My Battle starts now and I will win the War.

This is it. The start of my epic adventure. Off the sofa, into the world. 

So here is my breakdown.

Height: 5'3"
Weight: 175lbs (as of Tuesday the 22nd of July 2014)

Goal weight: 125lbs

BMI: 31
Diet: Paleo 

Main quest (ongoing): Drop 50lbs to reach my optimal weight for my height. Once reached, maintain that weight.

Sub quests: Dedicated work out 3 times a week.

Be more active, even when not working out.

Up my water intake from 2 bottles a day to 4 (I really hate water) 

Day one: 

I guess this will be my day one. I started on the Paleo diet two weeks ago and lost 7lbs. But I really haven't done anything else. I know that eating healthy is a good start, but what good is it if I am not burning it off. 

I work doing data entry. Which means sitting around on the sofa, entering data. Simple really. I have marathons of my favorite shows on in the background and up until two weeks ago, a bag of candy at my side and a soda. 

Currently I am 5 seasons through Stargate and loving every minute of it. It was this show that sparked me to get up and do something about my sedimentary lifestyle. I have always wanted to cosplay a Guard. You know the ones, big helmet, bad attitude, little outfits. So I decided I would "one day" make a Bastet Guard cosplay. When I was slimmer. Then it hit me. One day would never come if I kept putting it off. So I have started to build the costume and aim to wear it for Fanime in 2015. 

The Paleo diet has been surprisingly easy to adjust to. I love carbs, I do. Give me a donut covered in sugar and I am a happy bunny. But in two weeks I have only really thought about sweets a couple of times. Where I used to crave them daily.

It helps that the whole family are doing it. Making separate meals for everyone would be too much of a headache. 

Today, so far, I have started out light. While my brain is eager to go charging in and attempt to climb a mountain, my body would crumble at the bottom. So I have done things like jog up the stairs rather than amble. Make several trips for things in other rooms. I.e leaving things behind and walking back to get them, so that I walk more. 

I aim to start adding exercises into my daily routine, such as doing a set of an exercise to triggers on shows I watch. Something to keep me enjoying the process. I know me. And I know that I get crazy enthusiastic in the beginning and then get bored. This time I can't let that happen. I have to keep going and keep enjoying it. 

Anyway, time to get going. Get moving and get on the road. 

Half Elf - Ranger/Assassin 

Daily Battle Log: My daily Battles will win my War

Level 13: Fitocracy

Awesome start today! I'll be following to track your progress. Congrats on your success so far with eating Paleo. It sounds like you're on the right track. Of course exercise will lead to a healthier, fitter you, but a healthy diet plays a very significant role in weight loss efforts. 

Also, as an avid water drinker, I could advocate for better hydration all day long. I didn't always hydrate well, but once I started, I felt a huge difference. Do you like unsweetened tea, by chance? Most teas have very little caffeine and herbal teas can be quite tasty. Iced or hot, it's a great way to drink more water. Perhaps a better water filter would make it more palatable for you as well. 

I can't wait to read some of your exercises and what the triggers are in your shows. Best of luck with this first battle! 

-- Vanimal --

Level 2 Hobbit Bounder (Ranger)    

STR 5 / DEX 3 / STA 4 / CON 2 / WIS 3 / CHA 3

Challenges: 1, [2], Battle Log

"I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world

and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Awesome start today! I'll be following to track your progress. Congrats on your success so far with eating Paleo. It sounds like you're on the right track. Of course exercise will lead to a healthier, fitter you, but a healthy diet plays a very significant role in weight loss efforts. 

Also, as an avid water drinker, I could advocate for better hydration all day long. I didn't always hydrate well, but once I started, I felt a huge difference. Do you like unsweetened tea, by chance? Most teas have very little caffeine and herbal teas can be quite tasty. Iced or hot, it's a great way to drink more water. Perhaps a better water filter would make it more palatable for you as well. 

I can't wait to read some of your exercises and what the triggers are in your shows. Best of luck with this first battle! 

I am trying a softer transition with the water. I went straight from soda to bottled water and there was this part of me that was screaming "Uh, its just so... Blegh!" A friend of mine this afternoon suggested coconut water. But as I don't want to get hooked on that either, I am going with half a glass of coconut water, for every bottle of water I drink. So far today I am on 3 bottles of water. That extra bottle feels like a little win for me. 

As for the exercise to the shows, I have worked it out as this so far for Stargate: 

Teal'c raises an eyebrow: 5 crunches

Wormhole swoosh: 5 push ups

Jack cuts off Sam's techno speak: 5 jumping jacks

"Chevron 7 is locked": 5 burpee's

Siler is on screen: 5 raised lifts

When a rank is spoken: 5 reverse crunches

Tok'ra does that eye close thing to switch voices: 5 lunges

Someone says "Stargate": 5 side lunges

It's a work in progress. And as I get fitter, I will raise the number up. And as Stargate has 10 series and some movies to go through, I have a few episodes to keep me occupied. 

These will be in addition to actual workouts. I have always felt a little guilty for just sitting there watching TV. Now it's time to take that guilt and make something pro-active out of it. Also started walking around the yard when I let the dogs out, which makes a change from leaning against the wall and doing nothing. I figured little activity changes would get me moving more. It's all about getting some momentum going. 

• Like 1

Day two: 

Weight: 167.8
Hips: 41.5"
Waist: 36"
Chest: 41.5"

Today was my weekly weigh in day. I lost a lb or two and a few ounces in the past week. 

I decided to start taking measurements to help me gauge the losses a bit more accurately. Another guide has been some of the clothes that were snug before have started to feel a little looser. Which is encouraging. 

Last night I did as intense a work out as I was able, without passing out. I managed an hour, which I really felt was an incredible start. I am aiming to keep working at it until it feels easier and then up the duration and intensity. It shouldn't ever be easy, so whenever I feel it getting lighter, I will have to up my game. 

As each day passes on the Paleo I am thinking less and less of sugar and sweets. Last night for dinner we had Pork loin, cabbage and carrots. Everyone was happy with it. No one has been begging for potatoes, pasta or rice. 

Feeling really good so far. I am still eager to keep going and keep improving. 

Tonight I will switch up my exercises and keep the momentum of activity. I don't want to burn out by over doing it. But I also know that if I take a day off already, I will probably not start up again. I have to keep trekking. My nemesis of Body Fat, won't stop trying to beat me, so I can't stop the battle for a day and give it a foothold. 

The fight rages on and I am as determined as ever to win. 

• Like 1

Day 2 continued: 

So I decided to be brave and post my before, during and after pics. It is really terrifying to do this. Anyone who knows me, knows that I really, really hate having my picture taken, let alone putting it up anywhere. And especially not ones where my chubbiness is out there for the world to see. 

But I figured I need to be brave. I need to push myself. And one of the best ways to keep driving me forward is to have those pictures where I can see them and make me want to be better in them. So here goes:

My before, during and after progress. 

Day 3: Beginning

Started the day off by rolling out of bed as my legs seemed to have turned to lead. 

For the past couple of nights I have done a mix of cardio and strength exercises. Im not a morning person. YET. I can't see me being one of those 4am joggers, looking perky and fabulous before the ass crack of dawn. At night I am definitely more awake, motivated and while still not perky, I am definitely more of a people person. 

After I realized my legs hated me this morning I decided to give them a little stretch and a treat... A soak in some warm water. And they are now my best friends again. It was actually nice to feel an ache in my muscles. It was telling me "Hey! You did something!" Rather than feeling creaks in my joints from inactivity. 

Breakfast today is a ripe peach, and a can of C2O Coconut water. While not plain old water, its still not bad. Its one of the only coconut waters that I have found which is just that. No preservatives. No added sugars or flavors. And its really tasty. Works out at about 100 calories for a 520ml can, 13g of carbs and 12g of sugar. I will have half now, and half when I force myself to drink 3 bottles of regular water... blegh.

Time to get on with the day. My goal is to go get a gym membership this evening. I need somewhere outside of my house, which is always full of people, to just get away and focus. Hard to get into a routine when you are being summoned for Mom, Wife, Daughter-in-Law duty every five minutes. 

Hope everyone's day is successful, in whatever goals you are setting. 

• Like 1

Day 3 continued: 

For the first time since the diet began, I haven't really wanted to snack during the day. Usually I would grab something to eat whenever I felt the munchies start to rear up. And it was always bad things like cake, chips, candy. 

When I started the diet I made a conscious effort not to snack for the sake of snacking. Instead eat something healthy like some fruit or nuts when I was actually hungry or feeling the energy wain. And even then, only enough until I was satisfied, rather than stuffed full. 

Today I had my breakfast of fruit and water, I kept up my water intake through the day and didn't feel hungry until dinner time. We had zucchini noodles, fresh ground turkey and home made pasta sauce (Tomato puree, water, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper and onion.) Again, I haven't been eating until I am stuffed, just until I am satisfied. Instead of a heaped dinner plate size portion, it was nearer a level tea plate size. Probably around a 3rd of what I would usually eat. 

The healthy eating part has been made easier by the fact that the food tastes good. It's not cardboard rice cakes or stuff like that. It's just wholesome meals that don't have anything in them that we can't pronounce. 

I don't feel as weighed down when I have finished eating. I'm not ready to lay down and take a nap, rather I feel like I have fulfilled my needs and I'm ready to get going. The whole family have really embraced the diet change. Even my teenage son, who when we first mentioned going Paleo to him, he looked like he was about to cry. We explained no dairy, grains, carbs and such. All of his favorite things. He really did seem devastated. 

The first meal we had was steak and carrots. He loved it. And since then he has followed along with great enthusiasm. He is excited to come down from his cave of gaming to eat with us. Where as before, he would grab a plate of mac n cheese then bolt back to his room. 

The biggest sign of his enthusiasm was that his grandmother tried sneaking him some Hawaiian bread rolls (as she is a firm believer that fat is fabulous. She eats 24/7) he took them from her to make her happy. But when she wasn't looking he deposited them into the garbage can and whispered "I am sticking to my healthy life. Not going to crack now." 

I was so proud of him. 

He isn't overweight like his parents. He is very lean and an active runner. Since eating Paleo he has found that he has a lot more energy for the things he loves. So it really has been beneficial for all of us. The more benefits we are finding, the more we keep going. 

The only downside is how much extra it costs to eat. Which drives me insane. Processed, over chemical filled foods are a 3rd of what it costs to but something raw and natural like meats and veggies. You would think that something which doesn't need as much processing as say a pack of mac n cheese, would cost less. But nope. Our grocery bill has shot up. Just for getting fresh foods. Its insane. 

Anyways, off to do something productive with my evening. I really hope all of you are having a successful time with your endeavors! 

• Like 1

Day 3... some more: 

Just a small update. I set a goal of getting a gym membership today and I did it. So, as someone who hates wasting money, I will be doing all I can to make the most out of this. My wife also got one, so we can go together for moral support. 

Tomorrow we go for our first time. We aren't going to kid ourselves by planning some epic two hour marathon. But we are going to push ourselves, see what our limit is this time out and then make strides to up that limit. 

This is the first time that we have ever gotten gym memberships. I guess this was a marker to us both that we are serious about this. Oddly enough, we ran into a friend of ours who showed up at the same time as us to also sign up, total coincidence. We took it as a sign that all factors of our lives are working harder. 

• Like 1

Day 4: 

I didn't do a workout last night as we got home so late from running errands, if I didn't go to bed then, I would end up with no sleep at all. I did do some stretching before I got into bed, to at least work out the kinks. 

I will be going to the gym tonight. Looking forward to it. I aim on finding out what my limits are and starting to build from there. I need to increase my stamina and begin to get some strength back in my muscles. Right now, my arms are noodles. 

