like to trade cards? I'm liking standard a bunch and looking to trade for the cards I want for my decks.

I just trade in the store, generally just ask someone if they have their trade binder with them and if I can take a look.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

Yeah, I do that too, but I'm only gonna get in there like once a month right now.

500 / 330 / 625

Yeah, I do that too, but I'm only gonna get in there like once a month right now.

Ahhh... well Starcity games isn't a trade site, but it might give you some options... they do have a card buying option.

http://www.starcitygames.com/

My first challenge

I believe I mentioned that I was planning to sell some revised dual lands that I had from back when I played.

I took them to my local comic shop, and the dude seriously lowballed me. I suspected that he might when I went to double check his asking price for the cards I was intending to sell and found that those three cards were no longer to be found in the for sale listings. He offered me $150 which was so much below what I was expecting that I couldn't even bring myself to make a counter offer. I just stated that I would try my luck online. I sent them to Card Kingdom and got $323 for them. My question is: should I let the proprietor know that I was fully aware that he was trying to screw me and will not be patronizing his shop, or just let it go? 

Paladin Aspirant

Level 3

STR: 13   DEX: 3  STA: 9  CON: 9.33   WIS: 6.66   CHA: 6

MyFitnessPal

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth

Oh no magic... I just started up again. Ive never competed or anything or gotten super serious. Instead I just play with friends. I have 4 deck combinations right now that I love.

Blue/White/Green 

Green/Black 

Red/Black x 2 (1 is a goblin deck the other a minataur)

I also have a "cheap" merfolk deck. Its white and blue and I have had it for years. It revolves around a combo of a card that summons merfolk tokens, then the card can be brought back from the graveyard by tapping merfolk. The kicker is that I then have a merfolk that every time a merfolk is tapped I gain 1 life. So its kind of a cheesy combo that is very hit or miss.

I always have played where you can use whatever cards you want. Don't really know any official play types because I've never been that serious about it, as well as the fact that there are no hobby stores near enough to me that I could have went when growing up.

I have a friend that plays a blue counter deck. Thats the only time I hate the "any cards go" rule. It gets super annoying when he doesn't play any monsters and just sits back with 8 mana ready to tap and counter anything you play. I manage to trick him most the time but it can be fairly irritating.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Oh no magic... I just started up again. Ive never competed or anything or gotten super serious. Instead I just play with friends. I have 4 deck combinations right now that I love.

Blue/White/Green 

Green/Black 

Red/Black x 2 (1 is a goblin deck the other a minataur)

I also have a "cheap" merfolk deck. Its white and blue and I have had it for years. It revolves around a combo of a card that summons merfolk tokens, then the card can be brought back from the graveyard by tapping merfolk. The kicker is that I then have a merfolk that every time a merfolk is tapped I gain 1 life. So its kind of a cheesy combo that is very hit or miss.

I always have played where you can use whatever cards you want. Don't really know any official play types because I've never been that serious about it, as well as the fact that there are no hobby stores near enough to me that I could have went when growing up.

I have a friend that plays a blue counter deck. Thats the only time I hate the "any cards go" rule. It gets super annoying when he doesn't play any monsters and just sits back with 8 mana ready to tap and counter anything you play. I manage to trick him most the time but it can be fairly irritating.

Play a land destruction deck next time... :-)

http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/rc/210

• Like 1

My first challenge

I love my merfolk deck and have finally got it modernized. There's one trick I want to play with a merfolk that has an ability to tap to untap another permanent. Get two on the field and they can tap to untap each other infinitely. Use that with the enchantment to gain 1 life every time a merfolk is tapped, infinite life. There's another merfolk, I think it's modern legal, that gets +1/+1 each time a merfolk is tapped, so you'd also get 10000/10000 creatures out of it. The major problem I've run into so far is the tap/untap merfolk has a partially green mana cost, so I need to get my aether vials to make it work in my current merfolk deck.

You would have loved my old counter/control deck then. The only creatures in it were creatures with abilities to counter spells or take control of other creatures, the rest was just various counterspells, control creature spells, and bouncing cards. They nerfed counterspell a bit in modern though.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625

I love my merfolk deck and have finally got it modernized. There's one trick I want to play with a merfolk that has an ability to tap to untap another permanent. Get two on the field and they can tap to untap each other infinitely. Use that with the enchantment to gain 1 life every time a merfolk is tapped, infinite life. There's another merfolk, I think it's modern legal, that gets +1/+1 each time a merfolk is tapped, so you'd also get 10000/10000 creatures out of it. The major problem I've run into so far is the tap/untap merfolk has a partially green mana cost, so I need to get my aether vials to make it work in my current merfolk deck.

You would have loved my old counter/control deck then. The only creatures in it were creatures with abilities to counter spells or take control of other creatures, the rest was just various counterspells, control creature spells, and bouncing cards. They nerfed counterspell a bit in modern though.

Thats how his is. He has flying creatures he can sac to counter spells. He also has this thing where he can imprint a counter spell on it and use it all the time...

I will have to look into those merfolk. I really need to modernize mine. Its definitely starting to fall apart.

Might be something I look into.

Any tips on how to get the cards you want? I have so many extra cards that I would look to get rid of as well?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Might be something I look into.

Any tips on how to get the cards you want? I have so many extra cards that I would look to get rid of as well?

I myself would start by going to local game stores, might be able to trade them. Mine has a set of binders that you can look through, as well as a commons box. Then from there I would venture onto starcity, or TCGPLayer, and buy singles...

My first challenge