Beard appreciation thread

We may get an influx of new fans..

The beard was a huge hit at camp..honestly for the first 24-36 hours or so, everyone who introduced themselves to me said they recognized me by my beard..which was pretty freaking awesome.

Got to see a few of you at camp which was great, met a few bearded brethren I didn't know, gave one kid a full tutorial on beard care, trimming/shaping, etc.

Had my style of beard care named "Paleo Bearding"..I think I may have to trademark that.

All in all, a good time.

I meant to get regular.  I put it in my amazon cart in a hurry when my wife wanted to make an order.  I'm just hoping it doesn't make it too stiff.  My beard is on the previous page spray painted pink.  I thought about trying an oil at some point.  Seems like coconut, argan or jojoba are all popular choices.  

Tried the balm.  First application but I guess I was hoping for a bit more hold or taming.  Perhaps that comes with time. The very curly hair of my sideburns runs wild and is why I typically just trim the sideburns and only grow the center any length.

Beard Balm is just like Beard Oil in that it conditions the beard, don't expect it to change the shape any.  I think what you want is more of a beard wax (which can be used with the balm, just apply it after)..I use the wax for special occasions when I want to control the shape more, but it certainly isn't an everyday thing.

If you do go the wax route, make sure to do an apple cider vinegar rinse regularly to remove the leftover wax.

Brushing can help a bit too with curls, it helps guide the shape of the beard over time, altho sometimes (as I am learning with a curl I have) genetics wins out and you just have to deal with it.

My wife likes my beard just very short.  She also complains when I am clean shaven. 

A coworker and I talked about me making beard oil or balm and she brought me in about 30 bottles of essential oils and a couple oz of coconut oil (but it is clear and liquid at room temp).  Granted, some of them are mixes and I don't see myself putting "PMS relief" in my beard.  But a lot of cool odors to play with.  She said she had some shea butter and beeswax for me to try as well so I may make an oil now and a balm later.

My cousin's husband makes his own beard oils, I believe he learned online..I'd recommend googling around a bit for ideas as well.  Let us know how it progresses.

• Like 2

I do not understand women who don't like beards. I love beards. 

(My boyfriend doesn't understand why I like beards either, as he doesn't particularly like having one, but he lets his face get stubbly for me  :love_heart: )

Speaking of loving beards, I am greatly appreciative of this thread. Thank you all for sharing your magnificent facial hair. 

I see it the same way. :)

Fortunately, my husband has a wonderful thick red beard and he lets it grow. "Just stubble" is not enough for me, though...

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

I did meet some nice beards at CNF this weekend.

The brushing definitely helps guide the curls on the longer hair for me, not so much on the shorter. It basically has to be long enough to get held in place by the hairs around it once the brush pulls it there. Those haird holding it there is what guides the new growth at the root and over time it will naturally start growing more in that direction. That's my theory anyway.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I do not understand women who don't like beards. I love beards. 

(My boyfriend doesn't understand why I like beards either, as he doesn't particularly like having one, but he lets his face get stubbly for me  :love_heart: )

Speaking of loving beards, I am greatly appreciative of this thread. Thank you all for sharing your magnificent facial hair. 

I knew you were good people, Shadri.  Just knew it.

In honor of you, I'll share the most recent snapshot of my beardedness, entitled Bearded Box Jumps...

12088372_841539382633875_386906267466053

We may get an influx of new fans..

The beard was a huge hit at camp..honestly for the first 24-36 hours or so, everyone who introduced themselves to me said they recognized me by my beard..which was pretty freaking awesome.

Got to see a few of you at camp which was great, met a few bearded brethren I didn't know, gave one kid a full tutorial on beard care, trimming/shaping, etc.

Had my style of beard care named "Paleo Bearding"..I think I may have to trademark that.

All in all, a good time.

Bearded ambassadoring is the greatest contribution a man can make to another man.  Show a man your beard and he will be impressed for a day.  Teach a man to beard and he will be impressive for a lifetime.

My barber lady reguarly comments that I take such great care of my beard, usually prompting a statement from me that I've relied upon many a time... it isn't enough to just let your beard grow.  When you grow a beard, you'll already more or less breaking the status quo.  There is definitely a certain amount of disdain targeted toward beardedness.  So you need to rise above the weekend scruff and the Duck Dynasty briarpatches of the world, and really show off your own potential.

You need to be an ambassador for all beardkind.  Take care of that bad boy, show your bearded pride, and really celebrate all things bearded.

The side effect is that you get to look great doing it too!

Another bearded man complimented my beard yesterday. Never happened before in my life.

You've been acknowledged, and thereby accepted into the Bearded Brotherhood, Tank.  Welcome.

one-of-us.gif

This.  But with beards.

• Like 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I'm coming up on 3 months and thinking it might be getting time to shape it.  Wondering if I should use the guards on my hair trimmers or break out scissors.

Looking at it, it's hard to say where my sideburns end and bear starts.  Most of the curls that are driving me the most nutty are starting above the top of my ear.  I think a haircut and taper job may make it simlper

"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

Just remember that Scooty Puff jr sucks!

Post a picture of what you currently look like, and if there is a "goal" shape in mind post that picture too (I get inspiration from beards.org).

Maybe we can help you out with trimming/shaping advice.

I personally do all my own, did the barbershop once, never again.  I use my scissors day to day for trimming the strays and keeping my stache in check (hate the stache touching the upper lip in my case).  And then every 2-3 months I do a major overhaul and clean up the edges of the beard to keep the same basic shape going, this is when I break out the trimmer.  And then just use a razor every couple weeks to pick up the few strays above and below my primary lines.

I'm coming up on 3 months and thinking it might be getting time to shape it.  Wondering if I should use the guards on my hair trimmers or break out scissors.

Looking at it, it's hard to say where my sideburns end and bear starts.  Most of the curls that are driving me the most nutty are starting above the top of my ear.  I think a haircut and taper job may make it simlper

I found a barber shop that is amazing with beards, especially one or two of the guys. You just have to be very specific for what you want.

That said, sounds like a standard haircut from anywhere should do you. Before I found this barbshop, I would just tell them where not to touch the beard below (the sideburn level with the bottom of my ear for me), and to just blend the haircut into the beard up to that point.

Post a picture of what you currently look like, and if there is a "goal" shape in mind post that picture too (I get inspiration from beards.org).

Maybe we can help you out with trimming/shaping advice.

I personally do all my own, did the barbershop once, never again.  I use my scissors day to day for trimming the strays and keeping my stache in check (hate the stache touching the upper lip in my case).  And then every 2-3 months I do a major overhaul and clean up the edges of the beard to keep the same basic shape going, this is when I break out the trimmer.  And then just use a razor every couple weeks to pick up the few strays above and below my primary lines.

I've jacked mine up every time I've tried to do a major overhaul myself. So happy I found my barber. The only thing I do now is razor above my cheek lines every 2-3 days. I keep those lines high enough that it's like 10 hairs on each cheek.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

AAAAGH THE ITCHING!

At that annoying itchy phase a week in to re-bearding. Should be fine by the weekend. But for now:

AAAAGH!

• Like 1

Big Show: Human Swift Hunter

Respawning. One day at a time.

Battle Log: Operation Wedding Suit - Take 2

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 

Rub in some moisturizing lotion for your skin and condition the hell out of your stubble.

It helps so much with getting through those first few weeks.

• Like 1

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Broke down and at least tamed the sideburns today.  Looks way better,  I think they were so curly they were never gonna look right no matter how long they got.  Looking for pretty much straight down from the jaw line so they weren't gonna help that.

I found a barber shop that is amazing with beards, especially one or two of the guys. You just have to be very specific for what you want.

That said, sounds like a standard haircut from anywhere should do you. Before I found this barbshop, I would just tell them where not to touch the beard below (the sideburn level with the bottom of my ear for me), and to just blend the haircut into the beard up to that point.

I've jacked mine up every time I've tried to do a major overhaul myself. So happy I found my barber. The only thing I do now is razor above my cheek lines every 2-3 days. I keep those lines high enough that it's like 10 hairs on each cheek.

Used the barbershop one time, told him how I wanted it (what you saw at camp was almost dead on to what I want, I was actually a week or two late for a trim at camp)..sonuvabitch took off so much on the sides, and messed the fade up that I basically had a giant freaking goatee and then it got super short (absolutely, no fade, just a standard length).  Looked freaking goofy and put me a few months behind since I had to trim my chin back.

Took me a few months to learn how to reverse what I see in the mirror..basically, how to control the scissors/razor.  I do a somewhat aggressive fade starting a few inches below my ears and working my way up..starts at a 5 and ends at a 1.  Then a light fade on the top line, maybe going a quarter to a half inch in..just enough to soften it and make it look more natural.  Then go through with the trimmer/scissor combo every few months and just straighten out the jaw line..trimmer gets the bulk of it, scissors to grab the strays.  Actually just took a good chunk of it off today and going through with the scissors tomorrow to fine tune..then I should be good for about 2 more months.

med_gallery_35076_2010_80099.jpg

Mine is the beard with all the grey on the left.

My only tip, and it could just be the lighting in the picture, but it looks like you are "carving" out your top line a bit.  I've found that for longer beards, a more natural looking top line is best.  The less shaping you have to do on the top and bottom edge, the better.  I only shave the few stray hairs on the top edge, and about a quarter of an inch at the bottom line (I don't grow a neck beard).  So basically, like your buddy on the right..but without that random shit that doesn't quite fit the line.  Just my .02.

As for the rest, you took the sideburns down which is great, a fade would really work well there.  

AAAAGH THE ITCHING!

At that annoying itchy phase a week in to re-bearding. Should be fine by the weekend. But for now:

AAAAGH!

Could also be the readjustment from a humid to a dry climate, definitely get something in there to moisturize, and keep it clean.  If you have any pets, I've found that pet dander is the absolute worst on a new beard, don't touch it after petting anything, wash up first.

i recently cut mine back a bit with my trimmers, and for the first time ever my face hair is longer than my head hair.  although there is less up top to cut recently and the beard leading up to the sideburns is only 3/8".

anyway, came across this article about DIY beard oil recently.  due to previous conversation, thought it would be helpful.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/09/09/diy-beard-oil/

• Like 4

Level 9 Snarky Rogue

STR:20 | DEX:13 | STA:13.5 | CON:13 | WIS:17 | CHA:16

battle log

there are far better things ahead than what we leave behind - CS Lewis

find out what you're afraid of, and go live there - Chuck Palahniuk 

I really ought to try this.  Love me some scented oil for the beard, and I don't care how effeminate that sounds.

Tom Ford makes two colognes that I love the idea of, but not the price tag of.  Maybe I'll get around to stretching my Alchemy skills this winter to brew a concoction of beard oil that smells like either Tobacco Vanille or Absolute Amber.

besides being called a Unabomber my wife calls it a giant puff ball when it gets to frizzy

Yea I want to experiment with some more manly smelling oils while still leaving the beneficial ones, such as tea tree for bugs and jojoba to make it soft

my goatee is hanging down 3.5 inches right now I have another couple of years before it gets to where I want it 

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

i recently cut mine back a bit with my trimmers, and for the first time ever my face hair is longer than my head hair.  although there is less up top to cut recently and the beard leading up to the sideburns is only 3/8".

anyway, came across this article about DIY beard oil recently.  due to previous conversation, thought it would be helpful.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/09/09/diy-beard-oil/

I also found this helpful http://www.growabeardnow.com/beard-balm/

my homemade I use now is coconut oil with birch cedar and peppermint.

I like how the fellow on your shirt seems to be pointing to either end of your beard.

• Like 2

Hmmm, yes, I do tend to carve the line pretty low.  I guess I have always kept a short beard before and that has fit.

Beau doesn't trim at all.  Actually Beau washes it with hand soap and that's the limit of his beard care.

Yeah, I can tell Beau doesn't do much in the way of beard care..I was definitely not suggesting going to that extreme (altho I am amazed at how well his has come in).

Bear in mind these are just suggestions, at the end of the day, do what you think looks good.  And remember, if you fuck it up, you can grow a new one (just try not to fuck up too often..the wait to get the beard back isn't fun).

What's the weirdest thing you guys have ever had your beards called or compared to? My sister(who has a stated dislike of facial hair) said mine looks like a dead squirrel.

I just get called Duck Dynasty a lot..I find that deeply insulting.  It's about as insulting as being called a "hipster" and being accused of having the beard because only "hipsters" grow them.

I don't know about you, but hipsters probably aren't thinking the same violent thoughts I do when people say things like this..*grr*

• Like 1

Yeah, I can tell Beau doesn't do much in the way of beard care..I was definitely not suggesting going to that extreme (altho I am amazed at how well his has come in).

Bear in mind these are just suggestions, at the end of the day, do what you think looks good.  And remember, if you fuck it up, you can grow a new one (just try not to fuck up too often..the wait to get the beard back isn't fun).

I just get called Duck Dynasty a lot..I find that deeply insulting.  It's about as insulting as being called a "hipster" and being accused of having the beard because only "hipsters" grow them.

I don't know about you, but hipsters probably aren't thinking the same violent thoughts I do when people say things like this..*grr*

Violence is so mainstream.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Yeah,Beau's beard's awkward stage was close to a year.  It's just now looking better at a year and a half.  He stuck it out though.

And yes, we have also been called Duck Dynasty... but it was 8 or so guys with beards in camo on a giant Jon boat rolling into a party cove full of ski boats.  

• Like 1