Another crossed off the Spartan List

It's been over 2 years since I started getting fit. After the first year just focusing on weightloss I met my target weight and was unsure of where to go from there... Then I saw the Spartan list that Steve posted and figured they were some good goals.

It's been months since I have been able to knock another off the list, by last night I was a speed deamon, I was a man on fire, I was faster than I have ever been before.

23:34 5K!

• 50 push ups in a row- Completed 03/06/2013
  • 10 pull ups in a row - Completed 02/05/2013
  • Bench press his body weight 10 times
  • Press 75% of his body weight overhead 5 times
  • Deadlift 1.5 times his body weight 5 times
  • Squat his body weight 10 times 
  • Run a 5k in under 24 minutes. -Completed! 16/10/2014
  • Hike for many hours with a 30-pound backpack - Completed No idea when
  • Touch his toes - Completed No idea when.

Not to sure where to focus next. My body weight is at around 190lbs these days, I stepped on the scale for the first time in 8 months a few days ago to know where I needed to set my targets.

My bench is at 135 + the bar, it's not a olympic bar so I am not sure how heavy it is.

Don't do OHP at all, no squat rack :(

Pretty sure I could squat 190 X10, but no rack to try it in. Just doing goblet squats with 50lbs plates to keep muscle mass.

Deadlift is at 240 + Bar... perhaps a 285lbs deadlift is the best thing to focus on as I will not need a spotter.

Either way, I'm pretty pumped to get that time in last night. 

Currently lost in Fitness.

I thought I was the only one going for this. Congrats!

Here's mine:

Become a Spartan Warrior (per Steve's Benchmarks)

* 50 push ups in a row
* 10 pull ups in a row
* Bench press his body weight 10 times
* Press 75% of his body weight overhead 5 times
* Deadlift 1.5 times his body weight 5 times COMPLETE:7/29/12
* Squat his body weight 10 times COMPLETE:7/29/12
* Run a 5k in under 24 minutes
* Hike for many hours with a 30 lb. ruck.
* Touch his toes COMPLETE: For awhile

You don't need a rack to OHP, just clean it off the floor!  If you can get the OHP, you'll be able to do the bench. I think you should go after that next, especially with the strength you already have from the push ups.

My biggest fear is the running. It's the last one I'm going to attack and is going to require a crap ton of work, and luck, as I tend to get stress fractures in my feet. For the 30lb ruck I'm going to do a go ruck at some point.

I'm gonna start going after the push up one again soon too. I can do mid-30s, 50 shouldn't be too far off if I actually work on it for a few months. Pull ups should come soon as I keep losing weight. I can do 3-4 now and have another 25 to lose.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Thanks Dudes!

My concern with OHP is not the getting it up, but the getting it down after the set. Every now and again  I will do a light set of OHP and even at 80lbs I am shakey bringing it down to the ground. My only spotter is my girlfriend who, while she has doubled her deadlift in the last 3 months, is not able to take that kind of weight to help me get it down.

Running was one that I thought would be one of the last off the list, but in September my crazyiness was at a high point so I spent much of the month running, put down 140km, and was doing some great progress so I figured I would adjust and see if I was able to push it out. 4 tries prior in October to do it, and the 5th was the magic run. 

Currently lost in Fitness.

Thanks Dudes!

My concern with OHP is not the getting it up, but the getting it down after the set. Every now and again  I will do a light set of OHP and even at 80lbs I am shakey bringing it down to the ground. My only spotter is my girlfriend who, while she has doubled her deadlift in the last 3 months, is not able to take that kind of weight to help me get it down.

That's awesome! I might have to use these for my challenges coming up.

For the OHP I actually start and end with the weight on my bench. Just shrug it up and ready to go, lowering it really isn't hard until the last set I usually let it little bang home a little harder than I mean to.

Level 6 - Scout

Challenges - Lost Diary of a Scout

#5#4#3#2#1

That's awesome! I might have to use these for my challenges coming up.

For the OHP I actually start and end with the weight on my bench. Just shrug it up and ready to go, lowering it really isn't hard until the last set I usually let it little bang home a little harder than I mean to.

I used to do this when I was in a commercial gym and didn't want to take up the squat rack for pressing. I would set the bar up in the bench press rack, straddle the bench facing the rack part, and sit down. I would lean forward to get the bar on my shoulders, then stand up and walk backward to clear the bench. I'd then do my set then reverse all that to put the bar back. It was a huge pain in the ass. It would be easier to just approach the bench rack from the other direction and not deal with the bench, but there wasn't room due to other equipment.

Now that I've practiced it though, cleaning a weight off the floor to my shoulders and back down is nothing at the weights that I OHP at. I would honestly learn how to clean/power clean to get the bar up and down. Once you can do that, it should be cake at any weight you can press over your head, as your should be able to clean/power clean your max OHP for 5 reps pretty quickly.  Here's Rip's stance on it:

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf