Hi everyone, 

I've been lurking on the forums for a little while, putting off registering because I was kinda sorta dreading having to write an introductory post where I awkwardly try to explain who I am and make sweeping statements about what I want to accomplish. As part of my ongoing effort not to let perfect be the enemy of good, here's my somewhat awkward, occasionally sweeping introductory list.

I am good at:

• Letting perfect be the enemy of good
  • Writing very detailed lists and not sticking to them
  • Picking up languages quickly
  • Motivating myself when it comes to academics
  • Procrastinating at everything else
  • Making rhubarb crumble
  • Keeping serious secrets
  • Talking down my own achievements
  • Standing up to bullies (due to more years of practice than I care to remember)
  • Reciting the first few pages of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone from memory

I am terible at:

• Sticking to any diet that does not allow chocolate and red wine at least twice a week
  • Getting out of bed without snoozing for a minimum of 30 minutes
  • Keeping not-so-serious secrets
  • Gaming. I used to watch my friends play for hours when I was a kid, but never enjoyed playing. When my friends forced me to play CoD once a few years ago, it took me about five minutes (no joke) to realize I was a person who was supposed to be shooting at other people. I saw the scope/aim thingy, but not having played anything like CoD ever didn't recognize it as such, so I kind of figured I was some kind of scout vehicle thingy vaguely resembling Wall-E and that was the top camera part. My friends about peed themselves with laughter when they finally figured out why I wasn't shooting at anything.
  • Yoga. I have weirdly weak wrists and am stiff as a board (but working on both), so disaster would be an accurate description of my yoga efforts so far. 
  • Keeping sarcasm out of my voice when talking to annoying clients at work
  • Not eating mangoes even though they're apparently bad for you if (like me) you have IBS
  • Keeping my posts short, apparently

I am currently: 

• 26 years old (for another couple of days)
  • Height: 165 cm
  • Weight ≈ 66/67 kg (the battery died, will get a new one and find out shortly. Not looking forward to it.)
  • Waist ≈ 77 cm
  • Climbing a steady VI- UIAA/5.8 YDS, with a PR of VII/5.10c (on a very short route, mind)
  • Juuuuuust able to touch my toes with the tips of my fingers on a good day
  • Hoping the CoD story does not result in my nerd license being revoked

Ideally, I want to be:

• Weight ≈ 53-56 kg by medio June 2015
  • Waist ≈ 65-67 cm by end of summer 2015
  • Climbing a steady VII/5.10c, with a PR of VIII-/5.11b by the end of summer 2015
  • Flexible enough to touch my palms to the ground with straight knees
  • Able to run a 10K in < 1 hr by end of 2015 (currently can't run much due to persistent shin splints issues after running a half last year, so this is assuming that gets sorted)

Can't wait to get to know you all!

• Like 1

All or something. All or something. *deep breath* All 👏 or 👏 something 👏

Welcome!  You seem to be my sort of nerd!  Harry Potter!  Languages!  And I'm teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrible at shooters, I'd be worse at CoD than you, hands down!  (Also, I love mangoes, though I suppose that does not add to my nerd cred at all...)

So basically, I'm hoping to see you in the next challenge, but for now, a preemptive welcome on behalf of your future guild!  We'd love to have you once you've gone through your level 1 experience!  If you have any questions or issues navigating, feel free to ping me via PM anytime.  I'd love to help you feel welcome. ^_^

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Yay languages and other Humanities nerdery!! I've never tried CoD, but I hate first-person games so I doubt I'd like it either. If they try to take your nerd license away we'll all fight them off by throwing books. Have you tried any gaming of the unplugged variety?

I hope you'll share some of your rhubarb expertise with us!

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

Thanks, starsapart, I will definitely take you up on that :) I looked at your battle log and Epic Quest list (love it, though I personally think you should add Norway to your travel list ;)  ) and it looks like we have a lot in common, so it would be great to be able to ask you when all those newbie question inevitably come up. I'm planning my goals for the first challenge right now (still trying to figure out the complicated rules for Level 1s) and will hit you up if anything comes up during the planning stages. During the time leading up to the 

Lalie (I'm going to go ahead an assume we're already on a first name basis because I tried to spell your last name twice - can't copy paste due to keyboard issues), I llooked at your battle log and loved reading it. Your writing is really easy to read and entertaining, I'm looking forward to following you log for the next challenge! I haven't really (seriously) tried any unplugged games either, mostly because I never knew anyone who was all that into them. Have you set your goals for the next challenge yet?

TheMormonRebel, thanks for the encouragement, I'm looking forward to my first challenge!

• Like 2

I am also terri-bad at FPS games, and I LOVE gaming. My boyfriend tried many many (many) times to play co-op Borderlands with me and I was pretty much useless - by the time I would target the thing I needed to shoot, it would be dead.  Or I would be dead because what, I have to hide behind a box or something?  I can't just stand here and rocket launch you?!  Ugh.

I also have IBS and mangoes (and most fruit) are ok with me in small doses, but put a bell pepper or onion in front of me and I'll turn into a quivering silly baby.  Ugh.  Hate it for sure.

Oh yeah, WELCOME! :)  I think you'll fit right in here at NF!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Thanks, starsapart, I will definitely take you up on that :) I looked at your battle log and Epic Quest list (love it, though I personally think you should add Norway to your travel list ;)  ) and it looks like we have a lot in common, so it would be great to be able to ask you when all those newbie question inevitably come up. I'm planning my goals for the first challenge right now (still trying to figure out the complicated rules for Level 1s) and will hit you up if anything comes up during the planning stages. During the time leading up to the 

For sure!  I'll gladly pass on my challenge template if you want it - I've seen a number of level 1 folks using it this challenge cycle, and it seems to have worked well for them.  Always here for goals discussion as well, so my inbox is open. ^_^

I would love to visit all the Nordic countries, really, I just don't know anyone in Norway!  But perhaps it will get added to my list.... that quest is eternally evolving!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

• Hoping the CoD story does not result in my nerd license being revoked

Haha!  That's too funny.  Revoked?   No way  ...  *Grabs card*  SUSPENDED, yes. You can have it back after you've headshotted something.  The card committee is also open to being bribed with rhubarb crumble.

shaarawy, that's so weird, I'm actually ok with moderate doses of most of the veggies that are supposed to be off limits (including onion and peppers) and tolerate dairy fine, but beans, wheat/rye and certain fruits don't sit well with me. And xylitol is my kryptonite *shudders* 

starsapart, I'd love the template - PM me?

Dash, considering I had no idea what that sentence meant until I googled "headshot + gaming", I guess I'd better read up on corrupt business practices involving baked goods...

• Like 2

Lalie (I'm going to go ahead an assume we're already on a first name basis because I tried to spell your last name twice - can't copy paste due to keyboard issues), I llooked at your battle log and loved reading it. Your writing is really easy to read and entertaining, I'm looking forward to following you log for the next challenge! I haven't really (seriously) tried any unplugged games either, mostly because I never knew anyone who was all that into them. Have you set your goals for the next challenge yet?

Thank you! I've thought of how to divide (or maybe categorize) my longer-term goals among the three parts of Being the Pan, but I haven't decided what my next shorter-term quest should be. That might depend on how long it takes my contact staff to get here and what I can manage to do with it. Definitely continuing with the same storyline. Do you know what you want to do for your first challenge yet?

I never realized how many awesome board games are out there until my favorite comic and game shop moved to a bigger location. So many creative things.

• Like 1

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

Hey there BiancaBlack, welcome to the rebellion! Glad to have you aboard :D

Don't worry, not playing video games doesn't exclude you from being a nerd. Being a nerd is all about heart, having a passion for something and letting it drive you forward. It doesn't matter what that "something" is, as long as it's important to you; that's what matters :rapture:

So yeah, you're a nerd! Welcome to the club :playful:

Anyways, seeing as you're new here, I'd like to mention Accountabilibuddie groups. You don't have to join one, but it's an easy way to get a support group and find even more friends here :pride:

Here's a link to the Accountabilibuddies thread.

And on the subject of Accountabilibuddies, THE DAI-GURREN BRIGADE is always open to new members :D

Although the current challenge is almost at a close, you can still join up with a group if you'd like; or at least browse for which one(s) you'd like to join come the next challenge.

Hell, you could even make one of your own :D

But anyways, like I said, glad to have you here :pride:

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

Will - I wanted to give a (long overdue - I've been traveling and without internet access for a while) thank you for the tip about accountabilibuddies and for the invite to check out the Dai-Gurren Brigade!! I don't know if I'm too late now to join a group for the new challenge, but you all look like a great bunch from the thread and I'd love some extra accountibility!  :redface-new:

• Like 1