THE NEXT 6 WEEK CHALLENGE STARTS MONDAY, JULY 28th. [Challenge Forum] is now live!

Helpful Links to start the challenge:
[Challenge Instructions]
[Challenge Rules Subforum]
[Challenge FAQ]
[Role Playing] - Creating your character and rolling your stats
[Guild Leaders and mods] - If you have questions or issues these are the people to ask :)

Photo
- - - - -

C25K for speed?

c25k couch to 5k speed running

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Katinka

Katinka

Recruit

• PipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:08 AM

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to use the C25K program to increase my speed? I learned to run about 4 years ago using the program, but I live perpetually stuck at a 10 minute mile pace for a 5K. I'm thinking it might work if I were to jog during the "walking" parts of the program, then push myself much harder during the "running" parts. Or does anyone know of a program designed for increasing speed? I really like the C25K format, and the apps you can get to go with it, so I'm hoping either that will work or I can find something similar.

#2 msuroo

msuroo

Renegade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2932 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

That would certainly be an interesting use of the program, and I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.  Most people do interval work by distance (run hard for 400m - jog easy for 200m, for example), but by time using the C25K app would certainly work as well.  The other things you can do to quicken up your pace are sprint work (throw some striders in at the end of your easy runs), and also some pace work (run 1.5 miles at a 9 minute pace, rather than 3 at a 10 minute pace, for example).  It sounds obvious, but the key to running faster is to...well...run faster.

#3 RandMart

RandMart

Rebel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1268 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Yes, I s'pose it could work that way, but I'm sure that there are better programs to get it done

La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: c25k, couch to 5k, speed, running

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users