'Ello

Been reading Nerd Fitness stuff for a couple of years and learnt a lot, so thought I'd try and join in conversations and stuff. 

Been working on the BBWW, up to two sets. Added a few more things to it too. I seem to start it every time the weather warms up. Winter just ruins me! I have a circulation problem which means I feel the cold a lot more and lack energy because of it. So, I'm thinking of heating thermal clothes up and wearing them to exercise in :D

My main goal right now is to be able to do press ups. They have been my nemesis for so long! I am doing them on my knees at the moment but today I will change it to negative press ups instead (that's the next step, right?). I'm planking myself into oblivion in each work out to help out my flimsy core and I need to fashion some kind of station to do inverted rows. I have no table (ha), and when I tried to do it on two chairs it was way to low (but, that might because of my freakishly long arms). Got some squats and lunges thrown in but they seem so easy, so need to think of a way to make them harder (running up stairs two at a time at work all day has paid off it seems).

Background in swimming and really want to get back into that but would that cardio element ruin the strength gains? I am sure I read that cardio is bad for strength. Plus, I don't need to lose weight.

I think that when I can no longer fit a Pringle tube on my arm, I will be happy.

Look forward to getting to know you all!

Welcome!

On the question of cardio vs. strength training, everything I've seen while hunting around online suggests that while cardio, in and of itself, isn't bad for strength, it's important to balance it.

Basically, if you're doing strength training, you're using up dietary and energy resources to fuel and heal. Cardio also uses these resources. If you create competition by doing too much cardio, the cardio can demand more resources that would otherwise go to muscle building, slowing down your gains.

This doesn't necessarily mean that cardio is bad to mix with it, as it can help deal with soreness, improve your heart so that you have more stamina in the weight room, and aid in flexibility.

I, personally, am focusing on weight training 3 times a week with a single workout on a recovery day dedicated to cardio. I also like to mix in swimming as my cardio as much as a I can, as it seems to synergize well with the kind of strain weight lifting puts on my body.

tl;dr: Swimming's fine to mix with weight training, especially if you're not trying to break any powerlifting records. Just don't go overkill and sap yourself too much.

Bandcamp
Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger/Warrior
[str 8 || Dex 4 || Con 3 || Wis 3 || Cha 2] 

1st Challenge: The First Ideal

2nd Challenge: Perfection Through Practice
Fitocracy: Bandcamp14

Welcome!

On the question of cardio vs. strength training, everything I've seen while hunting around online suggests that while cardio, in and of itself, isn't bad for strength, it's important to balance it.

Basically, if you're doing strength training, you're using up dietary and energy resources to fuel and heal. Cardio also uses these resources. If you create competition by doing too much cardio, the cardio can demand more resources that would otherwise go to muscle building, slowing down your gains.

This doesn't necessarily mean that cardio is bad to mix with it, as it can help deal with soreness, improve your heart so that you have more stamina in the weight room, and aid in flexibility.

I, personally, am focusing on weight training 3 times a week with a single workout on a recovery day dedicated to cardio. I also like to mix in swimming as my cardio as much as a I can, as it seems to synergize well with the kind of strain weight lifting puts on my body.

tl;dr: Swimming's fine to mix with weight training, especially if you're not trying to break any powerlifting records. Just don't go overkill and sap yourself too much.

Hi Bandcamp!

Thanks for your reply. I will commence with one swimming sesh a week I think. To be honest, any more than that will do my head in (I have long, long hair that is such an arse to dry!). So, win-win, I think!

• Like 1

Try jumping squats and lunges for harder variations. Also, you might do better with incline push-ups than with the knee variety. For inverted rows... hmmm, I don't know. Is there a playground nearby with a low enough bar?

Hi Barfly

I always thought anything with jumping would be a bit cardio...I will look into that and other variations. Yeah, probably best with incline. No play ground but I am looking into some strange alternatives. Thanks for the tips!

• Like 1

I put my money where my mouth was today. I can definitely say that swimming on top of lifting 3x a week will definitely wear you out.

*exhausted thumbs up*

Ha! When you say lift though, I imagine massive weight lifting. I'm only lifting my 57kg self. Or do you mean all kinds of lifting? I will try it out...just to see. But, I might not do my usual 100 laps :D

Ha! When you say lift though, I imagine massive weight lifting. I'm only lifting my 57kg self. Or do you mean all kinds of lifting? I will try it out...just to see. But, I might not do my usual 100 laps :D

If you're wondering about lifting check out Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. The nice th8ng about weightlifting is that you're really measured based on % of weight and not pure absolute max. It's about worming up to the strongest *you*

Bandcamp
Level 2 Half-Orc Ranger/Warrior
[str 8 || Dex 4 || Con 3 || Wis 3 || Cha 2] 

1st Challenge: The First Ideal

2nd Challenge: Perfection Through Practice
Fitocracy: Bandcamp14

If you're wondering about lifting check out Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. The nice th8ng about weightlifting is that you're really measured based on % of weight and not pure absolute max. It's about worming up to the strongest *you*

Saved those to my bookmarks. I just feel I will be working on press ups forever! 

Also, teeny tiny afraid of the gym...never been in one. Maybe one day! Thanks for the tips!