Competed for the First Time

This weekend was intense. I participated in my first ever CrossFit competition! I ended up toward the back of the pack, but that doesn't matter.  I had an absolute blast!

I definitely went too hard on the first event on Saturday (3 rounds: 10 ground to overhead @ 95 lbs/ burpee broad jumps).  It certainly had me on my heels afterward, wondering if I had made the right choice. I spent the hours between events full of doubts.

The second event came (7 minutes AMRAP: 15 deadlifts @ 185 lbs, 15 box jumps @ 24", 15 pull ups), and I was pretty sure that I wasn't ready. I went out there, nervous as all get out, and I gave it my best. Afterward, to my surprise, I felt great.

Sunday, after a good night's sleep, I checked my standing.  Since I was nowhere near the top, I decided that I just wanted to push myself and have fun.

The third event (5 rounds: 30 sec toes to bar, 30 sec rest, 75 sec row for calories, 15 sec rest) seemed to breeze by and I felt like I did well. I was tired after it, but not knocked down.

The fourth event (max clean and jerk) was in my wheelhouse so I just sat back and had fun. It was a blast hanging out with the other competitors between lifts and cheering them on.  I ended up getting 10 lbs below my 1 rep max, but after all I'd been through this weekend, I was happy with that!

Overall, I had a good time. I'm looking forward to learning more over the next year and maybe competing again. I definitely learned a few things:

• Proper nutrition and hydration are VERY IMPORTANT.  I almost knocked myself out on the first event by not paying attention to them.  Some fixes, and everything else went smoothly.
  • Aside from a few outliers, everyone is there to have fun.  They all have your backs, ready with high fives and words of encouragement. 
  • I can push harder than I thought I could.  I need to work on my engine, but I showed myself that I can do it.

I may not have won. Hell, I didn't even come close to making the cut for finals. But I competed. And I pushed myself. And I finished.

WOOT!!!!

post-9629-0-49107800-1421786131_thumb.jp

post-9629-0-57843700-1421786137_thumb.jp

post-9629-0-12001800-1421786144_thumb.jp

post-9629-0-49107800-1421786131_thumb.jp

post-9629-0-57843700-1421786137_thumb.jp

post-9629-0-12001800-1421786144_thumb.jp

• Like 2

"Whether or not you can never become great at something, you can always become better at it." -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine." - Neil Armostrong

Current ChallengeCrossFit Open Profile