Introverts, Social Misfits and the Terror of Talking to People

I attribute all of my introverted social problems to the simple fact that I'm a coward. And since I do not like being a coward, I dove in deep and made attempts to socialize as fast as my brain could process it. I am finding out now that I no longer fear many types of social interaction, and I even excel at some of them, and I enjoy it. Even though I have proved my fear to be irrational, I still have to slowly disengage that fear for every new social experience I take on.

But as far as I know, I'm not a member of the government, I promise!

Sure you are. And I'm actually cyborg from the future here to destroy you all.

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

That's exactly what a CIA operative would say!

No. He should be trusted. Governmental agencies don't do promises.

They don't keep them; they definitely make them - certainly before an election.

My eyes were blurry, and I switched some Ls and Rs in some spots of the sentence. Made me do a double-take. Hilarity ensued. 

When I am in this thread, I wonder how many introvert read it and think "I can totally relate to this." But don't type in and say anything because... well... they are introverts. 

*waves*

Though it is nice to have a place I don't have to try to be a non-socially awkward non-introvert person and how much home is better than being out where the people are.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

*waves*

Though it is nice to have a place I don't have to try to be a non-socially awkward non-introvert person and how much home is better than being out where the people are.

Fantastic place indeed. Nice knowing I'm not the only person as weird as me.

I tend to really weird things without even noticing. Most of the time I end up having to make it look like I meant to do it. Also, me and my bad humor.

• Like 2

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

Just got back from Christmas party. Big boss was there. I was doing well for a while talking to him. Some how my awkwardness came out. It ended with me going on about a back story about a squirrel (in a sweater).

Why can't I not be awkward? And especially with people with power?

• Like 1

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

I don't think we're ever as awkward as we think we are.

Being able to successfully navigate small talk requires a great deal of patience and practice - it's a skill set like any other.  We just didn't happen to spend skill points on Bluff at character creation.  Silly us.

Yup. If we heard thoughts in people's head... we'll know that they're awkward too.

"Shit. you were looking at her chest again. Wasn't supposed to do that. That's bad. Be ashame of yourself, you scumbag sexist pig. But it was like an eye magnet. No she's looking this way. Pretend this didn't happen. Quick!"

"He's crying. HE CRYING!  Holy sh*t. Override! Override! I don't know how to handle this. Should I, like, hug him or somethin'? Oh Crysler, he snot. How does adult male snot! You're being inappropriate. His wife just left. Act like an adult!."

"That's my boss on a treadmill. Oh, his shorts are so short. It's a work out gear. It's supposed to be short. Still, it's soooooo short. What do I do? I won't say hi. He won't see me, right Okay, I'm gonna sneak this wawy. Sh*t. Shi*t! He's waving. He saw me. Okay. Should I pretend to be somebody else? I can do that. He thinks Asians look alike, right? No, he's still waving. I should wave back. There. There. Hiyo Bosser. Gonna not try to look at your sweaty thigh. I shouldn't have thought that. Look at his face. HIS FACE."

• Like 1

"That's my boss on a treadmill. Oh, his shorts are so short. It's a work out gear. It's supposed to be short. Still, it's soooooo short. What do I do? I won't say hi. He won't see me, right Okay, I'm gonna sneak this wawy. Sh*t. Shi*t! He's waving. He saw me. Okay. Should I pretend to be somebody else? I can do that. He thinks Asians look alike, right? No, he's still waving. I should wave back. There. There. Hiyo Bosser. Gonna not try to look at your sweaty thigh. I shouldn't have thought that. Look at his face. HIS FACE."

This is my nightmare, except I'm the boss in the situation.

"Why am I waiving?! Why can't I stop waiving?! Oh God let me stop waiving..."

• Like 2

Goal 1: To lose 90lbs!

15%
15%

Goal 2: Cut 5 minutes out of my 5k time
0%
0%

Goal 3: Complete the Spartan 300 Plank Challenge
16%
16%

Level: 0

Race: Half Orc

Battle Log Current Challenge

Strength (STR) - 0 Dexterity (DEX) - 0 Stamina (STA) - 0 Constitution (CON) - 0 Wisdom (WIS) - 0 Charisma (CHA) - 0

Yup. If we heard thoughts in people's head... we'll know that they're awkward too.

"Shit. you were looking at her chest again. Wasn't supposed to do that. That's bad. Be ashame of yourself, you scumbag sexist pig. But it was like an eye magnet. No she's looking this way. Pretend this didn't happen. Quick!"

"He's crying. HE CRYING!  Holy sh*t. Override! Override! I don't know how to handle this. Should I, like, hug him or somethin'? Oh Crysler, he snot. How does adult male snot! You're being inappropriate. His wife just left. Act like an adult!."

I'm the opposite way. I rehearse everything I have to say in as many different possible situations as I can, because once shit hits the fan I just black out and react. Usually I say moronic things, like saying "I love you" to the cashier after she hands me the receipt, but occasionally it works out in my favor.

• Like 1

I'm the opposite way. I rehearse everything I have to say in as many different possible situations as I can, because once shit hits the fan I just black out and react. Usually I say moronic things, like saying "I love you" to the cashier after she hands me the receipt, but occasionally it works out in my favor.

I once accidentally told a work colleague "I love you" instead of "goodbye" when I was getting off the phone. Her reply was "let's just be friends."

For me the worst small talk happens when I walk into my building at work at the same time as somebody else who I don't really know but see in the hallway a lot. If I see somebody ahead of me going in, I walk slower and try not to make eye contact so they don't hold the door. But if I'm the one at the door first, I sometimes accidentally make eye contact and then there is the split second decision as to whether the person is close enough to hold the door for or not. I almost always hold the door because I don't want to be the jerk who didn't hold the door but then I feel like I have to make small talk too or else it feels weird staring that the person's back (or as they stare at my back) as we climb the stairs. It's weird because as much as I like silence, stairwell silence feels kind of off to me.

• Like 2

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Hi, just found this thread. I am an introvert with a lot social anxieties and phobias. I'm awkward at conversations, some people say I am weird, and I hate crowds. Nice to meet you.  :redface:

Nice meet you too.

Haha yeah I've been told that too. And I'm terrible with crowds, especially if it's people I've grown up with.

• Like 2

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

Hi, just found this thread. I am an introvert with a lot social anxieties and phobias. I'm awkward at conversations, some people say I am weird, and I hate crowds. Nice to meet you.  :redface:

Bienvenidos! We too :)

• Like 1

LilLucia

Level 2 | Wood Elf, Assassin in training

DAI-GURREN BRIGADIER

STR: 4.1 | DEX: 1.37 | STA: 1.37 | CON: 8.55 | WIS: 4.0 | CHA: 1.0

The first rung of the ladder: Challenge #1

Maintaining the ground & my sanity: Challenge #2

“A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.†— Helen Keller

I'm a confused musician/writer/reader/introvert/nerd, in training to be an awesome wife/nurse/tutor/mom.

Hi, just found this thread. I am an introvert with a lot social anxieties and phobias. I'm awkward at conversations, some people say I am weird, and I hate crowds. Nice to meet you.   :redface:

Nice to meet you too! I am an introvert in disguise. I can act super friendly and don't mind being a center of attention, but it's more like a mask. After getting home, I want to curl into a ball and be alone for a long time.

• Like 3

Been awhile since been on Cracked.

I can easily relate to all these, especially asking anyone at the gym for help.

• Like 1

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram