Fashion for all sizes and fitness levels!

I love your outfit!  Professional and very classy - and suits your body type!  Now I want to find someone to photograph me today... lmao.

Unrelated to fashion, I have deep envy of that clear blue water behind you.  Are you that close to the shore????????

thanks :D def do it, this thread needs more photos! and yeh, my office is on the shore of the swan river. i run along it from time to time, when the weather is nice. 

auvqkHv.jpg

• Like 3

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

1. If I can get someone to take a pic of my rainy day fashion today, I will get it posted.  I'm really into the girly dress/beat up leather jacket look for cooler days.  I just wish I could wear boots or booties or even some heeled oxfords instead of these ugly walking shoes (but the ugly shoes have support and fit my brace, so the boots will have to wait).  In case I don't get a pic, it's basically black lace leggings, this dress (I love everything with birds on it, it's a serious weakness) and a beat up brown faux-leather jacket over.  And hot pink lipstick, because I'm a rebel like that.
  2. I have a gorgeous view from my workplace, but I am jealous of yours anyway.  I can't get a pic today because it's pouring, unfortunately.
  • Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

THIS THREAD! <3

A couple of you mentioned something along the lines of "it wasn't until I began accepting myself/having self-confidence in my appearance that I was really able to start getting healthy." This feels so true for me. I hide in jeans and big shirts almost every day, feeling like there isn't much point putting effort into my appearance when I'm so overweight. Logically I know that doesn't make much sense, but it's a thought borne of super low self-esteem. Ironically, a lot of my emotional eating is due to low self-esteem and feeling crummy about my appearance, so we're looking at a negative feedback loop here.

Occasionally I will put on an outfit that is a little more 'put together' than jeans and t-shirt, but I pretty much never get out the door with it. I feel so uncomfortable/weird/vulnerable wearing anything else, especially if it is more form fitting.

I'm really drawn to natural fibers, organics, and earth tones. But so much of the plus sized clothing I encounter is kind of the opposite of that? And when I do find clothes I'm drawn to, they're wildly expensive because they're organic, fair-trade, etc. etc. (Which is pretty cool, but I don't have that kinda cash!) I sew a little bit, so maybe I need to explore that route more.

• Like 1

THIS THREAD! <3

A couple of you mentioned something along the lines of "it wasn't until I began accepting myself/having self-confidence in my appearance that I was really able to start getting healthy." This feels so true for me. I hide in jeans and big shirts almost every day, feeling like there isn't much point putting effort into my appearance when I'm so overweight. Logically I know that doesn't make much sense, but it's a thought borne of super low self-esteem. Ironically, a lot of my emotional eating is due to low self-esteem and feeling crummy about my appearance, so we're looking at a negative feedback loop here.

Occasionally I will put on an outfit that is a little more 'put together' than jeans and t-shirt, but I pretty much never get out the door with it. I feel so uncomfortable/weird/vulnerable wearing anything else, especially if it is more form fitting.

I'm really drawn to natural fibers, organics, and earth tones. But so much of the plus sized clothing I encounter is kind of the opposite of that? And when I do find clothes I'm drawn to, they're wildly expensive because they're organic, fair-trade, etc. etc. (Which is pretty cool, but I don't have that kinda cash!) I sew a little bit, so maybe I need to explore that route more.

I can totally relate to the feeling vulnerable when changing the normal look.  I wanted to do it in highschool, but I was afraid of the teasing that would come when trying something different.  (I got teased anyway, but it was always worse when I tried to change anything, basically a fresh chink for them to explore.)  Now when I try to stop cross-dressing, I feel somewhat the awkwardness of how I imagine a late-life MtF might experience even when they are totally convincing.

Also can totally relate to plus-sized clothing being completely the wrong material, plus everything else negative that can be said about such items.  Sewing is totally the way to go.  Look into sheets from the thrift store for learning on... material can't hold up to much strain, but it's good to learn on and you can turn it into quilts later.  I have a bolt of raw silk from Dharma trading company that I still need to turn into clothes, but I wish I had a bolt of sandwashed charmuse as well.  Just about everything that place sells is white, but they also sell dyes.

• Like 3

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I also have a difficult time with clothing off the rack for another reason--chest size. I'm an A. I don't see this as a problem. I LIKE this about myself. But, the fashion industry disagrees. I sometimes have a difficult time finding undergarments because some stores don't even carry anything smaller than a B. Or, more often the case, what's smaller than a B is all augmented to make you look bigger. Does not want! Sometimes I've considered getting a binder just to defy convention...

A lot of off-the-rack clothing hangs in me weirdly, too. It MOSTLY fits, except for the chest, and while I could take the chest in easily, I don't really feel like giving the company my money anymore. Once I started to sew everyday clothes for myself instead of  just costumes I was surprised to find that a lot of women's sewing patterns ALSO do not go smaller than a B. But, it's pretty easy for me to alter the patterns to flatten out the chest. I need to get back to sewing more everyday clothes now that I've got a better machine that doesn't jam every two feet.

Yes, mothers. Argh. When I was injured as a teenager and had to wear a back brace, mine said "it makes you look like you actually have boobs. Maybe you should keep wearing it after you're better."

I have this problem too, finding a size B bra with a 44 band (bc I'm barrel chested with no boobs) and then plus size shirts that fit my stomach and ribs AND boobs, doesnt happen....so I just wear 2x tshirts and leave it at that. Luckily, I dont work, so I can get away with it...but I dont like it very much!

ok lets do this - what im wearing in the office today! dont mind the "has the photo taken yet?" face :tongue:

q6RzcLH.jpg

I love your outfit!  Professional and very classy - and suits your body type!  Now I want to find someone to photograph me today... lmao.

Unrelated to fashion, I have deep envy of that clear blue water behind you.  Are you that close to the shore????????

This!

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

I recently found a fashion oriented website that helps you figure out what looks good on your body type and coloring and even gives shopping suggestions. I like it.

https://www.missussmartypants.com

• Like 1

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

I recently found a fashion oriented website that helps you figure out what looks good on your body type and coloring and even gives shopping suggestions. I like it.

https://www.missussmartypants.com

This seems really neat!  Unfortunate that it's a paid service, though... I'd like to see if my ideas line up with hers! ^_^

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Now when I try to stop cross-dressing, I feel somewhat the awkwardness of how I imagine a late-life MtF might experience even when they are totally convincing.

Im not entirely sure what you mean by this, but never be afraid to dress the way you want to! Be weird, be amazing, and leave the rest of the world to their insecurity. Money where my mouth is - what i wore friday.

http://imgur.com/9ZelJ71

Cos when you buy the most comfy pants in the world for $5, you wear them everywhere. Resting bitch face for life.

• Like 4

A good resource i found a while back to remix your wardrobe and shop your closet:

Puttingmetogether.com

Project33

Greater than rubies

Those a bloggers with down to earth style and fashion advice. Ok the are thin, but their advice is adaptable to any person's size.

Putting me together has a beginnier step by step series to help create a remixable wardrobe. I have been slowly migrating towards that for the last year and it helps a lot!

Hope it helps you too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 7 Yogini green witch

STR 3 - DEX 3 - STA 10 - CON 12 - WIS 13 - CHA 6

Previous challenges : 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6|| 7 || || 9 || 10 || 11

Current challenge : august 2020

Mantra : I am calm, I am love

And on that note...I am a very large mammal (6'2" and roughly 375lbs.) and after working from home the last 4 years, throw in a two year old, all the clothes I own are stained, stretched or ill fitting.  The idea of getting new clothes absolutely terrifies me due to my extreme body issues and self hate.  I have recently been laid off and now have to prepare to be in public (which is a completely separate nightmare for me) and I need to get new clothes.  Add to this the increasing feeling that my wife no longer finds me attractive (I can't blame her for it) and I am at a loss.  I know how to wear a good tailored suit, it's about the only thing that does not have a child induced stain on it in my closet, but it is the everyday 'business casual' and even 'casual casual' that is getting to me and I wanted some input, specifically from you lovely ladies.

In your opinions what do you think looks good on, lets just say it, fat men?  Have you seen any styles or thoughts on a look that you have seen that has impressed you or even just made you not disregard or even overlook the fact the guy was fat?  I have always kept in mind the saying that the goal of a fat guys clothes are to not to make him look like a thin man, but to make him look like a big man (think well dressed football/rugby player).

And yes I have looked up style ideas online, but I am truly interested in a perspective of someone that would find the style attractive on a fat guy (due to said above issue).  That being said I am no fashion expert but wifeDee is always asking for my input on her outfits and I would be willing to share any outside perspective for anyone here.

Damn, I've been through the "can't buy clothes, feel like a Hutt" shopping trips.  That's an awful feeling.

My ideal formal/office wardrobe would look like this:

- Dark dress pants (I prefer black or dark grey since they go with nearly everything)

- Black tie (goes with everything)

- Dress shirts that fit really well (I like either subtle patterns or light solid colours.  Again, no fear of clashing colours)

- Black vest (instead of a suit; vests are still formal, but way less bulky)

- One or two accessories (I like tie bars and watches, but some guys might go for cufflinks or trendy glasses instead.  Pick your favourite and make it your signature look)

One of the most stylish men I know is also a gentleman of size, and he typically dresses in this way.  He looks dynamite all the time.  He doesn't have a massive wardrobe, but everything in it fits him really well.

Another tip that I think can make a huge difference?  A good haircut on the regular and neatly groomed facial hair or a good shave.

• Like 3

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

Okay, I still fail at full body shots, but here:

53c3fc99-483f-4733-bc34-4fe11a992fac_zps

I love chunky, asymmetrical necklaces, stripes, and this lipstick.  Ever since I bought it, I just want to wear it every day (It's 69 by Urban Decay, by the way).  Unfortunately, you can't see my leather skirt (have the inside of my office instead?).  I just got the glasses... they're growing on me.

• Like 6

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

looks like someone owes us a butt pic! ;) haha

you look great tho, loving those glasses! 

LOL!  The last time there was a pic of my butt on these forums, I got Sir Mix-A-Lot quoted at me by yours truly, among others!  I am still recovering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Glad I let the guy at the shop talk me into them.  He was like, "If you're going to wear glasses, they may as well be Dolce & Gabbana" and I was like, "Well...... okay I guess?"

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

I am happy I stumbled across this today. I've always hated shopping, still do actually. ^_^ I've always been overweight, in the category of being between regular and plus sizes. Now though, more towards the plus sizes. ^_^ I'm a bit bottom heavy with a flat chest (size AA or smaller anyone?) and tall (5'10). I also have no sense of fashion. Currently at work wearing black jeans, a plain grey shirt and a plum colored (I think?) hoodie. Outside of work, I just wear blue jeans and men's t-shirts unless it's for a special occasion. Like the wedding I'm attending in just over a month. It has a theme of Retro Havana (Old Hollywood Glam meets 1950's Tropical Resort/Cuba). When I started looking at dresses that could fit with that theme, I took a slight tumble down the negativity hill. :( Pretty dresses on smaller bodies..

I haven't tried going to any shops yet so there haven't been any clothing shop freak outs. Yet. But because of you guys, I have things to look at for help and inspiration so hopefully they won't be many this time. :) If only I actually had someone besides my husband to go shopping with. 

• Like 3

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

LOL!  The last time there was a pic of my butt on these forums, I got Sir Mix-A-Lot quoted at me by yours truly, among others!  I am still recovering

im not seeing the problem? ;) 

When I started looking at dresses that could fit with that theme, I took a slight tumble down the negativity hill.  :( Pretty dresses on smaller bodies.

the answer to this problem is corsets. seriously. 

• Like 2

the answer to this problem is corsets. seriously. 

I have one but it doesn't feel long enough. And I'll have to wear it over my clothes since there's a lot of extra string used to tie it up. I've only wore it once. I have a picture of it somewhere.

Current

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Treat yourself to a new corset? They do make longer ones for people who are taller, or want more lower body shaping, or whatever. If you don't feel comfortable cutting the string you currently have for your corset, try getting some boot laces or long shoelaces. (They should be sturdy enough.) Lace from the top AND the bottom and tie them in the middle. Or, once the corset has relaxed and you're sure you won't want to tighten it any more for the evening, tie a sturdy knot and cut off the excess. (Benefit of not intending to reuse the boot laces!) Then, since you can't loosen them, cut them once above and below the knot before taking the corset off so the busk doesn't get damaged.

• Like 2

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I never thought of replacing the lacing and cutting off the excess. Hmm...I might have to play around with that a bit.. It's also an underbust one and purple. ^_^

Thanks for the tips. I've always liked corsets but I've never really worn them or researched them too indepth.

• Like 1

Current

I just found an article http://makinbacon.hubpages.com/hub/plussizewomenclothes but here's the relevant bit...

Most Clothes Won't Fit Right off the Rack

I used to work in a clothing shop for large men, and there's something more common to men in their actions in connection to their acquired clothing than women take, and that is the use of a tailor.

Very rarely when buying quality clothing does it fit men right, and even though women have many more curves then men, they're still less apt to think of a tailor, and in many cases get that feeling of powerlessness.

It doesn't have to be that way. When looking for a quality designer for plus-size clothing, assume you're not going to find something that fits exactly, and allow for that in your budget; at the very least for important clothing you'll need for special occasions or work.

I'm not exactly sure why, but a large percentage of women think something must come right off the rack and fit them perfectly. That's difficult to do, and a little extra time and money is worth the effort.

Follow these tips and steps and you'll find yourself feeling a lot better about the fashion choices you make.

• Like 2

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |