Career help please. tired of dead end jobs.

I'm tired of dead end jobs that pays little and takes me nowhere. It's past time for me to start thinking of a career. I'll be 31 on the 16th of January, I feel like I've completely squandered my youth, and I hope its not to late for me to make a change.

I guess why I'm posting here is because I don't even know where to start. I have no idea what I even want to do, at least not realistically. I know I don't want anything that's going to take 2 to 4 years to earn a degree being I'm married with children and just don't have the time or resources, and I'm just hoping that some of my fellow nerds might be able to point me in the right direction.

I really don't even know where to start.

So I'm just wondering, is there maybe some kind of "career planners" out there that I may be able to contact? Or anything like that? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

"Limits like fears are often just an illusion†— Micheal Jordan

To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary" Bruce Lee

"The key to success is failure" <p> Micheal Jordan

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39666-superman116-quest-for-wellness/

Just to let you know...I will reply when I'm at a Computer

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

The ideal job for most of us is to get paid for doing something we love. So what do you love to do? How can you translate that into $$? And more importantly, what can you do in your current job to improve yourself or your opportunities? What do you spend your 'spare' tone on now? Is that moving you in a direction you want to go?

Yes there are career counseling services , but they are going to be asking the same kinds of questions that you can ask yourself.

sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

• Like 1

Tally Sheet for 2019

The ideal job for most of us is to get paid for doing something we love. So what do you love to do? How can you translate that into $$? And more importantly, what can you do in your current job to improve yourself or your opportunities? What do you spend your 'spare' tone on now? Is that moving you in a direction you want to go? Yes there are career counseling services , but they are going to be asking the same kinds of questions that you can ask yourself. sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

thanks, one thing I've been considering getting into is real estate. It just seems like it would be something I'd like.

"Limits like fears are often just an illusion†— Micheal Jordan

To me, defeat in anything is merely temporary" Bruce Lee

"The key to success is failure" <p> Micheal Jordan

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39666-superman116-quest-for-wellness/

Find a realtor and ask if you can shadow them on a Saturday

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Tally Sheet for 2019

Honestly. There is no easy answered. I have covered the topic of freelancing to death. I don't want to post any unsolicited links. I will just say this though.

Can you think of a skill that you posses that others desire? This could be anything. Even the ability to speak English!

Freelancing is the best way to get started. The startup costs are ZERO.

You can work with a staffing company that can find you something based on your experience. They offer a lot of temp jobs that can turn permanent, but you will almost certainly have to work your way up somewhere over time. I have a 4yr degree and I am dealing with the same thing. It's rough out there!

The ideal job for most of us is to get paid for doing something we love.

But, realistically, that actually describes virtually noone. There aren't a whole lot of "I love doing this" jobs, even then either the pay sucks or the entry requirements are near impossible.

For the vast majority of people, a good career is one that you can generally tolerate most of the time, is interesting at least, and pays you well enough. You aren't eager to go to work on Mondays and look forward to Fridays, yet you don't mind going to work on days when you are supposed to.

Chasing a career that you love has left many with no career at all, or worse, the discovery that love is fleeting. And it has caused far to many to sputter with the decision on which way to go.

Getting paid to do something you love is for the most part a romantic ideal.

• Like 2

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

But, realistically, that actually describes virtually noone. There aren't a whole lot of "I love doing this" jobs, even then either the pay sucks or the entry requirements are near impossible.

For the vast majority of people, a good career is one that you can generally tolerate most of the time, is interesting at least, and pays you well enough. You aren't eager to go to work on Mondays and look forward to Fridays, yet you don't mind going to work on days when you are supposed to.

Chasing a career that you love has left many with no career at all, or worse, the discovery that love is fleeting. And it has caused far to many to sputter with the decision on which way to go.

This ^^^^^

I'll add that sometimes it's not the actual work (as in the job description) that gets to you, it's all the OTHER BS that goes along with it.  Could be anything from incompetent management to obnoxious co-workers to working in a building with crappy bathrooms.  

I've known LOTS of people (both online acquaintances and in meatspace) who spent their lives pursuing a job doing what they love (musicians,actors, writers, etc).  Generally they worked as bartenders or waiters so they can eat and live indoors while waiting for their big break.  Sometimes that big break never comes.

For the OP:  What, honestly, are you GOOD at?  People will pay you more to do something you're good at than they will to do something you love but suck at (or maybe are just inexperienced at).  

Don't forget about the skilled trades, welding, carpentry, electrical, etc.  Like Edison said, people overlook opportunity because it shows up in overalls and looks like work.

Don't forget about the skilled trades, welding, carpentry, electrical, etc.  Like Edison said, people overlook opportunity because it shows up in overalls and looks like work.

It seems noone ever wants to do these things, I guess it lacks that "I love my job" romanticism, and there is no pathway to it from there. However generally they pay well (some of them quite well) and very few (at least that I have met) hate their job; the work is tolerable and usually interesting at least.

currently cutting

don't panic!

It seems noone ever wants to do these things, I guess it lacks that "I love my job" romanticism, and there is no pathway to it from there. However generally they pay well (some of them quite well) and very few (at least that I have met) hate their job; the work is tolerable and usually interesting at least.

Mike Rowe (of Dirty Jobs fame) has a TED talk about this type of thing.  He mentioned (not sure if it was the TED talk or elsewhere) about a power-plant project down South that had to be cancelled, after they had the approvals, funding, etc, because they couldn't find enough skilled welders to do the work.

Even though I'm a computer programmer by occupation, I've done plumbing, appliance repair, auto repair, basic carpentry, and a bunch of other skilled labor for my own household (because sometimes I'm too cheap to pay someone to do it).  There's nothing undignified about it.  For instance, a couple weeks ago the belt on the dryer broke.  I could've paid a repair-person probably $200 to come in and fix it, and would have had to take a day off of work to do so.  I bought the belt for $20, looked up on the Web for how to do the repair, and did it myself, on my own schedule (a Sunday evening).  Took me about 45 minutes, and it only took that long because I put the belt on upside down, so I had to take it apart again and correct it.

Back to the OP, don't be afraid to look outside the traditional employment opportunities.  I read about a company a few years ago called "Rent a Husband" or something like that.  It was a guy who'd come in and do light household repairs, like hanging curtain rods or fixing leaky sinks.  The types of things that traditionally a wife put on her husband's Honey-do list.  They apparently make a good business out of it.  They saw a need that was being under-fulfilled, and met it for a price.

• Like 2

Even though I'm a computer programmer by occupation, I've done plumbing, appliance repair, auto repair, basic carpentry, and a bunch of other skilled labor for my own household (because sometimes I'm too cheap to pay someone to do it).  There's nothing undignified about it.

I'm an engineer and have spent quite a bit of time on commercial construction projects. If I wasn't an engineer, skilled construction is definitely what I'd go into, probably HVAC/mechanical. Pays well, and those guys always seem to have a good time (at least in the commercial setting where crews are larger, bit of a different world than someone coming to fix something at the house). But electrical, structural welding, plumbing, fine carpentry, etc... all seem like good careers.

currently cutting

don't panic!

The ideal job for most of us is to get paid for doing something we love. So what do you love to do? How can you translate that into $$? And more importantly, what can you do in your current job to improve yourself or your opportunities? What do you spend your 'spare' tone on now? Is that moving you in a direction you want to go?

Yes there are career counseling services , but they are going to be asking the same kinds of questions that you can ask yourself.

sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

I know. Your advice is better. I've been very blessed. But before I landed in this position, I worked hard at enjoying whatever I was doing. I have been very blessed.

Tally Sheet for 2019

I don't like construction business but i will chase it because it has opportunity to create me money. I've hated every day in my job but still i'm heading to school to get the papers so that i could work as construction manager. It isn't fun but if i can tolerate it and move sums of money into stock, then maybe. Just maybe someday i can quit mty dayjob and spend my days doing whatever i like. If you don't have a dreamjob, maybe it is because you don't dream of working? Then the work is necessary evil that you have to deal with to fulfill your dreams?

I absolutely love my job, the pay is decent, and I have a free house + utilities. I've loved my job for 10 years. Most of the people I work with are in similar positions. I actually also have a part time job that I love.  But I have also made sure that my training isn't SO specialized that I have no other career options.

You can do it, you just have to be practical about it. Are there lots of people that love playing with legos? Yeah. Are there lots that get paid for it? I doubt it. 

But I do know people in other fields that love their jobs. A friend that's a bar tender loves it. Some teacher friends. A friend that's a psychologist. Some nurse friends. 

Do I have a friend who "Absolutely loved botany" and works at a restaurant and hates it there? yes. But of my friends, she is in the minority.

Overall, I think having a job you love is not as far fetched a notion as some people would think.

But in some ways, I agree that this is practical advice, in that maybe instead of finding an exact job you love, find a job that incorporates things you love or like. A friend of mine does not love mowing or lawn care but he doesn't mind it and likes working outside. He does, however, love Civil War and American History. He doesn't have qualifications for most jobs involving history, and jobs like that are mostly research, writing or teaching. He also really likes fixing things and working on cars, but is a single dad and doesn't want to get certifications for that. So he does maintenance work at a civil war state park. He gets to help install exhibits and see behind-the-scene artifacts. Sometimes when working, he finds artifacts. So there are aspects of his job that are super exciting to him while the rest is something he doesn't mind doing.

Also, I agree with not forgetting about skilled trade job. My brother in law is a welder. He's always giving me crap cause he dropped out of high school and makes like 2-3 times what I do. I know a guy that drives a vendor truck for the Frito-Lay company. He stays local, works 8-5ish, and makes a really good pay. A CDL isn't hard to get.

I wish you luck in finding a career that suits your needs.

• Like 1

Honestly. There is no easy answered. I have covered the topic of freelancing to death. I don't want to post any unsolicited links. I will just say this though.

Can you think of a skill that you posses that others desire? This could be anything. Even the ability to speak English!

Freelancing is the best way to get started. The startup costs are ZERO.

I agree, I started doing it on the side while looking for a "job" and as I didnt find one I started investing more time on my freelance career and it has been paying off, still with plenty room for improvement.

I’d take a look at your previuous “dead end “ jobs and either look for common characteristics or transferable skills and start applying to better jobs that demand those skills. Personally, I’m less about passion and more about pragmatism- what is it the you learned that people would pay or value. 

Perhaps it's time you wrote down what's your educational background? Your skillsets? Foreign languages spoken? Coding languages learned? Years of practical knowledge in a specific field, perhaps? 

Can't really help you, given the vague generalization. Perhaps you'd be better off owing your own company, who knows?

It's hard to give you any valuable pointers since you're not completely sure what it is you'd like to do, which areas you wish to be intellectually creative at. 

Really tough question to answer because there is so many ways to love or hate your job. I love playing video games but I don't want to play them 8 hours a day. I wouldnt like them with someone watching how I play etc.

What I think you need to do to help you figure things out is breakdown want you would like with your career. Some examples:

Do I want to work for high pay--i really just like making big money

Do I enjoy working with people?

Do I want a job that helps people in some way (eg health care)

Do I want to work with a team or work alone?

What kind of hours do I like? Am i willing to do a night shift? work over 40 hours a week? Work two jobs?

What are these dead end jobs I have worked? Are they dead ends because I close the doors or just dont give a poop about them?

I believe loving your job ultimately comes down to being grateful and mindset. I have seen bus drivers that love and hate their work. I have seen the same with Doctors, lawyers...you name it really.

I work as a physiotherapist and I do love my job for the most part. Just like you love your kids, sometimes you want to strangle someone or just quit. If you think your going to be in cloud 9 all day, everyday at work, well give me whatever drugs your having because that is just not realistic.

Also worth mentioning but if you've been applying around and not getting anything, part of the problem could be your resume. I teach a college course where I have students turn in one twice during the semester and some of the ones I see, even after workshopping with them, are pretty rough. I'd be happy to provide some feedback if it would be relevant--feel free to DM me.

Otherwise, as others have said, unfortunately there is no formula to success or happiness. I think there's a fascination with landing some kind of dream job, probably as a side effect of capitalism (not shitting on it as an economic strategy, but our culture is hyper focused on being productive and finding meaning in work as a result). But for a lot of people, a job is a job. Their meaning in life comes from other things, whether it's being a parent or a runner or a volunteer somewhere or whatever. I love my job, but I could do other things. This is what I'm good at, and I feel a sense of pride when my students do cool things. But I could do other things if I needed to.

A lot of my students ask me how they can make a difference. I tell them, look, some people have to make that a part of their career. They take the non-profit jobs, which are often low paying and produce high burnout. That makes them happy. Other people want to be secure, so they take a job they're good at and can make money doing, then spend their off time volunteering or advocating for stuff. There's no shame in making money.

Likewise, there's no shame in a job just being a job. It's one thing if you want to move up, really hate where you're at right now for whatever reason, or want to develop new skills. It's also okay if your job is just what you do to get by. I've known dump truck drivers and janitors and electricians and hell, teachers and doctors and businesspeople who weren't passionate about their careers, other than making sure they did a good job. They weren't necessarily going anywhere with it, but that was enough. They fed their families, counted their blessings, and found meaning in other places.

So I guess my question is: What are you looking for in a job?

EDIT: I just saw how old this post was, so I want to say my offer is open, re: resumes and CVs.