NF Challenges

Level:1 | STR:1 | DEX:2 | STA:2 | CON:1 | WIS:3 | CHA:1 |

Epic Quest of Epicness

Zombie Apocalypse Training: Level 1

Zombie Apocalypse Training: Level 1.5

Progress Stats + Pics

8/29/13 Update

(pic here)

Weight: unknown (average high of 155 lbs)

Biceps: 12"

Forearms: 10"

Abdomen: 37"

Hips: 38"

Buttocks: 42"

Thighs: 25"

Calves: 15"

Routine: Yoga and Pilates classes each week, home body weight workouts during the rest of the week

Diet: 85% non-organic Paleo, wine or whiskey on occasion

Goals

More structure and frequency of at-home workouts, pilates, and yoga.

Transition to fresher, more organic and free-range foods.

Start running, hiking, cycling, and playing tennis more.

Get down to 125lb and/or fit comfortably into a size 6.

10/1/13 Update

Other Tools

myfitnesspal

pinterest

33781124.png

CactusWren

progress thread

Thursday, August 29 2013

Food: mixed berry, peach, mango and banana smoothie; chicken breast cooked with evoo, onion, celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, peas, carrots, broccoli, kale and spinach; half a watermelon; lots of water.

Workout: 30 minutes with the kettlebell.

Feeling: Good! Lots of energy, good digestion, no complaints (other than a broken pinkie toe :().

CactusWren

progress thread

August 30, 2013

Food: turkey sausage, chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, spinach, mushrooms, kale, eggs, steak, hash browns, watermelon

Activities: almost none, missed pilates for a birthday party (was good about food at the party tho!)

August 31, 2013

Food: turkey sausage, chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, spinach, watermelon, walnuts, almonds, raisins, jameson

Activities: pullup practice/attempts, jumping jacks, weightlifting

September 1, 2013

Food: chicken, broccoli, peas, corn, yam, eggs, watermelon, walnuts, almonds, raisins

Activities: walking, sangha

September 2, 2013

Food: chicken, broccoli, spinach, green beans, yam, eggs, watermelon, berry fruit smoothie with almond milk, walnuts, almonds, raisins

Activities: walking, pullup practice/attempts, lunges and squats

Feeling: Tired! Good tho! :)

Short Goals: Get some heavier weights and a scale. Try some new foods.

CactusWren

progress thread

September 3, 2013

Food: chicken, broccoli, peas, corn, mushrooms, kale, spinach, evoo, mango banana smoothie with almond milk, walnuts, almonds, raisins, two beef and bean burritos (Uh oh! Mostly a good food day, am paying for those burritos with digestive issues though. Just more incentive to avoid them next time.)

Activities: pullup practice, yoga

September 4, 2013

Food: chicken, broccoli, peas, corn, mushrooms, kale, spinach, evoo, mango banana smoothie with almond milk, walnuts, almonds, raisins

Activities: rest day

Feeling: So sore! Feels like progress, feels good! :D

CactusWren

progress thread

September 5, 2013

Bought a digital scale yesterday. Will probably update measurements again soon (try to be more accurate and do each arm/leg).

I'm trying out the myfitnesspal android app to log these stats, anyone else use it?

Also, decided against new weights. I'm going to see how far I can get with just me, my pullup bar and the floor for now.

Lastly, success on trying new foods! Jicama sticks are delicious and I've got a spaghetti squash to try in the pantry.

Current Weight: 154.6 lb

You are rocking it!  

Thanks! I'm so happy to be here on NF, it's really motivating! :D

CactusWren

progress thread

I'm very amazed at your diligence with the foods... what did you start working on first: dieting or exercise?  Or has dieting always been easy for you?  I don't have anything against veggies, I'm just horrible at actively seeking them out.

Thanks!

I starting changing my diet first, then exercise. Not too far apart, but both slowly. First I eliminated cheese and fried foods, and started walking the dog more. Then I eliminated grains (I was already pretty much legume free except for the occasional burrito) and started going to yoga and pilates classes. Then I joined NF and got serious about not cheating as much and doing body weight exercises at home.

And the only reason I can eat so much veg is because I make really easy, spicy one-pot meals pretty regularly. It's almost like stiry-fry, but no rice and 10-12 different veggies instead. I also cheat in that a lot of my veg is frozen and/or pre-cut (I have a mini chest freezer). I found these great little seasoning packs for around a buck that have frozen chopped onion, bell pepper, celery, and parsley. Half a package is plenty for a pot big enough for four meals. Left-overs are also a must! Another thing is, to add more dark leafy greens, I buy the cheapest kale and spinach (usually either fresh in a bag for "cooking", or on sale in a bunch) and (chop if bunched then..) freeze it. That way I can add a few handfuls of each to said "stiry-fry" at the end, right before it's done cooking. I find it adds well to the texture and taste that way, and you don't have to suffer through whole forkfuls of wilted, bitter veg (or worry about it going bad before you use it!). So it goes: evoo, seasoning veg, throw in meat to cook, then add tough veg (broccoli, carrots, etc), then leafy greens and LOTS of spices, done! I like to change up the meat, veg, and spices, but that's pretty much it. Oh, and when I'm too tired/lazy/hungry to wait for meat to cook I'll throw in a couple of drained cans of chicken breast instead.

Then there are smoothies. Hubby bought me a wonderful blender because we've always loved smoothies. This is pretty simple and easy to mix up. I throw in at least two ripe bananas (without banana it will be sour, no matter what else you put in it, except maybe stevia), two cups unsweetened unflavored almond milk, a large can of either pineapples or peaches (in juice, not syrup!), and then whatever more expensive/delicious fruit I have in the freezer. Usually makes enough for approx. 4-5 16oz smoothies. Stores are really coming along in variety in this department of the frozen food isle. I check prices and buy fresh to use or freeze if it is in season. I also only buy bags of one type of fruit each. I find that the mixes average their price between the most expensive fruit in the bag and the least expensive, and then load it with the latter! You also get more control and ability to make a bigger variety of smoothies when buying only one type per bag (same with veggies).

A mix of almonds, walnuts, and raisins are my go-to snack. Always have a bag in my purse for when I'm tempted by other things!! Of course you could use a variety of things/mixes for this. I plan to try new ones soon like dried apple and banana (home dehydrator for the win!).

I'm excited to try my spaghetti squash with the whole rigamarole of red sauce, other veg (maybe zuchinni too?)  and sausage or meatballs.

This works for me because I usually can't bring myself to make/eat cold salads at home. Eating out, they're great, and a nice way to still go out and enjoy the company of friends and family, but at home, no dice! I'd like to transition into less frozen, more fresh, organic, free-range, etc. foods, but I think this is the easiest way for me to start (and keep from breaking the bank!). I really have noticed a big improvement in how I feel and my energy levels day to day.

Hope I gave you some ideas, maybe? :D

CactusWren

progress thread

September 6, 2013

Food: ground turkey, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, bell pepper, celery, evoo, kale, spinach, mixed berry & peach smoothie with almond milk, beer and pizza!

Activities: slacking, running errands

Feeling: Dissatisfied with myself for falling off the wagon after a nice stretch with no dairy. Will have to make up for it (psychologically) tomorrow with extra exercise and good food. Trying not to be too hard on myself though.

CactusWren

progress thread

September 6, 2013

Food: ground turkey, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, bell pepper, celery, evoo, kale, spinach, mixed berry & peach smoothie with almond milk, beer and pizza!

Activities: slacking, running errands

Feeling: Dissatisfied with myself for falling off the wagon after a nice stretch with no dairy. Will have to make up for it (psychologically) tomorrow with extra exercise and good food. Trying not to be too hard on myself though.

I know that feeling all too well :( Its ok to not be perfect with your eating :)

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

September 7, 2013

Food: mixed berry, peach and almond milk smoothie, eggs, yam, spinach, kale, an orange, chicken (a little heavy on fruit and light on veg, but better than pizza! also a slight extra calorie deficit, just for today :) )

Activities: walking, beginner body weight routine, a little yoga (gonna be sore tomorrow! :D)

Feeling: Good! Happy to get back to good things! I'm sure I'll slip up again in the future, I just gotta keep getting back in the saddle right away. :eagerness:

CactusWren

progress thread

September 8, 2013

Food: berry banana smoothie with almond milk and coconut oil (new!), grilled chicken salad w/o cheese or dressing - sub guacamole, spaghetti squash with ground turkey and veggie red sauce (new!), a snack as yet to be determined because I'm still too far under my calories for the day, even tho I'm very full...

Activities: walking, a little stretching before/during sangha

Feeling: Very sore in all parts of my thighs and a little bit in my calves and biceps, but that's good!! Great energy levels today, got a lot done around the house! Overall very happy with this bit of progress.

Except, now that I am tracking my calories on myfitnesspal I see that I am (and probably have been for a little while, not counting friday) not eating enough! Must work on this. I'm starting to add coconut oil to my smoothies and more evoo while cooking, but it's still challenging. I'm just not that hungry!

The spaghetti squash was amazing! And unexpected! It was nothing like real spaghetti or what I pictured. However, it was just as simple to make as the real stuff and very filling. An excellent and tasty vehicle for a good meat sauce! I want to get a spiral cutter and a ricer now so I can try other fake starches/grains. Fun fun! :D

@vibrantnotions, Thanks!!! :D You and others on NF are a huge part of my motivation to keep going.

CactusWren

progress thread

I feel like "not enough calories" is a common issue with paleo if people actually track their calories while eating paleo.  Which now has me wondering if the calorie needs rules change if you're eating paleo.    

I don't know, I want to read more about this but I'm swamped with course books right now. The body is funny thing. We definitely don't have it all figured out yet! :)

CactusWren

progress thread

September 9, 2013

Food: berry banana smoothie with almond milk and coconut oil, spaghetti squash with ground turkey and veggie red sauce, an orange, walnuts, almonds, raisins, eggs with evoo

Activities: walking (sooo much walking!!)

Feeling: (9/10) Muy bien! Still a tiny bit sore in my inner thighs, but totally ready for a small workout and yoga today. I was actually sad (like it was a treat, not because I was feeling guilty) that I didn't have the time or energy to workout yesterday!

Adding the extra oils and new foods is starting to pay off, it's getting easier to reach my calorie quota. I also picked up some of the ingredients to try this paleo carrot cake (that looks friggin amazing!) for my birthday next month. Still need dates, coconut flour and coconut cream. Also, I am going to use stevia instead of maple syrup because it's cheaper and I already have some, and because I don't need a huge (even natural) sugar rush on a day I will be drinking slightly more than usual. Go team liver! As a side note, I am loving fast paleo.

I also took my kettlebell and exchanged it for a set of dumbbells...! I loved the kettlebell, but I've found that I need two weights for some of my exercises and dumbbells seemed better suited to this because I can change the weight on them without buying totally new ones (new plates alone aren't too expensive either), and a set of two that came with the plates to be adjusted up to 17lb each was much less than two comparable kettlebells. When I'm ready for one heavier weight for squats or lifts, I'm still debating between a barbell, a kettlebell, or just plates themselves. However, I'm leaning toward barbell for the same reasons.

Classes are going great and I'm thinking about how I want to set up my first 6 week challenge. Some of my broader goals are to lose weight, gain muscle, build stamina, and become more agile. So I'm thinking maybe sticking to a workout routine/schedule might be one, a reasonable amount of weight/fat % to lose in 6 weeks might be another (did I mention I ordered a new measuring tape and a body fat caliper?), and then being able to do something agile that I can not currently do by the end of the challenge. For life goals I could use food and/or school projects.

CactusWren

progress thread