Moving out!

Gosh... I knew it would happen some day, and I've dreamt about it for a few years...

I'm going to move out! 

I'm excited, afraid, overjoyed and sad at the same time. Oh yeah, and let's not forget stressed out. I still have school going on and I have tests coming up, and now while everything is going on I have to move all my things as well and lay floors and paint walls. I'm sure I will be sick for two weeks once I live there and things start to calm down again.

The place I will move to is lovely. It's in a quiet place in a city apartment on the ground floor and at one of the sides we can look out the window and see some water. It's not used for boats anymore so it's pretty quiet there. I like quiet.

Have you moved out already? Do you have any tips for me and maybe others who will move out some day? How was it for you to move out for the first time?

:frog:

Woot! Congratulations!

Finally being able to move out increased the quality of my life dramatically. I'm not sure I have any good moving advice, though. Make sure you've got at least one really good frying pan and one really good knife?

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

Moving out is the best time to load up on freebies, people have the darnedest things in storage.  One of my biggest scores: 25 year old cast iron pots and pans from my parents that were just sitting in storage.

If you want a good tip tho, Dumpster Diving.  If your local community has a College/University, check out the dumpsters in nearby apartment complexes at the end of each semester..always good digs!

Woot! Congratulations!

Finally being able to move out increased the quality of my life dramatically. I'm not sure I have any good moving advice, though. Make sure you've got at least one really good frying pan and one really good knife?

YES on the knife. A few times now I've bought cheap-o knife sets and regretted it massively. Depending on how much cooking you do, it's so nice to have a sharp, good quality large kitchen knife and a smaller paring knife.

Moving out is the best time to load up on freebies, people have the darnedest things in storage.  One of my biggest scores: 25 year old cast iron pots and pans from my parents that were just sitting in storage.

If you want a good tip tho, Dumpster Diving.  If your local community has a College/University, check out the dumpsters in nearby apartment complexes at the end of each semester..always good digs!

Good tip! End of the semester in a college town, AKA Hippie Christmas. People throw away some seriously nice stuff. (A few friends have found bags of change, even.)

Congratulations on moving out! It's true it can be overwhelming at first, but is also exciting and liberating... a new chapter!

I've moved a lot, and whenever I move there's always one or two things I forget to do/check for. You've probably got these covered, but just in case.

-Change your address! Especially important with your bank, the dmv, etc.

-Window coverings. So many times I've moved into a place only to realize the window coverings are inadequate/nonexistent. Cue bath towel curtains for 2 weeks.

-Are you renting!? If so, remember to do a walk through before you move in and/or take tons of photos of the place, especially existing damages.

Mostly- enjoy!

You gotta do it at least once....

Walk in your front door, close it (this is important), make sure windows are closed, turn on all the lights, go get naked, open the fridge and freezer, leave it open, and just stand there.....

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

-Are you renting!? If so, remember to do a walk through before you move in and/or take tons of photos of the place, especially existing damages.

This, this, and again..this.

I'll skip the horror story details, but if you aren't always checking fine print on your rental agreement and documenting things..landlords can be a p.i.t.a.

:confused:

I hope that's because they were still using their 40 year old cast iron pots and pans!

They upgraded to calphalon.. :(

But seriously, free and good pots/pans is money in the bank.  A decent set will put you back $200-400 if you buy new.

But seriously, free and good pots/pans is money in the bank.  A decent set will put you back $200-400 if you buy new.

Oh absolutely.  It's just surprising to me that someone would put cast iron pots and pans into storage.  There is something magical about cooking food in well seasoned cast iron.  If maintained, it can be the last set of pots and pans you ever own.

One of the best moments in my life was moving out.

All I can say is be organised especially with bills and setting up things like internet. Also have a clear out (as much as you can) before you move. It makes it easier and if you can sell anything it is extra money for you! Last year I moved 400-ish miles and had plenty of time to have a clear out. I made £200 selling off stuff I didn't use anymore.

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

Oh absolutely.  It's just surprising to me that someone would put cast iron pots and pans into storage.  There is something magical about cooking food in well seasoned cast iron.  If maintained, it can be the last set of pots and pans you ever own.

I got a few good years out of them, but two eventually developed some pitting so I had to ditch them..but I upgraded with my advice on hand me downs..because now I've got some calphalon's that I use..again, free of charge! :)

Wow, such good ideas! Thank you all!

Let me see if I can line 'em up so far...

Frying pan: Still need to get that! That's a good one for my list, as I am the protein-pancake-master. Thanks!

A really good knife: Check! 

Window coverings: Work in progress! My bedroom has them already and we still need to find some for the rest of the rooms, especially because we live on the ground floor and everyone can (and is) looking inside... Got some window plastic tape for the bathroom so no-one can look inside!

Saucepan: Check!

At least one tupperware microwavable dish: Check!

Good pots and pans: Check!

Change your address: Doing that when I actually move :)

"Are you renting!? If so, remember to do a walk through before you move in and/or take tons of photos of the place, especially existing damages." - Yup, done that. There were some huge wet spots on the floor in one room and one wall in my bedroom. Luckily they're already drying. It was probably because of the plastered walls, the walls were still a wet in all rooms when we got there to get our keys.

Freebies: I got many things from my parents already, they're the kinds of people who save up on stuff their entire life. Some things I got for rental until I have money for my own things.

It's mostly administrative things that are stressing me out - insurances, changing doctors, changing address... Even though I know that last one is probably the easiest of all!

And about walking around naked in the house, at least once.... Maybe I will do that one day, but adding curtains first is an absolute necessity :P Not sure if I then will stand in front of the fridge and freezer as they are in the room with the most windows... But I will keep it in mind :P

• Like 1

:frog: