Hello to everyone in the rebellion

Hello to everyone, my name is Don the barbarian.

I have been reading the Nerd Fitness articles and the forums for a while, but I haven't had the courage to join the rebellion until today. I don’t have a lot of friends to look to for support, and things in my life have changed causing me to withdraw even more. So I am reaching out to the coolest group of people that share similar interests as me.

I am 40 years old overweight former athlete, swimmer, who still lifts weights 3 to 4 days a week. I just got back into studying Shaolin kung fu a couple of months ago. I have studied various martial arts over the last 14 years. I have studied kenpo karate, kung fu, tai chi, aikido, and now back to kung fu. I would study for a while and because I would move, have to stop one and start another in my new area.

I was always into science fiction and fantasy stories and movies. Three years ago, I rediscovered my love of Conan the Cimmerian stories and movies. Since that time, I have been reading anything I can find about Conan and his adventures. Books, comics, movies, you name it.  The only person cooler to me is Indiana Jones, but that is for a completely different reason.

Two years ago, my job at my company changed and I work out of my house now. Since then I don’t interact with a lot of people any more. I am not shy or anything, I am just not outgoing and tend to be a homebody. So I don’t interact socially with a lot of people any more. When I worked in a office, I would be able to talk to different people and have lunch with my colleagues. But I don’t have that anymore, and I have become more introverted and socialize even less now. So I am hoping that by working on the different challenges and other ideas presented here, I’ll learn to become more outgoing and to do things that I want to experience. Just as Gandalf said the Bilbo, “The world is not in you books and maps. It’s out there.â€

So I am here to venture forth in search of fortune and glory. May I prove myself on the field of honor with the other brave men and women of the rebellion.

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."

- Conan the Cimmerian in the story Queen of the Black Coast

Hi Don! I'm a total homebody too, though working from home sounds great to me :) I also studied Shaolin and Hung Gar kung fu in high school and a little in college -- cheers! 

I'm new to the forums, too. Kinda feels like this:

bilboadventure.gif

Anyway, welcome! :) 

Multiclassed Knife Dancer [Warrior Monk Range-sassin and Druid-in-training]

"Tiny, but FIERCE!" -The Dresden Files

CHALLENGE FIVE HERE!

Spoiler

These are all old:

Challenges: 1 | 2 3 | 4 

Post-CNF2015 Battle Log

Say hi IRL: Instagram Facebook NF Profile

Welcome fellow enjoy of Robert E. Howard's yarns!  You are in the right place to become the barbarian you want to be. 

giphy.gif

I have 3 tomes of Conan - The Coming of Conan the CimmarianThe Bloody Crown of Conan and The Conquering Sword of Conan which are as far as I know all of Howard's Conan works. I also have the two Conan books that Robert Jordan did before going off to do Wheel of Time.

Like I said, welcome! 

01183811.gif

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback

Thanks to snowfox and Strickland5 for the warm welcomes.

snowfox,

I feel the same way, and it is nice to be a part of such a great community. I just got to see the last of the Hobbit movies last night. I liked it, sorry to see the end of Middle Earth on the big screen. What am I going to look forward to next year?

Strickland5,

I am going to be reading The Coming of Conan the Cimmarian on my flight to Mexico for vacation. I got it for a pre-Christmas gift, so I am looking foward to it.

• Like 1

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me. I live, I burn with life, I love, I slay, and am content."

- Conan the Cimmerian in the story Queen of the Black Coast

Now I'm going to have to re-read Conan as it has been a while ... then maybe The Black Company

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37 #38 #39 #40
Current Challenge Don't Call It A Comeback