The Downsides of Fitness

It seems like the more I work on my muscle the flabbier and jigglier the fat still over the muscle becomes. I don't know if it's just my perception, but it seems like the fat is more obvious with some muscle tone underneath it.

That would make sense to be if you're bulking while working out. You'll get more muscle, and thereby more definition, while at the same time putting on more fat, which would lead to a little more jiggliness...

I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

To keep with thread... being sick makes you feel doubly bad... once because you're sick... and twice because it's a workout day.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

That would make sense to be if you're bulking while working out. You'll get more muscle, and thereby more definition, while at the same time putting on more fat, which would lead to a little more jiggliness...

I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.

I would agree with you, and you make complete sense - but I'm eating at maintenance (workout days) or below (rest days). My tracking could be off, but my weight has been consistently steady over 2 months. I guess the downside is that I get whiny when my body doesn't respond the way I want it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New problem: forearms. I haven't been climbing much, but my North Face jacket is so snug around my "arm calves" that I can only wear a really fitted long sleeve shirt under it. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

You just made me think. ... I've spent three weeks in a cast in Dec and I've been in a splint since nye on my left wrist. ... they can't get an awesome fit of it because my forearms are large compared to my wrist. ... although my physical therapist is super impressed with my forearm strength

• Like 3

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Increasing your squat weight and really pushing it, then getting to work the next morning and remembering that you work on the third floor of a building with no elevator :numbness:

Also, I've learned that one of the best teachers of body awareness is that moment where you've pushed your rep count way further than you should have and somehow throw the kettlebell onto your foot :neglected:

• Like 1

It seems like the more I work on my muscle the flabbier and jigglier the fat still over the muscle becomes. I don't know if it's just my perception, but it seems like the fat is more obvious with some muscle tone underneath it.

There's this thing where you add muscles and they need more space and thereby "push" the in-between-fat out of the way, so you actually look fatter...It's a thing for people who think getting a six-pack involves a lot of crunches. ;)

I would agree with you, and you make complete sense - but I'm eating at maintenance (workout days) or below (rest days). My tracking could be off, but my weight has been consistently steady over 2 months. I guess the downside is that I get whiny when my body doesn't respond the way I want it to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the jiggliness/squishy fat that comes with weight loss. It sounds like yours could be the same thing.

For me, right now, the downside of fitness is being so aware of how my monthly hormonal cycles affect my moods even when I'm doing everything else right (food, exercise, etc..) It seems counterintuitive. I mean, I should be happy to know how it's all working and all, right? But it almost makes me more resentful about the whole thing.

• Like 2

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Increasing your squat weight and really pushing it, then getting to work the next morning and remembering that you work on the third floor of a building with no elevator :numbness:

Oh yeah... I definitely had to scoot up the stairs backwards on my butt a few times in my last office building... Awkward.

• Like 2

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

I had to give out a >100€ today because I unexpectedly shrank down to a EU size 36 (US size 6) and I looked like a homeless person/starving artist rather than formal in my suit. 

Also, squishy fat. It just feels so weeeirrrd…

• Like 3

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

I had to give out a >100€ today because I unexpectedly shrank down to a EU size 36 (US size 6) and I looked like a homeless person/starving artist rather than formal in my suit. 

Also, squishy fat. It just feels so weeeirrrd…

This is a damn good problem to have.  Just sayin....

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Bowel movements so regular you could set your watch to them.   They don't take into account days when your schedule gets screwed up.   I've had to poop, like right NOW, in some of the most inconvenient places.

• Like 3

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.