How to recover from an all-nighter?

Hello there!

So after having night terrors for a few nights, I had the worst one so far last night and, at 1am, just couldn't get back to sleep again. Its now only 8am and I already have all of the tell-tale symptoms that I get when having done all-nighters in the past; the sickly stomach feeling, not sure if I'm either really hungry or if food looks disgusting, inability to concentrate, feeling light and heavy headed at the same time.

Anyways, so having put my body through an all-nighter, or so it is acting like, I just want to sit and eat junk food all day to give me bursts of energy. I'd love hot chocolate or chocolate cake... or maybe just to make my own chocolate cake and eat the mix on its own...

Ugh. Its not even cravings. I've gotten past cravings, for the most part, and have been doing so well in not eating candy this challenge - my main game boss to be defeated. My body just craves a huge energy boost.

Any tips on recovering without going nuts for hot chocolate and chocolate cake? Golly, that sounds so good...

Ps. I don't really like coffee but I love iced-coffee. I don't have any in though. I'll go for a walk to my local to see but I don't think they sell any of those iced coffee cup things but I doubt they do. 

~Thank you, guys!

*yawns*

:)

Level 0 Elf

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

"It's not safe out here.

It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross;

but it's not for the timid"

Stay hydrated, and sneak a good short workout in. Get some chocolate/toffee dusted almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds, or beef jerky on you. And go ahead and have some hot chocolate, just don't go crazy on the sugar.

I pull all-nighters quite often, and one obviously bad idea (which I did anyway) is a 24-hour fast.

More of a hangover aid, but it might prove helpful - sip on Gatorade to take the edge off.  I usually cut mine with ice and ice water so it's not just pure sugar-water.  Aspirin or Tylenol - one tab, if your stomach can handle anything solid.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Congrats on doing well for the challenge! Candy and sugar do actually make things worse - either you eat a bit of candy and enjoy the temporary boost + the crash later, or you guzzle sugary things throughout the day, which is hardly healthy :( Things that might help: plenty of water, tea (green tea or other all-natural teas, unsweetened - although if you must, add a bit of honey), fruits and nuts. If you can, try a power nap of 5-10 minutes, but make sure you have a) multiple alarms to wake you up or B) sufficiently loud ones. Try to avoid coffee - caffeine and its effects do tend to stop working after a while, and chugging coffee throughout the day = risk of caffeine overdose. (Leaf teas still have caffeine, but significantly less than coffee: in order of increasing caffeine content, it's white tea -> green tea -> red tea -> black tea -> coffee) Other than that, though, there really isn't much...splash water on your face, do something that requires a certain level of attention / focus, bash through the the day with sheer force of willpower... :(

This is less of helping you survive the day, but rather about trying to minimise the all-nighter's effect on your sleep schedule - don't take extended naps! It's a little easier to go back to your normal sleep schedule if you flop back in bed at the usual time (even if it is hell trying to get through the day) compared to if you take a nap after an all-nighter.

I hope the night terrors ease up soon! And I hope this advice helps :) all the best!

Apples! An apple can wake you up like a cup of coffee can, so they say. No points on WW for just an apple and you get all those good nutrients!

Why has no one else thought of this already?

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3

An apple can wake you up like a cup of coffee can, so they say.

Anyone have any idea where this originated from? I doubt there's any caffeine in apples, therefore I don't see it waking up someone like a cup of coffee does (i.e. via caffeine). I personally think it's the effort one has to put in eating said apple that keeps a person eating it awake.