Hello Friends! I've struggled with anxiety since my pre-teens, but wasn't diagnosed until almost a year ago. Caring for myself emotionally and mentally is essential to anyone to keep your mind, healthy. There are those who's source of their anxiety goes beyond psychological influence and comes from biological imbalances. If you believe this is you and not seen a doctor about it, then I highly you make that it top prior to meet with a therapist or psychologist cause the function of your mind results in how you will live your life. Having that said; Health and Fitness is vital in every person's life. So for someone that deals with anxiety or depression, taking care of your physical body will be an even more beneficial to you overcoming your mental battles. To put this all in a nutshell, Simply Love & Care For Yourself. This isn't being narcissistic, it's just you taking responsibility for the body that carries you around and help keep from not functioning before it's time.

Do you struggle with anxiety, or depression? Through health and fitness, how do you care for your mind and body?

wpid-img_37785432854764.jpeg

• Like 3

Golden Hind (Half Woman - Half Deer) :: Level 1 - Adventurer

STR 1 - DEX 1 - STA 3 - CON 1 - WIS 3 - CHA 2 - SPI 2

Battle Entries :: Challenges #1 :: *I'm on Fitocracy.

For me, health, fitness, and performing or doing anything related to acting and/or singing are my keys to fighting depression, though anxiety is still a beast I've yet to figure out. Maybe it is that fitness is helping out with my anxiety as I've experienced less frequent episodes than when I wasn't exercising, but it's not a failsafe and I still deal with anxiety regularly. It's just not as bad as it used to be. Hopefully with this new job I'm getting, and once I move so that my commute isn't disgusting, that will help make things better too. My current job is definitely a panic attack trigger for me, but sometimes I can't always predict when all the symptoms will come crashing down on me.

That said, I'm trying to find alternatives to treating my panic attacks away from medication and my go-to snacks: blackberries w/ dark chocolate morsels (especially when my anxiety attacks wake me up in the middle of the night, ugh), and more often the Neuro Bliss drink. I mean, this isn't the worst treatment, but I'd rather not eat/drink away my attacks if I can and I don't want to go back on medication (which while it did wonders for my depression, did not at all help with the anxiety). So I'm always open to ideas! Again, fitness and eating well is helping, but not all the time, sigh.

• Like 1

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Hey, I've strugged with both of them, depression and anxiety - I still, sometimes.

For me, fitness really helps. Specially long endurance cardio, and I start to see really great improvements when I run/bike for more than an hour. But eating healthy is the huge part of the formula, I think. The problem is that we don't take enough care on what we are putting into our bodies. It's the hardes part to care about.

Level 4

10 WIS | 2 STR | 2 STA | 2 CON | 5 CHA | 1 DEX

battle logepic quest

The Stoic Path of Virtue: #1 | #2 | #3

Current challenge: Don't break the challenge

:love_heart: 

@bikhole24601 - It sounds like you've been able to sort out alot on how to overcome depression in a very healthy way. That's a huge accomplishment! For that you just won to two imaginary, baby kittens as your reward! LOL ;D In all serious though, are you currently seeing a therapist or psychologist that can help you though dealing with those anxiety triggers like work?

@Varelse - Cardio workouts help the brain alot to stay healthy cause it too is a muscle. The endorphins play a huge role, as well! I Love it when my "inner dolphins" jump for joy when I exercise!!! :D HAHAhaha! I do also agree that what we eat is really the main key towards lasting health, but I can't resist when I see ice cream or peanut butter. LOL

• Like 1

I've been diagnosed with panic disorder about 8 years ago. I was just a sophomore in the beginning of high school.

I felt like I was gonna die and would actually walk out of the classroom sometimes for a breather, which usually ended with me grasping for my heart and clinging to the wall like I'd die at any moment. I was so afraid I had become too weak to live and something was seriously wrong with me.

I started confessing a bunch of things to mom during that time to get rid of the extreme guilt I was feeling. And when I started running out of things I felt extremely guilty for, I searched for more.

