New Guy Saying Hi

Hi!

Ok, here's the introduction now.  I'm a 51 year old male, old-school nerd.  Been working as a programmer for almost 30 years, believe it or not on mainframes.  Currently doing Cobol/Natural with some Pl/I and SAS, in the past I've done Ramis and a bunch of other technologies.  Really cut my nerd teeth in the early 80's on my TRS-80 Model 3 playing adventure games.  I currently live in NJ and work in NYC.

Oh, the stories I could tell (and probably will).

So what am I doing here?

Well, in early November I had my annual check-up, I found I'd gained some weight, my blood pressure was up, and my cholesterol was high.  I started making an effort to get more exercise (walking) and eating better, but a follow up showed the BP still high so the doc put me on blood pressure meds.  I lost about 20 pounds by early January, but my cholesterol went even higher (I've since learned a temporary increse is common when losing weight), the doctor prescribed statins for me which I refused to take.  

So how did I find Nerd Fitness?

Last week I noticed that my weight loss had plateaued at about 25 pounds lost, so I decided to add some strength training to my walking routine.  And I found the beginners body weight workout, starting browsing the other articles, and here I am.

At age 51, this is the first time I'm actually trying to get in shape.  When I embarked on this journey I knew I had to do something I could stick with.  Again, age 51, I've got myself pretty well figured out.  I get up at 5:00 am to go to work, generally get home around 7, so getting up earlier or getting home later ain't gonna cut it.  Since I commute by public transportation, I get off the subway a stop before my "normal" stop, giving me a ten minute walk each morning and evening.  I take about a 40 minute walk at lunchtime (I eat at my desk anyway).  I've started an every-other-day routine of push-ups, squats, dumbbell rows and planks.

Goals?  Get off the BP meds, stay off statins, get healthier.  I already feel better, and my clothes are getting looser.  

• Like 1