Hello everyone, I'm Rodney aka Roughboy.  Throughout my younger years I was always active, healthy and fit.  In college I frequented the gym and played intramural sports.  I weighted in at a solid 170lbs on my 5'8" frame.  After college I got caught up in life/work and told myself "I'll get back to the gym when things settle down", well, life never settled down, and the pounds slowly began to find me till I reached my high of 207lbs two years ago.  Through an on again, off again reduced calorie diet and a fairly steady weight/cardio program I lost down to 185lbs.  Last summer I dropped the diet, while still doing a cardio (no weights) program, and now I have dropped the cardio, and the pounds are heading back, I'm back up to 195lbs at 45 years old.  Last year my job schedule changed making it exceptionally challenging to get to the gym, and for some reason, I've totally lost my motivation.  As I type this my plan was to be in the gym an hour ago, but I just don't want to go, nor do I want to head to the my garage to lift weights. I don't known what to do, that's why I am here I hope by joining a community of like minded people, I can find my motivation again. Here's to winning the battle!

find the element of intrigue....or fun, and snap it becomes a game. ;-)

I wasn't interested in the slightest until it took a geeky slant, the idea of walking 4k bores me. but the idea of getting 4k closer to Mordor? I'm game! the idea of lifting weights bores me. But leveling up my Str so I can be a kickarse gargoyle and pound through walls? Bring it!

Can you reframe it at all?

• Like 1

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60953-challenge-1-take-2/

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60532-battlelog-no-excuses/#entry1384657

"That which does not kill me had better run like hell as I'm coming for it"

I think something that helped me was the why.

Why do you want to get fit? Have a long dark tea time with the soul and figure out what you want to get out of it. When you find that reason it will keep going.

My wife and I are having trouble conceiving so we are cutting down our body fat to make that easier. That is all the motivation I need.

Will power is finite but if you have a reason to lean on there isn't anything you cant accomplish

Bjorn

Dwarven Ranger 2

Str. 2 Dex. 1 Con. 3 End. 3 Wis. 1 Cha. 1

Stronglifts 5x5

Squat (% of 270)

30%
30%

Deadlift (% of 360)

32%
32%

Overhead Press (% of 120)

50%
50%

Bench Press (% of 200)

32.5%
32.5%

Barbell Row (% of 180)

47%
47%

Thanks for the advice guys.  Quill, I generally imagine my family and I on a ship and terrorist take over, and ultimately threaten the life of my family.  Will I have the strength and endurance to protect them?   Firefly525, as for the why, mostly I just want to be healthy.  I'm a ER Nurse, so I see daily what comes from a life time of poor diet and exercise.  The most common drugs today generally compensate for lace of diet and exercise.  Also, it wouldn't hurt to look good naked! :redface-new: This is all good but I'm here because I want a group of like minded people to rally around each other to offer encouragement.  Thanks

• Like 1

Hey Roughboy

Heh, I'm a clinic nurse - I see similar tales. And I've dressed the fingers of diabetics who don't take care of their blood sugar too often. Fingers and feet, and amputations.

Just keep those images in mind, its motivating eh?

Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60953-challenge-1-take-2/

Battle Log: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/60532-battlelog-no-excuses/#entry1384657

"That which does not kill me had better run like hell as I'm coming for it"

Definitely go with the look good naked goal .... I started as a 199 lb 40 y/o ... I am now 166lbs ... Muscle definition looks good and is getting better weekly, my t-shits hang off my chest rather than ramp from the moobs to the belly

But the best bit ... I ran across a 4 lane road today ... Got to the other side and my heart rate and breathing hadn't shifted at all ... The boundless energy, recovery rate, better sleeping, no anti-acid drugs, general happiness .. All through being fitter

I wished I had had th motivation earlier !!!

Find out what motivates you, find out what your goals are and go for it

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge