Beard appreciation thread

I read an article somewhere recently that talked of how facial hair follicle implants are the newest craze among twenty-somethings.  It largely based this on the hipster movement but it was still a good chuckle for me.

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Piling in on the beard fun!

v8lhyv.jpg

I read an article somewhere recently that talked of how facial hair follicle implants are the newest craze among twenty-somethings.  It largely based this on the hipster movement but it was still a good chuckle for me.

:lol: Hair plugs on one's face... smh. Work with what you've got, plenty of viable facial hair styles out there.

• Like 5

v8lhyv.jpg

[emoji38] Hair plugs on one's face... smh. Work with what you've got, plenty of viable facial hair styles out there.

thats one metal beard! it matches the name… I mean: Sigrïkr is my favourite hard metal band

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Unfortunately I've been called a hipster a lot.  It frustrates me to no end.  I can't help it that my love of beards, plaid, and craft beer is trendy.  I've actually chopped down a tree or two with an axe and chainsaw in my day though, so my manly ruggedness isn't a fad or an irony.

It beats being compared to Duck Dynasty any day though!

• Like 4

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

v8lhyv.jpg

:lol: Hair plugs on one's face... smh. Work with what you've got, plenty of viable facial hair styles out there.

Best ebard thus far. You look like a damn vilking between that and the hair.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Unfortunately I've been called a hipster a lot. It frustrates me to no end. I can't help it that my love of beards, plaid, and craft beer is trendy. I've actually chopped down a tree or two with an axe and chainsaw in my day though, so my manly ruggedness isn't a fad or an irony.

It beats being compared to Duck Dynasty any day though!

People who call you a hipster for having wearing a beard with plaid have never meet a real hipster.

Real hipsters do atrocious and obnoxious things with their facial hair and clothing (which beard + plaid is not atrocious, it's classic) because they have no real sense of style and just want to set the next trend so they can smugly say "I was doing it before it was cool." And when they fail in this quest, they shrug it off as irony.

And damn it, I only drink PBR cuz tallboys are $2.00 from 9-close and by then I'm already to trashed to appreciate the fine craft beers on tap so why spend another three dollars!

Maybe I'm in denial...

[placeholder for gif of Al from home improvement]

#hipsterdenial

#pbr

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Everyone calls me a hipster every time I dirnk PBR. It has happened to me at almost every nerd event. It always makes me laugh, because I started dirnking it for a totally different reason. It was my granddfather's beer, so it's a nastalgia sort of thing. I do like it and have stuck to it as my high quantity, easy drinking beer.

Maybe I am a hipster, because I want nothing more than to rock the friendly muttonchops.

BillMurray_AP-Ben-Margot.jpg

My wife won't go for it though.

• Like 3

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I like it better when people assumed my beard meant I was either homeless, an outlaw or a mountain man.

No joke.... now long hair, beards, and tattoos are cool... and I'm normal.

I don't like it....

• Like 4

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

and tattoos are cool

I don't like it....

My sleeves are almost as old as you are.  How do you think I feel?

No joke, 20-25 years ago I used to scare people just by being present.  Now days I get 15 year old girls in grocery stores walking up to me to talk about ink.  

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

My sleeves are almost as old as you are.  How do you think I feel?

No joke, 20-25 years ago I used to scare people just by being present.  Now days I get 15 year old girls in grocery stores walking up to me to talk about ink.  

HAHAHA.... if the guys I knew in the military were any inclination... I can only imagine. :-)

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

Thanks heh. Being likened to a viking is high praise.

So the NEW new thing is the "lumbersexual" tag. It's like a fusion of metro and hipster. Can't outrun it... it finds you.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/14/lumbersexual-beard-plaid-male-fashion

I saw that a while back... color me dissapointed. Someday, maybe men can just simply be men again...

My first challenge

Thanks heh. Being likened to a viking is high praise.

So the NEW new thing is the "lumbersexual" tag. It's like a fusion of metro and hipster. Can't outrun it... it finds you.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/nov/14/lumbersexual-beard-plaid-male-fashion

Yup... guilty!

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

This current discussion makes me happy to live in the south. Beards, tattoos, and guns just mean people leave you be in public. My wife doesn't care that I don't wear a wedding ring, because seriously who wants to talk to me unless they have too. There's nothing about me that's a hipster, where I live skinny jeans are the pair you've had for 10 years you think you might fit into one day.

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

Hipsters have been around much longer than the millenials.

"The White Negro" -- Norman Mailer 1957

And he wasn't the first to use the term.

The Millenials have their own way of doing it, but the same type of culture has been a part of every single generation. Priveleged, often wealthy, and (at least historically) mostly white kids who rebelled against middle class values by pretending to partake superficially in the struggles of underpriveleged groups through their music, art, and fashion, often resulting in obnoxious, pretentious and smug behavior. Often times the styles catch on as trends of the era so some feel justified by defining some part of a generation.

Hepcats, beatniks, hippies, punks (not all punks, but a certain subset for sure)... I think in generation X the term slipped away. But I can definitely see the hipster in the indie rock scene of the 80's and the ravers of the 90's.

--Stronkey Kong--

beard-meme.jpg

• Like 2