THE NEXT 6 WEEK CHALLENGE STARTS MONDAY, JUNE 9TH. [Challenge Forum] is now live!

Helpful Links to start the challenge:
[Challenge Instructions]
[Challenge Rules Subforum]
[Challenge FAQ]
[Role Playing] - Creating your character and rolling your stats
[Guild Leaders and mods] - If you have questions or issues these are the people to ask :)

Photo

Side Quest! (Mini Challenge) - Week 6 posted - A scout Ballad

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Bard

Bard

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Hi everyone! I thought I would try something different this challenge...

Since I had fun a couple of challenges back doing my own challenge in Haiku, when I was asked to author the guild's first new side-quest, I thought I would take it one step further, and deliver it in song!

Did I let the fact that I've never written a song before stop me? No sir! Did I let the fact that I can't sing deter me? I don't think so! Did I let my almost complete inability to handle a six string slow me down? Not on your life! And finally, did I let the fact that I have a shocking man-cold at the moment so can barely talk and I get dizzy if I move too fast make me rethink this whole thing? Absolutely not! I'm kind of stubborn and thick headed like that you see!

Week 6

Alas it's the final week already - just one week left to work on those goals you set!  If you've dropped a bit behind, don't worry - learn from the experience and start to plan for the next six week challenge - remember - you haven't failed until you quit trying!

The final part of the ballad (that's right, you only need to listen to me for another 2:43!) is:

And the spreadsheet is still here: https://docs.google....Z0VlZuNVE#gid=5

The goals this week are:

1 Warming up and stretching:
Let’s nail those fiddly, final little details – like warming up before you exercise and stretching afterward.  Note down something in this area you are weak on and a plan to tackle it – then let us know how you go!

2 Pass on the knowledge:
Time to handover and pass on what we’ve done and learnt – contribute to the library by writing down something you’ve learnt (it could be a tweet, or an entire book!), or directly teach someone something this week (Remember, not everyone is as clever as you - be patient if showing someone something!)

3 See how far you've come:
Look back how you’ve come along during this six weeks – how far have you got towards your overall goal? - Don't dispair if it's not far - use this to plan your next six week challenge! As a bonus, re-take those photos from the first week and compare the difference!

I hope you've enjoyed the challenges this six weeks, and I hope you did well at your own challenges!

Week 5

Wow, we're flying through this challenge!

Act 5 of the Scout's Ballad has landed here:

The spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google....Z0VlZuNVE#gid=4

This week, we must get a move on so we can finish the school / library in time!

The goals for the week are:

1 Add speediness

Anything that gets you moving faster - do fartleks, beep test, sprints, HIIT / Tabata, time yourself and push for a faster time – remember to maintain good form! Incorporate five bursts of speed in your workout

2 Make something look better

Paint a wall, get a new rug, hang a new picture, rearrange that room that's always a mess - anything to make one small area of your life look that little bit better.

3 Hurry, but with purpose

What can you do to improve yourself in 2 mins or less.  Ideally something you can repeat each day or
week. - EG, start the day off with a prayer or a stretch (or both!), do a handful of pushups in the bathroom before your shower, practice medidative breathing, even for a few mins, at lunch time or before bed, put a couple of minutes into your hair or makeup in the morning, or brushing your teeth at night.

I hope you're enjoying the challenge as much as I am, and as much as I'm enjoying making the videos!

Week 4:

Week four video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VxwaSBS9Ls

We did some good digging last week and guarding - particularly Primeval who took up a plank hold sniper position on the roof for almost the entire week by the look of the spreadsheet, well done!

This week, we're working on the walls - so we're going up!  Work on exercises which get you up - pull ups, overhead press, star jumps, squat jumps, climbing etc.

Our second goal this week is to develop your favourite random plot device: Work on a random useless skill which probably has nothing to do with your goal but which you can claim any kind of tenuous relevance to doing. (Guybrush was a useless prop in my song, and his games were full of them). Anything you’ve wanted to learn or improve but haven’t taken the time.  Something you can start to work on in a week though rather than a long term goal in itself!

And the random bonus side quest, still on the Monkey Island theme: Make someone smile - Monkey Island was full of little things to make you smile - so share the happiness and do or say something small to bring a smile to someone's face.

I may have doctored the spreadsheet, but I swear I didn't steal it, it's right here: https://docs.google....Z0VlZuNVE#gid=3

Week 3:

Another embarrassing video from me - here: - and no, I haven't got any better ;) http://youtu.be/a7YmYmcra6Q

Three goals for this week:

We need to dig those foundations!

Get low: exercises like Squats, push ups, plank - as usual, if you can justify it, you can do it - creative is good :)

Guard duty: Set aside just one minute each day, to stop, do NOTHING, just breathe and listen to the sounds of the daily world around you (if you can find a quiet place, even better).

And building our own foundations: Report back on one goal you are struggling with this challenge, why it’s important to you, and how you can get back on track with it OR ask for help from others on how to get back on track with it.

The spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google....Z0VlZuNVE#gid=1

Week 2:

The amazingly bad video is up: http://youtu.be/AQhkafE_Av0

Mini-quest goals for the week:

- Bring some materials back - carry something.  Examples: do free weights if you haven’t tried it, farmers walk, lunges, even exercise bike resistance (you're hauling a heavy load!)  - If you can explain it, you can probably do it!

- Find something you can do for someone else. It might be as simple as making a cup of tea to cheer someone up, bringing home some flowers for your significant other, buying a meal for a homeless person who asks for money, or calling an old friend you’ve lost touch with who might be lonely (You don’t have to go as big as helping to build a school in a remote village though massive kudos if you do
that!).

- Bonus mini extra quest: Meet the villagers! - Go and meet some of the new rebels in the Level 1 (First timers) group!    A friendly hello when you are new to the site can make a massive difference difference, and is so easy to do - But maybe don't share my video with them - we don't want to scare them off! ;)

The spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google....Z0VlZuNVE#gid=1

Week 1:

Without further ado, (and before I chicken out) I present to you, "A Scout Ballad (Week 1)": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTC-lHHcHpo&feature=youtu.be

So the mini-quest for week 1 entails:

• Be sure you’ve rested, taken a few days off from previous challenges and had some you time. (With the two week break, most of us can tick that one off).

• Investigate your goals – are they challenging, achievable and fun? And do they help you on your way to your big quest? - When I look back through my challenges, the ones I have succeeded most at are the ones which have been measureable, achievable and which I had a plan for. if you haven't read it lately, check this out and just double check your goals: http://www.nerdfitne...t-goal-setting/

Sorry for some reason the original message got cut off here and lost the rest of the week's activities:

• Explore!  It's time to go somewhere new - walk, run, cycle, swim somewhere you wouldn't normally go, or even just park the car a bit further from work so you get a bit of a walk in that way - in any case, see what you can see that you haven't before!

• And bonus sub-mini-side-quest: Take a photo of something from your exploration, whether it's a flower, a sunrise, a building or even a tuft of grass growing in a crack of concrete in a newly explored street in your neighbourhood!

Finally the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.... or anything ;)

Have fun!

Regards

Quentin.

• Pimmermtwetry likes this

#2 Phoenix Burning

Phoenix Burning

Antagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

Yay, Quentin! Looking forward to the challenge side quests!

Would-be Pixie Assassin

Current Redux Challenge (Assassin's Guild)

Previous Challenges: 8 |7 | 6.2 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Training becomes part of what we do because it supports who we are and what we want to become.

#3 Hammlin

Hammlin

Bacon Powered Nerdlet

• Guild Leader
  • 2817 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Q- that was awesome. Excited to see what 6 weeks you bring us!

My Challenge Thread | My Blog | My Story

Name: Hammlin "Hammi"

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level17 (STR):43.25 (DEX):36.25 (STA):29 (CON):30.25 (WIS):30.5 (CHA):24.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

#4 Wicked Pixie

Wicked Pixie

Slayer of Smoke Dragons

• 2651 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

That was simply BRILLIANT!!!

Way to step out of the box !!!!!!!!!!!

~*~Wicked Pixie~*~
Hybrid Ranger-Warrior-Scout
SLAYER OF THE SMOKE DRAGON

Fairy tales are more than true
Not because they tell us that dragons exist,
But because they tell us that
DRAGONS CAN BE BEATEN
~G.K. Chesterton[/font]

Follow My Journey!!!
Limpin'Ain't Easy-Pixie's EPIC fundraising Race|MommyGoRun|MommyGoRun Facebook|Instagram

#5 Wicked Pixie

Wicked Pixie

Slayer of Smoke Dragons

• 2651 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

should we require that all further responses be in song?!?!?!

THAT would be a challenge!

~*~Wicked Pixie~*~
Hybrid Ranger-Warrior-Scout
SLAYER OF THE SMOKE DRAGON

Fairy tales are more than true
Not because they tell us that dragons exist,
But because they tell us that
DRAGONS CAN BE BEATEN
~G.K. Chesterton[/font]

Follow My Journey!!!
Limpin'Ain't Easy-Pixie's EPIC fundraising Race|MommyGoRun|MommyGoRun Facebook|Instagram

#6 18ck

18ck

Four-Eyed Free-Range Flolloper

• Guild Leader
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6372 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

---> is stunned

I had intended to sit out this mini challenge and stick to my knitting but seriously, how can I help but be beguiled by that opening salvo? You are like the Pied Piper of endurance sports!

18ck, Level 12 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 24 | DEX 14 | STA 32 | CON 18 | WIS 27 | CHA 11

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 | #14 Coming Soon | Log | Scout Magic Mile 2014 | Twitter | Linkedin | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

#7 Bard

Bard

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Aww Thanks everyone! I hope my voice is a bit better for next week though (if I survive my man cold till then that is)

#8 Grizzy

Grizzy

Recruit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

That. Was. AWESOME.

I rested pretty well throughout the last week. Still did my running, but took some time to really think about what I needed to do next, compared to what I did before.

Investigate your goals:

-are they challenging, achievable and fun?

Run 5k plan or 5k 3x/week: Will be running more than ever before, which should still be achievable because I'm working up to it slowly and already have the habit of running 3x/week mostly down, and fun because I can't wait for the next time I get to use my Zombies, Run! app!

Stretch: It's a new habit, so that's a challenge, but it will be right after running and the routine will help me achieve it. Fun? We shall see...

Drink 4 20oz bottles of water a day: It's a habit to establish, though it doesn't seem too difficult. It requires some degree of consistency, so I guess that constitutes a little challenge. It's achievable so long as my water stays on and I have my trusty water bottle at my side. And so much fun. I *love* peeing every freaking half hour. :P

-And do they help you on your way to your big quest?

Big quest is to run 5k in a half hour. Running c25k 3x a week until it's over, and then running 5k 3x/week probably helps. Stretching will prevent injury. Hydration will help me run better and not get insanely thirsty.

#9 bgvanbur

bgvanbur

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1383 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

At first I thought you made a song out of the haikus from before.  That was cool, thanks for making it!

Level 16 Primalish Trail Scout

Do or do not.  There is no try.

#10 Bard

Bard

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Good plan Grizzy!  I love the Zombies Run app too!  Stretching is also something I need to practice more, maybe not quite as much fun, but important nonetheless!

Glad you liked it Bgvanbur!

Also I edited the original post - for some reason the last part of what I wrote got cut off:

The other quests for ths week were:

• Explore!  It's time to go somewhere new - walk, run, cycle, swim somewhere you wouldn't normally go, or even just park the car a bit further from work so you get a bit of a walk in that way - in any case, see what you can see that you haven't before!

• And bonus sub-mini-side-quest: Take a photo of something from your exploration, whether it's a flower, a sunrise, a building or even a tuft of grass growing in a crack of concrete in a newly explored street in your neighbourhood!

#11 Sifter

Sifter

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Fabulous Quentin! So fun! Love it!

Scout

[color=#0000ff;]Battle Log[/color][color=#0000ff;] - [/color][color=#0000ff;]Accountability-Tracking-Training Worksheets[/color]

[color=#0000ff;]1st Challenge[/color][color=#0000ff;] - [/color][color=#0000ff;]2nd Challenge[/color][color=#0000ff;] - [/color][color=#0000ff;]3rd Challenge[/color]

"He must become greater; I must become less.” John 3:30

#12 redcat

redcat

Malcontent

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Exploring sounds fun, I will certainly go scout out something new ^_^

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Redcat,[/font] Hero of Rivertown (once known as Teabunneh)

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Shapeshifter | Scout | Lvl 2 
STR +4 | DEX +2 | STA +6 | CON +7 | WIS +7 | CHA +2
Vanquished Challenges: 1 Current Challenge
A Tale of Tea; [/font]
[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]Running Paleo; Accountability group: Shiny New Scouts[/font]

[font="'courier new', courier, monospace;"]"Whether you think you can or think you can't--you're right." - Henry Ford[/font]

#13 Shukar

Shukar

The Crazy Runner Guy

• Guild Leader
  • 2168 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:42 AM

Could be worse, could be the ballad of brave Sir Robin. ;)

Scout 14/Ranger 1
"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear
Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper
Shukar's Sesame Street Challenge

#14 18ck

18ck

• Guild Leader
  • 6372 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Could be worse, could be the ballad of brave Sir Robin. ;)

I've got that one covered!

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 | #14 Coming Soon | Log | Scout Magic Mile 2014 | Twitter | Linkedin | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

#15 klaymates

klaymates

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1197 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

I loved your song!  I did some exploring and took a photo on a run yesterday...but I will do something new tomorrow just for the mini-challenge.  

As far as resting is concerned...it's my first challenge in a year or so, and while I wouldn't call that whole time restful I did rest up for a few days knowing I was coming into this challenge!!

I feel like my goals are attainable, but pretty challenging for me.  I am establishing regular activity after no real exercise during my pregnancy, dedicating to study German more consistently (because I've badly neglected my studies over the last two months), planning three geocaching hunts, and logging my food intake.  All of these are measurable, so I will have no uncertainty in my evaluation at challenge's end.  

Thanks for putting together this awesome quest!

Half-Orc 

Prestige Class: Ninja (locked yet)

"I won't run away anymore... I won't go back on my word... that is my ninja way!" --Uzumaki Naruto

"You're pro or you're a noob. It's so easy, that's life." --Athene, Best Paladin in the World

"Do what the fuck you want to." --Panic Station Muse

Klaymates and the Hobbit Monk

#16 Phoenix Burning

Phoenix Burning

Antagonist

• 2109 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

What a marvelous coincidence!  I just spoke to my husband last night about sneaking off to get in a 6-mile trail run at the state park this weekend.  So looking forward to it!

Would-be Pixie Assassin

Current Redux Challenge (Assassin's Guild)

Previous Challenges: 8 |7 | 6.2 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Training becomes part of what we do because it supports who we are and what we want to become.

#17 18ck

18ck

• Guild Leader
  • 6372 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Ok, I'm pretty sure I've got a plan that has the right amount of measurable goodness. For those who don't fancy reading the whole thing (and in the spirit of the thread as a whole), here's the opening musical number. I'll not sing it for you because I love you too much

The Song of Sir 18ck

I made a SMART plan to recapture the grail
With its help I'll kick ass and not epically fail
I'll walk around looking with wide open eyes
And lose seven pounds by laying off pies

I'll read a good book and I'll learn portuguese
And run thrice a week taking care of my knees
Then do a few stretches to loosen my joints
And I get to ride ponies if I score enough points

Um... And for the exploring goal, it's the second day away from home for work so I went and found a new part of the docks to explore. Here are some barrels I found after exploring some tunnels
egugu3ah.jpg
Well, I liked them anyway. I asked some of my cow-orkers about the docks and they told me where I could find the set of a TV series that's being shown in the UK. It was an eyesore though! Quite a lot of filming goes on here because it's so quiet and the buildings are so characterful. Apparently part of the next muppet movie was filmed in the dockyard area a few months back so if you watch it keep your eyes peeled for the barrels!

#18 Bard

Bard

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

Brave, brave sir 18ck! Great exploring old chap! I haven't fully explored, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing that cool within a run of either my home or work... but now I must endeavor to find out!

#19 BeautifulBeast

BeautifulBeast

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

HA! Love the song!!! 

As for the side quest....

1. Ain't no rest for the wicked. Sorry. I have taken a nap two days in a row though! But I think that is more out of depression than anything.... 

2. Challenging, yes. Fun...well....there's stretching involved and that's just not my idea of fun. Oh and rest is also on the list...see above for my opinions on rest! 

3. I will get on it! I've actually been enjoying my long run days for this reason. 3 Saturdays ago I explored the town of Menominee, Mi on foot for 8 miles. 2 Saturdays ago it was the camp grounds near Clinton lake in Il for 8.5 miles and last Saturday I explored the amazing trail that snakes through a town neighboring my own with a bunch of people I barely know for 9! This weekend it'll be back to that trail for 10 miles! I'll see if i can get some pictures there, it's soooooo gorgeous! 

bLIQpOhl.jpg

Pic from 3 weekends ago when I was running along the beach of Green Bay. I fell in love with a lot of things that weekend. The beach, that little town, running and life!! 

BeautifulBeast
Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8

My Challenges: OneTwo, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, nine, ten, eleven
Holiday mini
BATTLELOG

#20 BeautifulBeast

BeautifulBeast

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

. Apparently part of the next muppet movie was filmed in the dockyard area a few months back so if you watch it keep your eyes peeled for the barrels!

Lol! Now the whole movie I am going to be fixated on finding those barrels! 

BeautifulBeast
Level 10 Wandering Nord

Constitution: 15.5 Strength: 14 Wisdom: 17.5 Stamina: 12.25 Dexterity: 2 Charisma: 8

My Challenges: OneTwo, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, nine, ten, eleven
Holiday mini
BATTLELOG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users