October 19th

(West Rocks Crag, Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada)

sleep (prev night):  10hrs

climb, top rope

5.8, two repeats

Climbed with girlfriend and another friend who led these routes trad style ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_climbing ). The weather was a very pleasant surprise, cool but dry after the previous day's chilling misty drizzle (Saturday's weather had been nasty enough that even a pumpkin chucking festival [ http://www.kemblepumpkinchuckin.com/ ] was not much fun ... and this from someone who usually believes "There is no such thing as bad weather, just improper clothing" http://www.pinterest.com/pin/285908276314294274/ !  ).  West Rocks is a small disused quarry tucked in very close to residential areas and a high school - a great easy to access treat that can be included into relatively short breaks in daily chores and tasks by Owen Sound-ites who are willing to find a way.  I've done a little bit of leading on trad, but considerably easier grades (5.1 - 5.3) and was mostly out to get my blood flowing and joints moving after a gym strength session a couple of days earlier when I did too much deadlifting too early in my current come-back process.

illcDimension hopping Ranger-Cartographer, level 2STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 6 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Training Log

Of Goats and Rucks Challenge (June -July 2013)

~Take care. Be bold.~

October 20th

sleep (prev night): 10hrs

(18:30 - True North Climbing, Toronto)

climb, all indoor sport lead

5.8 (3 takes)

5.8 (2 takes)

fingers and forearms pumped out early after I made a couple of bad choices and got into an awkward position on the first 5.8.  I've got a lot of getting un-rusty to do with this climbing thing ... fortunately I bought a 30 day unlimited pass ... but unfortunately I've got a short work trip starting this weekend and then early in November am off on another work trip right through the end of the pass ... but fortunately I like a challenge ... sort of.

(22:00 - at home)

kettlebell press, one arm

10x3x 45lb

... while watching Walking Dead s5e02 and then the "Smash Up" episode of Tabletop.

illcDimension hopping Ranger-Cartographer, level 2STR: 6 DEX: 2 STA: 5 CON: 6 WIS: 5 CHA: 2

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

October 21st

sleep (prev night): 7hrs

(19:00 - Trainers Fitness, Toronto)

Biked quite widely around the city running some errands, most notably getting immunizations for an upcoming trip to Brazil.  Felt a little iffy and considered bailing with the very good "5 shots in the left deltoid, including yellow fever and Twinrix" excuse but then ...

boxing class

1 hour

This was a sort of cardio boxing class.  I've never done a technical boxing session or a cardio box class, so don't have anything to compare it to.  That said, while I was pretty winded a few times during it I did briefly consider doing some weights afterwards.  Sociability did get the better of me and I went for a pint and a burger with one of my oldest friends, retold some of our old classic stories, had a lot of great laughs.

The class involved (more or less):

- a lengthy skipping warm up (some of my longest ever unbroken stretches of both single unders and running in place!)

- intervals of walking squats (duck walks) and walking across the room throwing left/right combinations

- intervals of throwing left/right combinations n a heavy bag laying on the floor and jumping jacks

- 15 seconds of left/right combinations on a hanging heavy bag / footwork circling the bag

- 3 minutes of throwing left/right combos at the heavy bag while intermitantly changing from a high to a low stance

- assorted wall squat holds, planks, superman holds

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

October 23rd

(13:00 - True North Climbing, Toronto)

warm up, 3 rounds

15 move traverse

10x push ups

10x sit ups

bouldering, v-sum session as layed out in the Mountain Athlete Alpine Rock Climbing program.  Neat concept:  In 45 minutes climb 8 or more bouldering problems.  Only count clean climbs.  Total the grades of the problems for a session score.  If more than 8 problems are completed only count the 8 hardest.  This gives a point of comparison for future sessions.

v1

v1

v2

v2

v2

v2

v4 (slab with tiny footers and vertically oriented, pinchy hand holds!  The sort of thing I'm "least good at")

v3 (overhanging with medium / large holds)

v4 (same slab as above.  In hindsight according to MA's strict v-sum duplicate routes shouldn't be counted)

v2 (slab, small knobs)

v2 (same as last)

19 total v-sum

... tried to favour routes with holds of a size and shape I'd usually avoid, as well as more subtle body positions rather than the brute strength method I gravitate to more often.  This was partly to work on improve technique, partly to go easy on my hands as their soft after a period of very inconsistent climbing.

bouldering, up climb / down climb

2x v1

meditation

9 minute guided breathing audio on the subway home after the climbing.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

October 24th

sleep (prev night): 8hrs

(15:30 - my house to Churchill Reservoir, Baldwin Steps and back, Toronto)

ruck

1.5km, with 45lb kettlebell as load.  Untimed.

A kettlebell is not a very comfortable load.  Less than a half hour after completing today's training I already have a bruise appearing on my back.  Doh!  Will probably opt back to bricks from here on.

"The Gut Check"

5 rounds of 2 minutes per movement using single 45lb kettlebell, counting total reps:

long cycle clean and jerk  29, 22, 23, 20, 22     (116 total reps)

turkish get up  7, 6, 6, 6, 6    (31 total reps)

ruck

0.5km, with 45lb kettlebell as load.  Untimed.

"Baldwin 550"

10x up and down laps of the Baldwin Steps, with 45lb kettlebell in pack.  There are 110 steps but I took these two at a time, so will count them as 55.

23:13

This was a rough adaptation of an element in Mountain Athlete's Alpine Rock Climbing program.

ruck

1.5km, with 45lb kettlebell as load.  Untimed and slow, easy pace.

5 rounds

20x glute leg lifts / side

10x poor man's leg curl / side

Altogether a pretty brutal session - fairly long with pretty high impact, high tension movements (especially the KB LCC&Js and TGUs!) but with a much needed finish of some isolation work meant to address some glute medius and hamstring imbalances that I'm pretty sure have been contributing to left knee pain over the past couple of years.  Perhaps a longer, tougher training session than is optimal at the moment in terms of physical adaptation and recovery but I needed a blast to feel excited and remind myself of what I'm capable of.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

October 25th

sleep (prev night): 10hrs

(14:30)

run

10.3km, 1:02:04, 6:01 min/km

A "good" pace in that I was able to do the distance staying smooth enough that my knee and hips feel fine a little over an hour afterwards.  In terms of getting maximum adaptation with a minimum effective dose a sprint workout would likely have been "better", but really when I run I'm usually doing it because I want to explore and see the environment around me.  That's got to have benefits of it's own.

meditation

28 minute guided breathing.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

October 26th

(Devil's Glen Provincial Park)

sleep (prev night):  5hrs

climb, sport lead.  Slow and deliberate.  No takes or falls.

5.6  "Helios"

5.7  "Ra"

5.9  "Sun Worshipper", a tricky, balance intensive route.

For a 2 hour drive each way this wasn't much climbing but I felt pretty good about each effort.  I kept my head and climbed efficiently.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

October 27th

(18:00 - True North Climbing, Toronto)

5.10- (4 takes.  Really fought it.  Looking forward to a clean repeat)

5.8  (Same route that gave me so much trouble last week.  Went fast and clean this time)

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

October 29th

5.9 (1 take)

5.9 (1 take)

This felt great.  The measured approach I've been taking, getting more frequent practice in and not beating myself up every session is definitely paying off in improvements in technique and hand stamina.  Another improvement tonight was my focus on not high clipping.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

October 30th

(13:00 - my backyard, Toronto)

5 rounds, not for time

20x one arm kettlebell swings, 45lb bell, alternating hands

10x push ups

10x ring rows

meditation

26 minute guided breathing, as found here:  http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/mindfulness-meditation

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 1st

(15:30 - my backyard, Toronto)

3 rounds, not for time

20x 45lb kettlebell swing

10x 45lb kettlebell snatch / side

10x 45lb kettlebell goblet squat

5x ring dips

10x push ups

3 rounds, not for time

10x sit up + reverse sit up ("toes to floor")

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 2nd

(16:00 - True North Climbing, Toronto)

sleep (prev night): ??hrs

climb, indoor sport lead

These were pale, shakey attempts fought through a wretched Halloween/birthday weekend hangover.  Technique and movement were OK, but each move felt like it was going to be my last.  As Kelly Starrett would say "Make a better decision!"

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 6th

(10:00 - my back yard, Toronto)

5 minutes, as many 45lb kettlebell swings as possible

(5 minute rest)

20 minutes, as many rounds as possible

10x ring rows

10x push ups

5x pistol squats / side

6 rounds + 10x ring rows + 10x push ups + 2x pistol squats (did 2x more on other side after time limit to keep things symmetrical)

(5 minutes rest)

5 minutes, as many 45lb kettlebell swings as possible

3 rounds

10x sit up + reverse sit up ("toes to ground")

I've been somewhat discouraged  by my lack of consistency and discipline the past couple of months and reacted to this disappointment in a not altogether positive way, shying away from training further.  The round count on today's 20 minute AMRAP underlined this.  In 4 days I'll be embarking on a work trip for approximately 5 weeks.  These trips have an odd way, despite being fairly demanding in some ways, of imposing some discipline and structure on my days.  I think the new and unfamiliar settings highlight a need to "create my own life" and not rely on pre-existing patterns and people.  How positive!  So, as of Monday these posts will be coming from Braganca Paulista Brazil and will involve a 4 days of Gymnastic Bodies Foundation 1 / 2 days of Gymnastic Bodies Handstand 1 training split basis for my physical training, and daily meditation for my mind and mood.

I've done some preliminary research and emailing, Braganca Paulista does have a Crossfit gym and this training is something I've enjoyed in the past.  It could be a good way to meet some people outside of my small work team but I'll have to see how this can be accomodated with consist work on and recuperation from the GB foundation.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 8th

(18:30 - my back yard, Toronto)

sleep (prev night): 11hrs

5 rounds

10 - 15 - 25 - 50  kettlebell swings, 45lbs

2 - 3 - 5   ribg dips

total of 500 kb swings, 50 ring dips

This was a trial of a one day selection from Dan John's 10 000 swing kettle bell program. This is a sort of session I really do enjoy.  I am definitely curious how this would feel over a 20 out of 30 day cycle.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 9th

(13:00 - True North Climbing, Toronto)

bouldering

4x problems, fairly easy but no grades marked. 

Made several more and less successful attempts at these.

lead climbing

5.9 (first real fall in months.  I needed it to put things back in perspective)

5.10- (5 takes, the top 2/3 of this was a clip by clip battle)

5.9 (1 take)

5.9 (1 take)

Pretty distracted by tomorrow's departure for Brazil.  I got off route and out of sequence a couple of times.  Showing up and doing the work on the hard days is part of getting better in the long run.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 14th

(16:30 - Academia Walker, Braganca Paulista, Sao Paulo, Brazil)

sleep (prev night): 11hrs

5 rounds, not for time

5x cleans  ... 65lbs, 80lbs, 4x 100lbs

5x dips

5x pull ups

Gymnastic Bodies Foundations

Side Lever  PE2  5x 12

IM2   5x 10

Manna  PE2  4x9

IM2  4x5

Single Leg Squat  PE3 4x6

IM3  4x5

3 rounds, not for time

10x one legged "Poor Man's Leg Curl" / side

20x glute leg lifts / side

What a day!  Started out waking up 3 hours late due to a fog brained, middle-of-the-night reset of my phone's clock ... stupid time zones and day light savings.  Played catch up all day, though fortunately I didn't have a busy work day or fixed schedule for my job As a reward for getting half of my course work done for the week I signed up for a one week membership at the gym across the street and tried out a new work out combination.  The membership was 30 reais (approx $15) for a week and I didn't sign for longer as there are a variety of gyms in this town and I may choose to try a few.  There is also a scenic lake with a 1.5 mile pathway around it which is very popular for running and walking.

The Gymnastic Bodies Foundation series is something I've been eyeing for a while and followed with some consistency through August.  It makes a lot of sense as providing foundational strength and mobility, underlaying future gains with durability but I have trouble getting excited about doing the work.  As such I let myself do a few rounds of compound lifting and simple bodyweight work to warm up.  The 3 leg focussed rounds I finished up are intended as remedial work to help rebalance and injury proof my knees by improving glute and hamstring control.

Maybe I'm mixing too many "priorities"?  I think not, altogether.  I've toned down some of my near-max strength work and most of this is focussing on filling in connective tissue strength and joint mobility.  I'm not sure how long this will last, but I think that approach fits with my overarching vision of being vital and durable, empowered for adventure. ... I get a charge out of it, so there's some value in that, but overall I don't see my peak joy in life being a gym room hero.  The balance will be found, I just need to do the work, listen to my body and spirit.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

*** entry is out of order ***

November 10th

urban hike

9km

climb, lead

Forgot to log this session - It was a light one, but very high value in that I did it at all.  Monday the 10th I had a late night flight from Toronto to Brazil for a roughly one month work project and decided to arrange with friends for one last climbing session before leaving.  I took my baggage with me and had my friends hold on to a bag with my harness and shoes for me to pick up when I get back.  This sort of reaching out for small supports is something I hesitate to do so for me this is a milestone.  Here's hoping it signals the start of more!

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 15th

(17:30 - Lago Toboao, Braganca Paulista, Sao Paulo, Brazil)

sleep (prev night): 4hrs

run

2x 2.4km (1.5 mi) laps, uninterrupted

11:13  (4:40 min/km)

12:19  (5:08 min/km)

23:32 total

Yowch.  I'm usually a great (maybe "overly great") sleeper but I got quite throughly spooked by sounds outside of my ground floor window in the middle of night.  On my first trip to Brazil (at the same time Steve Kamb was here during Carnivale 2013, coincidentally!) I was mugged in broad day light and have been a bit skittish here ever since.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 16th

(14:30 - Lago Toboao and Aeroporto Arturo Siqiuera, Braganca Paulista, Sao Paulo, Brazil)

sleep (prev night): 6hrs

5 rounds, not for time

10x pull ups

10x incline push ups

10x air squats  (slow and deep, mostly for the stretch)

run

6.09km, 37:37, 6:10 min/km

Heat and hills killed me.  ... but that was sort of the point.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 17th

(15:30 - Academia Walker, Braganca Paulista, Sao Paulo, Brazil)

sleep (prev night): 5hrs

3 rounds, not for time

10x 155lb deadlifts

5x 45lb one arm press / side

Gymnastic Bodies Foundation

Front Lever:  bent hollow rock  4x36

table  4x 30 sec

Straddle Planche:  single arm plank  4x 30 sec / side

donkey kick 4x 10 / side  (as a stretch)

Hollow Back Press:  4x 10 pseudo planche push ups

4x 5 xiao pengs (backward), 10lb / side

Rope Climb:  body row  4x 10  (no rings available)

bent twisting lat stretch 4x 30 sec

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 18th

(15:30 - Academia Walker, Braganca Paulista, Sao Paulo, Brazil)

5rds, not for time

5x pull ups

5x dips

10x DB 72lb goblet squats

Gymnastic Bodies Foundations

side lever:  arch body rock  5x 12

standing hip  cicle 5x10

manna:  straddle up  4x 9

jefferson curl  4x 5, with 40lb barbell

single leg squat:  side to side squat  4x 6 / side

inside squat  4x 5

Wow those jefferson curls felt amazing.

5rds, not for time

5x pull ups

5x dips

10x DB 72lb goblet squats

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 21st

(16:00 - Academia Walker, Braganca Paulista, Sao Paulo, Brazil)

sleep (prev night): 7.5hrs

Gymnastic Bodies Foundation

Front Lever:  toes to bar 4x 10   (substituted for hollow body rocks which rub my tailbone raw)

table  4x 30 sec

Straddle Planche:  single arm plank  4x 30 sec / side

donkey kick 4x 10 / side  (as a stretch)

Hollow Back Press:  4x 10 pseudo planche push ups

4x 5 xiao pengs (backward), 10lb / side

Rope Climb:  body row  4x 10  (no rings available)

bent twisting lat stretch 4x 30 sec

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 22nd

(14:00 - Lago Toboao, Braganca Paulista, Sao Paulo, Brazil)

sleep (prev night): 7.5hrs

run

2x 2.4 km loops, very flat terrain

1st loop 10:53, 4:32 min/km

2nd loop 11:27, 4:46 min/km

22:20 total, averaging 4:39 min/km

Pretty good speeds for me.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~

November 23rd

(14:00 - NC Hotel, Braganca Paulista, Sao Paulo, Brazil)

sleep (prev night): 9 hrs

every 10 minutes for 10 rounds

10x pseudo planche push ups

3x xiao pengs (weighted with a Nalgene, approx 2.5lb) / side

Did these "Grease The Groove" style while uploading and correcting some OpenStreetMap updates I surveyed this morning.  Yep, taking a break from flying surveys of  Sao Paulo for work by doing amateur, open data mapping ... and tricky push ups :)

Pseudo planche push ups are tricky.  Today I focused on planting my hands as far back towards my hips as possible and pushing with even pressure.  I see where they fit into the Gymanstic Bodies progression, but for now they're rather pinchy in the wrists.

I'd been doing Xiao Pengs with a 10lb plate, but this is a mobility drill and the 2.5lb water bottle feels way, way better.  These moves are great.

Training Log

~Take care. Be bold.~