I can (sort of) manage a few pushups

Some of you who inhabit chat will be aware that since turning my attention to shedding bodyfat, I've gone from 243.Ican'tremember at 6'3" late last August to 197.8 this afternoon. I've never really learned how to do pushups, seeing how I'd always been too fat, too weak or, most often, both, to do them. They didn't become an area of attention for me until very recently.

However, thanks in great measure to your encouragement and knowledge, I managed the first actual pushups of my life this week at age 36. Beware the shitty lighting and framing, but here were today's...

http://youtu.be/oMcwDaMmG3c

Pushups are at the end of my workouts, so I'm already wiped out from core exercises, BW squats, leg pressing, assisted chins, hip hinging and barbell ankle stretching when I do them. Yes, these things really do wipe me out :( , and yes, I really do need all of them. I learned such the hard way last year by repeatedly injuring my lumbar area; I couldn't keep it from rounding while deadlifting less than my BW. Fortunately, the unyielding rigidity of my clubfeet meant that I didn't need to get injured to be convinced that I couldn't squat properly. That's probably the first time I've ever used 'fortunately' and 'clubfeet' in the same sentence, btw.

The following could stand to be repeated, even though I mentioned it a while back. I'm one of the least athletic otherwise-healthy people that you'll ever see. My peers when I was younger knew it, too. The relentless bullying to which I was subjected led me to equate physical activity with abuse and humiliation, since that's all it ever brought me back then. It took me until my mid-30s to learn that pursuit of fitness (however you define it) is an immensely powerful way of loving yourself. Training is rewarding me EMOTIONALLY in ways I couldn't have imagined.

I love you guys. :love_heart:

• Like 2