Cosplayer?

So one of the biggest reasons I try to get into any shape other than round, is simply because I enjoy cosplaying. I started out always looking down on those types of people. To the old me it screamed of desperation and lack of self respect. I probably would have kept up that line of thinking if it wasn’t for my brother from another mother.

Every year I venture out to Colorado to pay a visit to my heterosexual life partner to play catch up on life. Three years ago that bastard ended up tricking me into venturing into what I had perceived as the largest collection of scum and villainy in the known universe, Denver Comic Con. We went to meet Stan Lee who ended up cancelling at the last minute to film a cameo to another movie.

Now what he didn’t tell me was that he spent almost two years learning how to sew to build himself a Deadpool costume. When he walked out of that bathroom dressed as everybody’s least favorite comic book character I was more than a little embarrassed. Slowly though, I noticed how my normally extremely introverted friend morphed into the ‘Merc with a Mouth’. It was simply an amazing experience to be a part of. Despite my misgivings I decided to give it a shot.

The next year I dropped some weight, built some muscle, and showed up as Eddie Riggs from Brutal Legend. I ended up not being able to bring most of my costume. The wings I had built were too fragile and broke on the plane trip there. My guitar and axe ended up getting lost at the airport along with my luggage and sent back to my home airport. Needless to say most people mistook me for Chum Lee.

God I hate that guy.

Even still, running around pretending to be another person is just so liberating that I always recommend it to anyone I meet. It also gives you this fantastic opportunity to look at yourself from another person's perspective. I get to see all the lies I told myself about my body laid bare when I try to match myself against another body type or the glaring faults of my personality. So I was just wondering if I had any brother’s in arms that also enjoy playing dress up, if so I’d love to see some cool pics.

Here are my favorites from the last two years:

My half completed Eddie Riggs. I stitched together the leather vest myself

tQZ3sHs.jpg

Lobo! Which ended up with some recycled pieces from my old costume!

1d0aUCS.jpg

• Like 1

Goal 1: To lose 90lbs!

15%
15%

Goal 2: Cut 5 minutes out of my 5k time
0%
0%

Goal 3: Complete the Spartan 300 Plank Challenge
16%
16%

Level: 0

Race: Half Orc

Battle Log Current Challenge

Strength (STR) - 0 Dexterity (DEX) - 0 Stamina (STA) - 0 Constitution (CON) - 0 Wisdom (WIS) - 0 Charisma (CHA) - 0

I only got to do cosplay once very long time ago. But I really want to cosplay as Poison Ivy for Camp NF. I would love to feel bit comfortable showing so much skin. Helps I have the bright red hair.

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I am still proud of my Joker costume and I have done Zatanna Zatara before (may do her again, her costume is not that hard to assemble for someone who has no sewing skills....like...me).  I would love to go as Satsuki Kiryuin from Kill La Kill (in her non-transformed Junketsu outfit.  I would need some serious guts to pull off her Junketsu Override costume), and I could probably pull off a mean Misty Knight (I can get my hair that wild easily).

My main issue is getting confidence to do it...and the...uh...sewing thing.  Yeah.  I'll need to learn how to sew :grumpy:

• Like 1

Race: Were-Jaguar | Class: CodeMONKey

Level: 18 | STR: 46  | DEX: 41  | STA: 35  | CON: 51  | WIS: 57 | CHA: 47

Spoiler

---

Challenges: CURRENT

18TH | 17TH | 16TH 15TH 14TH | 13TH | 12.5TH | 12TH | 11TH |

10TH | 9TH | 8TH 7TH | 6TH | 5TH | 4TH | 3RD | 2ND | 1ST

Accountbilbuddies: Artists unite for March/April 2017!

---

"Everyone's the same height when you punch them hard enough"

---

NF Character Profile | BATTLE LOG | Tumblr | DeviantArt | Warhammer 40k Shenanigans

Sewing is horrible, but through the years I've gotten better at it so I hate it a little less all the time. My hands are a little too shaky to ever be any good at it, but we always suffer for our art.

15%
15%

0%
0%

16%
16%

Strength (STR) - 0 Dexterity (DEX) - 0 Stamina (STA) - 0 Constitution (CON) - 0 Wisdom (WIS) - 0 Charisma (CHA) - 0

Can't seem to find a pic right now, but my only costume at the moment is for a Sith character I created named Darth Teros (unfinished backstory).

Sadly, I've never been to a Comic Con, in or out of costume.  Though I have plans to go to several, and one is even on my Epic Quest list.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Can't seem to find a pic right now, but my only costume at the moment is for a Sith character I created named Darth Teros (unfinished backstory).

Sadly, I've never been to a Comic Con, in or out of costume.  Though I have plans to go to several, and one is even on my Epic Quest list.  

Do it. You won't regret it. You'll have so much fun.

I did NYCC few years ago. I really want to go to Dragon Con and Geek Girl Con.

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

I've been to DCC and Minneapolis Comic Con, both will always be worth it to me.

15%
15%

0%
0%

16%
16%

I am Klingon!!!

One of the most cherished compliments anyone ever gave me was 

"You would make a beautiful Klingon".

I love Klingon everything, but I'm a little daunted by the makeup and investment in weaponry to really get the look "down". so I may have to be a Klingon fangirl like Jadzia Dax. 

320X240.jpg

And someday, I WILL belly dance with a bat'leth balanced on my head!

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

I do historical re-enacting and love wearing the costumes. I did up a cheap person's 10th Doctor for Halloween a couple years ago that I'd like to take to a con one day and I'm hoping to do a Harry Dresden costume in the next few years. I went to Dragon*Con six years ago now and loved it but haven't been able to get back to another con since.

This too, shall pass.

Cosplay is one of my favorite hobbies.  Back in college I had a heavyarms kai costume I wore to Sakuracon in Seattle 3 years running.  I've also been to Dragoncon the past 2 years as Nightcrawler.  I'll try to remember to dig up pictures when I get home.

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

Even still, running around pretending to be another person is just so liberating that I always recommend it to anyone I meet. It also gives you this fantastic opportunity to look at yourself from another person's perspective. I get to see all the lies I told myself about my body laid bare when I try to match myself against another body type or the glaring faults of my personality.

I feel the same way! I feel really self-conscious wearing form-fitting clothing, but somehow I'm able to get over it and feel confident about myself in general when I wear my Raven costume. (Teen Titans cartoon version. I wear it every year to volunteer at a superhero-themed run that supports a children's charity, and that's the version that the kids recognize.) I also don't really like little kids, but I find it very easy to interact with them as Raven. Somehow it's very satisfying to be able to fool them.

If I ever actually feel like running that race I think I'd want to do it as Deadpool--either Deadpool wearing jogging clothes with his costume or Deadpool wearing a cheap Batman costume over his costume. I don't think that Deadpool would want me to let the fact that I'm female stop me.

• Like 4

Level 2 Elf Assassin

Str: 4 | Dex: 5 | Sta: 3 | Con: 2 | Wis: 4 | Cha: 3

"When people called me freak, I closed my eyes and laughed, because they were blind to happiness." --hide

First challenge! Second challenge! Third challenge!

I would love to post my Inspector Zenigata here. However, this old, cheap, computer and Internet Explorer won't let me. :( It's my best cosplay yet, even better, I think, than my Vislor Turlough or my Tenth Doctor!

Calorie Counting/ Nutrition Tracking for a year on MyFitnessPal+Fitbit One (365 days = .27% per day, Day 74):

19.98%
19.98%

New Year's Resolution - Healthy Weight/BMI for Summer (June 1st, Get to about 130 lbs/22 BMI approx. in 152 days/21 weeks starting from 153 lbs = 4.35% per pound, currently 142):

47.85%
47.85%

Graduate Culinary School {20% per section: F.O.H. ( A ), Hot Foods ( C ), Garde Manger [Cold Foods], Bakeshop, Test}     Passed Certifications: ServSafe, Management

40%
40%

Fitbit, MyFitnessPal

Intro  Challenges: 1 2 Reset 3

So I was talking to a friend yesterday about a small Con here in mid-Missouri next June.  We're thinking about going.  The theme is "Space Salvage" or something like that.  We figured there'd be 11ty billion Firefly cosplays and wanted to do something different.  Which kinda sucks because I've always wanted to do Firefly.  Love that show!  Shiny.  

But I digress.  We sorta-kinda settled on doing a Steampunk-Star Wars mashup.  She's looking into a Queen Amidala cosplay, and I might modify my Sith with a few Steampunk pieces.  I've never really been a fan of the whole steampunk thing, but I think this could be fun.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

So I used to cosplay LOTS back in the early 2000's...  I went through my old cosplay.com account and dug up some of my favorites!  Keep in mind that these were all handmade back in the day when cosplay wasn't so prominent and you really had to source a lot of random things to construct stuff, and cameras weren't as 'awesome' as they are now...! @_@;

gallery_31887_1541_38726.jpg

My very first cosplay!!  Kidd from Chrono Cross, 2002.

gallery_31887_1541_2634.jpg

Lilly from Suikoden III, 2003.  I hated her character XD but we resembled each other a -lot- soooo....

gallery_31887_1541_6980.jpg

Nanami from Suikoden II, in 2005.  Sensing a Suikoden theme??  I loved II and was beyond psyched to be Nanami and pose with an awesome weapon!

gallery_31887_1541_28686.jpg

Paine from FFX2, in 2005?  This was a fascinating exploration into RIT dye, spandex, and wig construction.

gallery_31887_1541_276012.png

Camus, Suikoden II, either 04 or 05.  Probably my favorite character, loved cosplaying as a redheaded male knight! I also got to construct linebacker armor out of plastic cross-stitch squares, hot glue, and fabric, that was a blast.   ....

I actually cosplayed a lot more males than I did females (even though photos are mostly female characters) - Yohji from Weiss Kreuz, Setzer from FFIV, KH Squall, Ed from FMA - but don't have any (or many good) photos.  I kinda prefer cosplaying males! ^_^

Looking forward to cosplaying for the first time in almost 10 years at Camp NF, and getting back into shape so I can rock it out!!! :D

• Like 3

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

That's really cool.  I've always wanted to do the Lich King from World of Warcraft, but it would be a massively expensive cosplay to make.

That would be AMAAZZIINNGGG

We actually had one of the limited edition Frostmourne swords they made when that xpac came out and hung it on the wall... sadly, sold it last year!  That thing was mighty though.

• Like 2

That would be AMAAZZIINNGGG

We actually had one of the limited edition Frostmourne swords they made when that xpac came out and hung it on the wall... sadly, sold it last year!  That thing was mighty though.

I'm 8 shades of jealous!  If I'd known you were selling it I'd have bought it in a heartbeat!  That sword is on my shortlist of top swords to buy.  Also, Shadowmourne, but it's not quite as cool as Frostmourne. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I always wanted to build both the corrupted Ashbringer and its pristine counterpart as one sword. Never got around to it though.

• Like 1

15%
15%

0%
0%

16%
16%

I'm 8 shades of jealous!  If I'd known you were selling it I'd have bought it in a heartbeat!  That sword is on my shortlist of top swords to buy.  Also, Shadowmourne, but it's not quite as cool as Frostmourne. 

I took some cool pictures of it before it got sold! This was last year anyways, so it's been out of our hands for a while..

gallery_31887_1503_89105.jpg

• Like 1

I have never actually done a cosplay before, but I'm currently working on building a costume for an OC that I pray to high heaven is going to be done in time for Emerald City Comic Con.  It's been a slow, expensive process.

This is like, the ONLY reason I am at all hesitant to lose weight. XD Now that the weight is actually coming off, by the time ECCC rolls around, I'll have to make some modifications to it. Not that I would complain... but y'know. More work. 

• Like 3