Struggling Former Athlete

Hello All!

I've been following Nerd Fitness for years, but never could seem to make the changes that I needed to.

My Story

All through high school, I was a dedicated, committed, athlete. I played soccer year-round for years at a high level. I regularly lifted weights with the football team. When I got to college, things started to fall apart. I didn't have a team to push me, and I hadn't learned how to be active on my own. 

Despite joining my school's rugby team, I still struggled with eating and not being as active as I used to be to burn off all the food I was eating. At graduation, I had gained about 20-30 pounds from my high school weight.

After graduating, I moved to Colorado and without a support network, I gained another twenty pounds. Things continued to fall apart over the next year, and now I find myself living back at home in Ohio with my parents, working a minimum wage job in my field (recreation facility management) to try to get back on track. After a bout of depression brought on by stress and disappointment, I find myself 50lbs overweight.

I recently started a new job at a local YMCA, and with that came a free membership. I took a strength test last week, and things clicked back into place. I'm still STRONG under all this extra weight!

As of today, I am committing myself once more to healthy eating, weight training, and overall wellness. 

I hope that with the support and community of like-minded people, I can not only make progress towards my goals, but can support other nerds in their journeys as well!

Thank you all for your inspiration, and I look forward to learning more about the awesome people of this community!

• Like 2

DFTBA

--Don't Forget to Be Awesome --

Your story really resonates with me.  All through high school and most of college I was a super dedicated athlete too - I did martial arts 5 nights a week and was extremely fit and active.  Once I got out on my own though... blech.  It was a whole different story because I didn't have that community feeling.  I've joined gyms before and gone to classes, and tried workouts on my own, but it just wasn't the same.  Nerd Fitness has already put a spark under my butt because the community here is so motivating and awesome that I can't wait to get back to the fitness level I used to have!! :)

Welcome, I think you'll really like it here!!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

As a fellow nerdfighter I had to stop in, say howdy and DFTBA!

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

That's an awesome statement of commitment! It's great that you got that "click" because that's some of the best motivation. :) 

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."