Behind the Bar - The Homebrewers' Haven

Had a brew day a few days ago, and it immediately blew out through the airlock the next day. That's what I get for not using a blowoff tube :tongue:

I had our tap handle break open on a Russian Imperial Stout we made once. Lost about 1/5 of the batch. Aged it for 12 months in a keg and it tasted like a slightly smoother version of New Holland's Dragon's Milk. It was the best beer we've ever done and of course we have no idea what the recipe was. Now we write EVERYTHING down. Was a very sad day seeing that much delicious beer all over the top of our bar. 

Oddly enough, we are 8 months into ageing an attempt at re-making it. 

• Like 1

I am going to be taking my first stab at home brewing in the next couple weeks. Looking forward to it, but I would like peoples opinions on Plastic Vs glass bottles. I know glass is preferable, but if the taste difference that noticeable?

Found this article today: http://gizmodo.com/why-beer-isnt-sold-in-plastic-bottles-1629207952?utm_content=buffer32405&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Like 2

Rosiesan

Battle Log | MyFitnessPal | @kari_renae

Level 1 Half Elf Warrior

STR 2 | STA 3 | DEX 1 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

Challenges: [1]  [2]  [3]

Current Challenge  

Because who doesn't want to be a laser magician?

Bottled my husband's Apple Ale last weekend and it tasted pretty good so we're really excited!

Brewed a batch of pumpkin Ale. I added more pumpkin and more spices into it then was provided so I'm nervous how it will turn out. I'm not sure what I want to brew next, maybe redo my cherry beer, but I want to stay away from the kit and actually figure out the hops and malt and grains on my own.

Rosiesan

Do you have the recipe handy? I'd like to make one too but not sure of a good starting point.

I bottled my hefeweizen yesterday - can't wait to crack it open soon :)

I do not :( It was a kit I picked up.

I've been really enjoying red ales of late, so thinking for the beer after this one I am going to do a pumpkin red ale. Pumpkins won't be in season here for a little while yet, so I have time before I can do it.

That sounds like a good plan! Hope it turns out.

Rosiesan

Finally making my ESB today - first all grain brew. I've been tweeting about it from @duke_of_brew if anyone wants to check that out. Has pictures, but isn't very exciting, I send a few tweets every hour or two when we move onto the latest step. I started that twitter account a week or two ago just to tweet about anything beer related in my life.

This too, shall pass.

We used to homebrew mead with some friends. Actually, they were a Chemistry grad, a Chemical Engineering grad and a Chemistry PhD guy, so you can imagine :D

Finding this thread sure stirs up some memories, I've pretty muched dropped beer but I could get back into meadmaking...

• Like 2

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (7)Fitness (2)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

We used to homebrew mead with some friends. Actually, they were a Chemistry grad, a Chemical Engineering grad and a Chemistry PhD guy, so you can imagine :D

Finding this thread sure stirs up some memories, I've pretty muched dropped beer but I could get back into meadmaking...

Oh man... the few Chem Eng's I knew from back at school.  I can't even imagine brewing beer with them.  Haha...

You know, when I first found NF, I thought I finally found a place I fit in..then I saw this thread..hello fellow brewers! :)

I've been brewing for almost 2 years now, not as much as I used to.  Right now my brewing is at a standstill, I am looking to upgrade some equipment and replace some equipment..my space is limited so I am looking to make some changes.  I actually just finished off the last bottle of the last batch I made last night, a Witbier with Candied Ginger..it came out very nice!  The only kit I ever used was the one that came with my equipment, I've been researching/writing my own recipes since and only had one that was a total failure (Saison with Cucumber and Ginger, featuring Sorachi Ace hops) but I'd definitely give it another go (learned a lot of lessons).  If you guys can't tell, I don't brew to style.

I am also a Cicerone CBS and studying to become a Certified Cicerone.  And to my immediate left is my dual temp wine fridge that presently houses my rare/vintage bombers that I collect..I've got one I'm planning to sit on til 2019..and I'll be needing more storage space for the collection soon as well.

• Like 1

I am also a Cicerone CBS and studying to become a Certified Cicerone.  And to my immediate left is my dual temp wine fridge that presently houses my rare/vintage bombers that I collect..I've got one I'm planning to sit on til 2019..and I'll be needing more storage space for the collection soon as well.

Very nice!  My wife is a Certified Beer Server as well.  She took the test when they were having that sale a few years back.  She's debated for awhile about moving to the Cicerone step, but then she got pregnant.  :)  Maybe some day.  Good luck on the tests.  How soon do you think you'll go for it? 

Very nice!  My wife is a Certified Beer Server as well.  She took the test when they were having that sale a few years back.  She's debated for awhile about moving to the Cicerone step, but then she got pregnant.  :)  Maybe some day.  Good luck on the tests.  How soon do you think you'll go for it? 

Well, I've done a great job of developing my palette (still working on a few off flavors: I seem to be immune to Acetaldehyde).  I also picked up The Oxford Companion to Beer recently to begin studying.  Cicerone recently began to design actual course work to prepare others for the test and I plan to enroll in their program for that soon.  I'm thinking I am still a few years off, from what I have heard from those that have taken and passed the Certified Cicerone test..it's a bit of a doozy.

Since I work in a Wine Shop, I also intend to start dabbling in some books a Sommelier friend recommended to me so I can give recommendations to customers.  I've got lots of plans and lots of reading to do. Oi vey!

From what I understand it's not trivial by any stretch.  I think the test is like $350 ($395 actually, just looked it up) and an all day sort of thing.  And you have to be able to tell a lot of information about a beer simply by taste and color.  Also, to actually become a Ciecerone, I believe you need to have a worked serving beer for a few years or have a liquor store / bar owner vouch for you. 

That said, if you know a decent amount about brewing and beer in general, you can probably pass the CBS test.  My wife was a homebrewer for 3-4 years and just liked beer and took the CBS test a few years back (I think they were doing a sale of $10 per test when they got to 10,000 CBS certs).  She passed on her first try.  She said there was a few questions about distribution of beer and stuff she had no idea on since she wasn't actually working in the industry, but yeah. 

• Like 1

Spent yesterday checking out this Cicerone thing and it is really neat, thinking I am probably going to go for the CBS step at some point soonish myself, what kind of timeline does it take to be a certified cicerone?

For the CBS, here's how my timeline of prep breaks down:

Age 21 (or 18 if you're not a cop) to Age 26 I had been drinking lots of microbrewed/craft beer, never heard of Cicerone.

Shortly before my 27th birthday, learned about the program from a CBS and brewer.

About 4 months later, I just decide on a whim to go for it (did a little reading in the areas I was rough on, also keep the BJCP style list handy anytime I drink).  Scored an 85%, passing grade, on my first attempt.

In a nutshell, for anyone that is big into craft beers, has a decent knowledge of them, decent knowledge of the brewing process, and what a "beer clean glass" is..that's really about enough to pass the first test.  Technically speaking, I'm not allowed to introduce myself as a Cicerone until I pass the Certified Cicerone test.

From what I understand it's not trivial by any stretch.  I think the test is like $350 ($395 actually, just looked it up) and an all day sort of thing.  And you have to be able to tell a lot of information about a beer simply by taste and color.  Also, to actually become a Ciecerone, I believe you need to have a worked serving beer for a few years or have a liquor store / bar owner vouch for you. 

That said, if you know a decent amount about brewing and beer in general, you can probably pass the CBS test.  My wife was a homebrewer for 3-4 years and just liked beer and took the CBS test a few years back (I think they were doing a sale of $10 per test when they got to 10,000 CBS certs).  She passed on her first try.  She said there was a few questions about distribution of beer and stuff she had no idea on since she wasn't actually working in the industry, but yeah. 

First test is question and answer, multiple choice.

Certified Cicerone has multiple choice, essay, short verbal presentation, taste testing (make sure you know your styles/off flavors), and from what I've heard they give you a keg system, completely broken down, and grade you on the time to assemble and accuracy of the final product.

I am guessing that at maximum it will take me 4 more years of prep to get there..from what I've heard from most Certified Cicerones it took them roughly 5 years to prepare.

Now, Cicerone program is finally adding some structure and designing course work dedicated to helping CBS' pass the CC test, so it could easily shorten that time frame.

As for that last part, there are also trick questions..I fell for one.  Let's just say from how it was worded the answer could've been either Farmhouse Ale or Saison.  Still pissed about that one, I re-read the question multiple times after and saw both answers working..just bad writing on their part.

Small warning tho if you do go for it: Your craft brew friends are going to start thinking your a snob.  Every beer I try it is all about seeing what I can taste and smell, what belongs and what doesn't belong.  I'm often accused of "making stuff up" because they can't get what I'm getting (there are other CBS' that can pick up stuff I can't..I don't go after them).  It's just going to happen..but guess what, when you pass the test and they don't..you win. ;)