Dark Tower Series

I started reading the series, but between life, family, work, and school, it's been a while.  I need to start it again...

Race: Human / Level: 1 / Current Class: Adventurer / Goal Class: Ranger

STR: 2.5 / DEX: 2 / STA: 3.5 / CON: 3.5 / WIS: 4 / CHA: 4.5

My Background / Facebook / GoodReads / Flickr / Fitbit

~ Take Care, Live Life, and Pray Hard ~

"Our lives are different to anybody else's. That's the exciting thing, that nobody in the universe can do what we're doing."

- Patrick Troughton (Doctor #2)

I have all of them on audio and have listened to the entire series about 5 or 6 times.  It never gets old.  I'm really hoping that they get the movies/tv series made at some point.

It really doesn't get old!! I know there was talk a couple years ago of someone making some of the books into movies then some into mini tv series then finishing off in movies again, but I haven't heard anything since. Makes me sad, but I also know it's one of the things that has to be done just right otherwise it will just be terrible.

Rosiesan

Battle Log | MyFitnessPal | @kari_renae

I just remember the agony of Jake receiving Last Rites before they went into the hotel, and then having to wait for the next book to find out what was going to happen.

And the description of the cold in the Dark Tower has shivered my mind ever since.

• Like 2

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

I just remember the agony of Jake receiving Last Rites before they went into the hotel, and then having to wait for the next book to find out what was going to happen.

And the description of the cold in the Dark Tower has shivered my mind ever since.

That ending was crazy! And I read it before book 7 came out so I had to wait! That was horrible! 

Rosiesan

Great Series! My brother got me into it a few years ago and I devoured the books one right after another.  I had the good fortune to start reading when all the books were out, so I got to read straight through without waiting.

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

Great Series! My brother got me into it a few years ago and I devoured the books one right after another.  I had the good fortune to start reading when all the books were out, so I got to read straight through without waiting.

Nice! Sometimes that's the best! I try to convert everyone I know to at least read Gunslinger which of course hooks them.

I love the DT series - they're by far the books I've gone back to the most. King gets way underestimated as a storyteller.

I'm a pretty big fan of King which is why the series is even more fun to see his other characters and be like "I was wondering what happened to him!"

Rosiesan

I haven't read anything else by King, but yes.  I was also very disappointed by the ending of the DT series.  Without going into any spoilers, I felt like it didn't fit with the rest of the story and the business with the horn seemed to come out of nowhere.

Sky Pirate Monk

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

NF Character

Battle Log

Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit - Vyse the Blue Rogue

I can't be the only one somewhat disappointed with the ending though?

As much as I admire King's storytelling ability, his endings always seem to fall somewhat flat.  This goes beyond DT.

I absolutely loved this series but I do get what you are saying about the ending.  I personally waited YEARS for that ending and then really?

I read that series LIVE and had to reread every time a new book came out.  I read book 1 way back when.  THen when book 2 was out I reread book 1 before I read book 2.  Then I waited for book 3 and then had to re read books 1, 2 before reading 3.  This went on for the entire series.  I can't remember when the long long break was.. between 4 and 5 maybe?   This is my favorite SK story.  Well, Talisman was my first SK read so I am kind of partial to that one too. 

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

As much as I admire King's storytelling ability, his endings always seem to fall somewhat flat.  This goes beyond DT.

Same here. I feel like the series took a major down turn after his big accident, feel like that might have had somehting to do with it. This was supposed to be his epic, but it started falling flat with the later books.

All that said, I started rereading it a few months back and am 10% ofthe way into Wizard, though I haven't read in two months or so as I've been distracted by home life. Started rereading it because I got the graphic novel compilations and I wanted to reread the series before diving into them.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Wizard and Glass is probably my favourite, even though it's a bit more stand alone.

Same, it's the reason I want to read all the prequel comics, his training and past stories have always been more interesting to me than the current quest.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Completely agree. A lot of his books I love, but then the ending feels like he forgot what he was writing or hadn't looked at it in years, but needed to publish it! Little frustrating.

Wizard and Glass is probably my favourite, even though it's a bit more stand alone.

My favorite too! I'm about half way through wastelands (Jake is about to go through the door) and as much as I love this part, I know what's coming next so I want to skip ahead! Must restrain myself!

Same, it's the reason I want to read all the prequel comics, his training and past stories have always been more interesting to me than the current quest.

I really need to get those comics!

Rosiesan

I really need to get those comics!

I ordered the compendium of all 5 story arcs 3 years ago and have never gotten around to them.

500 / 330 / 625

I am (slightly) resurrecting this thread because The Dark Tower is amazing! Wizard and Glass is my favourite too but it is a close run thing with Wolves of the Calla. What did everyone think of The Wind Through the Keyhole? I wasn't so keen. 

I loved the ending though. I thought it was perfect - and:

an excuse to read them on a never ending cycle

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I am (slightly) resurrecting this thread because The Dark Tower is amazing! Wizard and Glass is my favourite too but it is a close run thing with Wolves of the Calla. What did everyone think of The Wind Through the Keyhole? I wasn't so keen. 

I loved the ending though. I thought it was perfect - and:

an excuse to read them on a never ending cycle

I really need to get the wind through the keyhole!

Rosiesan

So I've a LOVE/HATE relationship with Dark Tower ... read the first three years ago and absolutely loved them.

I re-read them when Wizard and Glass came out then read W&G. After which I wanted to go strangle King as he'd gone and done the one thing I dislike in storytelling - he explaining the mysterious hero/villain without moving the current story along plus he took almost 800 pages to do it!

I should give the series another go ... its been a while and I can muscle through books far better now than I used to.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

So I've a LOVE/HATE relationship with Dark Tower ... read the first three years ago and absolutely loved them.

I re-read them when Wizard and Glass came out then read W&G. After which I wanted to go strangle King as he'd gone and done the one thing I dislike in storytelling - he explaining the mysterious hero/villain without moving the current story along plus he took almost 800 pages to do it!

I should give the series another go ... its been a while and I can muscle through books far better now than I used to.

In a way that's why Wizard and Glass is my favorite and why I want to read Through the Keyhole if I understand it correctly. 

Last night, I'm just at the part where he starts his story of his past, I thought "why didn't they just do all of this?", but then I realized that the series is not about his past, but about them and their travels to the Dark Tower. 

Have you read any further than W&G?

Rosiesan

Have you read any further than W&G?

No, I "rage quit" the series so to speak ... just couldn't justify it to myself after how much I disliked W&G. I would've greatly preferred interlacing the past and current story lines rather than just a whole book with Roland's past in it.

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

It's funny, W&G is my favorite because of the past. Liked the characters more. Reading it right now, right where he starts his story as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 / 330 / 625