Found a Kitty

So I was dropping the goblins off at preschool today and there was a little kitten hanging out on the playground.  All the parents waiting in line were telling their kids to leave it alone.  They seemed overly concerned that if any of their kids touched it, it would become attached and follow them around and want to go home with them.  No one was paying any attention to this poor little kitten.  It was like 45 degrees out.  So I said "Maddy, Sam, go pet that kitten." 

I'm allergic to cats.  But I picked him/her up and started cuddling it.  Nothing but purrs.  For all practical purposes, I am now referring to the cat as a him, although I don't know how to identify the sex of a kitten.  I think it's fairly obvious with older cats but this one could go either way.  Whatever.  I cuddled with him and pet him, the kids were all over him.  Sam asked if I was going to take the cat home.  I told kids I was going to take the cat in to the office to figure out where to take him.

The preschool teacher, upon seeing the cat, immediately blurted out "I'm deathly allergic, get that thing away from me."  So I took him to the office.  I told the secretary that I had found him on the playground, and she felt bad for him.  When I asked "Is there any reason I couldn't take him home with me?"  she responded "No, there's absolutely no reason you couldn't take him home."  We agreed that if someone came asking about the kitten, she would call me.

So I got in the van and drove home.  The kitten climbed up onto my shoulders and rode home perched on me, purring th whole way, watching out the window.  I know my wife loves cats and we didn't ever plan on getting one because of my allergies, but it was freaking cold out, and this cat was all alone, and bla bla emotions bla.  So I get home and go upstairs to wake her up, and say "April, don't be mad but I found this kitten and I love him."  He crawled across the bed and started cuddling up with her.  She likes cats too much to be upset.  She did however make me post an ad on craigslist. 

I was very careful with the ad, stating only that I found a 'cat', and where I found it, and if anyone thinks that maybe I found their cat, to please send me a thorough description and maybe a picture.  I'm not dumb enough to describe the cat only to have some creep say "Yep it's mine" then take it home and eat it or something.  I'm typing this with the kitten sitting in my lap purring.

I don't care if this makes me sound like a giant sissy.  This kitten is great and being that we live in a giant urban sprawl I doubt anyone will come looking for him.  I'm already kind of attached, which sucks, but whatever. 

Just wanted to share this.

• Like 17

The parents probably just didn't want to deal with their kids begging them to keep it later. Also, both my parents told me when I was little to stay away from stray cats, because they might be carrying diseases, and if it was a kitten, the very protective mother may be nearby.

It sounds cruel, but I really don't think those kids parents were being jerks.

The parents probably just didn't want to deal with their kids begging them to keep it later. Also, both my parents told me when I was little to stay away from stray cats, because they might be carrying diseases, and if it was a kitten, the very protective mother may be nearby.

It sounds cruel, but I really don't think those kids parents were being jerks.

Jerks, I say! Ok, I see your point. Maybe don't send your kids over to pet/handle/lick the kitten (or do, and use it as a lesson in not licking kittens and thoroughly washing up afterwards!) but to do absolutely nothing just seems cold-hearted and semi-jerkish. Feel like it's so indicative of the 'not my business' epidemic in our society.

Your point about the mother cat is a good one. If you find a stray kitten, it's always good to consider where mama might be. Both for your safety, and to ensure you aren't accidentally committing a cat-napping. Especially if there's a lot of brush nearby, lil one could easily have just wandered away from the rest of the crew. But it's unusual for a small kitten to be all alone in the middle of an open area for any extended period of time.

1. I think you did the right thing! And obviously so does Mr/s Kitten because s/he purred the whole way home.

2. Take that kitten to a vet! You need to see how old it is so you know what to feed it. And also... I hate to be a debbie downer but... when I was a kid, I had a friend who lived on a big farm and there were tons of cats that lived in the barns. We found some adorable kittens and no mother to be found. So we took them all to the vet only to find out they were all sick and were all put down. It was awful. So take this little guy to get a checkup and make sure s/he's happy and healthy.

EDIT:

A stray kitten showed up at our office one day and I rode around for hours with the executive assistant trying to find some place that would take this kitten. Because we'd just found her and weren't owners giving her up, none of the cat shelters (we tried 3 different places!) we went to would take her. And I couldn't take her, she was so tiny and needed so much care and I work all day. So we ended up giving her to the pound and it was awful. It was a really awful experience and I knew at the back of my mind that she had a slim chance :(

And of course, when I got back to the office, one of the biggest jerks I work with came over and proceeded to tell me that I didn't do enough, and that she was going to be euthanized. I definitely had a good cry in the bathroom after that one. Thanks jerk.

EDIT EDIT:

Now I can't wait to go home and snuggle my kitties (who were rescued).

• Like 2

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

And where was the biggest office jerk when the kitten needed a home?  

Yeah, my response can't be repeated here.

• Like 1

Good on you, shortgorilla.

Story time: my father and I found a sick, scared kitten under a car, crying, when I was about 10.  Half the kitten's fur was missing and one eye was swollen shut, but the moment I called her (gender discerned later) she came, and instead of going for a bike ride as planned, we went immediately to a nearby vet.  I recognize in retrospect that we were completely flat-ass broke at the time, but my dad didn't hesitate for a moment.  After treatment for lice, an eye infection, and a few other things, this malnourished baby, too young to be alone, came home with us, and we took care of her and loved her and she was my steadfast companion for the next 16 years.  She used to follow me around any time I went to play outside, trotting after me like a little dog or something.  We all loved her so much and she had a wonderful, happy life with us.

I have a cat allergy by the way... doesn't matter.  Washing hands often and taking care to keep the cat well-groomed will go a long way.  I guess what I'm saying, other than "good job," is that I hope you get to keep your new friend and love him/her a long time.

PS: Helping a creature in need doesn't make you a giant sissy.  It makes you a badass and a good human.  So there.

• Like 5

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I will see if I can post a picture from my phone later. 

I've been washing my hands constantly, and so far the only reaction I've had is from the kitten's claws on my legs.  My wife is trying to give me a hard time about the kitten but it's hard for her to do so with it curled up in her lap sleeping.  So far I haven't seen or heard a thing about the previous owners.  There's a ton of missing cats on craigslist though. 

I am now pretty sure that the kitten is female.  She likes riding around on my shoulders, and she was perched there while I was using the computer this morning.  I'm not even a cat person.  Of course my goblins are all in love with her.  And my wife snapped a picture of her curled up with the dog sleeping.  I probably fed her too much today but she acted like she was starving so I let her go to town.  Probably picking up cat supplies tomorrow.  :tiger:

• Like 3

My grandfather has cat allergies, but loves cats. Every time he's gotten new one over the years, the allergies slowly go away, or at least reduce drastically, for that specific cat over time.

Loving cats doesn't make you a sissy, just a cat person. I'm one, and my wife's entire family of 6'2"-6'4" dirt bike riding, car fixin' men are too.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I will see if I can post a picture from my phone later. 

I've been washing my hands constantly, and so far the only reaction I've had is from the kitten's claws on my legs.  My wife is trying to give me a hard time about the kitten but it's hard for her to do so with it curled up in her lap sleeping.  So far I haven't seen or heard a thing about the previous owners.  There's a ton of missing cats on craigslist though. 

I am now pretty sure that the kitten is female.  She likes riding around on my shoulders, and she was perched there while I was using the computer this morning.  I'm not even a cat person.  Of course my goblins are all in love with her.  And my wife snapped a picture of her curled up with the dog sleeping.  I probably fed her too much today but she acted like she was starving so I let her go to town.  Probably picking up cat supplies tomorrow.  :tiger:

This makes me all warm and fuzzy inside, like a kitten!!

What do your kiddos think?? Any names yet?

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

Jealousy abounds! I also desire kitty pictures. (And also to go snuggle my parents' four kitties, all of whom used to be feral/strays.)

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

No names yet.  We are still talking about it, but it's looking like we probably can't keep her for the simple fact that we have no good place to keep the litter box.  It sucks, because I'm already really fond of her, and so are the kids.  My wife is too, but she also has to deal with the cat trying to steal food all day which is amusing (but don't tell her I said that).

No good place to keep a litter box? We've done bathrooms, basements, bedrooms, underneath side tables. You gotta figure a place out for the kitty!

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I've done the same. Bathrooms and basements are the most common. Friend of the families has it in the basement and then installed a cat door in the door so they could still keep the basement door closed, but the cat can get to her litterbox. I've also seen people stick it in the corner of a living room and then put a folding screen in that corner so it blocks it from sight but the cats can still get to it. They also make table like furniture that you can stick the box in but it's hidden from view, but has easy access.

I also recommend getting a litter genie. Love mine! It's a diaper genie, but for litter. I'm sure if you have an old diaper genie you can just use that.

I love when people take in strays like you have. I hope you figure something out so you can keep her/him.

• Like 1

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

We don't have a great spit either, so we got a covered box and keep it right in the dining room. We have this version: http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-Self-Cleaning-Litter-Pewter/dp/B005E2S77C/ref=zg_bs_2975299011_1 - it's so easy to sift.

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

We decided to keep her.  We're keeping the box in the basement, she's already figured out where it is and that she needs to ask to go down there.  She's a flippin' smart kitten. 

• Like 2

Awwwwwww! That's so cute!

I'm so glad you took her in and looked after her. We "rescued" a kitten when I was a little girl, less than 5 years old, and we had her until I was about 20. :)

Ps. I find it hilariously funny that someone as hairy as you is allergic to animals. My boyfriend's the same. Seriously, he could give you a run for your money in the hairy back stakes, and he's seriously allergic too. "How????" I ask him, "You've got more hair than the cat does!"

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Awwwwwww! That's so cute!

I'm so glad you took her in and looked after her. We "rescued" a kitten when I was a little girl, less than 5 years old, and we had her until I was about 20. :)

Ps. I find it hilariously funny that someone as hairy as you is allergic to animals. My boyfriend's the same. Seriously, he could give you a run for your money in the hairy back stakes, and he's seriously allergic too. "How????" I ask him, "You've got more hair than the cat does!"

People are actually allergic to the dander, or old dry skin that comes off. We have dander too, it's the main component of the dust in our houses if I'm not mistaken.

500 / 330 / 625