Minimalism, and the minimalist lifestyle

I have a small collection of DVDs that I intend on getting rid of.  I haven't decided if I'll just donate them all or deal with the hassle of selling them in batches on Kijiji.

But my biggest source of stuff is definitely books.  I love physical books in my hand and the smell of old pages.  I'm just not sure I can give my library up.

But I'm definitely intending to downsize this summer.  I know there are a lot of books in my collection that I won't read for the first time or ever reread.  So it's time for them to fly off to the used bookstore!

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I have a small collection of DVDs that I intend on getting rid of.  I haven't decided if I'll just donate them all or deal with the hassle of selling them in batches on Kijiji.

But my biggest source of stuff is definitely books.  I love physical books in my hand and the smell of old pages.  I'm just not sure I can give my library up.

But I'm definitely intending to downsize this summer.  I know there are a lot of books in my collection that I won't read for the first time or ever reread.  So it's time for them to fly off to the used bookstore!

I spent the past week in Phoenix and they had these cool little 'libraries' throughout the neighborhood. It was essentially just a large mailbox with books in it, where you can take or leave books as you wish. I thought it was great, I wish they had something like that in my area.

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

I spent the past week in Phoenix and they had these cool little 'libraries' throughout the neighborhood. It was essentially just a large mailbox with books in it, where you can take or leave books as you wish. I thought it was great, I wish they had something like that in my area.

Most of the time with those little libraries, it isn't an I wish "they" had thing, it is more of a I wish "someone" thing; at least around me most of them are not publically built. I've often contemplated making one to put in front of our house. They are great for kids books.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/8726158/list/book-it-bring-a-mini-library-to-your-front-yard

With another kiddo on the way, I might get serious about making one this summer.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Two new books - nothing particularly new, but I'm also a big believer in exploring many different approaches to find a truth for yourself.

"Tidying Up" and "Stuffocation".

http://www.wsj.com/articles/marie-kondo-and-the-tidying-up-trend-1424970535

WOOT!!!

got my new bedroom set up... my daughter said "it's so minimilist!!"

I think that wins :)

11136289_10204667956833732_3214644686492

paring things down... little by little so they don't complain

• Like 3

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I haven't done any of the minimalizing I had intended to get on with this past Challenge.

All of my intentions are still there but none of the execution or follow through.

Time to find a blog to re-motivate me to knuckle down!

• Like 1

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Cleaned out the closet this past weekend.

DSCN0578

Left is nos, middle is maybes, right is keeps. It was hard work and took a few hours, but so worth it! I still feel like I have a lot more work to do, but this was a great first step.

No's will be given to my sister or sold on craiglist, maybes are in a box under my bed, keeps are back in the closet.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Free E-book today!!!

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00UZED9NQ/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_2072681282?ie=UTF8&%252AVersion%252A=1&%252Aentries%252A=0

Haven't read it so can't speak to it's merits, but thought I'd share!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

Free E-book today!!!

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00UZED9NQ/ref=smi_www_rco2_go_smi_2072681282?ie=UTF8&%252AVersion%252A=1&%252Aentries%252A=0

Haven't read it so can't speak to it's merits, but thought I'd share!

I took a quick peek at the preview.  It looks badly written (I see at least three typos in the introduction alone) and I decided not to "clutter" my schedule with it.  But thanks for the tip!  Hope you get more out of it than I did.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Took some books to my college library for donations.

As a confirmed minimalist, I can tell you it is a lifestyle, and not just a weekend moment - though weekend bursts are great ways to get to where you want to be.

Sent from my KFAPWA using Tapatalk

• Like 1

&Heidi

Spoiler

Gypsy Druid  Level 12 Philosopher and level 11 Librarian (built on the Monk class, with a training path in The Way of the Cobalt Soul)

Ranger1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 ::

Druid8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |:: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |:: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |:: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |:: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |:: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |:: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | :: 70 |

Paladin71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | :: 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 |

Shaman: 82 | 83 | 84

Philosopher-Librarian 85 |:: 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 |

Heidi Chronicles  NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed| MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

Walk to Mordor - (spreadsheet) Let's catch up: https://calendly.com/loveandpeace

I finally purged away most of the contents of my trinket box, and then went on to purge my bedside table, and another box, and my kitchen drawers.

It's a process, and it feels wonderful. Also found $40 in a Christmas card while I was going through things.  Definitely cause for celebration (and funds to feed me with)!

• Like 1

The life changing magic of tidying up by Marie Kondo.

She is from Japan and has a very different take on de cluttering. Dont be rational and logical, go by your feelings. Does this item spark joy when you touch it? If it does, keep it. If it doesn't give it away. The life changing magic is that once you have gone through your home and are surrounded only by things that spark joy, you know who you are.

Wonderful book, I highly recommend it and her philosophy.

Seconded! Kondo's book is not specifically about minimalism, but her method is the perfect explanation of how to declutter for a minimalist lifestyle.

A few of her other key points:

• Don't just throw away a few items gradually - declutter everything in one big push and if you do it right (using her method) you'll never have to do it again
  • When it's hard to let go of possessions because you feel bad for discarding them, say thank you to them for what they've done for you and that makes it a little easier
  • Start with things that are easier to go through like clothes and once you've built momentum and willpower finish with the things that are hardest, like mementos
  • Cherish the things you do have - fold clothes properly, be gentle with your things, appreciate them for what they do for you
  • Like 5

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Another article on Minimalism.  All that is old is new again. :D

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/01/do-something-decluttering

Two things I really need to get to work on are my DVD and book collections.

I'm going to donate most of the books I will never read again to a local second hand book store because they give store credit toward new books.  What have people done with their DVDs?

I donated my DVD s to a local after school program. ... but 90% of them were pg and pg13.....

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I donated my DVD s to a local after school program. ... but 90% of them were pg and pg13.....

don't sweat it, PG-13 doesn't seem to mean a thing to most modern parents.  I saw four-year-olds at the "Avengers" flick the other day, no joke.  (They babbled through most of the movie.)

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I meant. ... i wouldn't have donated them if they were more than pg13 to an after school program ;) is have sent them somewhere else

Spoiler

You can also donate them to libraries usually. Or sell them on ebay/craiglists.

Current Challenge

Instagram | Goodreads

http://www.today.com/home/life-changing-magic-tidying-testing-marie-kondos-method-t21356?cid=sm_fbn

Marie Kondo's "Art of Tidying" in under a minute three minutes (give or take).

• Like 3

I've been slowly decluttering my apartment and garage the last few months.  The inside of the apartment is done with sweep 1 and now I'm on the garage.  I had boxes in there that hadn't been opened in 13 years!  I've given away so much and thrown out so much that it's amazing.  I have about 15 boxes left to go through in the garage.

• Like 1

Self discipline is the ability to do what you should do, when you should do it, whether you feel like it or not.