Hey, my name is Erick, but my friends call me Wiggles. Found this site a few days ago and am very interested.  I am wanting to use the Paleo diet but I am not sure how much of it I can do.  I found out in April that I have End Stage Renal Disease and I have to go to dialysis 3 days a week until I get a kidney transplant.  I have to get my weight down from 285lbs to around 200lbs but would like to lose more. I have been having trouble with breaking bad habits (soda, fast food, etc.)  The main reason for the weight loss is because I cannot get a kidney transplant unless I lose the weight. Also I feel it would bring me confidence and overall I would feel better. Unfortunately I don't have much energy on the days I have dialysis and also it takes a while for me to build the energy back up after I use it.  Part of that is because I had congestive heart failure from the kidneys shutting down. Cardiologist told me that I will not be able to bounce back up when I use my energy and so far he was right.  As far as I can tell the Paleo diet is similar to the diet I am supposed to be on for dialysis so I think I can use it. I was wondering which is better for losing weight, running or bicycling? Also any recommendations on staying motivated? 

Hey, sounds like you're in for a tough time. I'm not sure about diet and exercise for your situation, but I have some advice for motivation. Start a battle log and try to be active in the online community. When I was here previously and making the most progress, I was a part of a group and very active online. Get a sidekick, get to know people. There's a lot of places to find support and it really does help.

Space_Elf, Fallohide Hobbit Level 0. STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Battle Log | 

Science fiction is an existential metaphor, that allows us to tell stories about the human condition. Isaac Asimov once said: "Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Thank you for your reply. I know I had a lot of motivation to make a change when I found out but after having surgeries and not being able to keep a steady routine because of the surgeries I ending losing the motivation. I will work on a battle log and try to be online more. I know I was trying to do it all at once and by myself at first and it just didn't work out. Again thank you for your reply. 

I would chose small things to change like drinking one less soda or switch a meal with more healthy option, unless you know you can do more. But starting battle log would be good idea.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Welcome and sorry to hear about the health issues. I would say cycling is slightly better for a beginner than running because it involves less impact. Best is to eat lots of good food to help heal and energise - vegetables, fruit, wholefoods - which should also help you cut back on sugar due to being more full and having enough nutrients. You could ease more gently into exercise because the diet is the most important thing for weight loss. Walking is great. Weight training is great. Good luck!

| STR 15 | DEX 14 | STA 14 | CON 10.5 | WIS 11 | CHA 7 | Level 5

Ocelot's Dossier - Battle Log | Springing into my Sixth Challenge!