The Downsides of Fitness

Mine is less flashy: I had to buy leatherworking tools (a leather hole punch) to modify my belt.  I had run out of holes. 

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Mine is less flashy: I had to buy leatherworking tools (a leather hole punch) to modify my belt.  I had run out of holes. 

I just use a 1/8" drill on one hand and hold the belt in my teeth and the other hand. I pre-punch the hole with a nail and hammer, then drill through the hole form each side a few times to clear the leather.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I just use a 1/8" drill on one hand and hold the belt in my teeth and the other hand. I pre-punch the hole with a nail and hammer, then drill through the hole form each side a few times to clear the leather.

So what sort of jaw exercises do you do?  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

So what sort of jaw exercises do you do?  

1 lb of chicken at lunch every day.

• Like 4

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Well not really a downside of fitness, but maybe a downside of educated fitness...

I cringe everytime I see someone doing free weights with horrible form or using the smith machine. And all those people on the machines are lost souls to me. But I try to keep my mouth shut as much as possible. It is not my place to show them the light if they don't want to...

• Like 1

Often when I lead an Aikido class and guide them through the warm up I overestimate their abilities to go through the exercises, simply because I 've gotten so used to doing them that I have to remind myself that my warm up is a workout in itself for some people.

• Like 1

OtakuBosatsu

Level 1 Lycan. Druid/Monk at heart, training with the Assassins
STR 7|DEX 5.75|STA 4|CON 3|WIS 3.75|CHA 3

My blog, "Zen, Music, and Movement": http://raffyayaladvo.wordpress.com/

I can no longer enjoy certain foods without feeling like I'm going to be sick.

Also, I need new sneakers constantly. So have to buy cheap sneakers a lot. Sitting and crying finding out that those cheap sneakers have that annoying cardboard velvet like soles (because of idiot country decided to have a tariff on rubber). So going on ebay and looking for another pair.

Same applies to clothes (especially jeans and sweats). Can't buy any of the (rockabilly) dresses I want without worrying they will be too bigger very quickly. The awkward stage of inbetween sizes. Needing new bra constantly. So end up using clean sport bra as your bra. I'm not paying those prices.

Being told that cracking all of your bones is annoying.

• Like 2

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I can no longer enjoy certain foods without feeling like I'm going to be sick.

Also, I need new sneakers constantly. So have to buy cheap sneakers a lot. Sitting and crying finding out that those cheap sneakers have that annoying cardboard velvet like soles (because of idiot country decided to have a tariff on rubber). So going on ebay and looking for another pair.

Same applies to clothes (especially jeans and sweats). Can't buy any of the (rockabilly) dresses I want without worrying they will be too bigger very quickly. The awkward stage of inbetween sizes. Needing new bra constantly. So end up using clean sport bra as your bra. I'm not paying those prices.

Being told that cracking all of your bones is annoying.

That. Now chocolate cakes and donuts are (psychologically) dead to me.

However a cheesecake isn't.

I have some work to do.

• Like 1

Going for the yearly medical for work, nurse measures height and weight 97kg, 178cm all good. He tells me to let go, measures my waistline 97cm. Looks at me annoyed, I told you to let it hang. 5min of arguing and several measurements later it is still 97cm.

On the upside when they sent me on to the dokter for bloodpressure and discussing results, I was pleasantly surprised to for the first time ever have a dokter be supportive of lifting heavy. Most dokters don't react well when you tell em you deadlift 200kg :D

Bastard also found it hilarious when I told him the nurse gave me flak about the waist measurement...

• Like 3

On the upside when they sent me on to the dokter for bloodpressure and discussing results, I was pleasantly surprised to for the first time ever have a dokter be supportive of lifting heavy. Most dokters don't react well when you tell em you deadlift 200kg :D

Bastard also found it hilarious when I told him the nurse gave me flak about the waist measurement...

This is great!  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Went to get my flu shot....

Sweet little old lady nurse says "honey you got to stop flexing your shoulder or this is gonna hurt like hell"

Me "ummm I'm not flexing but I could if you want me to"

Her "you've got more muscle? " ( voice of disbelief here)

Me flexes shoulder
Her grabs shoulder

Shocked nurse "I guess you're just gonna have to do the best you can miss hulk you got more muscles than most of the men I've shot this morning!"

(Which only slightly makes me sad. ... but my shoulders are becoming AWESOME! )

• Like 9

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

A doctor disbelieved that I had healthy level of blood sugar and pressure just because I weighed so much compared to my height. He assumed I was obese MUSCLES.

• Like 1

Do you mean you prefer not to get a flu shot? (Not debating just making sure I understand your humor :) )

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Never seen the use of flu shots, the flu fails to make me miserable for more than 1 day. Last year I didn't even notice untill I got dizzy after lifting.

I found another problem with being fit to. I'm gonna need my service dress for a parade in 2 weeks, however they fitted it on me at 78kg and 20% bodyfat. Right now I'm at 97kg and 16% bodyfat xD

• Like 2

Correct

that's cool :)

I have respiratory issues and work in an ICU... and the last two times that I didn't get flu shot for whatever reason I caught flu which then devolved into pneumonia which lead me to the hospital... so I don't miss it

Spoiler

If you are a healthy individual the flu shot is not for you. It is for those around you. The elderly, the immunocompromised, and children are all very susceptible to the flu. I personally do not encounter these people in my daily, and work life, so I don't bother with the flu shot. But if you work, or have these kind of people in your life, be a responsible member of society, and go get a flu shot. Not for yourself, but for others. 

• Like 1

Currently lost in Fitness.

Yeah, not a fan of the flu shot. Only tried it once and it was the only year I got sick. Eh, not for me.

Back on topic.

Caution - gross if weak stomached. I suppose.

Having to go to the bathroom for #2 all the time. Been bulking for a few weeks, and I'm going to the restroom for waste disposal 3-5 times a day. It's insane!!

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

Sorry for the crassness of that. You are allowed your feelings on vaccines, but to insinuate that I am sponsored by a evil conglomerate hits home. 

I work for an Environmental Non-Profit fighting against climate change and energy waste. I got into this industry right out of school, and being in non-profit I have sacrificed probably about half of my earning potential to try and make positive change in the world. It's rather offensive to be called a shill when as a person I have given up so much to try and change the world. 

• Like 3

If you are a healthy individual the flu shot is not for you. It is for those around you. 

kinda like most vaccines yeh? i am not a scientist, but i heard the reason why you have to reup the flu shot every year is because it keeps evolving or something. so saying "the year i got sick" vs "the year i didnt get sick" is disingenuous, as the virus keeps mutating. 

a naturally occurring virus that just may make me sick for a day

or the virus that kills "from 3,349 in 1986--87 to 48,614 in 2003--04". that's nearly 50 000 people in a year in the US alone. not trying to jump down your throat here but influenza doesnt fuck around. it's very different from catching a cold.

source: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5933a1.htm

• Like 1

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

The vaccine is essentially a weakened version of the mutations they guess will be out there in the year. So not really a guarantee. I personally think it can be useful to those who need it. Never needed it, so I don't get it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Pinterest: Alex's Paleo Wins - Recipes on Pinterest              Instagram: alexcold23             MFP: dalex916

kinda like most vaccines yeh? i am not a scientist, but i heard the reason why you have to reup the flu shot every year is because it keeps evolving or something. so saying "the year i got sick" vs "the year i didnt get sick" is disingenuous, as the virus keeps mutating. 

or the virus that kills "from 3,349 in 1986--87 to 48,614 in 2003--04". that's nearly 50 000 people in a year in the US alone. not trying to jump down your throat here but influenza doesnt fuck around. it's very different from catching a cold.

source: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5933a1.

You got it. The influenza is a group of virulent strains.  Or a whole bunch of virus types. One way that my good buddy who studies desies trends talks about how many there are is bring back the old Swine flu from a couple years ago. People new it as Swine flu, or H1N1, that classification has 2 letters and 2 numbers, you can have 54,000+ various naming protocols, and they are needed. The flu shot is based on which flu epidimiologists beleive will make the most impact on the area. Quite a bit of hard math involved in these trends.

__

But back to topics at hand.

I just donated my last 3 suits... I have no suits any more. Too big to get taken in. 

Sad sad day for a suited hippy. 

• Like 1