I have no intention of being a body builder or a marathon runner. I am aiming for better flexibility in my joints, to be able to make it up a hill without dying after 3 steps and to be able to lift more than a plushie without groaning. 

My goals will start small so I have a chance of reaching them, feeling accomplished and then setting bigger, but still attainable goals. As a gamer, I love it when I get a little "You have earned an achievement" at the top of my screen. It makes me feel special. I need to make goals that get me achieving. 

I know this will be a long road and anything worth having it worth working hard for. I really am motivated to do this. More than ever before. 

• Like 1

Day 5 - Woke up like a stone gollum.

Slept like a bear last night. It was amazing. I was so tired that I didn't toss and turn, or wake up randomly. 

This morning I woke up and my legs felt like lead. But I wasn't going to let that deter me. I stretched a little and felt the tension ease. So I grabbed my fruit and water, had some nutrients and then started a light peddling on my Monster-In-Laws rehab peddles. You know, one of those little A frame things with just peddles on it. Within about ten minutes all the tension in my legs was gone and if anything they felt really good for it. 

My wife decided to weigh herself this morning. I should point out that she is .. uh... a bit heavier than I am. By a fair margin. Since she cut out dairy, carbs and grains, she has lost 22lbs in 3 weeks. She was worried about such a massive loss in a short period, but her Doctor told her that it was perfectly normal for people with a substantial amount of body fat to lose a lot in the beginning and then begin to slow down. As her body was surviving on carbs and sugar for years and now its adjusting to being without it. 

I am so proud of her! She has taken to the diet really well and tried her hardest last night at the gym. She was almost in tears when she saw the scales this morning and another chunk of weight was gone. I just hope that when she does start to plateau and the numbers start to slow down, that she won't lose heart. But for the moment I am just happy that she is sticking to eating healthy and moving more. 

We are heading to the gym again this morning for a light work out. Our son is coming again too. Which is amazing because leaving his room is a chore for him. So to voluntarily want to go work out is brilliant. 

We are all feeling really positive at the moment. We have all tried different things in the past to get healthy and none of them really stuck. But this time around, almost 3 weeks in, we are all still dedicated. I think this is the longest we have ever stuck to a routine. I have read that it takes 6 weeks for something to really become a routine. So three more weeks to go on the diet and 6 weeks to get the gym down. 

No signs of slowing! 

• Like 2

Day 5... again: 

Did another hour at the gym. Today I chose to do 20 minutes on the treadmill at a very brisk walk. Still not up to jogging yet, as I have ankle problems. BUT... Instead of using that as an excuse not to do anything with impact, I am going through ankle and shin strengthening exercises to try and eliminate the problems. Instead of letting old injuries continue to give me reasons to lay around I am using them as other goals to overcome. 

After my 20 minutes of brisk walking to warm up, I moved on to the weight machines. I started out light. Found that with my legs, I can do three reps of ten at 70lbs on any of the machines. With my noodle arms, I was able to do three reps of ten at 50lbs on any of the machines. I did three machines a piece for legs and arms. So now I know my bench mark limits. I'll stick with those until it feels easier and then add another round of reps, then move up the weight. 

My wife and I went to Outback for lunch afterwards. As it is pay day and both of us were craving some protein. But instead of having the blooming onion, bread, soda, desert, baked potatoes and such. We skipped the bread, salad dressings, sodas and stuck with plain grilled salmon and steamed veggies. Our bill was certainly a lot cheaper than usual. Which is another plus. 

Usually we come out of there feeling sluggish and weighed down. With a powerful urge to take a nap. That wasn't the case this time. While we won't be heading there for dinner every night, as we are really enjoying cooking at home, it is nice to know that if we do want to eat out there is somewhere that we can get food without too much hassle. They were really accommodating too. We said no bread and the waitress asked if we had an allergy. We explained we were both on the Paleo diet and she seemed interested in it and made sure that our food was cooked with olive oil rather than vegetable oils. She got a nice tip for that. 

Anyways, time to get some work done. Feeling really accomplished today. 

