Friend wants to Suicide. Need quick help!

Guys I need help. The O Levels results were published today, and my friend, who worked exceedingly hard didn't do as good as he expected to. Now he wants to suicide (He's the cleanest and nicest guy you'd ever come upon) and now he's completely broken down.

He worked really hard, and now he wants to end his life.

He thinks death is what he deserves.

I need help ASAP.

Level 3 Minotaur

Assassin in training

In the process of metamorphosis to Dunmer

STR 8|  DEX 4|  STA 6|  CON 5|  WIS 4|  CHA 3|

0.1   0.5   0.3   0.3   0.5    0.4

Spoiler

"Hold on, the weight of the world will give you the strength to go."

"War Never Changes. Men do, through the roads they walk."

"With great power, there must also come great responsibility."

Call a local crisis center or your country's emergency number.

Don't let him be alone and remove knives and any lethal objects.

You may want to read some articles.

http://m.helpguide.org/articles/suicide-prevention/suicide-prevention

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/suicide/in-depth/suicide/art-20044707

http://m.wikihow.com/Help-Someone-Who-Is-Thinking-About-Committing-Suicide

• Like 1

<p>Gwenhwyfar, level 0 Wild elf adventurerSTR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Thanks for your replies, guys. I went to his home a few hours ago, he's a lot calmer now, and had my mother talk to his. I hope I've done everything under my power.

• Like 4

Level 3 Minotaur

Assassin in training

Spoiler

You're a good friend!

Thank You, I try to be.

Level 3 Minotaur

Assassin in training

Spoiler

Sounds like he's judging himself pretty harshly, too harshly.

Maybe do some activities that'll help widen perception so that a larger picture of life and being can be realized.... like... watch a sun rise or practice a 48-hour fast or something. Holding compassion towards the self, despite the negativity or pain being experienced, and taking on a phoenix spirit (rising from the ashes) attitude could do your friend well.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

Just keep an eye on your friend and make sure everything is okay! ^^

He could be going through a lot that he can't handle on his own.

Thanks. I keep in contact with him throughout the day, to make sure he's okay or how he's doing.

Sounds like he's judging himself pretty harshly, too harshly.

Maybe do some activities that'll help widen perception so that a larger picture of life and being can be realized.... like... watch a sun rise or practice a 48-hour fast or something. Holding compassion towards the self, despite the negativity or pain being experienced, and taking on a phoenix spirit (rising from the ashes) attitude could do your friend well.

Best of luck.

He's improved a lot by now. The suicidal thoughts have left, or he doesn't talk about them. He once told me that he doesn't feel like suicide anymore, he just wants to run away. He's going to retry in October and he's going to start studying for it, which is a good sign, I hope.

Thanks again for posting here.

Level 3 Minotaur

Assassin in training

Spoiler

Thanks. I keep in contact with him throughout the day, to make sure he's okay or how he's doing.

He's improved a lot by now. The suicidal thoughts have left, or he doesn't talk about them. He once told me that he doesn't feel like suicide anymore, he just wants to run away. He's going to retry in October and he's going to start studying for it, which is a good sign, I hope.

Thanks again for posting here.

Wanting to run away is still a strong emotion, but it isn't as permanent as suicide, so I'd say it's an improvement too.

As long as he doesn't wrap all of his emotions up into the October retry and repeats the pattern, because if he doesn't do well a second time and hasn't addressed his (sub)conscious reasons for his reaction to the first test results, those emotions are sure to come up again and might be even more powerful than the first time. On the other hand, focusing on a later point in time like October might help lift him out of overwhelming emotions by focusing his energies

Keeping in contact and taking it by a day-to-day basis is a supportive way to go about it, you seem like a good friend. Again, best of luck.

• Like 1

Wanting to run away is still a strong emotion, but it isn't as permanent as suicide, so I'd say it's an improvement too.

As long as he doesn't wrap all of his emotions up into the October retry and repeats the pattern, because if he doesn't do well a second time and hasn't addressed his (sub)conscious reasons for his reaction to the first test results, those emotions are sure to come up again and might be even more powerful than the first time. On the other hand, focusing on a later point in time like October might help lift him out of overwhelming emotions by focusing his energies

Keeping in contact and taking it by a day-to-day basis is a supportive way to go about it, you seem like a good friend. Again, best of luck.

One of the real danger signs is when they stop talking, altogether.

The real danger sign is when there is "NO sound in the forest"

If he was just bummed, and letting off steam, there is hope.

good luck, God  bless, and keep your perspective. :numbness:

Thank You, guys, for the advice. He's almost back to his old self. And we're talking regularly, and he doesnt bring up neither the topic of suicide, nor the topic of running away. We talk about studies, and other stuffs that we used to talk about. I dont really know if I am doing it right, but I think things are improving.

• Like 1

Level 3 Minotaur

Assassin in training

Spoiler

How's your friend doing?

How are you doing?

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

Glad to hear that things are going well! :D

Many people do better in their studies and schoolwork than in their tests. It could be because they feel more pressure or stress during it or it could be any number of factors including the time of the day and energy levels. That's why we shouldn't cram or study all night the night before the test, just a review would do, but go to bed early and eat a good, healthful breakfast in the morning. Other things, such as mnemonics, can help with remembering facts and figures. 

• Like 1

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3

I'd just like to add one thing, for future reference. If someone is serious about commiting suicide, really truly serious, a forum won't respond fast enough to be any real help. He still needed help and it turned out okay, but next time in such a situation you should just look up the number of the suicide hotline, not only is it faster but they're also trained for these situations.

But glad to hear it worked out.

• Like 3

If it's ever an emergency you should call 911 (or your country's equivalent). Better to have your friend go to a hospital than end it all, even if they do get mad at you.

• Like 2

Goal weight: 135 lbs (61.2 kg), Starting weight: 200 lbs (90.7 kg)

Current Weight: 196.6 lbs (89.2 kg)

5.2%
5.2%

Battle Log | Challenge

The chronicles of my journey through mental illness.

The Stories Not Told

Break the silence. Fight the stigmas. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Level 2 Half-Elf

|STR| 4 |DEX| |STA| |CON| |WIS| |CHA| 5

This is a very late reply, I haven't been online for quite a long time. Sorry about that.

How's your friend doing?

How are you doing?

We both are doing great now. Thanks for asking

Glad to hear that things are going well! :D

Many people do better in their studies and schoolwork than in their tests. It could be because they feel more pressure or stress during it or it could be any number of factors including the time of the day and energy levels. That's why we shouldn't cram or study all night the night before the test, just a review would do, but go to bed early and eat a good, healthful breakfast in the morning. Other things, such as mnemonics, can help with remembering facts and figures. 

That's some good advice. I'll try to convey them and use them personally as well. Thanks

I'd just like to add one thing, for future reference. If someone is serious about commiting suicide, really truly serious, a forum won't respond fast enough to be any real help. He still needed help and it turned out okay, but next time in such a situation you should just look up the number of the suicide hotline, not only is it faster but they're also trained for these situations.

But glad to hear it worked out.

Yeah, that was quite stupid of me. I'll remember that if something happens like that again (though I hope not).

If it's ever an emergency you should call 911 (or your country's equivalent). Better to have your friend go to a hospital than end it all, even if they do get mad at you.

Yes, I could live that.

Level 3 Minotaur

Assassin in training

Spoiler

That's good to hear you and your friend are doing bit better.

Thanks a lot :)

• Like 1

Level 3 Minotaur

Assassin in training

Spoiler

You need to act immidiately , if you wait you could lose him , call family and friends and if needed contact the proper authorities , you dont want to live with the regret of not dong everything in your power to save a life , GO NOW

Thanks for that. Actually, this post is from August, but if it makes a difference, I did exactly that. And I'm glad, because he did not suicide, and I'm glad I acted then.

Level 3 Minotaur

Assassin in training

Spoiler