[Pathfinder] Journeys.

Bacon puts his tiny arms down and looks around as he lets reality overwhelm his sense. "Well, it's magical, but I won't say it's the fountain of youth" he exclaims to no one in particular. "Generally though, drinking from magic fountains has proven to be beneficial on most cases. For some reason, poison and acid tends to lie calmly in a pool, not splash around merrily, while fountains holding magic that would turn drinkers into axe-crazy killers are usually color-coded blood red for convenience". With that, he tries to find an empty vial or flask, rummaging through the things in his backpack. Or was it in his belt? He needs to take a sample of the liquid with him. "It's probably a healing fountain" he says, while digging through his inventory. "Or one with blessed water, to empower imbibers and burn the undead. Whoever thought of setting up a fountain in a place like this. But hey, what can you expect from somebody that put such a statue at the entrance. At least they didn't sculpt this into one of those fountains with urinating statues. Gah, that would be terrible, even without the water's golden glow. What's the deal with this place anyway? Goblins don't build fountains and they certainly wouldn't raid a place for such a prize. Not that those seem like regular goblins, quality clothing and all that. Ah, here it is!" With that, he dips a small vial into the fountain, then seals it carefully. "Should come in handy. Otherwise I'll take my time to analyze it in my alchemy lab once we're done with this place."

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4)🕶️s, Cooking (7)🍳Fitness (2)💪💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

Nas approaches the rubble kneeling next to Flo.  ‘There is something about her…..’, the thought cut off by the attempt to concentrate on the voices.  Looking down the opening he tried to see if he could make anything out.

(Languages known: Common, Elf, Celestial, Abyssal and Infernal.  Low-light vision….not sure if checks are needed for any of these actions)

Tick, Tick, Tick, BOOM!!!

Nas approaches the rubble kneeling next to Flo.  ‘There is something about her…..’, the thought cut off by the attempt to concentrate on the voices.  Looking down the opening he tried to see if he could make anything out.

(Languages known: Common, Elf, Celestial, Abyssal and Infernal.  Low-light vision….not sure if checks are needed for any of these actions)

The voices coming from the pathway are in common. It is tough to discern what is actually being said as there are multiple voices.

"We should never have come here."

"We have to get out"

More cannot be discerned as the level of panic in their voices increases and they drown each other out.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Bronan looks over his shoulder and sees that no one seems to be interested in going through the door, but are instead interested in the broken wall. He looks back to the door, a frown on his face, then turns and joins Tinybro at the fountain now that it's been said that the magics aren't likely harmful. Still, the slightly superstitious Bronan doesn't trust it and doesn't touch the water. If he sees the coins in the bottom, he will set down his sack, fish a silver out of his belt pouch, and toss it in for good luck, then pick his sack up again.

When Skinny elf girl points out the voices, Bronan then walks over to her, and listens as well. If he discerns that these are normal voices as well, he nudges past anyone in his way without a word and starts walking down the tunnel at a cautious but confident pace, looking to find the source.

((OOC: Remember everyone, DM points out things you've observed yourself. If you want the others to know, you have to share. Other characters don't know it just because DM told you what you observed or realized.))

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

As Bronan moves to the other side of the fountain he pulls a small silver coin from his belt pouch and tosses it into the well. After a brief pause nothing seems to happen so he proceeds to the others. 

Bacon looks at Bronan as he passes, then takes another glance into the pool. Suddenly the coin his companion had just thrown into the pool begins to glow and begins to spread as the entire fountain itself begins eminate a golden glow just as the runes upon its base had. Bacon looks at the vial he had just filled from the fountain, it has not begun to glow like the rest of the fountains waters however.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

As Rowan is studying the Runes he mentions to Bacon who just finished filling his vial with the water, "you are correct this was not made by the likes of any goblin ilk." Rowan describes to Bacon that the Runes are ancient magical symbols, but have begun to degrade over time. Rowan can just barely see the outlines of the numerous coins at the bottom of the fountain when Flo walks up and hands Rowan a coin. "I can't tell off hand if it is the same kind of coin, but those I can see are of various sizes and it wouldn't hurt to see if anything happens. The Runes mention that all were welcome and boons will be granted to those who give tribute." Rowan hears a splash and looks up to see that Bronan has moved from the door to the fountain. Nothing initially happens in the fountain so Rowan throws the coin Flo gave him into the water as well. "It can't hurt to throw two coins in it now."

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

The fountain is now glowing, the runes on its side have vanished, except for one phrase.

"Drink and be welcomed and protected within my home."

"Sounds like a jolly fellow" says Bacon, clasping his palms into a cup and drinking some gulps from the fountain's water. "Maybe I should pay too? Or is it like, activated already?" Noticing Bronan heading for the opening on the wall, Bacon quickly forgets about the fountain and never waits to feel the effect of the water as he rushes to get behind the hulking barbarian. It was about time they move on.

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4)🕶️s, Cooking (7)🍳Fitness (2)💪💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

As bacon finishes drinking the rest of the shining water in his hands, he cant help but feel dissapointed as he has not noticed any significant changes. He moves to regroup with the rest near the dug out cavern.

As a group they begin to head down the rough path. It gets wider and tighter at random intervals. At times Bronan almost finds himself stuck. However they finally reach the end, and notice a large camp fire. Within it numerous books and pieces of furniture have been used for kindling. A goblin stands guard behind it with a crossbow. He wears fine clothes but they are torn and in rough shape. A bandage covers a large portion of his face. The fire is effectively blocking his view into the darkness of the path you now tread.

Bronan is in the front of the group, with Rowan by his side. Followed by Bacon and Flo. Nas and Gorth as always cover the rear.

Only Bronan and Rowan can see into the room. Bronans immense bulk ensures that all behind him are hidden from sight. The room behind the fireplace has 4 pillars, book cases line the walls. A few tables, chairs, and odd bits of furniture are scattered about. 12 goblins. 8 of which are running around searching through various shelves and bags. They all seem to be injured in some fashion, but all carry weapons. 3 lie on makeshift cots in the far corner near the furthest pillar. 2 sit upright with crossbows close at hand, one appears unconscious. Strangely while all the goblins are bedecked in rather fine clothes there is 1 final goblin who is bedecked in what appears to be fine robes. Across his back a large book is strapped. He is tending to the wounded. Then surprsingly enough he speaks, loud enough so that the entire group can hear.

"There must be something left, at least one of the masters potions must be lying around here somewhere." Said the robed goblin.

"Nothing, those beasts stole the last of our supplies." Said one goblin who was in the middle of ripping open a rather large sack.

"Dammit, without some kind of help hes going to die, where is my brother and the others, he should have found another way out by now." The other goblins begin to look towards him and their search slows. The robed figure was kneeling over the unconscious one.

"Keep searching for anything useful, who knows when those feral goblins will be back."

What do you do?

mapgoblin.jpg

• Like 1

Bronan drops his sack and steps to the side of the fire, where he is in full view of all of the goblins. The flickering light of the flame highlights the mountains and canyons of his rippling muscles as he takes a wide stance, spreads his arms out, and flexes mightily, making himself look huge. He then bellows at the goblins "Drop your weapons, or face the Traps of Trouble!" (Intimidate check: 6[1d20]+2[cha]+4[feat]+1[skill rank]+3[class skill]=14). Just what he had been waiting for, a large audience to witness the beautiful form that Brodin had bestowed upon him!

((OOC: He has no idea we have a healing potion since he was never told. Who knows if he'd have been smart enough to realize the goblins could use it, that they might be good, or even care as all he's interested in is showing off his muscles.))

edit: if needed: initiative:8[1d20]

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

"Bronan, wait! Bronan! Flex, but don't hit…. Yet. Okay?" Flo tries to scramble between the rock and the rock with a name. "Let me get through here. "

Flo places a gentle hand on Bronan's nearest arm and squeezes his muscles hoping to calm him or at least distract him from immediate action. "I for one definitely like your muscles!"

"Ho there, goblin kind. What is the problem? One of you is hurt, ill?"

Flo scans the room as she tries to divert attention away from the hulking mass. If there are treasures around or at least useful items, she wanted to know where.

She stands ready to defend against arrows if need be, but attempts to show openness and compassion for their plight. Regal goblins? How unusual! Flo is excited at such a new discovery. In her 100 plus years, she hadn't ever come across this!

"Perhaps we can be of assistance? Although I'm not entirely sure how. Did that fountain water have any magics that could help?" She tosses the question back behind her hoping Bacon and Rowan can hear her clear enough.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

As Bronan steps up to intimidate the Goblins Rowan pulls out his great sword with a hint of a smile on his face. Rowan takes a step to the other side of the fire to protect bronan's flank.

When he hears Flo call out to the Goblins. Rowan mutters under his breath, "Fool elf what is she doing." Rowan looks over to flo and hears her query. "Why help the tiny goblin men? The only good goblin is a dead one no matter how he is dressed. I would be interested in keeping the one who speaks common alive a bit longer to see what he knows, taking his head off afterwards of course." Rowan does realize the slight irony of what he said as soon as he said it, but shrugs to him self what is done is done.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

"Now THAT is interesting!" remarks Bacon, coming out of the tunnel. "I'm not talking about this man's physique, of course, that's impressive, intimidating perhaps, but interesting would be the situation". He stumbles next to the others, shadowed by Bronan's flexing form. "Have we just discovered a rare subrace of goblinoids that seem to be mildly civilized? Or perhaps the resident wizard turned his servants into goblins? We need some answers here, so speak up or my friends here will make you wish those feral goblins had finished you off!"

Lvl 60 Multitasker

The sudden appearance of a magnificently sculpted warrior such as Bronan surprised the goblin by the fire. He jumped and let out a yelp. Clearly intimidated by the awesome presence of such a being.

As Flo moved to ease his tension the rest of the room started to take notice. 

Rowan steps forward aggressively, causing the goblin and the others in the room to raise what weapons they have. Warily and showing obvious fear. Many are injured and barely seem to be able to lift what weapons they have.

Bacon drawls on about something or other, but the group of goblins is far too intimidated by Bronan's Traps.

Nas and Gorth, as always, prepare for an ambush from the rear. 

It is the robed goblin who speaks first. His eyes glow and intense deep red like flame.

"Fools listen to the big one, put your weapons away. We have not the strength to fight them. Come strange travelers, what little provisions we have are yours. I believe I am right in guessing that you are here to slay Obsidian? You are brave indeed, our master came here seeking to put an end to the beast..."

A solemn mood spreads throughout the room. The robed goblin reaches back and puts his hand on the large book strapped to his back, as if ensuring that it is still there.

"We have lost much, my name is Fights with Words, and I believe we can help each other. I fear that the beast has come here because of our actions. We sought relics crafted by the great wizard who once lived here. Obsidian must have learned of our plans, he arrived first and has destroyed much of what remained... My brother Fights like Beast and a few others went in search of escape. Tell me, did you come from the cave entrance? What of the goblins there? I will try to answer what questions I can, but surely if you came here to slay Obsidian you know what you are getting yourselves into!"

Bacon takes a deep breath and lets out a long sigh. Gnomes can get worse than cats when they don't get the attention they require and he is no different. Bronan has a truly impressive body and Bacon's used to being overshadowed by the larger races, but his Charisma has always carried him through. Plus, the head goblin was so pretentious and grand in its speaking, as if it's an ambassador or something. Boooooriiiiing. The little gnome puts one hand on his waist and uses the other to make a motion that encourages the goblins to keep talking. "Start from the beginning and keep it simple, Nose-in-books. Who is this Obsidian and who is your master?"

Lvl 60 Multitasker

FLO!!! What are you doing?! You're out in front? Are you suddenly feverish! That's what the others are for. Gezz. She chastises herself for being more interested in fancy goblins than her own beautiful hide. The robed one calms her done as the others seem to be following his lead. Oh worry not good sir, you're book is still there. For now...

Flo peers around for concealed doors or hidden creatures possibly missed on their first glances. The other goblins are run-down and already defeated in a spiritual manner. Flo thought to feel sorry for them, but is this not the way of adventure. Some encounters you will lose, and lose badly. She doesn't speak, hoping to veer away any eyes on her. If she could just casually move about until she was close to behind Bronan and Rowan, she would feel much more comfy.

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Bronan lowers his weapon as well when the goblins do, setting the end of his club down in front of him, though he keeps a firm two handed grasp on the handle as the rest of the group speaks. He too wanted to hear of this Obsidian, the black toothed.

500 / 330 / 625

The group settles around a table with the robed goblin Fights with Words. He offers them what little rations he has.

"You mean to tell me you have no idea of the evil you face... I don't know if your extremely brave or foolish. No matter you are here now." he lets out a sigh.

"Master was a great wizard and led us well despite his age. He found us and showed us the proper way to live. Many years we helped him aid those around him. Usually small jobs. Then Obsidian appeared. A Black Dragon so large his shadow engulfs a small village. He breathes corrosion that can melt flesh. We came here seeking relics to aid us with his destruction. The wizard who once lived here, and who is now buried here, crafted numerous artifacts. One of which my master possessed, a necklace that when powered protects those within its field from the dragons corrosive breath. Such stones are used within the defenses of this place.

The other is a sword, forged for the sole purpose of slaying dragonkin. We had hoped to retrieve the sword and a stone before Obsidian discovered this place, but we where too late. He ambushed us within the vault. After digging his way in through the mountain he struck swiftly, destroying not only the artifacts in the vault but many of my kin. We would not have made it out if not for our master. After mustering what power he could to protect us as we fled. He succumbed to his wounds before we could get back here. The dragon has summoned numerous forms of evil to prevent our escape, and to search for the sword, for it was not within the vault.

My brother has not yet returned. The path at the end of this hall will eventually lead you to the vault. He went through the door in the room with the fountain. My brother sought an alternate escape to this place. It is the only other surviving path that we have found. But he has been gone for quite some time. Perhaps you would go search for him? We have not searched this path yet, you may even find the sword."

The goblin looks down into his cup. He tries to hide his fear, for his brother and the rest of his people. But that is not so easily done.

Rowan has been deep in thought when he hears something about a dragon slaying sword being destroyed. "Wait you're telling me this dragon slaying sword was destroyed!" Rowan exclaims interrupting the tiny goblin. Rowan tries, but fails to hide his disdain at speaking to a GOBLIN of all creatures.... "If so that's a damn shame such a weapon would be a blessing to wield." After interrupting the goblin Rowan then hears that that the sword may still be down there. As Rowan listens to the tiny green thing he begins to contemplate his hatred of ALL goblins as this one seems to know how to live with some sort of honor. Rowan starts to feel bad that he rushed in sliced one in half and cut the arm of another off if they lived with a sense of honor and duty.... "Fights with Words could you tell us anything about these creatures of evil this dragon has summoned. I would have never thought this creature would be an actual dragon I've heard they still exist, but I have never seen one or heard of any being seen in recent decades. I am not sure if your brother is still alive, but I am willing to search for him." Despite what Rowan has just said he has no intentions of actively seeking out a goblin to save him despite his recent revelations that some..SOME goblins appear to have the capacity of honor. Rowan is more interested in the dragon slaying sword!

(OOC been really busy with work and travel which is why I didnt post sooner)

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Flo sits near the strange goblin, mostly to be out of his direct line of sight. The story turns odd at the mention of a dragon. A dragon? Oh, this could be bad. If we're gonna do this, we need to get it done before that thing shows up! Oooo... Necklace? Hum... After that, Flo listens only enough to get an idea of the rest of the story.

Flo instead tries to get a closer glimpse of the book on strange goblin's - wait, Fights With Words' back. Maybe the cover and binding would have words or symbols that she could discern. Maybe not, but the idea of that important book in her hands was nearly intoxicating. She surreptitiously eyes the other goblins and wonders if any treasures made it into their sacks and packs.

perception (notice markings) -- 24

appraise (including magical properties) -- 19

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Bronan stands by the others and sternly listens to the little goblin. Obsidian! Black Dragon! What a show of might it would be to slay such a thing! Bronan listens to the rest with great interest, and when the goblin is finished, he is eager to get moving. "Your brother found an escape route, the way we came from is clear. Some of yours were killed by other goblins, your brother might be one of them."

He then turns to the rest of the group. "I will find the sword. I will kill the dragon. The rest of you are welcome to accompany me on this errand."

Turning back to FWW, "Do you have any of the protection stones?"

500 / 330 / 625

Fights with Words answers what questions he can.

"We never found the sword in the vault before we where attacked, the only other pathway we could find is located past a door in the room with the fountain, which you have already passed through to get here."

"We do not have any of the power stones. However there was at least one working device that we found on the alternate path that could possibly still hold one. The necklace itself is still with my masters body however, located outside of the vault."

The goblin looks to Bronan "I do not believe that my brother lies among the fallen. For those who you have found where from our first attempt at escape. My brother went down the alternate path. That is also the only path where the sword may still be recovered, and perhaps you may find a power stone as well."

He looks to Flo,who seems fascinated with the book he has strapped accross his back. Flo notices it is a simple leather bound book, and does not appear magical in any way. The goblin reaches back behind him quickly, then unstraps the book and places it on the table.

"This is the journal of my master, all that I have told you is contained within these pages. It is the only possession he left behind...I am afraid that I have told you everything I know. If you decide to search for the sword and the power stone, please keep an eye out for my brother."

Humph. A journal. Boring indeed. She nods her head respectfully to Fights with Words and looks to the big one. "Hey, are you sure you're ready to do battle with a dragon? Seems strange that one would take any interest in an old place like this. Why did your master leave here anyhow? I mean, until the dragon, this place must have been a piece of paradise for him."

The Way

Better Now than Later On