As I write this, the wife has just run in skipping with excitement as she just fit into a pair of jeans she owned that have been too small to wear in nearly two years. I can finally wear my Doctor Who shirt that I ordered a year ago but was too tight. So wins all around. 

Wow, you and your family have made some truly astounding progress. It's great that your family is on board with the diet changes. You've probably helped add several years to your son's potential lifespan by encouraging better eating habits at home. The problem with cost is hard to surmount. Fresh produce might not be that cheap depending on where you live. Places lucky enough to have farmer's markets might get by well, but buying enough REAL food to feed a family is hard. So is paying for a gym membership! But you're doing great so far. Even if you have to cut back somewhere, I hope you and your family find a way to make the changes last.

Just as a note, it sounds like you're really driving yourself with your workouts, which is great! I totally believe in testing yourself each day. There's something empowering about proving yourself to be stronger than you thought you were the day before.

On the other hand, please take care of yourself! Remember this is about health and fitness and not numbers. Stretch! Warmup before each workout and stretch afterward. It will reduce the soreness you feel in the morning and the next day. Stretch throughout the next day and again before you workout again. (But remember that cold muscles don't stretch well. A few easy jumping jacks to get the blood flowing and muscles limber will go a long way).

Nothing is more discouraging than an injury. If you know you have week ankles, stay on those extra exercises! I had very bad stress fractures for awhile and they were awful. Make sure you do those strengthening exercises every day in the morning/before you exercise. Your body is one of the best resources you have so be sure to take care of it in every way.

Again, congrats to you and your wife. Your whole family is doing awesome!!!

-- Vanimal --

Thank you :)

Yeah I had a bad fall a few years ago and it really messed up my ankle. It's always been weak since then. I used to just shrug it off and say "well, I can't do that. Bad ankle." I used it as an excuse to just keep putting things off.

I also had pneumonia twice when I was a kid and it did some damage to my lungs. Kept using that as an excuse too. But I've done a lot of reading lately and I realized that the body is good at healing itself as long as you take care of it, learn your limits and give it good things.

I used to think pain killers were the way to go. But they made me sicker. I've noticed that since I started eating better, my aches have all but gone away.

I'm not ready to start leaping tall buildings in a single bound but I am finally taking control of myself, rather than letting things that I shouldn't have let get the best of me, win.

I have been pushing myself the past week and have hit limits on things, but what has surprised me is that I do have more strength and stamina than I thought I did. It has been an eye opener.

I am very conscious of my legs over all. As I also tore a calf muscle about six years ago. I never, ever, ever want to go through that again. I did it, by getting out of bed and not stretching. Aside from feeling real embarrassed that I did so much damage from getting up, I felt like a weakling. Since then I have always been really careful about stretching, making sure my muscles (what there is) are awake before I am.

Day 6: 

No gym today. I did some stretching and a bit of a walk to keep me moving to make up for it. I was planning on going, but my son requested that I spent some time with him. How can I say no to that. Apparently chatting side by side on treadmills doesn't cut it. 

We spent the day playing Rock Band. But we definitely put a bit more oomph into our moving around than usual. I would ordinarily sit on the sofa with the guitar. This time we went full on rock out. I think the neighbors thought we were insane, as all you could see through the window was the two of us bouncing off of sofa's, thrashing about and generally acting like 80's hair metal bands. I feel totally exhausted. But it was a great day, he seemed to have a great time, and thats all that matters. 

Had to run out and get the groceries for the week this morning. I walked almost fast enough to be jogging, without looking like I was on the Amazing Race. Slowly but surely we are working out what foods we like and don't, so its making the shop a little cheaper and more effective in keeping us happy with the food. Surprisingly we are all loving Kale. That tasteless little veggie is fast becoming one of those things that we aren't happy if it's not in the meal somewhere. Kale Chips being the preferred way of serving it. 

Won't be able to make it to the gym tomorrow as their opening hours don't fit with the other plans we have for the day. Got a lot to do. But I will make sure that while walking around and stuff, I will keep a good pace. No ambling if I can help it. 

Hope everyone is having successful time with their goals! 

Day 7: 

The Universe decided to slap me in the face today. Well last night too. 

I was getting ready to go to bed and had this sudden bout of nausea. I mean it came out of nowhere. One second I am cheerily playing with the dog and the next I am head over the bowl of the toilet. It was wretched. 

Luckily for me I live with very caring people who stood at the door and asked if I was ok. Couldn't really answer them, but it was nice they were there for moral support. If not a little unsettling to have them rating each wretch on a scale of 1 to drunken frat house party goer. 

This morning I woke up and my face feels like I got hit with a brick. My nose is stuffed, my throat is sore (I think that was from last night) and my head hurts. Pretty sure its a sinus infection. Though no idea where the puking came from. Luckily I have some antibiotics floating around so I can take those and kick this things butt pretty quick. 

I knew there would be stumbling blocks, no journey to anything is ever smooth. I was just hoping that it would be something that I had done, so could say "Right, you have learned your lesson, don't do it again." Not "Great, you are a bag of sick and snot, and look like Lady Stoneheart right now." I can't really do anything about that but let it run its course and help it out where I can with some menthol and rest. 

Whats bothering me is that when I would get a cold or something in the past, I would be loving the resting part. I would revel in it. Right down to enhancing the sickly voice and waving a frail arm around for someone to bring me soup. Now, even after a week, I feel restless and need to be moving. That's never happened before. I think it is a collaboration between finally eating healthy so I have some natural energy, and really loving working out and being motivated. 

Unfortunately I can't argue with my body on this one. I don't want to do more damage to myself or make this last any longer. So I have been ordered by my wife to take it easy for the day. Let a days worth of antibiotics kick in, fluids (Blegh, water) and some rest. My body hasn't been this active in a long time, so a day of nothing is going to be good for me, supposedly. I'll do what I can. But I don't want to just be laying here like a potato. Because potatoes aren't allowed in our life now. Instead of calling for someone to get me something I will drag my ass up to get it myself.

Luckily, I tend to get over this sort of thing really quick, so I shouldn't have my momentum slowed for too long. 

Just one more thing to kick ass on. Bring it on Universe. I can take whatever you have to throw at me! 

Day 7 continued: 

I managed to rest for a couple of hours. Then my wife went to work and I got up and started to just walk around the house because she wasn't there to tell me to lay down. It was totally aimless but I was moving. 

My face still hurts but my body doesn't feel like it has been hit by a truck anymore. Usually when I get a cold or something similar, I feel stiff all over and generally run down. But I decided to try and get the circulation moving. And it really did help. I didn't try and work out or anything crazy like that. That would be stupid. But the slow ambling around made me feel less sluggish and more in control. 

I was even able to cook dinner for everyone. Much to their shock. Generally the drill is, when I'm sick... Take-Out is the meal of choice. I think they were a bit disappointed that they couldn't sneak in a McDonalds. Instead they got all meat sausages with onions, egg plant chips and peas. Which they were happy with. 

Tonight I'm going to get back in position on the sofa where my wife left me, before she gets home. Stick a hot compress over my face and pretend like I have been lazy all day. She'll never know. I'll tell her aliens made her dinner. 

Today has been a bit of a revelation. Instead of laying here like a vegetable and feeling sorry for myself, I feel like I am actually fighting the sickness. The nausea is nothing but an ache and my face definitely feels better after getting up and moving. Still feels like something hit it. More like a tennis ball hit it now rather than a baseball. 

Day 8. Escort Quest... 

So far today hasn't started out as planned. I woke up to a warm feeling on my feet. Only to realize one of my dogs was dreaming that he was outside peeing... But wasn't. Then the sprint started.

