Hi, I'm a n00b here.

I'm 35, female, been overweight most of my life and currently need to lose about a hundred pound to reach a mid range BMI. Well, if that's the route I chose...(i want to lose weight, yes, but I have no objection to healthy weight like say muscle. I want to lose fat. ).

I'm not horribly fit, but I can walk around 4-5k without problem and do so a couple of times a week. I'm not good at anything that gets me gasping-out-of-breath though, and while I love the idea of running and parkour, I can't keep it up. I'm also not convinced that is where my assets lie, physically.

I am interested in a little weight training (I don't have much money, but I have a 10 pound milk jug i filled an a 15 pound kettle bell i was gifted) but not a gym membership, doing yoga (dvd's for the win! I can flex!) and i love the idea of parkour..but i'm not coordinated in the slightest. At all. As in Dex has a minus 3 modifier or more.  I have done karate before and would love to do it again but money and time are constraints.

I just had a fairly major health setback (surgery) and i've just recently been allowed to do things again, so i'm rebuilding my stamina.

And I have no clue what guild i should be in.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60953-challenge-1-take-2/

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60532-battlelog-no-excuses/#entry1384657

"That which does not kill me had better run like hell as I'm coming for it"

Heya!

Welcome to NF! Battle Logs are where you log in your eating, and workouts for everyone to see. It keeps you more accountable and helps you to see what you're doing.

I don't go to a gym either, I have a home one. You can find dumbbells and other weights online or put aside a bit of cash to get one at Walmart or a sale at a fitness store. Bands are also cheaper and good to, plus they don't take room. Your bodyweight is a great weight to, Calisthenics are amazing to use when losing weight. NF has free workouts on the blog, and I know a bunch of free workouts on YouTube.

I love to run lol :P But I get if you don't want to (for now yuk yuk). American Parkour has workouts that range from beginner to expert to help you get in shape to. WOD drive has a lot of workouts to. And you can tweak them to fit you. Pilates are good for starting fitness to, POP pilates on YouTube has really good ones! If you're strapped for time HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is fast and a great workout. 12 minute Athlete, Zuzka Light, and Daily HIIT have short workouts lasting no longer than 12 minutes.

Remember abs are made in the kitchen. A successful weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

If you have no clue Adventurers are where everyone starts. They're for beginners who are unsure, and some stay there even after figuring it out.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask! PM me anytime and again, welcome.

• Like 2

Hi Quill!

Those are some awesome goals you have, I def. agree with what LostOne said, especially the 80 percent diet comment to start with weight-loss! Just remember slow and steady, small changes here and there through the weeks or months that are sustainable are best so you can revamp your lifestyle instead of feeling like you're jumping on a fitness regimen and burning yourself out in a few weeks. 

Link if you start a battlelog and I like other NF members here are always here for support and love to share what knowledge and experience we have :) Good luck on your NF journey :D 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Hey! I'm already 100% gluten free (celiac disease, diagnosed), so i'm not hugely far off paleo. I'm working on making it paleo friendlier though,

As to battle logs, I'm already tracking some things, so a few more is easy enough to add. And doing it online sounds good for an accountability factor. Right now my problems are 1) post surgery fatigue, i'm working on it though and 2) knowing what i'm doing. I get a bit confused sometimes with terminology. If someone tells me 'do this' i can usually do it, but i'm not sure i can put togehter a good exercise regime - and stick to it?

I think right now one of my next steps is going to be to get back to archery. I used to do archery (Recurve, 28 pound bow) before surgery and i think my abdominal muscles need to be used again.

And lets see if i can add some of these fast and furious exercise sessions in eh?

Thank you!

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60953-challenge-1-take-2/

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60532-battlelog-no-excuses/#entry1384657

Hi all

I signed up to here way back but needed to make a new profile. That long ago! Anyway, I'm fairly new to all this and finally started with a gym this year (following a program which I'll dig out for another post if need be) as that seemed the only way I'd keep at it. Here looking for advice on diet changes and maybe how to up my program or alternative exercise for the future. At the moment I'm just trying to improve general fitness rather than, say, hit a target weight. Hope to get some good info and stuff!

Thanks

Mike

(I have also just realised this is not a general intros thread. Sorry!)

Well th at was  a sucky start. I just did my first bodyweight workout. I sucked royally at it. I had a full abdominal hysterectomy  six weeks ago and they cut my entire abdominus rectus (abdominal muscles) from hip to hip, and i suspect some of my lats as well by the incision.

Ok i went for 1 measly circuit.

• 20 body weight squats - no problem.
  • 10 push ups ...hah! ..I managed...one..from the knees. I just dont' have any stomach muscles :nightmare:
  • 20 walking lunges - ...lets not talk about coordinated, but I managed.
  • 10 dumbbell rows (using a gallon milk jug) - no problem! 15 pound kettlebell and here I come! :nevreness:
  • 15 second plank...i managed seven seconds. Shaking. It wasnt' my arms or legs, it was the damned incision site. Apparently the lats gave me enough support to be able to keep that up to some level.
  • 30 Jumping Jacks...yeah you've got to be kidding. Not yet up to that level of bouncing i'm afraid.

I stopped before the incision got to be too achy (and yes i'm signed off by my surgeon, but that doesn't mean I'm going to push through this particular pain. Surgery pain =/= exercise pain).

Ok well at least I now have an idea where my weakness lies...(oh really? I'd have never thought). I guess I'm going to try and work on some stomach exercises in teh near future. For tonight, i'm going to hit another two rounds of dumbell rows, squats, and maybe try planking again. Anyone got any good suggestions for abdominal muscle exercises? (gentle ones?)

ok started a battel log wtih the same info so i can start keeping track....

Thanks Quill! Well, I started about March time maybe? My first program was

• Rowing machine (1000m)
  • Bench press 3x10 (2.5kg each side)
  • Rope pulldown 3x10 (3 plates)
  • Bicep curls 3x12 (7kg)
  • Tricep dips 3x15
  • Bench steps 3x10 each leg
  • Lunges 3x20
  • Plank toe touches 3X20
  • Crunches 3x15
  • Leg drops 3x15
  • Crosstrainer 10 minutes at L4
  • Bike 5 minute cooldown

In September that was reviewed and I got a new one of

• Crosstrainer 10 minutes L3
  • DB shoulder press 3x15 (6kg)
  • Seated row 3x15 (10 plates)
  • DB tricep dropdown 3x15 (7kg)
  • Cable bicep curl 3x15 (4 plates)
  • Rowing machine (1000m)
  • Elevated lunge 3x15 each leg
  • Jump squats 3x20
  • Crunch 2x20
  • Plank 2x30 seconds
  • Russian twist 2x30
  • V sit-up 2x15

For exercises 2-5 in my second program, the weights used were a bit of trial at finding what I felt able to do; with that, I'm not sure if it's consistent. From 10 plates on one to 4 plates on another? I'm also looking for tips on diet change. Or the best threads/sources for that ;)