I was panicking, thinking maybe I have a stroke. I even had bizarre thoughts for explanations of the current state I was in, which I found part of myself scarily believing even though I was screaming at myself how preposterous that was.

My attacks tend to set off from guilt over things I feel like I shouldn't do or during major changes in my life.

Like right now, I'm close to graduating college and will soon be on my own, which is a bit of a freak out for me.

I'm so used to my sheltered life, but I gotta realize this is a big chance for me to shape my life how I want it to be. Moving out of my parents' house can help me make my dreams happen.

But anyway... I don't really get panic attacks. The first time in high school and this recent attack I had were some of the few severe ones I had.

For awhile, I believed that I didn't actually have a panic disorder; just maybe one severe guilt trip that caused me to panic. But then when I forget to take my medication, or drink too much coffee, I can feel some of the anxieties coming back.

I find that the medication really helps me and I've never really tried to go without it. I had been on meds a significant part of my life; I use to be misdiagnosed for ADD and ADHD.

I guess having things stay relatively the same and having someone to reach to sometimes usually keeps my sanity.

• Like 1

<p>Gwenhwyfar, level 0 Wild elf adventurerSTR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

My mom suffered from anxiety attacks most of her adult life. I didn't start with it until a little over a year ago when I got sick with a really nasty chicken pox-like virus. I was sick for 5 weeks, my knees swelled up so I couldn't walk, I had a 102 degree fever for a week and a half, and went to the ER once. I took an 8 day taper course of prednisone for my knees being so swollen, and every time I stepped down the dose I was hit with debilitating anxiety. The illness had made me tachycardic and hypertensive (fast heart rate and high BP, like 130 BPM and 140/90) and then the prednisone sent me in the opposite direction with slow heart rate and low BP, like 50bpm and 90/40 (normal for me is 80bpm and 115/65). Anyway, I started freaking out about my heart, plus I started getting really strong heart palpitations and muscle twitches all over my body. I would literally make my mom (an RN) check my blood pressure several times a day, and I'd be bawling my eyes out thinking I was going to die in my sleep because of the palpitations. I also started getting a weird hot/tense feeling in my left arm and chest pain.

I eventually found out the palpitations are premature ventricular contractions, which are harmless, and the chest pain and weird feeling in my arm were pure stress and anxiety. I started taking lots of magnesium which really helped everything, and a supplement called L-theanine, which really helped the anxiety too. Now I get a palpitation maybe once or twice a month, vs. several a day when it first started, and I only get the weird feeling in my arm when I have a really stressful day at work. Getting diagnosed and finding out that the palpitations were harmless and my heart is perfectly healthy otherwise went a LONG way towards relieving my anxiety about it.

• Like 1

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

Thank you for sharing, Gwenhwyfar! I can totally relate to your current circumstance in wanting to complete college and move into your own place. Your desire to simply be an independent adult continues the grow. I'm right with ya! I've already graduated with my Bachelors more then a year ago, and my job search has been extremely challenging. The positives things I've learned during that time was to become evermore confident in my abilities, and become assertive in my actions. I know that can be overwhelming, but I promise you it isn't impossible to achieve. It really comes down to doing your very best in all that you do, and how much you want to move forward. The power of inner motivation and determination can push back the fears that are in your way. 

I'm glad to hear your now in a good place in managing struggles with anxiety and etc. Medication can actually be a blessing, not to be misused of course, but a huge blessing to those who're helpless to their body's biological unbalances. I take meds for my anxiety and depression, and It has allowed me to live me a happier life. :) I see it as a mighty blessing! Continue to live life week-by-week or day-by-day if needed, and have a strong support from family, friend or a therapist are essential. Never Lose Hope!

I've been diagnosed with panic disorder about 8 years ago. I was just a sophomore in the beginning of high school.

I felt like I was gonna die and would actually walk out of the classroom sometimes for a breather, which usually ended with me grasping for my heart and clinging to the wall like I'd die at any moment. I was so afraid I had become too weak to live and something was seriously wrong with me.

I started confessing a bunch of things to mom during that time to get rid of the extreme guilt I was feeling. And when I started running out of things I felt extremely guilty for, I searched for more.

I was panicking, thinking maybe I have a stroke. I even had bizarre thoughts for explanations of the current state I was in, which I found part of myself scarily believing even though I was screaming at myself how preposterous that was.

My attacks tend to set off from guilt over things I feel like I shouldn't do or during major changes in my life.

Like right now, I'm close to graduating college and will soon be on my own, which is a bit of a freak out for me.

I'm so used to my sheltered life, but I gotta realize this is a big chance for me to shape my life how I want it to be. Moving out of my parents' house can help me make my dreams happen.

But anyway... I don't really get panic attacks. The first time in high school and this recent attack I had were some of the few severe ones I had.

For awhile, I believed that I didn't actually have a panic disorder; just maybe one severe guilt trip that caused me to panic. But then when I forget to take my medication, or drink too much coffee, I can feel some of the anxieties coming back.

I find that the medication really helps me and I've never really tried to go without it. I had been on meds a significant part of my life; I use to be misdiagnosed for ADD and ADHD.

I guess having things stay relatively the same and having someone to reach to sometimes usually keeps my sanity.

Wow, Vian! I happy your going so much better now. What a relief! I too got very sick that lead me to seeking out more answers. So sick that I was bed ridden for almost two weeks. I couldn't eat or sleep, it felt like my entire body was in a state of deep disappear. I lost close to 12 lbs. during that time. It was horrible! This happened September of last year. I was under intense stress and worry about relationships and friendships. I know that was what pushed me over the edge, but I see it as a miracle from God that I now have the greatest therapist M.D. and social worker duo to support me in my emotional battles. It was then that I got officially diagnosed with PMDD, basically PMS on steroids. So since then, I've been on meds for anxiety and depression and I feel I can actually live a normal life, now.

My mom suffered from anxiety attacks most of her adult life. I didn't start with it until a little over a year ago when I got sick with a really nasty chicken pox-like virus. I was sick for 5 weeks, my knees swelled up so I couldn't walk, I had a 102 degree fever for a week and a half, and went to the ER once. I took an 8 day taper course of prednisone for my knees being so swollen, and every time I stepped down the dose I was hit with debilitating anxiety. The illness had made me tachycardic and hypertensive (fast heart rate and high BP, like 130 BPM and 140/90) and then the prednisone sent me in the opposite direction with slow heart rate and low BP, like 50bpm and 90/40 (normal for me is 80bpm and 115/65). Anyway, I started freaking out about my heart, plus I started getting really strong heart palpitations and muscle twitches all over my body. I would literally make my mom (an RN) check my blood pressure several times a day, and I'd be bawling my eyes out thinking I was going to die in my sleep because of the palpitations. I also started getting a weird hot/tense feeling in my left arm and chest pain.

I eventually found out the palpitations are premature ventricular contractions, which are harmless, and the chest pain and weird feeling in my arm were pure stress and anxiety. I started taking lots of magnesium which really helped everything, and a supplement called L-theanine, which really helped the anxiety too. Now I get a palpitation maybe once or twice a month, vs. several a day when it first started, and I only get the weird feeling in my arm when I have a really stressful day at work. Getting diagnosed and finding out that the palpitations were harmless and my heart is perfectly healthy otherwise went a LONG way towards relieving my anxiety about it.

Have any of you encountered struggles in keeping friendships or relationships because of your emotional struggles? I definitely have! Which makes me both angry and sad, cause no one likes to be misunderstood for something they can't quite control. :(

il_340x270.209117957.jpg

• Like 1

@bikhole24601 - It sounds like you've been able to sort out alot on how to overcome depression in a very healthy way. That's a huge accomplishment! For that you just won to two imaginary, baby kittens as your reward! LOL ;D In all serious though, are you currently seeing a therapist or psychologist that can help you though dealing with those anxiety triggers like work?

I used to -- but I don't like talking about my ~feelings~ so I quit going. But I recently found a new job, so hopefully that will help with this big anxiety trigger and I can start figuring out my smaller ones.

Have any of you encountered struggles in keeping friendships or relationships because of your emotional struggles? I definitely have! Which makes me both angry and sad, cause no one likes to be misunderstood for something they can't quite control. :(

Yep, this is an active struggle for me. Luckily, my true friends have all stuck by me even when I've had to flake out on plans because of emotional issues, or when I cut myself off and disappear for a while for those same reasons. They also know that I'm awful at returning messages because of my poor memory ever since I got on the meds (the worst side effect I've had to deal with since weening myself off them, ugh). They're patient and know I always come back around, eventually. It still sucks losing those who don't have the patience or understanding, especially when I was still in denial that I had anything wrong with me, but everything usually works out for the best is what I tell myself.

I say, the best you can do is try to be as open as you can with communicating. Let the people you care about know that hey, this is something I struggle with, I can't really control it, but I'm trying, so please bear with me. Which I know that in itself can be a challenge for a variety of reasons, but if they know, it's at least a step in doing what you can to make sure you don't lose them. Mood disorders are things that unfortunately, most people still don't understand at all.

• Like 1

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

I agree, and I understand that I need to up my emotional boundaries to mind healthy and strong. For example, to not take everything others say, personal. I gets so trying  to constantly filter peoples words, but it safe from a huge amount of stress. Since I'm a very sensitive, caring and affectionate person; it's extremely hard to ignore the people around me. It's like being Jean Grey from X men 2, when she hears people's thoughts to the point it overwhelms her. Yep, that's a good illustration to how it feels; very extrovert feeling.

Yep, this is an active struggle for me. Luckily, my true friends have all stuck by me even when I've had to flake out on plans because of emotional issues, or when I cut myself off and disappear for a while for those same reasons. They also know that I'm awful at returning messages because of my poor memory ever since I got on the meds (the worst side effect I've had to deal with since weening myself off them, ugh). They're patient and know I always come back around, eventually. It still sucks losing those who don't have the patience or understanding, especially when I was still in denial that I had anything wrong with me, but everything usually works out for the best is what I tell myself.

I say, the best you can do is try to be as open as you can with communicating. Let the people you care about know that hey, this is something I struggle with, I can't really control it, but I'm trying, so please bear with me. Which I know that in itself can be a challenge for a variety of reasons, but if they know, it's at least a step in doing what you can to make sure you don't lose them. Mood disorders are things that unfortunately, most people still don't understand at all.

That's exactly what I'm living right now. I think I've lost (or I'm losing) a few friends that I did 6-9 months ago. I've been blaming myself during a couple of months, but now I'm starting to feel more angry because 1) this condition is something I cannot control, and 2) I think we don't deserve punishment. If you don't want to be my friend, OK, but at least be honest with me.

The problem I see is the loss of 'confidency'. Once I've pass through this kind of lost, I personally don't know if I want to have close friends anymore. At least 'normal' friends. Side note: I never had these kind of problems with friends that had passed through a depression, or mental illness, anxiety, whatever. They are much more empathetic.

Level 4

10 WIS | 2 STR | 2 STA | 2 CON | 5 CHA | 1 DEX

battle logepic quest

The Stoic Path of Virtue: #1 | #2 | #3

Current challenge: Don't break the challenge

The problem I see is the loss of 'confidency'. Once I've pass through this kind of lost, I personally don't know if I want to have close friends anymore. At least 'normal' friends. Side note: I never had these kind of problems with friends that had passed through a depression, or mental illness, anxiety, whatever. They are much more empathetic.

I completely understand cause I'm the same way. My closest friends have gone through similar struggles as I.  What makes that not normal though? I know the official definition of "normal" is to be free from mental illness, but in my own opinion...every person has a form of mental illness. Just in how we as humans deal with simple insecurities and imperfections about ourselves. So I actually see myself as very normal person cause everyone person has a hang up of some sort. Regardless if it's in our control or not. So in conclusion, you are normal woman who's doing her best to sort through the complications of life. :) 

Concerning not having close friends anymore, I encourage you not give up. If we were meant to be alone, then the rest of humanity won't be in existence. People need other People. That's what makes us human beings. The quest to make new friends is to continue being open and yourself. The more accepting people will be drawn to you. And the same thing goes in find a future partner. 

I hope this response helped! :love_heart:  

*raises hand*

I have anxiety. I was diagnosed when I landed in the ER in 2006 for what I thought was a heart attack - nope, my very first panic attack. Awesome. 

After the birth of my daughter I had completely debilitating postpartum anxiety and postpartum OCD. I had no idea these things existed, and was sure I was going to end up in a padded room and that I would never be the same again. Until this happened to me I had absolutely no belief in, or respect for, medication for mental disorders. Lexapro quite literally saved my life during this period and this experience changed my view on mental illness completely. 

After that experience, I find it much easier to manage my general anxiety. (Hey, silver lining!). I have medication for the occasional panic attack, but most of the time I can work myself down before I get into full panic mode. I find that I have attacks more when I'm slacking off on things that NEED to be done (bills to pay, falling behind in my business, etc.) so my best course of action to manage my anxiety is to stay on top of life as best I can. Exercise also helps tremendously. Giving zero fucks about what other people think about me (something that came with age/experience) is useful, too. 

• Like 1

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

After that experience, I find it much easier to manage my general anxiety. (Hey, silver lining!). I have medication for the occasional panic attack, but most of the time I can work myself down before I get into full panic mode. I find that I have attacks more when I'm slacking off on things that NEED to be done (bills to pay, falling behind in my business, etc.) so my best course of action to manage my anxiety is to stay on top of life as best I can. Exercise also helps tremendously. Giving zero fucks about what other people think about me (something that came with age/experience) is useful, too. 

Slacking off or being disorganized is the issue I'm current fighting against right now. I've noticed most of my panic attacks occur when I'm fatigued, especially tired from stress or worry. I've been job searching for over a year now after graduating college, and it has taken a deep emotional toll on me. In my core, I have inner hope and joy that keeps be pushing through the long battle of job hunting. So my overall perspective and attitude towards my present circumstances are staying at a health place.  But when weariness and fatigue hit, I don't have the strength to fight against negative thinking. Then I get overwhelmed, and have a paralyzing melt down. Been having quite a number of those this past two weeks. :( 

Slacking off or being disorganized is the issue I'm current fighting against right now. I've noticed most of my panic attacks occur when I'm fatigued, especially tired from stress or worry. I've been job searching for over a year now after graduating college, and it has taken a deep emotional toll on me. In my core, I have inner hope and joy that keeps be pushing through the long battle of job hunting. So my overall perspective and attitude towards my present circumstances are staying at a health place.  But when weariness and fatigue hit, I don't have the strength to fight against negative thinking. Then I get overwhelmed, and have a paralyzing melt down. Been having quite a number of those this past two weeks. :( 

I can definitely see how anxiety would be getting the better of you right now. Are you able to see a therapist? I have a therapist that is very action-oriented (meaning, he helps me figure out the practical things I need to do in order to get my anxiety back in check) and I find that so helpful. If you're not able to do that, could you identify the top three things that are causing you anxiety and ONE step you could take for each to move forward? As you complete each step, identify another step you can take. 

• Like 1

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

I can definitely see how anxiety would be getting the better of you right now. Are you able to see a therapist? I have a therapist that is very action-oriented (meaning, he helps me figure out the practical things I need to do in order to get my anxiety back in check) and I find that so helpful. If you're not able to do that, could you identify the top three things that are causing you anxiety and ONE step you could take for each to move forward? As you complete each step, identify another step you can take. 

<3 I've been seeing a therapist for almost a year now. It's a duo team of a psychologist M.D. and social worker. These ladies have been a huge blessing in my life. I know the Great Creator guided me to them in my darkest hour of need. They've been a great source of support and wise counsel. 

• Like 1

You can't control conditions, but you can control how you manage, handle, and cope with them. External expressions are controlled by everybody, unless something is wired differently that makes it /harder/ to control or you've induced your body in so many chemicals to the point that they take over the brain....

For most of my teen life and young adult years, I dealt with considering labeling my experiences. Almost all of my partners had something or other they were medicating. Of course, I didn't think of it in this type of meta-fashion back then. Instead, I went to my mother when something I didn't understand would happen to my body or mind, she'd take me to doctors, who told me this and that and this and to do this and that and this so that I could be this and that and this because clearly, it was all just that and this, now take this pill.

Humans have experiences, we observe these experiences, then we label these experiences. Eventually, we come around to identifying with them. We become seers of our own life because we know how we are and what we will do, we can even name it because it's who we are!... most of us fake modesty in this, that well, things could always change, who knows? That's why we have experts to tell us! Right? If another person tells you so, it's so.

So, we tend to run around and listen to each other, but only to the point that we want to accept it, then we move on to the next person talking. So many people seem to be on automatic around these parts... to the point that their bodies are breaking down and they can't become strong in who they are meant to be.

During all this processing, we forget to live in the now. Living in a future body, or past mind, or vice versa, is distracting and takes you away from actually participating in existence. 

A lot of it has to do with building confidence and having the strength to stand on your own two feet, no matter what that means.

I have a garden that I love tending (pumpkins and squash are flowering!), a partner that I love (who I get to see every day and I just hope we get all of the time in the world together), a comfortable shelter and access to food, I've lost most of my friends from moving across a number of states and not keeping with social media, but I feel secure and comfortable in that. It isn't for everybody, but I find great peace and joy in solitude... but a specific type of solitude, one of a loving atmosphere with an honest, authentic community.

I've had a lot of success with paradigm work and consciousness rewiring.

That's enough of that. There was just so much discussion, I did a generalized response to everything instead of 'direct quote - response' format. @. @

• Like 1

Haha, page two, wall o' text - sorry~. orz.

I want to make it clear that if people find benefit from psychology and using it as a paradigm, then that is what suits them. The discipline should not be considered an authority on human experience, however. There are plenty other disciplines out there to choose from and some of them suit others better.

It's all about coming to a secureness in life and allowing inner bliss to manifest, however which way you get there. <3

Wow, thanks for sharing NikaNika! I do understand where your coming from, and it's good to hear how you've come to find peace in your own life. :)

In addition to the psychological aspect of anxiety and depression, I've come to learn how much our biological bodies play a huge influence in this battle. I had to come to understand that there are things I can and can't control. Choosing to not allow your circumstances define you is the way to go! I do totally agree! Now let's throw it nutrition, fitness and hormones into the mix. I personally placed my focus on my spiritual growth and psychological needs for over 10 years now. The physical has only been a priority for only 4 yrs. and I still have alot to learn. One thing I did officially found out this past year is the fact that I have PMDD, "Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder". "PMDD, is a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). The symptoms of PMDD are similar to those of PMS but are severe enough to interfere with work, social activities, and relationships. PMDD occurs in 2% to 10% of menstruating women. Women with a personal or family history of depression or postpartum depression are at greater risk for developing PMDD." (If you want to learn more, click the link above) So that really is where I'm coming from in my own struggles. Also, forgiven me if I sound defensive cause I usually see the need to spread awareness on this disorder. It has tremendously helped others understand my situation better. Cause even my own family thought I was simply over-reacting, and wanted me to just snap out of this "downer" I'd be in on a monthly bases. 

I'm always in favor of learning more about our own selves and coming to an understanding of the question 'who am I?'.

It is good to have ways to help others understand our own experiences and perceptions. I don't tend to like categories, but there is purpose to categorization in human interaction.

It can be tough when other people just want (generalized) you to change how you're feeling/expressing because it irritates something in their own feelings/expression. Working through life is a process though. It seems like a lot of people subconsciously understand this, but have troubles when it comes to applying that understanding to their daily interactions and/or perception of society.

Balance between internal awareness and external definitions has been helpful in managing anxiety for me. Oh, and journaling like a beast (private journals! not blogging), and revisiting journal entries and looking them over, but also, consciousness-based work. Music, too - listening to albums in meditation. Many creative arts are beneficial for the mind-body connects. Working with the hands, while utilizing the mind, calms and grounds me. :3

• Like 1