Got out of bed faster than I ever thought possible (Even though my face still feels like hell) grabbed him, despite him being shocked at the rude awakening. Hefted him out to the back yard to finish his experience in the real world. Had to then wake up the wife (Which is a challenge in itself.) Strip the bed, throw everything in the washer (Thank god for mattress covers) run outside to grab the dog who had found a hole in the fence and was half way through it to freedom. Run to him, pull his wiggling butt back through. Toss him in the bath. Then the wrestling match began. He knew what was coming and he hates the bath as much as cats do. So we dueled for 20 minutes while I scrubbed him down. I won. 

By the end of it, I felt like I had done a workout at the gym. 

Haven't even started the rest of the day. But if the beginning is anything to go by, I'll be pretty active today. First off, fix the hole in the fence. I really don't feel like chasing either of the dogs around the neighborhood for a few hours. 

Last time one of them got out, he did a sprint around two blocks in a weaving loop for over an hour in a thunderstorm. That was the last time I ran anywhere. I'm not fit enough to tackle that one again for a while. 

Anyways, lets hope the day gets a little less... Damp. 

Day 8: Damp again...

This time it has nothing to do with the dog and everything to do with working out.

By this afternoon my face felt a hell of a lot better. By the time my wife got home at midnight I felt totally fine. It's awesome!

We decided to go to the gym and do a light walk on the treadmills. But when I got there the bikes seemed to be calling.

For the past week, the machine has told me that I need to reach a heart rate of 149 for a good cardio workout. And it's been pretty easy to get there. I only need to look at the thing and my heart rate sky rockets.

Tonight though I was doing a pretty heavy pace of 90rpm (Its heavy for me) and I was hovering around 140 for my heart rate. the machine kept pushing the resistance up to try and increase the rate but I kept matching it. It didn't really feel that hard. I was sweating like crazy but I didn't feel any strain.

I'm taking that as a good sign?

Day 9 - Weigh in and measurements day.

It's a bit of a positive negative day today. I gained 5oz from last week. Which bummed me out a bit. However I did take my measurements again. So here goes. With last weeks for comparison. 

Last week:
Weight: 167.8 lbs

Hips: 41.5"
Waist: 36"
Chest: 41.5"

This week:
Weight: 168.3 lbs
Hips: 41" 
Waist: 34"
Chest: 41" 

I have lost some inches all around. I forgot to add my Thighs in last weeks measurements. They were 24" this week they are 22". I'm happy I have lost inches. And I'm not too devastated that I gained 5 oz. I am factoring in that this is my first week of working out which is going to affect things. Hopefully as I figure out what works for me and what doesn't, then I will start shedding weight again. I am focusing on cardio at the moment to try and boost my stamina. Last night's work out has opened my eyes a bit as to what my limits are. And made me confident that whatever they are, they can be beaten. 

So even though I gained a couple of ounces, I feel like I accomplished something in the past week. And I am raring to keep going. 

Day 10: 

Hit the gym again last night. I was feeling restless and figured I would get some of that out on the treadmill. I walked a mile and a half in 30 minutes at a 7.0 incline. Walking up that hill definitely put a strain in the back of my legs but it wasn't anything that felt uncomfortable. I had to keep that incline up as even with the speed I was walking, again I couldn't get my heart rate up to the level the Cardio workout wanted. And honestly I did feel very relaxed. 

I actually started to feel like I wanted to start jogging. Which is a first. Usually the idea of moving faster than stopped brings me out in a cold sweat. But the more time I spend on the treadmill, the more I want to move. 

After I got off the treadmill I went onto do some weights. I didn't want to go too crazy so I did enough where there was resistance, but my body was constantly stretching and flexing. By the time I was done I felt totally invigorated. That lasted until I got home, and then I collapsed in bed into a totally relaxed sleep. 

I didn't wake up sore this morning, which is great. I did ten push ups before going anywhere. Which helped to warm me up a little. 

All in all I feel good. I'm not all upset that I don't have flat abs within a week. I have seen some people that get frustrated that they don't walk out of the gym the first time as a muscle god. I'm realizing that the end result is the bonus. I'm just really enjoying the journey to get there. However long it takes. 

Day 10 ... Again. 

No gym today. We are going shooting at the range tomorrow, so the family agreed that today would be our off day and then after the range we will go let off some adrenalin at the gym. 

I actually feel kinda bad not going today. That restless feeling has been there all day. Like I really want to lift something. It's really weird. I never thought I would be so eager to exercise. 

But anyway. It has been a slow day. With not much going on. And I don't like it... 

Tomorrow, more has to happen. Spending a day not really doing anything doesn't cut it for me now. I suddenly have all this energy and I need to use it. 

• Like 1

Day 11: 

About to hit the Gym. I just wanted to stop in and put my new inspiration. Or at least something to day dream about when I am on the Treadmill. 

ABC has this new reality show called "The Quest." It is a fantasy based reality competition. Think Skyrim meets Survivor. 

www.youtube.com/embed/QyNKeDasNlQ

As I was watching it all I could think was, OH MY GOD I WANT TO BE ON THAT SHOW!!! But then I thought "Yeah, like I could run or jump or do any of that." 

I want to be fit enough to do something like that! Not just to fit into a great costume. But hell, if the world goes to crap and I have to survive, I wouldn't be able to right now. I wouldn't be able to run anywhere or escape anyone. Fight for my family. I'd just lay there like a slug... It will be my only defense. (Catch the reference?) 

Anyways. I am even more invigorated now. Thank you reality TV! 

I had an amazing day at the shooting range. I apparently have a great eye and so all of my shots were dead on the mark, even at 50 yards with no scope as an aid. So I am proud of myself for that. We had a big dinner that I totally regret, but not at the time. It was BBQ. Just a honking great plate of meat. It was delicious, but I feel like a lead balloon now. 

Time to get motivated and get to the gym. GRRRRRRR!!! 

• Like 1

Day 12: 

Last night, I RAN! Ok it was only for about 2 and a half minutes before my lungs felt like they were being squeezed to submission. But it was 2 and a half minutes! I see all these folks on the treadmills, jogging along without breaking a sweat and looking very smug about it. It's always bothered me that I couldn't do that. I guess its because I never tried and my body has no idea what a quick pace is. Unless it was hurriedly getting ready to go get a Krispy Kreme. 

Those 2 and a half minutes felt like a small eternity. But they were a start. Next time I try for 3. Slowly I will build it up and I will have my own smug look. Mainly being smug towards my old lazy self that scoffed at exercise. 

I tried doing some arm weights but they were so tired from shooting all day that I decided to pass on that and do my legs instead. There was no point in flogging the dead horse in this case. They weren't cooperating and I wasn't going to try and make them. It would only lead to me hurting myself. 

There was an older woman at the gym last night who I was seriously worried would hurt herself. She had no weight on any of the machines. Which I get. Some people like to do that to just get some movement. However, she was throwing herself into these movements with such ferocity that she was going to pull something and it would hurt. At one point she was on the lower back weight machine and was flinging herself back so far and so fast, as though she were launching herself off a bridge or something. I was hella scared she was going to snap her back. 

But everyone has their own style I guess. I prefer slow, controlled motions. Makes me feel like I am working harder than fast, flailing type motions. 

Today, I have no idea whats going on. I do know however that my hunger levels are constantly rising. I used to just feel like eating at dinner, but I wanted to snack during the day out of boredom and loving the bad foods. Lately I find myself hungry most of the day for something substantial. Usually a Jerky stick or something will help. We got these things called Tanka meat sticks. Supposedly the paleo alternative to slim jims (Which have a surprising amount of crap in them.) 

If the ingredients aren't something we can read, or get at the supermarket without having to have a science degree, we don't eat them. 

• Like 1

Congrats on the running! 2.5 minutes is more than what Week 2 of the Couch to 5k program even calls for! It seems like you're doing really well sticking to healthy living. If at some point, you want to take on running more directly, the C25K program might provide the right amount of structure. Each week consists of 3 workouts lasting about 20 minutes. The first week is just to alternate a 60s jog with 90s of walking.

Keep kicking ass :D

• Like 1

-- Vanimal --