NaNoWriMo?

I'm in!  I've done it a few times in the past 5 or 6 years but never actually knew about NaNoWriMo.org! I think I stumbled across the subreddit at some point and just set my own word goals -- this site is definitely going to make it much easier to keep track than copying and pasting from GoogleDocs into wordcounter.com!

I have an idea that I've been thinking about that'd be perfect for NaNoWriMo's 50K word count even if the idea isn't a traditional "novel" idea; well, it might be, depending on your definition of traditional, I guess!

I'm really stoked for it, but also a little nervous for the start -- I'm going to see Phish in Las Vegas (first time in Vegas!) for Halloween and the first two nights of November, but I already have my bluetooth keyboard and iPad Mini ready to go!  I'd deffo be down for more people to chat with and exchange encouragements!

Oh, I'm also hwedwards over there too!

• Like 1

LEVEL 0 - Bosmer Ranger

STR: 0 -- DEX: 0 -- STA: 0 -- CON: 0 -- WIS: 0 -- CHA: 0

Level 1 Challenge Thread

“Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.†- Al Swearengen

I Write Stuff

Just trying to come up with good disasters that will also develop the characters and their major relationships.

Thank you!! My planning has hit a bump and you inspired me.  Having a nice industrial accident in the middle of my story will be a good thing. And it ill fit in with my story.

• Like 1

Level 8 : Wizard Blacksmith 

[ STR 6 | DEX 6 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 10 | CHA 4 ]

Jakkals, 2019 nommer 3

Spoiler

Adapt yourself to the things among which your lot has been cast

and love sincerely the fellow creatures with whom destiny has

ordained that you shall live.

-Marcus Aurelius

I think the motto over there is "No Plot? No Problem!"

Well, I now have an idea for the sort of world I want this to take place in and a sketchy idea for a main character (at least her general occupation).

I still haven't worked out a plot, but I spent a lot of yesterday doing research and brainstorming the sorts of problems that would exist in the world and that my character could be working toward solving as well as some of the struggles the people in that world would face. I still haven't figured out what the central conflict will be.

I still haven't created an account on the NaNoWriMo website. I did check it out and determined that it's fine to brainstorm and take notes before the start date. It's not cheating if you only count things written during the month of November, but I think I'd like to know where the story would go before I start.

Level 9 Amazon Druid
STR : 17 | DEX : 23 | STA : 22 | CON : 23 | WIS : 21 | CHA : 15
Challenges: 10, 9, 8, 7.1, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.1, 3, 2, 1
Battle Log

Well, I now have an idea for the sort of world I want this to take place in and a sketchy idea for a main character (at least her general occupation).

I still haven't worked out a plot, but I spent a lot of yesterday doing research and brainstorming the sorts of problems that would exist in the world and that my character could be working toward solving as well as some of the struggles the people in that world would face. I still haven't figured out what the central conflict will be.

I still haven't created an account on the NaNoWriMo website. I did check it out and determined that it's fine to brainstorm and take notes before the start date. It's not cheating if you only count things written during the month of November, but I think I'd like to know where the story would go before I start.

Yup, outlining beforehand is even encouraged.  I mean, there are the outliners and the pantsers (as in, write by the seat of your pants)... I've been both, and outlining is easier!!!!

OH wow, i have always wanted to do NaNoWriMo any tips for a first timer?

I've only done NaNo once, but I've written a looooooooooooooooooot of fiction, much of it long.  The best advice I can offer is to let your characters drive, and make sure they interest you as people.  Dragging uninteresting people through a plot (no matter how clever) makes for a dull story.  My second bit of advice is to not go back to edit on a first draft, and to write a set amount every day, even if you think you're contradicting something from earlier (you'll fix it in the edit phase) and even if you feel like what you're writing is crap.  Sometimes, it's like waiting for hot water to come out of the faucet on a cold day - you have to wait out the crap because the good prose is coming along behind it... but if you don't write the crap, it'll never come out at all.

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I joined the site the other day, but I want to check on this.  Are we uploading our story to the website, or just putting in our word count? I think it's just word count from what I'm reading but wanted to be sure.

Just wordcount (and summary, if you want).  If you posted it free online and you tried to get it published, you couldn't. ;)

I might give interested parties access to view my gdoc though, because I do like input!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

I joined the site the other day, but I want to check on this.  Are we uploading our story to the website, or just putting in our word count? I think it's just word count from what I'm reading but wanted to be sure.

Do you mean here or on NaNo?  Because in order to "win" NaNo, you do have to upload your text for an official word count, but you are allowed to scramble it so no one steals your genius.  There are directions on how to do this somewhere in NaNo, maybe the FAQ?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Ah, yes, here are my people.  I love NaNo and I look forward to it every year.  So does my husband - it means he can pretty much go out and do whatever he wants because I'm staring at a computer screen all the time.

I'm currently waffling between two plot lines, and neither of them are really pulling me in one direction or another.  I think I'm going to take a peek at the Adopt a Plot forums when the site relaunches to see if something really sparks my interest.  

• Like 1

6th kyu in Aikido

I write stuff in my spare time

I love Star Trek

Devyn started a NF NaNoWriMo group on Facebook - let her or me know if you want in!

Sent from my iPhone using A Radioactive Potato!

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Yes please!! I am facebook.com/sara.jks (because apparently my name is pretty common and people can never find me on FB!)

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

It's common enough that we have the same name, although I've never met another one personally :P

SERIOUSLY?! I'm always amazed at how common it is!!!

Fun fact, there's a girl in the next city who shares both my first name and my surname. I've lost job interviews over it cause they try to claim I lied on my resume/application.

Apparently my first + last name combo are pretty popular in the South... when I moved to NC I had a heck of a time opening a bank account because people with my name were already in their system like gangbusters! I was like... no, that's not me... not that one either... I'm new!!!

One of my nephews shares the same first, middle and last name, birthday, birth hospital, and doctor with another kid.  After a year of missed appointments and bills going out to the wrong parents, and insurance issues the doctor's office finally started getting it right.  They're not looking forward to what's going to happen when he starts kindergarten in a couple of years. 

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

Reading all of this, I am pleased to have an unusual/unspellable name.  At least no one ever confuses me with anyone else........

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

One of my nephews shares the same first, middle and last name, birthday, birth hospital, and doctor with another kid.  After a year of missed appointments and bills going out to the wrong parents, and insurance issues the doctor's office finally started getting it right.  They're not looking forward to what's going to happen when he starts kindergarten in a couple of years.

I knew twins once with that problem. Their parents thought it would be cute to give them matching names like "Jon" and "Jonathan" (names changed to protect the innocent), and of course they had the same birth date and SSN only one digit apart. It was a logistical nightmare, because the insurance company insisted Jon was just a nickname for Jonathan.

Weird, though that unrelated people born on the same day and in the same hospital would have the same name, though. Figure the odds.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Oh wow, that does sound horrible. I know some people like to give twins names that rhyme or start with the same letter, but I hadn't heard of them calling one the nickname for the other. My nephew's names are pretty common names where I live, and our last name is fairly common too, so it isn't really as big of a coincidence as it seems at first. 

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

I'm definitely in for this. I was iffy for a bit just because I had nothing I felt enthusiastic about, but then the creativity started flowing. It's gonna be awesome (extra awesome if I can get through more than the first few snowflake steps before the 1st).

I'm not a complete Nano noob. I did CampNano the other year and 'won', so I know I'm in for a fun ride next month.

Has anyone else felt the urge to call October NaNoPlanMo and December NaNoEdMo?

• Like 2

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

Has anyone else felt the urge to call October NaNoPlanMo and December NaNoEdMo?

Not so much for me, I've had what I'm starting in November plotted for a while and sitting in a drawer, I'll take it out in a week and check it for plot holes.  And I never edit immediately, my editing month will generally be early spring at the earliest.  Editing too fast can be a major pitfall, if you're still enchanted by what you've written it's hard to look at it objectively.  I always put the entire manuscript away for at least three months, then I take it out and edit it thoroughly.  After that I can start sending it to beta readers.  In the long run it saves a lot more editing and frustration.

Do the thing

2024 Intentions Roadmap

Okay, intrepid writers, I spent hours last night outlining and I am fired up.

So here's a question: when do you want me to open the accountabilibuddy group?  Now?  As soon as the current challenge ends (10/27) to keep you engaged in zero weeks?  On November 1st?  SOME OTHER TIME?

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads