Who shoots and/or hunts?

I just found out today that I am going to be taking possession of a 1911. Not a 1911a1 mind you, but a blued Colt Model of 1911, purchased new in 1913 by a distant bootlegger gangster relative. To say I am stoked is a real understatement.

Hell Yeah!!!  My Grandfather's old WW2 1911 shoots just as good as my Springfield. 

"A sharp knife is nothing without a sharp eye" - Koloth

"Ya can't grill it until ya kill it" - Uncle Ted

"If it ain't Metal...IT'S CRAP!!!" - Dee Snider

Used to be a fairly avid hunter back home. Deer season always brought out my Remington 700 in 300 winmag. Duck, dove, and quail with an 870.

As far as the "toys"

XD 9M

Yugo AK with matching serials.

Yugo SKS with matching serials.

Henry lever action 30-30

Savage arms 338 lapua

10/22

I love plain old shooting and hunting. Too bad Washington hunting laws are garbage.

I love guns in general. However, with few exceptions, I only hunt for meat when needed. My arsenal is a bit budget friendly. I own a Taurus 92AF, a High-standard training pistol from WWII, and a Mosin Nagant. It's been mutilated (sportsterized) but is still fun as hell to shoot. And at a quarter a shot it's pretty affordable. I just love shooting really. Archery is a favorite of mine as well. Ah speaking of bows, one of the exceptions is killing rabbits in defense of the garden with my recurve ^-^ that 243 on a Mauser action sounds beautiful. Wood stock or synthetic?

Perfection, but still releasing new models. Hmmm sounds familiar. Glocks remind me of IPhones. And I'm an Android guy ;3

°~°

°¬° 

All my rifles are wood stocked. I'm big on classc firearms and even if they are modern I'd prefer they look the part. My SR-9 will stay plastic, but as a carry pistol it's hard to beat plastic and stainless.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Thanks for all the advice.  In the end, I'm probably going to buy both, 1911 first. 

If you buy new, expect to give the gun a decent break in period before you really start to enjoy it. My 1911 had several failure to feeds and the occasional misfire for the first 500 rounds or so, and I've seen this commonly with new 1911s. They also tend to be picky with ammo, even after the break in period. If you tend towards good quality ammo this won't be a problem, but if you usually pick up the cheapest box on the shelf, you may run into issues.

I don't like Glocks at all. They advertise "perfection" but they are on a 4th generation.  If they are perfect, why a new gen?

A simple answer is that time changes the expectations of perfection. The Gen 4 is also the first time Glock officially recognized a different design. Previous "generations" changed the grip texture, added finger grooves to the grip, and added a rail. Not really substantial changes.

Ironically, Gen 4 also marks the first time that Glocks really had any malfunction.

Perfection, but still releasing new models. Hmmm sounds familiar. Glocks remind me of IPhones. And I'm an Android guy ;3

°~°

In that sense, perhaps. But consider the non-OEM support that Glocks have - every gun store on earth can service them, several aftermarket gunsmiths support them. You can have a Glock with 2 or 3 OEM parts. This is not dissimilar to 1911s, which have been around 3 times as long.

Glocks are custom made to make my hand hurt. The angle of the backstrap hooks into the joint in my thumb and tries to dislocated it. My SR9 on the other hand is as comfortable a handgun as I've ever shot.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

Personal tastes XD I fall in the middle, liking the M9 style of pistols. Glocks just don't feel right to me. Although I've heard they do perform fantastically.

°~°

I completely agree. I know a lot of people who shoot exclusively Glocks, and a lot more that shoot exclusively not Glocks. I've shot a lot of guns, owned a fair amount. I've owned my Glock the longest and right now it's the only one I have. I enjoy shooting it and I feel comfortable carrying it, so I don't really need anything else.

Glocks are custom made to make my hand hurt. The angle of the backstrap hooks into the joint in my thumb and tries to dislocated it. My SR9 on the other hand is as comfortable a handgun as I've ever shot.

Glocks (or Crocks as I call them) have a grip angle that goes back to the German idea of shooting one handed and in a sideways position.  Not really geared for combat. They had to retrain how to shoot them and hired thousands of retired police to teach the "new" way of shooting which if just to compensate for a mistake in handle angle. The Weaver or modified Weaver isn't geared for Glocks.  Not to mention the mag release button where you have to turn the gun to hit it.  Not that way on M&Ps or 1911s. 

This is also why you are seeing more and more police forces dropping Glocks and going to the Smith & Wesson M&Ps.  M&P has a vastly superior trigger, and when you slam a mag in, the slide release kicks in and racks the gun for you.  Which when you need a second, it's there for you, you don't have to rack it like in the Glock.  

I feel like any gun needs 500 rounds of "getting to know you" and another few hundred after that to really dial it in. I don't think Springfield makes the GI 1911 any more, but I see them around now and then. I'm anticipating getting the whole gun worked over before I really take it out; one of my co-workers is a fantastic gunsmith, and can help me out there.

Any autoloader I can think of does. What about revolvers though?

°~°

°¬° 

When I was shooting trap I wouldn't take it to a serious night until I had 1000 rounds down a new gun. You just can't move by reflex without a lot of time behind a gun. I've never worried about break in time with a rifle though. I never find myself snap shooting with a rifle.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

I finally got the chance to go shooting yesterday and test out my new sights. A friend brought out a couple 1/4" aluminum scrap plates and tied one up to a tree at about 15 yards. I hit it dead center, snapped one of the strings holding it in place and it started swinging like a pendulum, so we got some moving practice in, too. Another plate was set up at about 35 yards and I decided to take a couple cracks at it, hit it first try. :)

Anyone in the market for some new sights, I definitely recommend Advantage Tactical. Obviously just about everything is an improvement over stock Glock sights, but these are a vast improvement over three dot systems as well (my opinion of course). 

post-12747-0-90508500-1390194667_thumb.j

I'm a little late to this party, but I hunt - deer, turkey, small game. Moose and bear and if I ever get the chance, I'd love to go (further) up North and hunt caribou. Anything I can eat, really! I was vegetarian for 6 years and then decided to hunt. My dad has been hunting since I can remember and my brother did too, though I was too busy horseback riding when I was younger to join. 

I own a 16g shotgun (Ithaca Featherlight from the '50s)  and use some of my dads rifles depending on where I'm hunting (an old Midland in .270win for the longer field shots, an even older Winchester lever-action in .44mag for the thick stuff). I also own a crossbow for bow season, since it's so much longer than rifle season! At some point I'd love to try vertical bows (compound and recurve).

No interest in handguns, but then again - I'm Canadian and you can only use handguns at the range, no carry here. 

A Level 3 Wood Elf Finding Her Way

“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.†William G.T. Shedd

My People  :livid:

Current Challenge: Taking Time

Nice man, definitely give compound and recurve bows a shot. The time spent in practice is definitely worth it. I started with a compound bow and then went to a recurve. I learned alot about how bows work from the recurve. I shot it exclusively for months before I picked up my compound again. And when I did I accidentally shot the fletchings off my arrows XD. Coincidentally, I haven't really shot much since then.

In unrelated news, has anyone heard of Brassmaxx bullets from Tulammo? Picked up two 50 round boxes of 9mm yesterday and was surprised. They were 12 bucks each. I expected basically normal bullets. I believe the tips are actually brass jackets though. They are harder than copper alloy, and make a different sound. Closer to steel honestly. Not magnetic though. Bullets were made in Italy. I did research this, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience. There were very varied stories ranging from they stink, literally, to they're amazing bullets for cheap. My personal experience, they shoot.

°~°

°¬° 

I had a couple flats of Tula primers that were absolute garbage. I don't know if it was a batch issue or a company-wide one.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Nice man, definitely give compound and recurve bows a shot. The time spent in practice is definitely worth it. I started with a compound bow and then went to a recurve. I learned alot about how bows work from the recurve. I shot it exclusively for months before I picked up my compound again. And when I did I accidentally shot the fletchings off my arrows XD. Coincidentally, I haven't really shot much since then.

...You know I'm a lady, right? :P [Well, if that was directed at me, of course]

Either way, I will indeed give compound and recurve a try. Xbows are nice in that they don't require near as much practice so you can 'grab and go' anytime during bow season (which, for us up here, is just shy of 3 months), but I'd like the challenge of a compound and then recurve. 

A Level 3 Wood Elf Finding Her Way

“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.†William G.T. Shedd

My People  :livid:

Current Challenge: Taking Time

In unrelated news, has anyone heard of Brassmaxx bullets from Tulammo? Picked up two 50 round boxes of 9mm yesterday and was surprised. They were 12 bucks each. I expected basically normal bullets. I believe the tips are actually brass jackets though. They are harder than copper alloy, and make a different sound. Closer to steel honestly. Not magnetic though. Bullets were made in Italy. I did research this, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience. There were very varied stories ranging from they stink, literally, to they're amazing bullets for cheap. My personal experience, they shoot.

°~°

I've never had any trouble with Tulammo, it's actually one of my favorite rounds to shoot because of it's price point. It does shoot on the hot side, but it's better than Remington or Winchester in my experience.

...You know I'm a lady, right? :tongue: [Well, if that was directed at me, of course]

Either way, I will indeed give compound and recurve a try. Xbows are nice in that they don't require near as much practice so you can 'grab and go' anytime during bow season (which, for us up here, is just shy of 3 months), but I'd like the challenge of a compound and then recurve. 

Being accurate with a compound is actually very easy. When I first got my bow after having it tuned and set up for me, I hit the fletching of the first arrow I shot with my second arrow. You have a much longer sight profile than you do with even most long guns (and crossbows). This accuracy however depends on your bow set up, quality of arrows and most importantly, you. I could geek out talking about all the variables involved in shooting a bow. :P

<~~ shoots his compound like a recurve. My peep sight broke out of the string, and I've been running that way ever since. Although my bow is from ancient times lol. All metal pse that they stopped carrying about 5 years before I bought it around 10 years ago, and some form of a Bear bow. They're both pretty decent. I never did get used to the parallel limb thing.

I'ma have to go shoot my bow again now.

°~°

°¬° 

My only issue with the 10mm is that it is an answer to a question that no one ever asked. It is nearly identical in external ballistics to the 357 magnum, which is great for someone in the woods. The issue is that a revolver is inherently better in both the accuracy and durability departments when dealing with a cartridge like the 10mm or 357. As a carry piece it recoils far too much for as accurate a follow-up as the typical choices (ie 9mm, 40, 45), and also hasn't really proven out to be a better stopper than them either.

As for a compact 9mm, I am a Ruger fan-boy and would say get an SR9-C.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

This is going to be a big week for me.  Last year, I was denied my pistol permit, due to (get this) my driving record.  It took 7 months for me to get my appeal heard, but it's this Friday.

In CT, without a permit of some kind you can no longer (or as of April 2014): buy any gun (rifle, shotgun handgun, anything), buy any ammunition, carry any firearm outside the home or firing range, purchase any firearm privately.  So this is a mild inconvenience for me, obviously.

On that note, assuming I win (and since my local PD has already violated/ignored the laws about issuing my permit multiple times, I likely will), does anyone have thoughts on 10mm?  And a good compact 9mm or .380?  I want a Seecamp pistol, but the wait list is almost a year long sometimes.

Move...just move.   CT & NY are typical examples of how idiotic Anti-gunners (or Anti-Americans as I call them) can be in numbers. 

10mm is a good caliber (Ted Nugent carries it almost all the time).  9mm...Nazi's used 9mms.  .380 is a 9mm short, see previous Nazi statement.  

I carry 1911s .45acp on my personal guns and my duty weapon (Smith & Wesson M&P) is a .40cal. 

• Like 1

While the photoshopped mushroom cloud 10mm comparison is cute, it hasn't been shown in the field to be a better stopper.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"