[Pathfinder] Journeys OOC

Welcome to the Pathfinder Journey's OOC thread here on Nerd Fitness

Current GM - Terinatum

This Out-of-Character thread should be used for:

Questions                  Roll results               Character intentions           IRL notes

and if ever you are in doubt as to whether it should be in the narrative thread.

The Journey will last so long as I can keep up with the story and keep it entertaining. I expect to hear from my players if they are unhappy and frustrated with my work. I can’t improve if I don’t see the problem. Thank you in advance. Others have DM’ed here before me and others will come after.

These adventures are using the Pathfinder system, found here.  Please use the core rulebook. There will be no Prestige or Mythic classes.

Your Character

You are responsible for the creation and maintenance of your character, meaning tracking health and inventory and knowing your bonuses and limits. Feel free to ask other members for help creating your character, we are more than happy to help. When creating your character, if you have an idea of something you want to create but aren't sure if you can, definitely ask first.

You are encouraged to post your character sheet in this thread. I will provide a link to your sheet at the bottom of this post.

The Adventure

I will post something in either this or the story thread. You will then provide a post in the appropriate thread(s). This allows you to form the world through your own eyes and interact with the other characters.

Some Basic Rules

Work as a team!

You cannot determine what other characters do in the world. You cannot say what they think or feel. If you wish to respond to someone’s actions from within the group wait and let them post first.

Remember what kind of character you are playing. Just because you know 5 languages don't mean your character does.

Combat initiative rolls will not determine when you post, but who acts first in combat. This is to ensure that no one has to wait for others to post, but just remember that each of your posts takes place at the same time. It is the same tale from multiple perspectives. Posts, when combat is involved, mean you will be required to post more. Once or twice to give your battle plan in this thread along with your initiative roll and once or more in the Journey thread for your character’s posts.

Formatting Your Post

When posting in character in the adventure thread you can use whatever font/color you wish - something legible. You may wish to delineate thoughts the character is having from thoughts you narrate in the third person. It’s a matter of taste. If you have any OOC footnotes for the adventure thread, it must in parenthesis and at the bottom of the thread. Please try to keep these to a minimum. If you have a question please use this thread.

Injecting Characters with Character

With each post, I give you the opportunity to see the world through your character’s eyes. I am giving you the opportunity to elaborate on aspects of the world that have an effect on your character and your group.

If you interact with something and in the OOC thread I say "you push a button, things glow, and a door opens" you are open to interpret that and expand it as much as you want. Also, you may create scenarios with minor characters in the world, and perhaps even create your own (within reason). This will generally only take place in transition posts. Though if you do encounter a group during an adventure you can certainly ask if you can come up with some banter.

Remember when in doubt ASK!

What to Include in Narrative

If the content you "create" will affect the world in any significant way it is a no go (like killing an NPC or making a character responsible for certain events not included with this story)

The content must not distract from the story.

If I create a character, do not play them.

As I said, you will have the freest reign with this during the transition posts, which are an opportunity for your characters to interact, bond, and explore back stories.

Missing Posts

Missing 3 DM posts in a row will get your character removed from the game in some fashion. If you are going out of town or know you are going to be unable to post please let me know. I will write it so that you can keep up with the adventure. Real life does take precedence and at no point will you get kicked from the game because of it so long as I know about your absence.

Lastly, your rolls are done on the honor system. I’m not your granny. If you want to cheat on your rolls that’s up to you. If I question your honesty and/or your cheating gets in the way of my campaign, you’ll feel my wrath clearly. This is not a game about winning.

Character Sheets

Bronan the Barbellion

Bacon the Sorcerer

Tvar Ondax

Quavyn

Markus

Henry

On Standby

Oramac the Silent

Flo

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

*vomits character* Hopefully it looks OK? I only put skills I actually have.

Gorth Firebeard:

Strength 14 (+2)

Dexterity 16 (+3)

Constitution 19 (+4)

Intelligence 10 (+0)

Wisdom 15 (+2)

Charisma 6 (-2)

Total Hit Points: 15

Speed: 20 feet

Armor Class: 17 = 10 + 4 [chain shirt] + 3 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 13

Flat-footed: 14

Initiative modifier: 3 = + 3 [dexterity]

Fortitude save: 6 = 2 [base] + 4 [constitution]

Reflex save: 3 = 0 [base] + 3 [dexterity]

Will save: 2 = 0 [base] + 2 [wisdom]

Attack (handheld): 3 = 1 [base] + 2 [strength]

Attack (missile): 4 = 1 [base] + 3 [dexterity]

Feats:

Two Weapon Fighting

Exotic Weapon: Dwarven Urgrosh

Skills:

Knowledge (dungeoneering) Int 4 = 0 1

Knowledge (engineering) Int 4 = 0 1

3 lb Arrows (quiver of 20) x1

5 lb Throwing daggers x5

2 lb Backpack

5 lb Bedroll

3 lb Blanket, winter x1

Candle

Chalk

3 lb Flasks x2

Flint and steel

2 lb Hammer

1 lb Lamp (common)

1 lb Mirror

1 lb Mug

2 lb Oil flasks x2

10 lb Pick

10 lb Pot

1 lb Pouch x2

5 lb Rations (1 day) x5

20 lb Rope (50', hempen) x2

10 lb Sledge

8 lb Spade / shovel

4 lb Torches x4

8 lb Waterskins x2

1 lb Whetstone

_____

151 lb Total

-Purple_Panda

For the beginner journey I am not going to worry about weight so much. I am going to trust that everyone will keep a respectable amount of gear since its only just the start.

With my friends we played the arrows and spells this way. During an engagement you are limited to the number of arrows in your quiver, and spells that you can prepare per day. But once that engagement is over, you get a full quiver back and your spells "re-charge". So it's kind of like a mana thing for wizards, and the idea that you can recover arrows. 

What are peoples thoughts on this?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

BAM! BOOM! BACON!

Race: Gnome

Class/Level: Sorcerer 1

Alignment: Chaotic good

Hit points: 8

Armor Class: 13 = 10+1(Size)+2(DEX)

Initiative: +2 (DEX)

Attacks: Small longspear +0 (1d6, X3, brace, reach)

Small light crossbow +2 (1d6 dmg, 19-20/X2, 80ft.)

STR         10 (12-2)

DEX        15

CON       14(12+2)

INT         14

WIS        11

CHA       17 (15+2)

Gnome traits

·         Small size (+1 AC, +1 attack, -1 CMD and CMB, +4 Stealth)

·         Slow Speed (20ft)

·         Low-light vision

·         Defensive training (+4 AC vs giants)

·         Gnome magic (+1 DC to illusion spells, 1/day: dancing lights, ghost sound, prestigidation, speak with animals, caster level equal to character level, DC 10+spell level+CHA mod)

·         Hatred (+1 attack against goblinod and reptilian foes)

·         Illusion resistance (+2 to saves)

·         Keen senses (+2 Perception)

·         Obsessive (+2 to Craft or Profession of choice)

·         Weapon familiarity (gnome)

·         Languages: Common, Gnome, Sylvan, Draconic, Goblin

Base Attack Bonus: +0

Saves

Fortitude: +2 = 0(base)+2(CON)

Reflex: +2 = 0(base)+2(DEX)

Will: +2 = 2(base)+0(WIS)

Skills

Knowledge (arcana) +3 = 1(rank)+2(INT)

Knowledge (nature) +2 = 0(rank)+2(INT)

Perception +2(Keen Senses)

Profession (cook) +5 = 1(rank)+2(INT)+2(Obsessive)

Spellcraft +3 = 1(rank)+2(INT)

Use Magic Device +4 = 1(rank)+3(CHA)

Feats: Arcane Strike, Eschew Materials, Simple Weapon Proficiency, Fey Bloodline (+2 DC to compulsion spells, Laughing Touch (Sp): At 1st level, you can cause a creature to burst out laughing for 1 round as a melee touch attack. A laughing creature can only take a move action but can defend itself normally. Once a creature has been affected by laughing touch, it is immune to its effects for 24 hours. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This is a mind-affecting effect.)

Equipment (rolled 50gp):

Small longspear (5gp, 1d6 dmg, X3 crit, 9lbs, brace, reach)

Small light crossbow (35gp, 1d6 dmg, 19-20/X2, 80ft., 4lbs)

10 Crossbow bolts (1gp, 1lb)

Backpack (2gp, 2lb)

Bedroll (1sp, 5lb)

Blanket, winter (5sp, 3lbs)

Iron Pot (8sp, 4lbs)

Rope, hemp 50ft (1gp, 10lbs)

Waterskin (1gp, 4lbs)

Entertainer’s Outfit (3gp, 4lbs)

1gp, 6sp, 46 lbs carried

Spells Known (4/2)

Level 0: Detect Magic, Light, Touch of Fatigue, Message

Level 1: Mage Armor, Color Spray

Spells/day(Cantrips at will, 3+1 lvl 1 spells)

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1),  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6), Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

For the beginner journey I am not going to worry about weight so much. I am going to trust that everyone will keep a respectable amount of gear since its only just the start.

With my friends we played the arrows and spells this way. During an engagement you are limited to the number of arrows in your quiver, and spells that you can prepare per day. But once that engagement is over, you get a full quiver back and your spells "re-charge". So it's kind of like a mana thing for wizards, and the idea that you can recover arrows. 

What are peoples thoughts on this?

As long as a character has enough STR to carry this/her armor and weapons, I don't bother any further. Usually it gets overboard with loot. Gems and scrolls are fine, but try and take 6 chainmail armors of the guys you just killed in order to sell them back in town, that's a no (unless you bothered to bring a pack mule or cart along).

Spells I usually go by the book, although I've looked for a "mana system" for occasions where the wizard prefers to cast several magic missiles instead of a fireball, for example. Full spell re-charge after each combat sounds a bit overpowered for my liking. As for arrows, it's a decent system. If my players bothered to scavenge the battlefield, I'd roll a % die for how many they get back, accounting for arrows lost/broken/stuck etc.

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1),  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6), Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

I usually ask for equipment locations to start and that gives me an idea of how much 'space' they may have for treasure/additional items. I always got a kick out of the treasures in AD&D Ed.1 -- 4,000 copper pieces - really?

I'm use to scavenging my arrows. I can roll % so you don't have to do that, but 100% back seems too generous. Although I rarely play magic-users, I agree that a full recharge is too much as well.

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Rowan

Male Human Fighter 1
Lawful Neutral

Strength 19 

Dexterity 15 

Constitution 15 

Intelligence 11 

Wisdom 13

Charisma 

Size: Medium

Height: 5' 11"

Weight: 220 lb

Eyes: Hazel

Hair: Black Straight; Thick Beard

Skin: Pale

Total Hit Points: 12

Speed: 20 feet

Armor Class: 18 = 10 + 5 [chainmail] + 1 [light wooden] + 2 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 12
Flat-footed: 16

Initiative modifier: + 2 = + 2 [dexterity]

Fortitude save: + 4 = 2 [base] + 2 [constitution]

Reflex save: + 2 = 0 [base] + 2 [dexterity]

Will save: + 1 = 0 [base] + 1 [wisdom]

Attack (handheld): + 5 = 1 [base] + 4 [strength]

Attack (missile): + 3 = 1 [base] + 2 [dexterity]

Combat Maneuver Bonus: + 5 = 1 [base] + 4 [strength]

Combat Maneuver Defense: + 17 = 10 + 1 [base] + 4 [strength] + 2 [dexterity]

Skills

Climb 2

Heal   3

Knowledge (dungeoneering) 4

Perception 1

Sense motive 1

Survival 7

Swim 2

Feats:

Power Attack: Take penalty on attack for larger bonus on damage

Cleave: One attack, AC-2, make additional attack if first one hits

Self-Sufficient: +2 on heal and survival

Rowan's Equipment:

Backpack
Bedroll
Candle
Chalk
Fishing net
Flasks x2
Flint and steel
Grappling hook
Lamp (common)
Mirror
Oil flasks x1
Rope (50', hempen) x1
Waterskins x2
Whetstone
Total: 99Lbs

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

"Flo"  Mystaflovon

Race: Elf

Class/Level: Rogue 1

Alignment: Neutral

Hit points: 7

Armor Class: 14   Flatfoot: 10   Touch: 14

Initiative: +4

CMB +4 (light weapons) and -1 on others

CMD +13

Base Attack Bonus: +0

STATS

STR       9    (-1)

DEX     18    (+4)

CON     11   (0)

INT       13   (+1)

WIS      14   (+2)

CHA     10   (0)

Traits/Special Abilities

Low vision = human x2

Immune to Sleep Spells

+2 vs. Enchantment

Sneak Attack

Trap finding

Saves

Fortitude: +0

Reflex: +4

Will: +2

Skills

Acrobatics +7

Appraise +5

Disable Device +8

Linguistics +5

Perception +8

Sense Motive +6

Sleight of Hand +8

Stealth +8

Use Magic Device +4

Feat

Weapon finesse -- use Dex mod vs. Str mod w/ light weapons to attack

Weapons

Long Bow                     (+4 Dex, +2 Elf)

Quiver w/ 20 arrows  (sm. 1d6, med.1d8, crit x3, range 100 ft., 3lbs)

Sap                               (sm. 1d4, med. 1d6, nonlethal, crit x2, 2lbs, B))

Unarmed Strike           (sm. 1d2, med. 1d3 nonlethal -- Dex modifier for attack w/ feat)

Equipment

Monk's Outfit

Sashes -- holding outfit together -- (outfit's sashes can be used as short ropes)

Loose breeches -- wearing

Loose shirt -- on body

Soft leather boots -- on feet

EDIT: utility/kitchen knife

Thief's tools in Belt Pouch #1 -- left hip

Caltrops x2 -- both on back of left hip

Signal Whistle -- in pocket of breeches

Backpack

Merchant's Scale -- in backpack -- +2 circumstance Appraise checks

sandals -- in backpack

Chalk 1 pc -- in backpack

Flint & Steel -- in backpack

Bedroll -- in backpack

Rations -- 7 -- in backpack

Waterskin (1gp, 4lbs) -- right hip

Hunk of cheese -- 1-- belt pouch #2 right of center

Loaf of bread -- 1-- belt pouch #2 right of center

Empty belt pouch -- back of right hip

Coins 4gps. 6 sps. 3 cps. -- in pouch in backpack (wrapped tight to avoid making noise)

Physical Description

Female

Age 113

Ht 5'9" Wt 108 lbs

Eyes purple/grey

Hair copper (shoulder length)

Languages -- common, elven, gnome

The Way

Better Now than Later On

Ok, I think I got it....did not include total weight or exact location, but can if needed.

Name: Naz

Race: Elf

Class/Level: Cleric 1

Alignment: Neutral Good

Hit points: 8

STR: 15 (+2)

DEX: 20 (+5)

CON: 11

INT: 10

WIS: 16 (+3)

CHA: 10

Armor Class: 19 = 10+5(Dex)+3(Armor)+1(Buckler)

Initiative: +5 (Dex)

Base Attack Bonus:

-Ranged: +5 (Dex) Bows: +7 = 5(Dex)+2(Elf Bow skill)

-Melee: +2 (Str)

Saves:

-Fortitude: 0

-Reflex: +5 (Dex)

-Will: +3 (Wis)

Speed: 40 = 30ft (base)+10(Travel Domain)

Skills:

-Heal: 4 = 1+3(Wis)

-Spellcraft: 1

Feats: Point Blank Shot

Diety: Desna

Domains:

-Luck: Bit of Luck

-Travel: Agile Feet

Spells Prepped:

Level 0: Detect Magic, Light x2

Level 1: Bless x2, Trueshot (Domain slot)

Weapons:

Long Bow                              1d8, crit x3, range 100ft, 3 lbs.

-Quiver w/ 30 arrows: 20 standard, 10 silver tipped 

Starknife                               1d4, crit x3, 3 lbs.

Dagger x3                             1d4, crit 19-20/x2, 1lb

Armor:

Studded Leather Armor    +3AC, +5 Dex Bonus, 20 lbs.

Buckler                                  +1AC, 5 lbs.

Equipment Carried:

Belt

Leather boots

Belt Pouch x4

Caltrops x2

Flask of oil

Flask of water

Flint and steal

Tindertwig x5

Holy symbol (Silver)

Vial of holy water

Equipment in Backpack:

Bedroll

Rations x7

Waterskin x2 - wine

Waterskin - water

Flask of oil x4

Torch x2

Hooded Lantern

50ft Hemp rope

Cleric Vestments

Candles

Spade

Scroll Case x2

Coins:

-Carried: 2 gps. 20 sps. 10 cps

-Backpack: 2gps. 30 sps. 25 cps

Tick, Tick, Tick, BOOM!!!

I forget to bring my work computer home and it has my character sheet on it. I will update this post as I remember the pertinent info.

Bronan the Barbellian

True neutral barbarian

Height: 6'4"

Weight: 320 lb

Hp:13

Lvl: 1

Strength: 19 (+4 mod)= 17 base +2 (human)

Dexterity: 11 (+0)

Con: 13 (+1)

Wisdom: 11 (+0)

Intelligence: 9 (-1)

Charisma: 15 (+2)

Skill/total

Intimidate=+10= 1 (1 rank) + 3 (class skill) + 4 (intimidating prowess) + 2 (charisma)

Perform(bodybuilding? Posing?)= +3= 1 (1 rank) + 2 (charisma)

Feats

Intimidating prowess (lvl 1 feat)

Power attack (human bonus)

Gear

War hammer

Mace, heavy

Greatmace

Heavy spiked steel shield

Sack

-winter blanket

-hemp rope

-waterskin

-bedroll

-sunrod x5

belt pouch

-gold x36

-silver x8

Belt pouch

-flint and steel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

With order of posting it's really hard to go turn by turn. I have always seen it work best with everyone posting and the DM piecing the story together. Even for combat, everyone posts their intent each round then the DM rolls initiative and pieces it together. Some of those moderated thread links I posted have very good examples of this.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

GM Question:

I'm confused about the number of feats to start with at level 1.

My hit dice atm is 1d8. Do I get 1 for the actual hit die or do I roll a d8 for the number of feats or is it something else entirely?

Thanks for helping along. Getting familiar with this system is a little confusing, but I'm getting there.

The Way

Better Now than Later On

GM Question:

I'm confused about the number of feats to start with at level 1.

My hit dice atm is 1d8. Do I get 1 for the actual hit die or do I roll a d8 for the number of feats or is it something else entirely?

Thanks for helping along. Getting familiar with this system is a little confusing, but I'm getting there.

I believe it is one per dice. Ill double check in the morning. Too lazy to check right now.

• Like 1

It's 1 every odd level, so you start with one. It's covered on the character advancement table in the class section. Humans get a bonus feat at first level.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

Skill/total

Intimidate=+10= 1 (1 rank) + 3 (class skill) + 4 (intimidating prowess) + 2 (charisma)

Perform(bodybuilding? Posing?)= +3= 1 (1 rank) + 2 (charisma)

Feats

Intimidating prowess (lvl 1 feat)

126570_o.gif

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Yep.

500 / 330 / 625

Next story block is up. I think everybody posted at least...

• Like 1

What dice do we use for initiative? I used 10 this time and will keep the 1 regardless, but wanted to make sure this was right.

500 / 330 / 625

What dice do we use for initiative? I used 10 this time and will keep the 1 regardless, but wanted to make sure this was right.

d20 plus your initiative bonus.

I expected the "do you even lift" joke at some point, but calling the dwarf "halfbro" cracked me up :D

Lvl 60 Multitasker