Hi everyone,

I've been reading the website and forums for the past few days and am getting pretty excited. 

I just turned 46 and I am done with feeling tired and out of shape. I have less energy and stamina than ever before in my life. Last week I was on vacation in Michigan and was climbing the tall dune at Warren Dunes State Park (really beautiful park, by the way). Anyway, I had to stop and rest three times before reaching the top. http://www.stateparks.com/warren_dunes_state_park_in_michigan.html. I felt disappointed and am ready to make some changes.

The stats - I'm 5'10" and weigh about 200 pounds. I'd like to lose ten pounds, gain strength and endurance. Looking forward to the next six week challenge.

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

Being able to participate in activities is a pretty great motivator, isn't it?

This is a great place - everyone's so friendly and welcoming.  How do you think you're going to tackle the start of your journey?  What are your plans for the challenge?

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I'm still trying to figure out how the challenges work. First thought is I'll commit to a basic workout routine. I've started exercise programs in the past and failed because I tried to drastically change everything all at once. I'm open to suggestions - that's why I joined!

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

For the first challenge - START SMALL!!!!

I think of challenges as a 6-week chance to experiment.  Try a workout or dietary change for 6 weeks.  Does it work for you??  Can you stick with it??? What changes would you have to make in lifestyle to make it work long term???  It's only 6 weeks, and then if you don't like the results, you can try something else. 

First thing - decide what is the MOST important change you'd like to see in 6 weeks!!  ONE THING.  How will you measure it???  If it is 10 pounds, that's easy, but it may be too much for 6 weeks.  6 pounds is probably more feasible.

Then ..... how???

Most people have something in their diet that they (we!) know is not good for us and is empty calories.  Soda??  Alcohol??  Desserts???  Lotsa white bread??  What is it?  DECREASE IT.  Don't eliminate it completely because you'll just want it all the more.  But set a reduction plan.  You should see weight loss just by cutting it out.

Then.... the other half of the equation is to workout A LITTLE.  Sounds like you have not been working out much recently.  You'll need to ease into it.  Is there anything that you like to do that will get you moving 20 - 30 minutes per day and elevate your heart rate A LITTLE???  Dance?  Hiking?  Walking??  Biking?  Swimming??? Golf???  At this point, there is no wrong answer so long as it is not too strenuous and you'll do it at least 3 times per week.  Go slow.  Your body is a complex system that needs to acclimate to increased activity.  It's not just the muscles but the joints and tendons that need to get stronger.  Give it time.  Nothing derails getting fit faster than an injury (says the lady who has broken an ankle and messed up a knee). 

And learn to stretch!!  You'll feel better in the long run if you develop the habit of PROPER warmup, workout, stretch and cooldown. 

Really, for a first challenge - that's enough.  Get into it and have some fun!!

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Excellent suggestions - thanks!

I think a six pound goal is attainable. Also, I've started doing some walking each day. I downloaded the Walk to Mordor spreadsheet, b/c I'm a nerd and it totally amused me. So, I'd say a commitment to walking 3 times per week at least 30 minutes each time is a good way to start. 

My diet is not ideal, I'm sure. However, I don't drink alcohol and don't drink soda, so that's something. No white bread either. I'll have to give this part of it some thought. I don't eat a lot of sweets/sugar, but there could be room for improvement there. 

Next question - how do you create a character? 

Aces3000 - Wood Elf