Hanging Challenge 30-days

Following Ido Portal's Hanging challenge, we will aim to hang for 7 minutes a day (in smaller amounts) for 30 days without rest days. Link

Hanging can be divided into:

1. Passive Hanging - relaxed, deactivated, targets more of the passive structural integrity components than the more 'muscular heavy' hangs. It is where more often than not we will start with a beginner. (certain issues with shoulder health and integrity might require we start with active hangs for example)

2. Active Hanging - selective activation of the pattern, engaging musculature and minimizing the demands on passive structural integrity while maximizing the active-component demand and adaptation. Active hangs are a type of strength work. More specifically - Straight Arm Scapular Strength.

3. Dynamic Hanging - the use of a combination of passive/active hangs AND momentum to initiate a variety of dynamic actions such as Brachiation, Swinging, dynamic release and catch (Lache for example) and more.

I will set the official start as August 11th, the start of week 3, but feel free to start your tally earlier.

Here is a prototype check-off chart:

| M | T | W | R | F | S | S ||   |   |   |   |   |   |   ||   |   |   |   |   |   |   ||   |   |   |   |   |   |   ||   |   |   |   |   |   |   ||   |   |

Leaders

Elastigirl - COMPLETED

Nuala - 11 day streak

• Like 1

Species: Elven Vampire

Class: Assassin

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains 

Cool! I was thinking of starting one. I am starting the challenge today. I don't think I'm going to necessarily do all 7 minutes though, that seems like a lot,and I don't want to overdo it and hurt my shoulder. So, can I still join? I plan on doing it every day, but maybe not for the whole 7 minutes

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Cool! I was thinking of starting one. I am starting the challenge today. I don't think I'm going to necessarily do all 7 minutes though, that seems like a lot,and I don't want to overdo it and hurt my shoulder. So, can I still join? I plan on doing it every day, but maybe not for the whole 7 minutes

Yep! You may want to adjust the chart to either start on F or have the extra two spots at the top.

You could put a single digit number (rounded minutes you did) in place of the middle space (three are in each day spot) instead of just an x.

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains 

Yep! You may want to adjust the chart to either start on F or have the extra two spots at the top.

You could put a single digit number (rounded minutes you did) in place of the middle space (three are in each day spot) instead of just an x.

That would be good, then I could track how much time, because I would like my time to increase. I can also hang out in the non loaded (feet on ground) position to fill my time. I thought that would be too easy and kind of boring, but after doing it this morning, I think it is good practice.

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I'll be doing the same as Elastigirl, starting at 2 minutes a day and building my time up steadily; by 1 minute a week if I can. I was also planning on taking Sundays off, but may do Sundays as well for the sake of the PvP. I'll be alternating between dead hangs and flexed arm hangs. I started yesterday, but I was planning on going for longer than 30 days anyway, so I'll start with everyone else.

I'll be doing the same as Elastigirl, starting at 2 minutes a day and building my time up steadily; by 1 minute a week if I can. I was also planning on taking Sundays off, but may do Sundays as well for the sake of the PvP. I'll be alternating between dead hangs and flexed arm hangs. I started yesterday, but I was planning on going for longer than 30 days anyway, so I'll start with everyone else.

You may go ahead and count yesterday, I mostly just left a few days of padding so people do not not join because they missed the start.

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains 

I saw that earlier and thought it would be fun to do. Can I count my climbing sessions as an hanging session? I'm working on a tunnel problem right now and my hands and shoulders are way too burned after one session to do anything else.

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

I saw that earlier and thought it would be fun to do. Can I count my climbing sessions as an hanging session? I'm working on a tunnel problem right now and my hands and shoulders are way too burned after one session to do anything else.

Hanging is recommended for Ido's back to basics approach, but if you hang on other days and put some focus on pulling/hanging/arms over compensating with legs (I doubt you actually need to think about that, but I know I would) on climbing days I think it should count so as to not have climbing break your hanging chain.

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains 

I'll try hanging down every-time I pass near my pullup bar. I don't like it very much though, it's ok for pullups and stuff but it's a metal only bar and my hand get sweaty quickly and thus, I slip after 30 seconds (15 if I'm doing a one hand hang) Bit annoying especially because I know I can last one minute on the fingerboard at the gym.

It's a bit hard to breath correctly when hanging any tips for that?

I'll try hanging down every-time I pass near my pullup bar. I don't like it very much though, it's ok for pullups and stuff but it's a metal only bar and my hand get sweaty quickly and thus, I slip after 30 seconds (15 if I'm doing a one hand hang) Bit annoying especially because I know I can last one minute on the fingerboard at the gym.

It's a bit hard to breath correctly when hanging any tips for that?

I noticed that dead handing is not as simple as I erroneously recalled, I will likely need to build up too. As I grip a wooden version of this, rotated with the narrow side facing down, with wood wider than the stone, I tend to use gloves anyway. (The outside option is a beam about 1" (3cm) thick at the top, but at least a foot (1/3m) downward so I can curl my fingers some but no kipping.) I think 30s each time you pass is the exact idea of the challenge though. Do you have climbing chalk?

Not sure about breathing, does someone else have any ideas?

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains 

No climbing chalk, but I have to buy some. Sweaty hands and bouldering are not friends :( I'll try to put some gloves when using my pullup bar, maybe it'll help.

Did my part today, hanging at home + bouldering (video incoming!) + more hanging at the gym (on fingerboard + on the rings + on the "balls"? ) . My shoulders complain quite a bit :P

No climbing chalk, but I have to buy some. Sweaty hands and bouldering are not friends :( I'll try to put some gloves when using my pullup bar, maybe it'll help.

Did my part today, hanging at home + bouldering (video incoming!) + more hanging at the gym (on fingerboard + on the rings + on the "balls"? ) . My shoulders complain quite a bit :tongue:

I used my chalk. In the past, I wrapped a couple of socks around it, and that helped too. Singing helps my breathing when I handstand, I wonder if it would help in hanging? Not sure, I struggle with the breathing too. 

I played around with hanging for a total of 7 minutes during my workout at the playground today and got seriously lightheaded... looks like I will be joining your guys in the slow build up :D

Thanks for organizing this, Harika!

It need not be all at once. Light headed from hanging such as at the bottom of a pull up?

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains 

| M | T | W | R | F | S | S |
                | þ | ø | þ |
| ± |   |   |   |   |   |   |
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |
|   |   |   |   |   |   |   |

ø : done

± : In progress or partly done

þ : Done including climbing

• Like 1

So I did about a minute today, just on my pullup bar and in between wall planks. I can't figure out your fancy little chart thingy, I tried copy and pasting and it was all wonky and I couldn't get it lined up... I'm keeping track on my own calendar, anyway...

Just quote my graph post, put the cursor to the left of the first character, then hit backspace until the quote box goes away. The font BBcode did not work, but using the actual font editing option did. NF's forums are very challenging to use from a BBCode perspective. I think it can only be seen on the mobile site - when you lack easy access to the keys for typing the code. >.>

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains 

Yesterday I did 2 minutes of non weight dead hang,then about 2 minutes of passive hang, and several reps of active hang (shrugs)

I didn't always time myself, sometimes I just went by the bar and hung out for a little bit (5 secs). I think I am going to work on doing it at least 10 times during the day, and not worry as much about time, since I can only do it for a max of 20 seconds so far. 

Yesterday I did 2 minutes of non weight dead hang,then about 2 minutes of passive hang, and several reps of active hang (shrugs)

I didn't always time myself, sometimes I just went by the bar and hung out for a little bit (5 secs). I think I am going to work on doing it at least 10 times during the day, and not worry as much about time, since I can only do it for a max of 20 seconds so far. 

I have been considering that, but I suspect that the time element pushes me further. Currently I think my hands are the weakest link.

1m today.

Magic Numbers pvp

Heroes vs Villains