A place to nerd out

Hiya, I'm Sean.  I'm 30 years old and just started my first year of med school. I've been lifting for about two years, and trying different diets for about 4 years.

From about 15 to 25, I lived a terribly unhealthy lifestyle. I smoke cigarettes, drank too much, and ate crap. I never gained weight thanks to age and genetics, but I was depressed and lethargic all the time. Fast forward to 25, and I decided to quit smoking. In order to do so, I also quit drinking and took up exercise. At that point, not drinking and exercise were totally supplementary to quitting smoking. A crazy thing happened.  I felt awesome. Both mentally and physically. I realized that what I ate and what I did had a very direct effect on how I felt. Since then I've varied through diets (vegetarian, vegan, raw vegan (that lasted 3 days and I felt like I was dying). I landed on paleo about 3 years ago. I've continued to experiment with diet through the years, and while I'm not pure paleo these days, I do feel like it is the best "starter" diet for people attempting to clean up their eating habits. My exercise habits have also been through a transition, starting with P90X (which I hated) and finally settling on a Starting Strength type model that emphasizes big lifts, but also has some aesthetic components.

My interest in nutrition and exercise led me to medicine, so I went back to school a few years ago for premed classes. I geek out a bit on the sciencey stuff, so I thought I would direct it towards medicine. I just started up at an MD program in the midwest.

I'm here because I love to experiment, and I love people who want to make their lives better. I just want a place to talk this stuff.

Long live the Rebellion!  

• Like 2

Welcome!!!!

•      Awful                                                          Not so good                                                                          Getting better                                                        Super Stud                                       He-Man                                  Artie Strongest                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              man.... In The World
  • 61%
    61%
  • Valerius the level 2 Human

STR 3|DEX 3|CON 2|STA 3|WIS 2|CHA 2

Current challenge

•  
  • " If you think you can do a thing or you can't do a thing, you're right."
  • - Henry Ford