Hey Everyone!

I've decided to start up a battle log.  This way I can keep track of things and not fall off the wagon if I take a break from a 6WC.

Currently, I'm trying to keep up the momentum from the past challenge.  It's tough in some ways.  Since I'm waiting to find out what I'm allowed to do with my shoulder injury, I can easily foresee changes in my workouts.

I'll keep doing my walks for cardio and keep watching what I'm eating, though I need to work on that a bit more and tweak it.

The big thing I need to do is that once I figure out my limitations for my shoulder, I need to create a workout plan and stick with it so I don't drop that aspect completely.  To be honest, I've been unmotivated since I found out I had a tear in my rotator cuff.  I like being a completionist and doing a full body workout in one shot.  I suppose I need to get over that and do what I can do for now... (As was pointed out to me by a friend (DF, this is for you), I still got legs and I should keep pressing towards the weight loss and fitness, not what I was hoping to do.)

Anyway, time to get cracking!

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

You can do it! :D

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

I didn't walk at lunch, it was drizzling and I didn't have a pre-packed lunch with me today.  So, I opted to go to Chipotle and get a bowl with extra veggies.  It was tasty and filling and I'm glad I got out of the office.

Tomorrow it's suppose to rain for half the day too, but stop for Trick or Treating tomorrow night, so that's good.  If I'm lucky I'll get to do a walk at lunch and with the kiddos (if that's the plan, I may be manning the candy bowl instead).

Current Challenge: BlamedCat's Rebirth: From Porkins to Poe     Tracking via spreadsheet

"Be very careful, then, how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15&16)

Thursday Lunch Walk

Thankfully today was nice and SUNNY!  it's such a beautiful day outside right now, so it's going to be great tonight too!

Distance: 2.43

Duration: 48:10

Pace: 19:48

My pace is off because I stopped and talked to a former co-worker I met in the parking lot just as I started my walk.

Stats from last challenge

Arm      16.1 -> 16.9

Chest   43.5 -> 43.7

Waist   46.7 -> 45.2

Hips     44.1 -> 43

Thigh   25.5 -> 25.7

Calf      17 -> 17.9

Weight  234 -> 230.2

Hey Sis, the weekend went well.  Spending time driving out to that Mice and Mystics expansion demo at the game shop was awesome.  I'm VERY glad that Joy, Reyna, and I got to go.  Ironically it was also the same day they were doing a 25hr gaming marathon for charity (Extra Life), so there were a LOT of people there playing lots of games.

I talked to the guy who demoed the game and he told me about the perks into being a demo-er for the company (that made the game).  I'm a big fan of that small company and thinking about signing up to be a demo-er in my area.  all they ask is that you demo their stuff once a month somewhere and report in on how the event went, etc.

I figure it would be:

1. a good way for me to meet new people

2. a way to give back to the community (could also toss out NF and Christian support as relationships build)

3. get free stuff to demo (which is also cool)

Now, back to reality for a moment.  Had a good doc visit, and thankfully there aren't any tears in my rotator cuff.  He did xrays and some physical tests, seems I've just got an inflamed/irritated sac (the wd40 as it were, that lubricates the shoulder).  So I opted for the steroid shot and was told to ice my shoulder this weekend.  I was also given rehab exercises to strengthen my shoulder, which I've started yesterday.

My shoulder is already feeling a LOT better, but now it's a matter of doing the rehab and icing on occasion, till things are up to snuff to even get back to normal activities.

Wow, great news from the doc! I'm so glad to hear it's not an actual tear! Although I'm sure you'll still have to baby it for a bit.

Good to see you around! I'm off to start my own battle log here :)

Yeah, rehab and icing it, so it's slow going, but I'm glad I'm making progress :)

I'm glad you're doing a Battle Log, I'd miss you if you didn't at least do that.  Thanks for all the support!

It's the incredible shrinking BC! I see big losses in the front pic & from the side in the stomach area - good going -- especially for a challenge filled with injury drama! 

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 8485 | 86 | 87  ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

ggnnnrrrrr... <noms on brains>

tired today....

Okay, so some thoughts for my next challenge (if I choose to do one, which I probably should, but I am close to burnout, which should probably be a reason to double-up and do one anyway >_>)

I could tackle the following...

1. I could continue my cardio goals and up that.  Of course I need a way to account for weather issues, since it's 'that time of year'. hmm...

2. I could add my shoulder rehab to a challenge, since that smarts and needs to be done, could also put in icing my shoulder (I could be more consistent in both these areas)

3. I could hop back to the challenge where I read my Bible daily.  Again, I've slipped on this, not that it's MANDITORY, but it's like talking with your S.O. it's nourishing and a good thing to do often and shouldn't be neglected.

4. I could somehow work in the fact that I'm going to start hosting game demos at a local comic/game shop... it's not really going to be frequent enough to be a goal, but I'm putting myself out there and stepping out of my comfort zone to meet new people, etc.

5. I could torture myself with body weight exercises that utilize everything else not related to my shoulder...

6. I could continue the career searching goal, as that's kinda at a stand-still right now.

Any other thoughts out there?

It's the incredible shrinking BC! I see big losses in the front pic & from the side in the stomach area - good going -- especially for a challenge filled with injury drama! 

Thanks, DF!  I know, it's crazy how with all this junk going on, I still managed to lose 1.5 inch from my stomach!  I should be proud of myself :)  Thanks again <hi5>

All of those are good and valid things to do. You know what I'm going to say about cardio and pushing yourself harder. :) I'm also on day 3 of recovering from doing weighted squats - which, while completely frickin killer, I'm guessing was good for me - going on the amount of pain my legs have been in this week. I'd throw some core work in there too - core work, lunges and squats on top of upped cardio. Combo that with your rehab exercises & you have 3 goals that go together right there! 

For abs, pretty much all of the HasFit ab workouts will kick your ass - and can be modified to use no to little shoulder. The standing workout is crazy good, as are any of the 3-8 minute six pack or killer workouts. I'd pick a few and watch them through to see if they won't use your shoulder in a bad way or if you can see workarounds. I love their cardio workouts as well, but I can't remember any off the top of my head that don't involve shoulders -- most of their cardio workouts are really whole body workouts. You could always join me in doing the Zombies, Run! 5k trainer ... I'm still not calling anything I'm doing 'running' just 'intervals with quick-moving parts'. I'm on week 3 and so far I'm digging it - enough to leave the house in the cold and the dark 3x a week. 

• Like 1

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

All of those are good and valid things to do. You know what I'm going to say about cardio and pushing yourself harder. :) I'm also on day 3 of recovering from doing weighted squats - which, while completely frickin killer, I'm guessing was good for me - going on the amount of pain my legs have been in this week. I'd throw some core work in there too - core work, lunges and squats on top of upped cardio. Combo that with your rehab exercises & you have 3 goals that go together right there! 

For abs, pretty much all of the HasFit ab workouts will kick your ass - and can be modified to use no to little shoulder. The standing workout is crazy good, as are any of the 3-8 minute six pack or killer workouts. I'd pick a few and watch them through to see if they won't use your shoulder in a bad way or if you can see workarounds. I love their cardio workouts as well, but I can't remember any off the top of my head that don't involve shoulders -- most of their cardio workouts are really whole body workouts. You could always join me in doing the Zombies, Run! 5k trainer ... I'm still not calling anything I'm doing 'running' just 'intervals with quick-moving parts'. I'm on week 3 and so far I'm digging it - enough to leave the house in the cold and the dark 3x a week. 

<Fights the urge to whine about evil cardio> Okay, as for your weighted squats, YES those are killer :) and YES it is good for you. (See I don't mind weights lol).

Hmm... okay so some sort of core workout (thank you for the suggestions), lunges and squats, k... hmm... upper cardio... this is where doing some kickboxing or martial arts would be great, but even my wife suggested I look to youtube and I feel like practicing martial arts via youtube is a bit sacrilegious lol.

This is some good brainstorming!...  As for Zombies, Run! 5k trainer... I have seen it... haven't purchased it, but I have heard good things about it.  That's cool that it works for you :D  I promise to look into it later today.

Lol. You'll be fine .. whatever doesn't kill us, makes us stronger and all that. ;) 

Re: kickboxing - I'd ask the doc. I love the HasFit kickboxing routines, but I know they killed my shoulders in the beginning - of course, I was starting from zero muscle, so that's probably the issue, but they do make my upper arms feel hot (temperature wise). But, if you're cleared for movement & just not weight; I'd say go for it. It's a tricky cardio workout. 

So far I'm liking how gently the app is easing into things. The hubbs is doing the regular Zombies, Run! app - but he's an actual runner, and therefore sucks.  :) He's liking it for limiting his time out / making sure he does something different so he will actually go for a more 'i'm getting older and my knees suck' pace.  

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, and glad to see there is no tear.  Do whatever you can manage, every little bit will add up.  What kind on eating are you doing?  I have had a lot of success with keto/paleo eating.  I am never really hungry and I don't crave all those bad things much anymore.  Get started with your challenge and best of luck!!

I'm so glad to hear your shoulder's not torn.  I would definitely make the rehab exercises part of your challenge, should you decide to do one, I know I would need the extra accountability. 

I was so impressed with your results from last challenge - they were great.  And you got there while injured.  Awesome job.

TANSTAAFL - Heinlein

Current Challenge

Level 6 Ranger. Level 1 Monk. STR 11.5, DEX 5.5, STA 11, CON 14.5, WIS 15, CHA 12.5

Challenge 1 Challenge 2 Challenge 3 Challenge 4 Challenge 5 Challenge 6

Fitbit MyFitnessPal Battle Log

Lol. You'll be fine .. whatever doesn't kill us, makes us stronger and all that. ;)

Re: kickboxing - I'd ask the doc. I love the HasFit kickboxing routines, but I know they killed my shoulders in the beginning - of course, I was starting from zero muscle, so that's probably the issue, but they do make my upper arms feel hot (temperature wise). But, if you're cleared for movement & just not weight; I'd say go for it. It's a tricky cardio workout. 

So far I'm liking how gently the app is easing into things. The hubbs is doing the regular Zombies, Run! app - but he's an actual runner, and therefore sucks.   :) He's liking it for limiting his time out / making sure he does something different so he will actually go for a more 'i'm getting older and my knees suck' pace.  

lol yeah...

Yeah, he hasn't cleared me for that, but he said any movements under the shoulder were fine, I just need to be mindful of my body.  I can say that the rehab is actually pretty challenging, even though it's just a little resistance band.  I can say I can't prop myself up on my elbows (did this playing a game on the floor the other day) and I got a mild burning sensation in my shoulder, so still gotta be careful.

As for Zombies, are you both doing the same app?  Are there different settings on that app?

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, and glad to see there is no tear.  Do whatever you can manage, every little bit will add up.  What kind on eating are you doing?  I have had a lot of success with keto/paleo eating.  I am never really hungry and I don't crave all those bad things much anymore.  Get started with your challenge and best of luck!!

Thanks man.  As far as eating, I was counting calories and limiting bread/sugar.  It seems to work with one 'cheat' day factored in, aka unforseen dinners like tator tot casserole ;)  What's Keto eating?  I know Paleo and have tried to do that, but it's hard when I've got extended family that share the home with us.  I still keep working on it because we can't outrun our forks.  Thanks!

I'm so glad to hear your shoulder's not torn.  I would definitely make the rehab exercises part of your challenge, should you decide to do one, I know I would need the extra accountability. 

I was so impressed with your results from last challenge - they were great.  And you got there while injured.  Awesome job.

Yeah, it's easy to skip, that much I've noticed.  Aww, thanks!  I was surprised by them too, but now I gotta get myself out of this mental funk.

I am doing the Zombies, Run! 5k Trainer app and the hubbs is doing the regular Zombies, Run! app. Both tie into the same system (the Zombies, Run! game) and the stats, etc. are shared & stored in that system. The story is also shared - the 5k trainer takes place between episodes 1 & 2 of the Zombies, Run! storyline. 

Dangers of living up north: the hubbs just about got snowed out on his morning run. I think he managed to finish, but it was flurrying by the time he got home. I'm hoping it doesn't stick so I can do mine this evening. 

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

I am doing the Zombies, Run! 5k Trainer app and the hubbs is doing the regular Zombies, Run! app. Both tie into the same system (the Zombies, Run! game) and the stats, etc. are shared & stored in that system. The story is also shared - the 5k trainer takes place between episodes 1 & 2 of the Zombies, Run! storyline. 

Dangers of living up north: the hubbs just about got snowed out on his morning run. I think he managed to finish, but it was flurrying by the time he got home. I'm hoping it doesn't stick so I can do mine this evening. 

Oooh okay coolness hmm..  I only knew of the one app.. interesting :D

Oh fun!  and here I am complaining about 45 degree temp lol.  

I hope you can do yours too, that would be helpful, if you can't do you have any alternative plans?

Nope. I've spent an inordinate (for anyone but me) amount of time concentrating on/planning for what to do when it gets cold and I still have to do my intervals. Most of that obsessive thinking has been lobbed at what clothing items to wear so I don't freeze to death. I have no idea what to do if there's frozen stuff on the ground and don't have an indoor area accessible to me that's large enough to accomplish my goals without falling down from dizziness within a few minutes. 

The hubbs and I did talk about seeing if we could find some sort of indoor space - like maybe the YMCA in Coney Island - but I'd have to take the train & walk there or be exhausted by the time I walk there from home -- either way, that would add half an hour to an hour to my workout time and would eat up all the time for making and eating dinner. If there is an extended freeze in the next 4 weeks (I'm halfway done with the 5k program) I will have to re-assess; but I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping there isn't for now. I think it snowed & stuck 3x last year - and if I remember correctly, all of those times were post New Year. 

According to the Internets, it's 39 degrees right now, and it looks like the flurries have stopped. If Apple weather is correct, it looks like it will be 39-37 from 5-6, moving from cloudy to clear. I've done a 45 degrees interval session; this will be the first time dipping down that low. Hopefully the gloves I got will keep my hands from burning and the hat I have will keep my ears from feeling brittle. :) 

Level 87 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Oooh, sounds like you've got a plan then and it also sounds like you've got the weather on your side :)  Now if it turns to ice, that's when you pick up ice skating ;)

I went for my walk, it was a chili 45, but it was sunny... so that helped cut the WIND... it was 1.5 miles not bad, but I was slower due to the cold this time around.  I'm still glad I got out there and did it though :)

Oh and in case anyone following me here didn't see my new challenge thread in the Monks:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40111-blamedcat-trains-on-mt-kolts/

Enjoy...

=================================================

BC reporting in... 

I called in work today, yay for sicknesses that share with the WHOLE family.  My son and my wife were both sick with temps yesterday and while I don't have a temp, I feel clammy and all that junk.

I totally flopped on coming up with a next challenge, so here we are on day 1 of the new challenge and I don't have anything new or exciting to shoot for lol.

I passed my last challenge, but gained weight :/  235, not bad, but still, boo for taking a few steps back.

Lets see... things that need doing...

1. Shoulder Rehab - it's still needing rehab.

2. Zombies 5k - that's still going strong, week 4 wasn't as scary as I was thinking it was and I still have one session left for "week 4" that I haven't gotten to yet, but I'll keep doing this.  (Especially since I purchased new running shoes)

3. Diet - same song and dance, I need to get back to tracking.  I've had more success with losing weight in the past with the Lose It! app, so I'm going back there, see what comes of it. (Still wish I could find a partner to share pics of everything consumed with.) Oh well, I've got enough willpower to press on here.

4. Need to start my budget back up again, we've slacked on this.

5. Checking into 2 jobs.  One, is still for that non-profit organization, they still need an IT guy, but I haven't gotten in touch with the COO that supposedly wants to speak to me.  I'll keep trying.  The other, was something that came up in conversation yesterday when I was at church.  Apparently, they need an A/V guy, since the one they have is temporarily filling in the gap left from the last one employed.  It's a full-time position, so we'll see where that goes (at least the church is 15 min from my house as opposed to 45 for my normal commute).

6. Oh and next time I do a challenge, I need to use a spreadsheet, that helps tremendously to keep stats on my mind as opposed to me "thinking" I'm doing x ;)

And now... that it's 10am... I need to get up and go get breakfast.

It sounds like you still have a good handle on what you need to get done - exciting news on the job front! Good luck with that, I know it's been a long journey for you already :)

Even if you ultimately decide not to do the challenge (although you can take a few days to think about it, and join a little late....) I would suggest that you keep a spreadsheet anyways - it would be a really good test of how much doing a challenge makes a difference in your behaviour, and as you said, hard numbers are easier to compare that "I think I did..."

Cool to hear that you're still excited about the zombies thing too! Keep it up :D

And get some rest, and feel better - you sound like you're in a slumpy sort of mood, I'm sure you just need to heal up a bit, and you'll feel much rosier about things.

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE